Project CARS 2 - The ‘ultimate driver journey’

McSpeed

2 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Didn't know that, should probably give it another go. I did find the driving very satisfying. 

I only played it on a Vive mind, but I doubt that makes a difference.

There was one excellent bug, the game renders the menu in the "world" if you're in car, so it renders it just in front of your helmet.  This is fine normally but there's a bug that sometimes puts your view about 30m behind the car in VR, which is super fun to fix when the menu is 30m away behind a car.

I've pre-ordered this on PC.  Really looking forward to it.  I've got a sim chair with a G29 and shifter bolted onto it, and a Rift to play it on...

I enjoyed PCars 1, but played way more of Assetto Corsa.  

Watching youtube vids of the press release demos being played has me very hopeful that it's going to be a lot of fun.  The IGN review seems to back that up.  Mildly disappointing the Eurogamer review didn't really touch on wheel feel and never mentioned VR at all.  *for me* theyre both essential for PC sim racing these days.

No VR support has meant I'm not buying either F1 2017 or Forza 7...  so fingers crossed this is good enough to mean I don't regret that choice :-)

Unlocks tonight, can't wait!  Two weeks without this game has been too long :D

12 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

Is the damage model any good?

It's fine.  Everything works and they've added stuff like radiator damage then breaking your engine as it'll start to run too hot.  Did you have any specific questions about it?

On 19/09/2017 at 14:51, The Bag said:

SMS CEO is drunk & on a live stream

I'm guessing a lot of people missed the 'meat' from that stream, Ian Bell the head of SM Studios had a lot to say about EA and how they almost forced the closure of the studio through very shady practice.

36 minutes ago, Revival said:

I'm guessing a lot of people missed the 'meat' from that stream, Ian Bell the head of SM Studios had a lot to say about EA and how they almost forced the closure of the studio through very shady practice.

He wasn’t on to that stuff yet when I posted the link, he was playing guitar and singing Hotel California at that point :lol:

The EA Stuff was interesting, and unfortunately unsurprising (I’ve my own dim view of EA from working with them).  I almost cheered when he explained how he screwed them before they screwed him.

Just done a 4 lap race around Oschersleben in road based Toyota GT86's. Colour me impressed. Everything seems just a bit more solid.

FFB is better and more precise (using raw). Graphics seem more solid and the handling is much more planted (you can grab the cars better too).

How you'd reasonably expect a reasonable priced road car to handle.

If it lacks anything its a slight solidity against AC and Automobilista but its.....well... not even a gripe. A more subtle feel...thats all. But the cars feel heavier then they did in pCARS.

I thought the AI put up a good race as well to be honest. No real first corner issues and that was with 27 cars.

Its a world apart from the clinical GT's and Forza's and one step back from the sims BUT i'd argue it replicates the racing side of racing much better then the sims do.

Real quite scrappy stuff which was always a great thing.

Its a very solid game and the best single player racing game out there - even if the AI does mess up the odd 1st corner as per reviews. 

And it retains that visual "grit" evident since their NFS series whilst making it look a bit more realistic and giving the game its own, non clinical character.

Its interesting - you wouldn't think you could create yet another game that successfully divides Forza/GT and the sims in an equal fashion.

But in that respect its like a hot knife....

Well, so far this is handing my arse to me! Started in the formula ford style cars doing U.K circuits. First race is Knockhill and I'm either spinning out on a tricky corner, or I'm 8 seconds off the pace :( Going to need some practice. But thank god they figured out how to implement a gamepad this time around.

4 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

Its a world apart from the clinical GT's and Forza's and one step back from the sims BUT i'd argue it replicates the racing side of racing much better then the sims do.

This was always why I liked PCars, no game has ever felt as much like being in an actual race as it.  Forza and GT have never got close in that respect.

I did same. 

First impressions are very positive.

AI are ropey - but the spectacular crashes I think are worth it. I chuckle with glee if it happens in front of me, as I pick my way through the carnage...

The driving though, is fantastic with a wheel. I use a T500rs and the feedback and fidelity from road surfaces - Knockhill which I know well in real life, is seemingly perfect. 

We tried a race at Bannochbrae and it's like an upgrade to HD !  

Love it so far.

Oh, and I can't drive for shit either :wub:

Playing on Xbox, I really could not deal with the handling in the first game it was simply mega twitchy. I have just ordered this after watching a variety of reviews, how is the handling this time round, again I will be playing on Xbox and using a pad. I know I will be getting Forza 7 next week too, so maybe I can skip this game for now. 

22 minutes ago, xCJW said:

Playing on Xbox, I really could not deal with the handling in the first game it was simply mega twitchy. I have just ordered this after watching a variety of reviews, how is the handling this time round, again I will be playing on Xbox and using a pad. I know I will be getting Forza 7 next week too, so maybe I can skip this game for now. 

Its miles better according to everyone, including team VVV.

Why Dang?

Its not hard in a bad way mate. Its all about learning the cars...but you've got authentic aids working properly now which actually makes things easier if anything.

Modern racing cars are just fast - they shouldn't be hard to drive unless they're vintage. 

So in a racing series - if aids are meant to be on, they can be. (but you can switch them off).

BTT...

I should say, the menu's are miles better. You can access most stuff in race now so control adjustments are better.