rllmuk
McSpeed

Project CARS 2 - The ‘ultimate driver journey’

SharkyOB

i think you can adjust a slider for ai aggression as well as one for their general ability.

I haven't player it yet (have it preordered for ps4), does that slider not improve the ai for the wheel to wheel battles then?

No, there's a slight problem with the way the AI interprets a hazard on the track at the moment which most likely causes the behaviour I'm seeing when wheel-to-wheel.  The devs are aware of it and apparently it's already been fixed.  Just waiting for a new build that includes it.

Honestly, this is such a small thing in the grand scheme!  The amount of stuff that's already there and working perfectly is insane.

Took part in a 90 minute race in the new (to the game) GT1 cars at Road America the other night, as part of the testing process for the game,  The race didn't end well for me, as I had a coming together with another car which damaged both of us.  I then got disqualified for speeding in the pit lane; I was trying to sort out my repair settings and forgot to engage my pit lane speed limiter (pit stops can be completely manually controlled now).

However, other than that the experience in VR was stunning.  I was driving the Porsche 911 GT1 in a race which was set to be dry at the start, rain in the middle and then go to dry again at the end.  The rolling start was fairly chaotic, although nowhere near as bad as a typical online race; from a starting position of 8th I was 6th after the first couple of corners due to a couple of incidents (apparently there was quite a big crash behind me but I missed that).  After a few laps, I had a nice gap behind me and a small gap to a couple of Toyota GT-Ones in front.  One of these managed to pull away, but I had a really good battle with the other one, literally nose to tail for around 5 laps.  I was much quicker round the twistier parts of the circuit as I must've been running more downforce, but he was murdering me on the straights.  Eventually, the rain started to fall and I lost a bit of confidence before heading into the pits for rain tyres with a gap of around 3 seconds to the GT-One.  I think I went in a bit too early though, as when he pitted a couple of laps later he was still in front of me by the same margin and I couldn't quite keep up due to slightly damaged rain tyres.

After this, I was running at a fairly quick pace.  I managed to get as high as third before my fuel ran low and I had to stop for a second time.  Unfortunately it was still raining at this point so it was too early for dry tyres.  I knew this was going to compromise my race as I'd have to stop again once the rain stopped.  When I came out I was in 7th, but I was much quicker than the cars in front, due to fresher wets.  I caught and passed one car, but then as I came up to pass someone else it went a bit wrong.  Even though I was at least 2 seconds a lap quicker he obviously didn't want to let me through and was aggressively blocking me into the braking zones.  He then span by himself in turn 2 and slid across the track in a way I couldn't avoid, causing me to spin as well.  When I caught him again a couple of laps later he was doing the same blocking, and as I went to pass on the outside into a high speed corner (probably not sensible but felt I had to try something due to his tactics) we came together which was race over for me.

All in all though, an amazing and intense experience.  This game in VR is something very special indeed, if you have a rift or a vive and are in any way interested in driving/cars you should definitely give it a go next month.  It's the best driving game I've ever played, the cars feel so natural to drive.

• Upvote 5

He's actually pretty positive about the pad controls, see about 9:55 in that second video.  Looking for stuff to confirm your biases there Boozy?

Sharky, I recently made the switch to PC - i've an i7 (although its older) and 16gb ddr3. I have a 1050ti in it just now, and Project Cars 1's VR mode is a little lacking, although everything else on Rift is superb.

PC1 runs at a solid 60fps even with almost everything on Ultra when on a single screen.

I've ordered a GTX 1070 from amazon - will I be ok with PC2 ?   I play about 50% VR and 50% single screen....

That's the same card I have so you should be fine mate.  You'll have to turn down some of the graphics settings for vr, but that's just the way things are currently.  The game has separate options depending on whether you start it in vr or normal modes, so you won't have to keep fiddling with things once you've found a setup.  I can give you my settings as well once we both have the game.

The big difference for vr is that you can set super sampling within the new game, as opposed to having to use the debug tool as with pcars1.  This makes everything a bit simpler and it's much easier to have a consistent, nice image on the rift.

Review is pretty much as I expected, the problem is I now expect the same bug/fix/bug/never fix cycle. One to pick-up in a Steam sale in a year or two.

• Upvote 1

Looks fucking perfect to me.  Although the reviewer claiming it has less feedback than iRacing, I'm not sure that's even possible it was always my big problem with iRacing and something I felt PCars fixed.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dudley said:

Looks fucking perfect to me.  Although the reviewer claiming it has less feedback than iRacing, I'm not sure that's even possible it was always my big problem with iRacing and something I felt PCars fixed.

If you liked the first game you'll be more than fine with the second. Feel in sims is so subjective, but for me pcars2 is the best driving and racing experience I've ever had on a console or pc.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

If you liked the first game you'll be more than fine with the second. Feel in sims is so subjective, but for me pcars2 is the best driving and racing experience I've ever had on a console or pc.

What are you comparing it with? In the first game, some cars felt great, some awful, how's the spread in this game, any particular classes better than others? What wheel/pedals are you using?

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

What are you comparing it with? In the first game, some cars felt great, some awful, how's the spread in this game, any particular classes better than others? What wheel/pedals are you using?

1. Many other sim games including PCars1, iRacing, GTR2, rFactor and GT Legends. Also console games like forza. It's the most natural feeling I've had from a racing game. VR is definitely part of that though. 

2. Classes are great and I haven't really raced anything bad tbh. LM cars, GT3, GTE, GT1, rally cross etc are all fun to drive. GT1 is a definite favourite for me so far though. Throw in the weather and it's pretty amazing stuff. Wait until you feel the car aquaplane through a deep puddle for the first time! 

3. Thrustmaster T300 GTE wheel with modded Logitech G25 pedals. 

• Empathy 1

Sounds cool and good to hear in general that handling is better/more consistent. I'd be interested to hear opinions from someone who has played a lot of PC Assetto Corsa as that's my main point of reference.

I did play a bit of AC a while back, but it never really grabbed me in the way pcars1 did. The driving is really good but the UI, comparative lack of content and performance issues on my pc put me off a bit. 

Pcars 1 out the box (with my wheel) was a bit of a disaster. I remember spending hours typing in FFB values for each car. At that point it came alive. Easily the best handling of any game I've played. You could feel what the car was doing and how the tyre were reacting to the surface.

Looking forward to number 2. Especially if it's more pick up and play out of the box.

I find it weird that reviewers wouldn't at least try it out on a wheel as well as a pad. It's a bit like reviewing an album listening to it only in mono through Apple EarPods.

I'll probably pick this up at some point, although right now I am really addicted to playing this year's Madden game so it probably won't be any time soon. Reviews seem fair enough to me, am definitely keen to give it a go (particularly the IndyCar).

2 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

I did play a bit of AC a while back, but it never really grabbed me in the way pcars1 did. The driving is really good but the UI, comparative lack of content and performance issues on my pc put me off a bit. 

I think that's it, no sim game has a good menu but AC's is a crime against nature and it doesn't have any especially compelling modes.

Better performing than PCars in VR mind.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Didn't know that, should probably give it another go. I did find the driving very satisfying. 

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

I think that's it, no sim game has a good menu but AC's is a crime against nature and it doesn't have any especially compelling modes.

You don't need a fancy menu in AC, just go to online and race :)