rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Comrade

Pewdiepie Is Now Pretty Much Inarguably Racist

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/02/14/disney-drops-pewdiepie-over-anti-semitic-jokes

Disney Drops Pewdiepie Over Anti-Semitic Jokes
By Nathan Grayson on 14 Feb 2017 at 8:00AM

Maker Studios, a division of Disney, just severed their deal with YouTube megastar Pewdiepie. They pointed to a (now-deleted) January 11th video in which Pewdiepie paid two men to hold up a sign that read, “Death To All Jews.”

The Wall Street Journal reports that Pewdiepie had editorial independence in his deal, but this was a bridge too far.

“Although Felix has created a following by being provocative and irreverent, he clearly went too far in this case and the resulting videos are inappropriate,” said a spokeswoman for Maker Studios.

YouTube, meanwhile, declined to comment on Pewdiepie’s videos. However, their policy toward this kind of thing is more lenient than Disney’s. “If content is intended to be provocative or satirical, it may remain online,” they said. “If the uploader’s intent is to incite violence or hatred it will be removed.”

According to WSJ, Pewdiepie has posted nine videos that include anti-Semitic content since August. Three, the one from January 11th and two others from January 17th and January 22nd, have been taken down. One of those depicted a man dressed as Jesus Christ saying, “Hitler did absolutely nothing wrong.”

In the “Death To All Jews” video, Pewdiepie, who hired the men via freelancer site Fiverr, reportedly said, “I didn’t think they would actually do it.” The Indian men later apologised in a video, saying, “we really don’t know what the message meant when making the video.” All three were banned from Fiverr. Pewdiepie pleaded for the service to un-ban the two men, but it doesn’t appear to have been effective.

Pewdiepie is a hugely prominent public figure no matter how you slice it, and his recent gaffes have prompted reactions from all corners of the Internet. People on YouTube came to his defence, believing he was simply telling un-PC “jokes.” However, he also received support from places like neo-Nazi website Daily Stormer, which reportedly changed its name to “The world’s #1 PewDiePie fansite” late last month.

In a recent Tumblr post, Pewdiepie addressed the controversy. Here’s what he wrote:

“I think it’s important to say something and I want to make one thing clear: I am in no way supporting any kind of hateful attitudes.”

“I make videos for my audience. I think of the content that I create as entertainment, and not a place for any serious political commentary. I know my audience understand that and that is why they come to my channel. Though this was not my intention, I understand that these jokes were ultimately offensive.”

“As laughable as it is to believe that I might actually endorse these people, to anyone unsure on my standpoint regarding hate-based groups: No, I don’t support these people in any way.”

Jonathan Vick, an associate director of the Anti-Defamation League who spoke to WSJ, however, summed up the real world consequences of Pewdiepie’s actions nicely. “Just putting it out there brings it more and more into the mainstream,” he said.

Now Pewdiepie will have to face some consequences of his own.

How were they a supposed to be a joke? Was there some context that the report is missing? Because having someone hold up a sign that says Death to Jews (or in fact Death to any person, race or religion) without any other context surely can't be argued to be funny. I mean I can't imagine any context would have made it funny, I'm just trying to get my head round it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Surely there was some context, though? It's easy to read the news reports and think FUCKING HELL.

Only because I don't think real anti-Semites are that stupid.

When things like this are presented, something that makes you incredulous, then I'd like to know the full story. Alas I can't be bothered looking into it.

So it's either taken out of context or he's deliberately commited career suicide. Maybe bored of it.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

How were they a supposed to be a joke? Was there some context that the report is missing? Because having someone hold up a sign that says Death to Jews (or in fact Death to any person, race or religion) without any other context surely can't be argued to be funny. I mean I can't imagine any context would have made it funny, I'm just trying to get my head round it.

It's the modern day version of the old "I'll do anything to be on TV" skit that used to be on The Word on channel 4. THese days can pay peopel to do literally anything for $5. That was the context.

3 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

It's the modern day version of the old "I'll do anything to be on TV" skit that used to be on The Word on channel 4. THese days can pay peopel to do literally anything for $5. That was the context.

It wasn't people though, was it. It was agencies.

Just now, PeteBrant said:

Well, same thing I guess. I don't know if it's funny, but that was his aim.

No, there's a difference between asking two poor farmers to say things for £5. That's a real cunt's trick. Doing it to expose a... Oh, I don't know his intentions. There is a difference though.

Sat through a couple of minutes of one of his videos. Didn't strike me as particularly thick. 

Maybe I'm over defending him because Stan and I were nearly arrested for a story which was the opposite of racism but a couple of people were too thick to notice and read it as real racism. If you selected a few quotes it'd be rascist as hell.

I can see what he was trying to do, but he didn't really think it through did he. stupid millionaire.  Then they started sifting back to find any other red (black and white) flags, and he got caught.

• Upvote 1

I don't think he thought it through; or he thought it'd get censored - whatever you may think; the laughing and racism is pretty evocative. It's still pretty fucking stupid but I don't think his intention was to incite racism.

And the funny guys apologising:

Moral of the story? Racism isn't funny, guys.

The problem with this kind of stuff is that if you don't really nail what you're trying to do, you'll end up attracting real racists, and just reinforcing their misinformed, misguided opinions. 

As for context, when you have people such as Steve Bannon trying to incite a race war in the US, it's probably not the best thing to be attempting right now.

• Upvote 3

“I make videos for my audience. I think of the content that I create as entertainment, and not a place for any serious political commentary."

Ah the old 'It's just bantz m8' defence, very popular in Off-Topic at the moment as well.

• Upvote 5

The best thing you can do about making racist comments is not make them at all. Just leave it. If you have to explain a "joke" or an ironic statement, you are fucked.

The line of satire and irony is such a fine one in a thick persons world, its not even worth bothering with. Everyone is an arm chair critic and keyboard warrior. 

If in doubt, leave it alone

Leave irony and satire to the pros, like Chris Morris. He makes shows about such fantastical nonsense to start with you know its a joke. Just randomly throwing out irony and then having to explain doesn't work

• Upvote 3

Just now, wretcherd said:

diehard16.jpg

So you're saying that terrorists demanded that he do this or they'd detonate a bomb, and that he's a hero for sacrificing his reputation to save countless people?

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, Gizamaluke said:

What bothers me more about this story isn't that some spoiled Swedish rich kid acted like a dickhead, it's that a service exists where rich westerners can pay third worlders peanuts to dance for them in front of a webcam. Leaves a nasty taste, but I guess that's the world we live in.

isn't this the same reason why 2 girls 1 cup exists?

• Upvote 1

Actually just read a defence of it which suggests it was actually pretty funny.

Haven't actually watched it, though. But nor have any of you.

Not sure I agree that making a joke involving racism should be out of bounds just because thickos might disagree.