Project CARS 2 - The ‘ultimate driver journey’

McSpeed

Loads more tracks than the others with hugely varying weather conditions to make it even harder. A megabone update for the new xbox and AI that offers a decent race experience over FM7 and GTS. Lots of bug fixing patches over the next few months.

The master race sense of superiority due to it's level of customisation and difficulty.

Great engine noises.

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

Managed to tweak the controls with the help of that video above, and while one corner at Knockhill remains my nemesis, I did manage to finish 6th. I do like how challenging it is, but I'm also looking forward to Forza's surefootedness!

What corner? 

I just finished Knockhill and had an amazing race.

The career Ginetta J's put me there in a wet dusk setting - real sense of place.

Has anyone on the PC had an issue with stuttering replays approx. 2 minutes into one? I seem to be getting it consistently?

First impressions.... oh dear.

The handling feels very woolly, far less detailed than before. The sense of speed is pretty awful and the menu UX is still shite. Try re-arranging your HUD without pulling your hair out.

I was looking forward to playing it all day and I've turned it off after 30 mins of play. 

In short: hmm.

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

The first right hander that drops down and leads into a left. Just kept losing the back end of the car and spinning. I felt like I had to take it much slower than was necessary to make it. 

Turn hard, then its all countersteer and gas modulation. Theres probably a better way but thats what i do.

Its a great corner.

Theres a few corners in this that feel much more fun then before because (mexos!) you've got way more control.

54 minutes ago, mexos said:

First impressions.... oh dear.

The handling feels very woolly, far less detailed than before. The sense of speed is pretty awful and the menu UX is still shite. Try re-arranging your HUD without pulling your hair out.

I was looking forward to playing it all day and I've turned it off after 30 mins of play. 

In short: hmm.

Try adjusting the pad settings if your using one. Theres a few videos about - with a wheel its sublime.

I'm just using a Forza CSR. Have you configured it in game?

Set it to 900 or whatever then done the turn 45 degree thing?

Not sure what you're expecting. Even the simheads are saying the physics are much better and i agree.

And FFB is considered up there with the best so you shouldn't be experiencing that.

Oh...you could try turning off all the aids. Authentic is switched on by default so turn that too off for road cars and turn on for any racing cars.

Failing all that - compare it to similar cars either from Rfactor 2, Automobilsta or Assetto as they're the pinnacle. 

*edit*

I've not tried the open wheelers yet....i've just remembered you play F1 don't you?

You might have a point....i was trying to work my way up from the slower cars.

I’m using a joypad. So far it’s horrendous. So, so light. Literally can’t manage a lap on go karts. 

On some cars it’s much better but they all have a lightness. As soon as you correct any oversteer they all seem to veer drastically the other way and then it’s fish tail city. 

Started my career in a Formula Rookie and it's... well right now it's given me a crap experience.

First corner cars pile up to the point where they stop within a second. Just like the first game. Really? How on earth have they not sorted this yet? It was one of the most glaring issues in the first game.

Slow down is a huge issue on my PS4. I'm at Sportland SUGO and every lap I approach the same corner and the whole game slows down for a second or two then speeds up - like a dodgy streaming service does. In the meantime, I've lost the car as at double speed I have no time to react. I've restarted the race 4 times now and still get the same issue. This makes it pretty much unplayable right now. I can't finish the first race of career...

The UI continues to be dreadful. I swear it's the same person who's done this as I see the same shitty inconsistent design this time around. 

With the wheel set to RAW the handling is far better with my set up. So that is one thing. This game has issues though. I'm tempted to put it back in its box for 6 months while they fix it. 

2 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

I'm just using a Forza CSR. Have you configured it in game?

Set it to 900 or whatever then done the turn 45 degree thing?

Not sure what you're expecting. Even the simheads are saying the physics are much better and i agree.

And FFB is considered up there with the best so you shouldn't be experiencing that.

I'm sure under the hood here is a good driving model, and because of that I'll keep the game and persevere. 

I was hoping that it would be more of a finished product this time out of the box given all the learnings from last time. I am disappointed that so far for me that it's not.

Its a different engine to shift mate. Its supposed to be better then any sim - using a completely new tyre model (for this series) - and a reprogramming or emulation of what they use in proper F1 sims.

I don't have an issue with the handling though. It just lacks a bit of weight.

Ian Bell has always wanted it as realistic as possible - NFS Shift wasn't his dream, it was EA asking them for a street racer.

And the problem with the AI is most glaring at the worst moment. After the first corner its not quite as bad.

AFAIK its still programmed as AI that follows a "base line" around the track - and then this sensing thing is added so they all swerve around a bit. 

It must be said other proper sims do this better with cars taking a faster more linear line.

Has anybody ramped up the A.I or aggression settings? I'm on default at the moment and to be honest I'm finding it just fine. From the A.I description, where the A.I start to adjust their setups at 80% plus, I think I'd be left in their wake. No first corner pile ups yet (only done Knockhill, Donnington and Snetterton so far)

I spent two straight hours in VR driving last night.  Utterly superb.

Caterham races at Brands are my favourite so far.  FFB on my logitech G29 is great.  The handling is just right - I can push the back out and have some nice drifts round and out of slow corners - I'm just grinning from ear to ear!

3 hours ago, Valver said:

I spent two straight hours in VR driving last night.  Utterly superb.

Caterham races at Brands are my favourite so far.  FFB on my logitech G29 is great.  The handling is just right - I can push the back out and have some nice drifts round and out of slow corners - I'm just grinning from ear to ear!

Yeah, it's like some people are playing a different game to me.  It's so nice to just drive in this!

12 hours ago, mexos said:

The UI continues to be dreadful. I swear it's the same person who's done this as I see the same shitty inconsistent design this time around.

The UI is so much better than the first game, I can't understand your criticism here at all.

45 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Yeah, it's like some people are playing a different game to me.  It's so nice to just drive in this!

Its ironic as the Caterham is one of the harder cars from my play through (I have found the Chevvy CL1 takes some work) - but i keep forgetting i'm trying out all the cars on race pratice so the tyres are cold.

7 hours ago, SteveH said:

Has anybody ramped up the A.I or aggression settings? I'm on default at the moment and to be honest I'm finding it just fine. From the A.I description, where the A.I start to adjust their setups at 80% plus, I think I'd be left in their wake. No first corner pile ups yet (only done Knockhill, Donnington and Snetterton so far)

Oh they do do happen at times - but its more when your running 24+ cars. I don't know how ISI did their first corner AI - i've been able to run 64 cars on Rfactor without incident so games like Automobilista and all the early Race series (which still using Rfactor) are okay as its the same model.

I always use that as my baseline (check out the hill chicane here.....stunning stuff)

He's a kinda example of not so great cornering - although theres a strong argument to be made its fairly realistic.

Authentic aids on for this car (low TCS and low ABS)....my stuttering appears to have gone here so ives done the whole 3 lap race (at Brno)

You can access stuff much quicker - so you can turn aids off from the menu (if you can't be arsed to assign keys).

Its hard for most car sims/games though. What i'm amazed at is the car choice screen is so low res.

You don't look at a car and think....ooh i like that. As they all look pretty shit to be honest - unless you look at them in the showroom.

Its...functional but its much quicker so thats all good.

But i'm starting to turn....(lol...DYS, etc).

I'm pretty shocked by its inconsistencies though.

And i'll admit at times it kills races - like try Barcalona with 24 cars and you get a huge pile up in the first corner and then you try and go around the outside, but are forced off line and so have to sit back to give up your place as a penalty. 

Another thing is you'll often get rammed from behind - i was driving one of the Aston's (again at Barcelona) and the was placed 9th after quali - and the car behind just smashed into me.

Not once, but every reset.

I mean i've always been behind the small guys, but if you're going to splurt out about how great your game is, and how you fixed all the crap within the first day or whatever it was - you're risking huge exposure if you fuck that up. 

Its just aggravatingly inconsistent. At nearly every level. You spend a lot of time Qualifying and to have it fucked up by poor AI just ruins the immersion. And the problem with this is in these cases, every reset did the same thing. Rear ended, but just going fast enough to live out the damage only to drive into a wall of cars.

I mean...fuck sake Ian/Andy/SMS i want to love you....but...

...you're like a good looking women who sometimes smells.

I tried about 10, maybe 15 times to finish my first race at Sugo in the FF. The slow down and cars piling up just did my head in so much I quit and restarted my career in the Ginetta's. 

BINGO.

Oulton Park is beautifully recreated, no first lap melee and no slowdown. And the Ginetta handles like a dream. PCARS 1 was a far better tin top sim that an open wheeler imo and my experience here is night and day to to the FF around Sugo.

The problem is they're trying to make cash fast and they could ruin themselves. EA can absorb losses with its trash racing shite, which appeals to the kiddie and US markets....and sometimes me :(.

Turn 10 are just solid, Poly barely has AI as its all spaced out - which highlights the difficulty i guess and isn't much fun and all the other sims seem to have stricter AI programming.

But SMS can't do this - this is their sole game and they're acting like they're EA/T10 when in fact the game needed more time.

They've tried to beat Turn 10 with an arguably unfinished game but whats scary is i'm not entirely sure how good their AI programming core actually is and what your're often left with is AI that looks worse then most racers, on the first corner. And however exciting it becomes later has little relevance as your views are already soured.

Note that Kunos (and Reiza and ISI) are smaller teams and haven't released a single game. 

It could be that they're on the limit financially i guess so they needed to release something with the intention of upgrading these issues along the road but more resources should have gone into that AI.

rfactor is 12 years old and everything game born off that has had AI thats largely solid.

22 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Project Cars 2 has unquestionably the best interface a proper sim has ever had.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it. The game is extremely complicated and it does a great job of allowing you to select from the crazy amount of options it gives you. I've been using it for months though so I'm far more used to it than most players. 

10 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it. The game is extremely complicated and it does a great job of allowing you to select from the crazy amount of options it gives you. I've been using it for months though so I'm far more used to it than most players. 

It really isn't. It's full of interaction inconsistencies and almost certainly fails accessibility for anyone with a visual impairment. It's infuriating to use as a new user. 

If I turned in a piece of work that bad I'd be fucking fired. Anyway, that's the last I'll mention of it. Promise.

@Dimahoo  I wonder if the AI is inconsistent from track to track and track to vehicle type. I've just had 3 races where the AI has been brilliant. No barging, no pile ups and a decent challenge to race against.

The AI works by them tracing a "best line" along the track and then some sensing programming so the former is probably fine. Its the latter bit that seems to be all over the shop.

On top of that, you have to factor in this new Live track, plus the complicated car/tyre physics (wind plays a part now as well - i'm sure i felt the car sway during windy rain)

But my testing has been in the dry. It seems to suffer the same thing motorway traffic does when someone slows down, and you get a queue about 7 miles later!

Which is pretty cool if thats true.

But, you don't really want that in a racing game.