IGNORED

Pewdiepie Is Now Pretty Much Inarguably Racist

Comrade

And today's video (suggested to me after watching the clip in which he casually uses the word "nigger" as a slur) is him denying climate change with a garnish of denying sexism, laughing at people being "woke" and hating on Jennifer Lawrence. That is, whilst millions of people have been evacuated and are losing their homes and livelihoods, he decided it was worth making a video telling people off for making a political point about climate change and the severity of these hurricanes (as if it was irrelevant to the future incidence and impact of severe weather that the president is a climate change denier who has pledged support to polluting energy industries and scrapped flood protections). And it ends with a beautiful lack of irony in his last line that "it annoys me to see people using tragedies to promote their own thoughts and opinions". 

Great guy. I'm sure it is purely coincidental he recurrently uses racism and antisemitism in his edginess and nothing to do with sharing some rather nasty underlying values with the alt-right.

I used to run a number of Counterstrike servers and the most common insult thrown out was either Jew or Nigger. Considering you literally couldn't tell if the person at the other end was either I have to assume that an entire generation have grown up with words like that as almost a generic insult. I don't know how many of them literally hated Jews or black people but I'm assuming it was less than the very sizable amount who used the insults. 

None of this precludes Mr Pie from being a cunt and a racist of the highest order but I'm also presuming that he's been in that end of the gaming culture for so long that insults like that have just become ingrained and a habit. Like rape talk in the fighting games scene. I'm guessing most of the people in the audience at an event shouting "Rape the bitch" generally aren't rapists. Just arseholes who should know better.

He does need kicking the fuck off Youtube mind you. If nothing else for the influence his shithead videos have on kids.

NB (I think he's racist too. Just commenting that some words in some scenes have become a generic insult despite their real meaning. Especially for the younger people)

15 minutes ago, deKay said:

I may regret asking this, but what is "woke"?

It's been used by black American activists for a few years to describe white people who "get" the daily struggles of being black and actively want to do something about it. It originates from a song lyric but I can't remember which.

Recently a lot of white people have heard it and are using it in a pejorative sense.

The idea that these words can drop out of a person's mouth without them being completely legitimised internally is bollocks. I can't be the only person that feels like they need to give it a 'run up' in their head just to think it.

2 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Amazing to read a few pages ago people insisting he wasn't an alt-reich dickhead and those dastardly SJWs are once again the real problem.

Hi buizel, gizamaluke

Happy to admit being wrong. I just thought he was a basic idiot, but this is a lot more concerning. He's picked up another 4 mill subs since the start of this thread and I can only see him getting more after this as the anti left brigade rally around their champ.

Pewdiepie has always been a total dick. I knew a guy who was friends with him, supported him (I think also financially) and as soon as Pew hit fame he dropped him, screwing him over in the process. I am not really into the whole YouTube stars world, and I never heard of Pewdiepie until I asked the guy what's going on, but yeah. He's a tosser.

10 hours ago, bradigor said:

I spoke with my son (10) about this earlier this evening. He said he doesn't watch him as he is a bit rubbish, but wouldn't watch him now anyway after hearing how horrible he is. 

I've stopped my kids watching him because he's a racist, but the bonus is that he's also a fucking idiot, his videos are shit, and I don't have to see/hear them anymore.

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

He's a bellend, his videos are shit, YouTube should ban him. How do idiots like this become famous and make multi-million pounds per year???

People are thick. A lot of the other people are children.

On 11/09/2017 at 07:25, Doctor Shark said:

He's a bellend, his videos are shit, YouTube should ban him. How do idiots like this become famous and make multi-million pounds per year???

There is a saying on imgur that step one is be good looking. But the other thing is to be someone early in the uptake of a new medium. Felix was basically a good looking guy who didn't take himself too seriously talking about games on YouTube before that became ubiquitous. He was accessible, felt like your mate, used repetitive catch phrases and made people feel a sense of belonging. And some of his early videos where he failed to control simple games were funny and endearing.

On 11/09/2017 at 01:13, MidWalian said:

Oh, the "woke" thing again.

Who started that nonsense?

I first heard it on dear white people, which probably hastened its spread.

On 11/09/2017 at 08:14, MechE said:

It's been used by black American activists for a few years to describe white people who "get" the daily struggles of being black and actively want to do something about it. It originates from a song lyric but I can't remember which.

Recently a lot of white people have heard it and are using it in a pejorative sense.

Indeed, but I would add that like "virtue signaling" it has been twisted to be said with scorn, as if people who care about issues like racism are doing it as shallow posturing to make themselves look better, rather than as genuinely held beliefs about fairness and equality. And like SJW or virtue signaling I consider using woke in this way a flag towards the company a person keeps and a reason their opinion doesn't matter to me.

There's a youtuber called Maximillian Dood who mainly does fighting game related content who let slip the N word a while ago.  It was on a stream of For Honor (I think?) and there was a move in there that had a stupid name, so when he landed killing blows he did announced a made up name for it which also had a stupid name, like "killed him with the Flim Flam Jimmy Jam".  In one bit he killed someone and said something like "got him with the Dinger Gagger Nigger Dagger".  His defence (as much as he used it as a defence) was that he was trying to come up with stuff on spot that kind of rhymed or where the words were similar and it just popped out.  He also says that while thats a reason, it's not an excuse, totally owns it and claims responsibility for saying it.  You can tell he's very upset that he said it or that people he knows may have been hurt by it.  He's very close to a number of black people in the gaming community, especially the fighting game world, which isnt to invoke the "he's got black friends so he cant be racist" - its more that it made him more upset if anything that he let that slip on stream. 

I'm guessing pewdiepie will do none of that.  If fact, I'll predict what he will do.

- show more annoyance at the coverage he's getting because of it than remorse, and complain that he's being hounded

- half heartedly apologise, saying he's not racist, this was just a slip of the tongue

- bring up examples of other peoples racism not being made a big of a deal about to imply that people only care about going after him.

- say something like "its just words, we should all just love each other and not get so upset".

It also sets a pretty big precedent with the decision from the Firewatch devs to state they're issuing DMCAs on their vids.  For the longest time, creators have being saying that lets plays constitute fair use, claiming that the "personality" of the lets player makes it transformative, and thusly, falls under fair use.  This is despite the stuff with Nintendo not long ago not allowing lets plays of Nintendo games unless you were part of their creator program.  It seems like not only have people forgotten that, but assumed that DMCA claims were not valid because if appealed, the video would get re-instated unless it went to court and the claimant actually sued.  So far, no one went further, so there is no actual legal precedent.

Whats more is that recently there was a case which potentially could influence this, with Ethan Klein of H3H3 being sued for copyright infringement by someone after they did a reaction video to some of their content.  Ethan won that case, because the judge ruled that while Ethan used that persons content, they added enough of their own content to the video, which allowed it to fall under fair use.  If you've ever seen any of the videos on his channel, his reaction stuff is very much not the typical "guy plays the whole of someone elses video with their face in the corner, they add a lot of their own stuff to the video.  The judge specifically commented that this ruling "does not make all reaction videos fair use", essentially saying that adding your face to a box in the corner and talking does not mean fair use.  This could very easily translate to lets players.

A few lawyers have looked at this and think that the Firewatch devs have a case.  If they persue it, and PDP attempts to fight it, they could win, and that could be huge for the lets play community.  If precedent is set, it could mean that lets players have to be incredibly careful with what games they play, or devs could effectively blanket ban their game from youtube.

Basically, not content with fucking up ad revenue for youtubers, he thought he'd see if he could fuck up copyright for them too....

People stick up for PewDiePie because they think if he goes down, so do their dreams of making millions from doing very little with even less talent.

If anything his presence as a figurehead is now holding YouTubers back. Some of them have noticed.