Project CARS 2 - The ‘ultimate driver journey’

McSpeed

It sounds as though the AI is hardly any better than PCARS1 which is a shame. It took Kunos a long time to get it right (or at least close) with AC so given history I have little hope for improvements in PCARS2.

If only they'd scale back their ambition to GT or Touring cars or something similar and get the fundamentals right they'd probably be able to make an outstanding title  but as it is it appears to be another inconsistent title with major ups and downs.

I'm glad I tried out custom event first because it's excellent. Especially the ability to pick the classes of car you want in the race. I had great LeMans series style races at Watkins Glen, a 50 car road trip in California and a full tilt track car battle in Scotland.

I say this because the karting is still utter, utter trash.  Just skip it and start your career in something else. Lifeless poorly modelled generic kart on tracks almost universally too small for them.

I've finished my first 2 seasons of Ginetta's and didn't have to do any karts. The Ginetta is lovely to drive.

I chose to run a Radical in my next series and it's so damn twitchy. I want to quit that series and chose another instead but what a surprise I can't see a way to do it!  This game!!!! :doh:

I found the Radical amazing but then i'm using a wheel. The trick is not to brake whilst cornering if you can help it - change down whilst turning if you have too on slow to slower corners - like Fuji.

One thing pCARS gets right is the it makes tracks i usually find crap (like Fuji) - much, much better just to drive. Go and play any Gran Turismo with Fuji and its just dull in comparison.

It looks miles better - sure, but feels miles worse and lacks speed intensity because of that graphical fidelity and lack of in game FFB.

To be honest, AC gets it perfect really. You gain graphical fidelity and get fantastic FFB but i found pC2 to be relatively close in tyre slip.

Its odd how AC seems so much smoother then PCars2. Both locked/Vsync 60fps.

Probably a combination of everything....can't quite put my finger on it.

So I love this.

But it has one horribly game breaking issue.

You can't change the length of career qualifying sessions, the Clios are 30 minutes.

You can't accelerate the time of qualifying sessions because they removed that option.

If you skip a session midway, the opponents all magically find 5 seconds from nowhere.

So career mode is essentially unplayable because for reasons best known to themselves they've removed the 2 options that allow you to bypass the bug that's been there since GTR2.

Which is a damn shame, because the first race in the Clio cup reminded me how much nothing simulates how I feel in a real life race like Pcars, but I drove from 12th to 5th before I ran out of time while setting fastest lap, 5 seconds slower than they all qualified.

I've found that sometimes happens, and other times i place mid table although i'd set the AI to under 80%. (actually it was default when i was qualifying in career but i've been looking at the tracks on single race since).

BTW - go and run Portugal. Its fantastic - so glad they added that as i only had modded version on my sims. 

I hope they fix the bugs man....so annoying.

6 hours ago, Dudley said:

If you skip a session midway, the opponents all magically find 5 seconds from nowhere.

So career mode is essentially unplayable because for reasons best known to themselves they've removed the 2 options that allow you to bypass the bug that's been there since GTR2.

My biggest beef by far. I just don't see how shit like that can get past testing. Sloppy really. Loving the driving though.

It's not even the bug, pretty much every driving game ever has had weird results when entirely skipping sessions, it's literally removing 2 features for absolutely no reason I can see. Especially when either of them count as workarounds to the bug (and are also options in every sim ever).

Like right now I couldn't recommend the game to anyone else on that basis, because it doesn't to my mind have a career mode you can play. Which given in every other respect it's right up there is terrible.

Yeah in Pcars 1 I only ever really did the Clio cup in the career and it was fantastic fun - really exciting racing  that took me back to playing the full-length races ToCA 2 on the PSX and PC and gave that similar feeling (on a sort of emotional sense) to doing a real kart race, where the adrenaline's flowing.

But with FM7 out this week, I think I'll skip pcars2 until it's been out a few months and had a couple of patches.

Did the Ginetta practise half hour at Oulton Park with the pad reconfigured to the settings in the video I posted earlier. Was getting the hang of it but still off the pace. Watched the replay then it crashed when I quit out. Stories coming out of how all console QA was farmed out and it shows. I'll keep diving in for a session here and there but it's clearly needing some stability patches and was rushed out early.

Anyone using a Thrustmaster T300 RS (especially on PS4) and able to recommend some settings? The default wheel settings do a decent job but I'm looking to get it as good as (if not better than) PCARS 1.

I'm a bit sad Project CARS 2 (on PS4 at least) turned out as unfinished as the first game, even after the day one patch. Will stick with it and hopefully put some good hours in over the weekend to get more into the groove.

Anyone up for online races, too? :)

7 hours ago, RFT said:

gave that similar feeling (on a sort of emotional sense) to doing a real kart race, where the adrenaline's flowing.

Yeah, it's a little different to properly explain but exactly this. I'm not sure what it is but I'm setting them up, chasing them down, working out distances, judging my position in packs all like I'd do in a real race and that I just don't seem to have to do in the likes of Forza and GT.

8 hours ago, McSpeed said:

Anyone using a Thrustmaster T300 RS (especially on PS4) and able to recommend some settings? The default wheel settings do a decent job but I'm looking to get it as good as (if not better than) PCARS 1.

I'm a bit sad Project CARS 2 (on PS4 at least) turned out as unfinished as the first game, even after the day one patch. Will stick with it and hopefully put some good hours in over the weekend to get more into the groove.

Anyone up for online races, too? :)

Using it on PC.  I used the PC control panel to Max gain at 100% then in game I play, Raw, 100,60,50,50.  

Wasn't any good on F1 cars but great on everything else so far.  Especially the ginetta series.

Can't get to grips with Snetterton at all. That left hander into the right, after the long back straight kills me every time. And having to do a full qualifying session just to get past that bug is annoying me now.

And why do they start you on freezing cold tyres during practise and qualifying, but have much better heat at the start of the race? And I suddenly seem to have gone from doing a set number of laps during a race, to 10 minute timed sessions? Have I accidentally changed a setting somewhere?

5 hours ago, SteveH said:

Can't get to grips with Snetterton at all. That left hander into the right, after the long back straight kills me every time. And having to do a full qualifying session just to get past that bug is annoying me now.

And why do they start you on freezing cold tyres during practise and qualifying, but have much better heat at the start of the race? And I suddenly seem to have gone from doing a set number of laps during a race, to 10 minute timed sessions? Have I accidentally changed a setting somewhere?

Yeah, the left into right at Snetterton is tricky because you have to brake while turning through the left hander, so it's easy to lock up and make a mistake.  The trick is to steer smoothly and on a nice line and trail brake (light touch on the pedal) into the left, then brake a bit harder once you can straighten the wheel to get ready for the right hander.  Might be good to practice it in something like a formula rookie, as this technique really helps into the final corner as well and at tracks like COTA.

Cold tyres in practice/quali then warm tyres in the race is totally normal.  Many series don't have tyre warmers so the game is simulating this (you'll notice that certain cars, like the Formula Renault, do start these sessions with warm tyres).  In the race, you'd have done a warm up lap to get the tyres/brakes up to temp, hence why you start on warm tyres.

Regarding the time thing, some race series are lap based and some are time based.  GT series tend to be time based for example.  This is realistic and the game will tell you about this in the series info before you choose it.

22 hours ago, McSpeed said:

Tinkered a little bit last night. Settled on 'Informative' with gain set to 50 and menu strength to 0.2. Still need more time with it though for fine tuning.

Disappointed that the defaults are just maxed out with incredibly high FFB values that just will destroy your wheel with any extended use.

23 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

I also use a T300 (GTE version though) on PC.  Don't have the same issue, FFB seemed a little weak to me with raw so I pushed the gain up to 80.  That's the only change I've made to the FFB settings.

Up to 80? The default was 100 on the PS4. What's the default on PC?

Sorry, I meant volume; that's what I pushed up to 80!  The gain is set to 100 as standard on PC and I'd imagine it's the same on PS4.

I always get these two the wrong way round as they are reversed on a guitar amp.  There gain is the input to the amp and volume is the output, it's used the other way round in the PCars2 FFB settings.