rllmuk
Mr. Gerbik

The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

3 hours ago, Flub said:

I spent yesterday afternoon downloading stuff from archive.org and painstakingly preparing my retropie setup. Then I find this thread and this image :)

Retropie is really, really nice. I'm currently running it on a Pi 2 but I have a Pi 3 coming from Amazon today for the extra speed. I mean at that price why the hell not.

I bought a 128gb SD card with the intention of trying out Rey's image out of curiosity, but I downloaded Nacho's image first and I think I'm just going to stick with it now as it is an excellent no fuss starting point.

It has saved me faffing about getting all the correct ROM sets for one, which all seem to be correctly scraped and presented with individual screenshots in a nice and simple Emulation Station theme.  I now have complete working sets that I can trim down myself and there are some cool machines I wouldn't have bothered with such as the Galaxy II mini arcade machine I had as a kid in the Game and Watch section.  I didn't realise they actually showed the whole machine and that you can see the physical controls moving on the screen mirroring the inputs from your pad.  It may well prove to be a novelty, but it was very interesting to see how emulators can handle presenting different hardware.

I'll be adding some more Mega CD and PS1 titles, and from what I've seen N64 emulation just isn't there yet, so I'll delete all of them and probably some of the older 8-bit computer systems such as the Speccy and CPC64 once I've had a quick play.  Even after I've done some extensive adding and deleting, I think it'll still work out easier than downloading and checking all the ROM sets myself.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

In a bittorrent client

Sorry, should have been clearer.  Normally, there's just a magnet link to click.

On the Youtube video the link looks like this:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:794a700b938a9f46440c4fdc90c5b1d2aeb7f311&dn=MLPshrunk.img

Whilst, I'm here any one used the MLP 128Gb Attract mode image.  Seems to have more Dreamcast and PS games than other versions. But no MS DOS stuff.

Is it easy to add/change stuff if you use an image like MLP or Rey?

4 minutes ago, theredstar said:

Sorry, should have been clearer.  Normally, there's just a magnet link to click.

On the Youtube video the link looks like this:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:794a700b938a9f46440c4fdc90c5b1d2aeb7f311&dn=MLPshrunk.img

Whilst, I'm here any one used the MLP 128Gb Attract mode image.  Seems to have more Dreamcast and PS games than other versions. But no MS DOS stuff.

Is it easy to add/change stuff if you use an image like MLP or Rey?

In your bittorrent client there'll probably be an option to add a magnet link. Just cut and paste it in. My NAS uses Transmission with a custom interface and I just did a cut and paste into the correct box.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Flub said:

My new Pi3 and Lego case arrived today so I decorated it pi-rate themed

xs7r5EN.jpg

Should send a pic to @pimoroni. My fave pi shop. Pirates, Monsters, Robots, Ninjas.

I've read lots of problems with 128GB images only working on particular cards. I have Reys image and (once I've worked out how) will scrap lots of the roms and videos of it.

I'm currently using the smaller Nachos 64GB image and really liking it. Combined with the Tronky theme I'm in heaven (or getting there).

As usual with Emulators I have control issues with some games. I'm using either a Buffalo USB or xbox360 gamepads but really need to zone down onto each system to sort out controls.

Anyone worked out a sure easy way of configuing controls for each system? I'm even unsure on which /and where files are to be changed.. noob here i guess.

Just now, Blu3Flame said:

What kind of control issues?

Have you installed the 360 pad driver?

Yes the pads work but little touches like in MAME, only the dpad controls work and not the sticks. Knowing how to change controls for each system easily would be amazing. 

18 minutes ago, nevsan said:

Yes the pads work but little touches like in MAME, only the dpad controls work and not the sticks. Knowing how to change controls for each system easily would be amazing. 

For 99% of the systems you can use the hotkey combo select+X (on your xbox controller) to go into the quick menu of retroarch. There you'll find a controls menu (note: avoid the controls menu you find under settings in the main menu, those are the controls for the retroarch gui).

In the controls menu under the quick menu you can change the controls for each player however you want. Then you can select either save as core remap file (to set those as default controls for all games on that platform) or save as game remap file (to set those controls for just that one game)

In mame iirc (I'm on my phone right now) you have to press the left trigger and then have a look around in the mame menu itself.

Thanks Mr. Gerbik - will try that when i get home tonight :) 

Anyone got a BBC Micro emulator to work in Retropie? It's one of the last retro systems I would like to add to my list.. 

41 minutes ago, Bluejam said:

Looking forward to setting this up later. Hopefully better than the knackered Dual shock 3 I'm using!

IMG_0542.JPG

God that looks lovely :) can I ask what the damage was on that beauty?

• Upvote 2

I don't have a lot of time to play games  (or write guides) at the moment,  but I'm having lots of fun in those few spare minutes I have here and there messing around with my RetroPie install. Now that I have 128GB of space,  I'm adding loads of roms and platforms,  but as ever no complete sets. They're all carefully selected games, based on my own gaming experience, knowledge and recommendation lists. I'm checking whether every single one works and eventually I want to have them all meta-scraped. I'm manually adding the games that are unscrapable (like F-Zero) and even fixing the sometimes horrible meta descriptions or box art where I can. Currently busy with C64 and PS1 :)

I'm thinking  - if there are people interested in a no-nonsense, 100% working, carefully selected 128GB or so RetroPie image with a nice and simple clean look (and 100% meta-scraped) - I might upload it somewhere once it's finished. Note that it's going to take a while,  we're talking thousands of games here :) And no guarantee I will ever actually finish it, although I fully intend to.

Current platforms: Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari Lynx, Commodore 64, Famicom Disc System, Final Burn Alpha (Capcom and Neo Geo/SNK fighting games), Game Gear, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, MAME (all other arcade games), Mastersystem, Mega Drive, MSX, N64, NES, Neo Geo Pocket, Neo Geo Pocket  Color, PC Engine, PSP, PS1, Sega 32X, SegaCD, SNES, Vectrex, and Virtual Boy.

Still considering Spectrum, Game & Watch and other platforms.

I'm also thinking of posting my lists for each platform at some point and ask whether you all think it looks good, or whether there are any glaring omissions :)

• Upvote 6

Many on these 'images' out there like Nachos or Reys have various systems already installed and working.

For instance I wanted (for some bizarre reason) all the Game & Watch games all working with the overlays - Nachos image has this [TICK] :) AND it has tons of MS DOS games working too [TICK]

I'd love to know how to move all the required files over into my 'main image' which is currently Nachos as it seems to have more of the systems already working that I want to play. If anyone could work that out they would be a hero :) and help a heap of us out I'm sure.

10 minutes ago, Pob said:

And what does that mean? :)

You know the boxart, release date, short description,  developer and stuff? That's meta data. You 'scrape' for that data by connecting to an online database and downloading all dat info. In this case, RetroPie scrapes GamesDB but sometimes their servers or whatever are down or really slow. And sometimes it can't find a game or it finds the wrong one.

24 minutes ago, nevsan said:

Many on these 'images' out there like Nachos or Reys have various systems already installed and working.

For instance I wanted (for some bizarre reason) all the Game & Watch games all working with the overlays - Nachos image has this [TICK] :) AND it has tons of MS DOS games working too [TICK]

I'd love to know how to move all the required files over into my 'main image' which is currently Nachos as it seems to have more of the systems already working that I want to play. If anyone could work that out they would be a hero :) and help a heap of us out I'm sure.

See the guide in the first post. Short answer,  connect an ethernet cable to your retropie. In windows go to 'network' and you should see a folder called Retropie. There's a roms folder in there  - then it's just a matter of deleting what you don't want, and adding new stuff by simply copy-pasting :)

This thread is amazing, keep it up guys. I'm going to treat myself to a Pi3 at the end of the month and give all this a go. A few questions I have:

If I buy a 128gb sd card and then stick one of the 64gb images on it, will I have 64gb free to add other stuff too, or does it partition it in some way?

What's the C64 emulation like? Both in terms of reliable emulation and ease of use.

What's the Dreamcast and NDS emulation like? Or, to put it more specifically, can I play Bangai-O/Bangai-O Spirits on this? (pleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyes)