rllmuk
Mr. Gerbik

The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

22 minutes ago, watusi said:

That looks great, not much info out I did see a suggested price of $69

Pretty decent price if true. I’ve a couple of Pi Zeros around already too.

For a case with a screen that seems eminently reasonable.  Given the Pi Zero can't do quite as much as the bigger ones, a cheap 16gb SD and of course the cheap as chips zero itself and you'll still be comfortably under what a game boy would have cost you 30 years ago.

On 04/02/2019 at 09:36, Dirty Harry Potter said:

The actual built was good fun, but when you get to the 10 inch screen everything slows down - as there is no really clear information about how it fits together (and you have to guess). Its really easy to get the screen upside down, as others have said - and that would require a lot of backtracking.

And I know next to nothing about the Raspberry Pie, so have had to learn the basics of stuff like forcing getting the HDMI to output via the Config file.. and getting the sticks to work... and getting roms to work (only got a few of these recognised so far).... BUT WHEN YOU DO its a thing of beauty....:wub::wub::wub:

Picade.jpg

Quick question. Dirty Harry Potter Did you put any nuts and bolts in the top of the  10 inch screen struggling with it myself seems silly not to have anything to hold it in place.

27 minutes ago, DUKENUKEM2UK said:

Quick question. Dirty Harry Potter Did you put any nuts and bolts in the top of the  10 inch screen struggling with it myself seems silly not to have anything to hold it in place.

The only bolts in the 10 inch screen are the two at the bottom that hold the base bracket on. The one the screen sits in. 

The top bit of the screen relies on the bits that slot into the cabinet to hold it together. A bit of sellotape too and bottom helps when building it. 

2 hours ago, DUKENUKEM2UK said:

That threw me to start with... but yeah no nuts and bolts and I’d pretty secure once you actually get it to sit properly. That was the trickiest part for me - as it feels like it shouldn’t work - but have faith - because it does..

• Upvote 1

I've decided I want a little emulator box. 

My requirements I hope are simple. 

It will run mame and final burn. 

It will work with a PS4 or 8bitdo pad. 

Preferably will be able to switch it on remotely. 

Will a pi be able to do this and what should I be looking for to buy?

Any advice appreciated. Unless anyone sells them on here?

You can't switch a Pi on remotely, but it does all that other stuff. The switching on and off is probably the most annoying thing about the Pi, to be honest - I need to get an inline switch for mine or something, it's ridiculous having to physically plug in the power cable to turn it on.

That aside, it should run anything on MAME apart from 3D stuff like Cruisin' USA, etc - anything sprite-based should be fine, and it's actually quite interesting getting it all set up and installed.

I believe a pi can have you covered on all that, especially if you're prepared to accept "At the wall" as counting as switching it on remotely.  I've not personally tried Final Burn on a Pi so someone will have to chime in on that one and obviously it won't have quite the MAME range a powerful PC will.

Essential

Pi (ideally the 3/3+)

Controller

Micro SD Card - Anything over 8gb will work, you probably need 32 or 64 for what you want it to do there but the sky is the limit.

Hdmi cable

USB power adapter capable of 2.5A.

Optional

Case

The low effort way to get the lot would be something like https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-3b-plus-starter-kit

You'll want to download retropie, which is a self contained OS.  Couple of tiny bits of config and you can copy your ROMS to it via the network.

https://retropie.org.uk/

That's about it really, at least to get a working system. It's been covered in this thread a bit but I'm sure we can all help you.

Incidentally, if anyone else wonders into this thread and is starting from dead zero.

https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-kits-and-bundles/products/raspberry-pi-3b-plus-retro-gaming-bundle

That's the price of a SNES or Mega Drive Mini and contains everything short of the files you'd need to construct a system that'll play everything from the NES, SNES, Mega Drive, Master System, Game Boy, Game Boy Color and probably have room left over for a few other period consoles as well.

• Upvote 1

So adding a WiFi smart plug will solve the remote switch on and off?

If I buy that pi and case, what else would I need to make my controllers work on it?

Thanks a lot!!

12 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

So adding a WiFi smart plug will solve the remote switch on and off?

If I buy that pi and case, what else would I need to make my controllers work on it?

Thanks a lot!!

PS4 controllers should work fine with Retropie, you don't need to buy anything else.. The only thing I would say is that if you want to use the controller wirelessly, you would have to decouple it from the Playstation, so it's not really practical to share a pad between a PS4 and a Pi that way. If you want to use the same controller for both, then you'd need to plug it into the Pi via USB.

• Upvote 1

And for he 8bitdo, the pi has Bluetooth so that’s easy enough. It’s a little unfriendly to get it set up but nothing you can’t be faq’d through in about thirty seconds.

• Upvote 1

Over the bank holiday weekend I unearthed my Pi 3 from the garage and decided to give RetroPie another go. I’d tried it a few years back and thought the games looked terrible on screen.

A bit of tinkering later and scanlines enabled on MAME and Final Burn and I was blown away. It looks absolutely gorgeous. Ninja Warriors looks particularly impressive on a large wide screen TV.

Yeah I recently got into the whole scanlines thing. I usually don't bother as here in the UK it wasn't something you saw unless in the arcade. I always felt the default bilinear filter was more akin to my old telly. However I do have to say it makes things look fantastic. I'm using the zfast curve shaders and have added some simple bezels and it really fleshes it all out. The only downside with shaders I can see is it does make the image ever so slightly darker.

Got to be careful with Retropie when I'm off work. Days are eaten up with it!

I've a couple  of questions I'm hoping one of you kind people can answer:

• Neo Geo emulation - I'm finding that sound volume is all over the place and randomly goes up and down. Is this s known issue and if so, is there a fix?
  • I've got Street Fighter Alpha 2 up and running in final burn and would like to map my wired Xbox 360 Street Fighter pad to the correct buttons. Is there any way to do this? If I go through the Pi set up menu set the controller up through that the buttons are mapped incorrectly on SFA2

Msny thanks for any help you can give.

I've recently set up a pi 3b for emulation and whilst the ease of setting one up using a pre built image and sheer versatility of the overall solution is very welcome - one of the things which I am noticing is input lag (at least thats what I think it is). Aria of Sorrow on GBA and Devil Crush on PCE don't feel as snappy as I'm used to (noting that I've only ever played Devil Crush via the Wii VC - never on original hardware). And Parapper is, frankly, impossible.

Its not a fatal blow as there are retro games which don't rely on timing to be enjoyed - but I am worried that I will get a false impression of titles which I am not familiar with.

It also feels as though its worse than emulation solutions which I have experienced elsewhere. For example GBA being emulated on the PSP.

Is this a well trodden issue?  And can I do anything about it (changing TV and/or using original hardware notwithstanding).

I gave my little bro a Pie 2+ I had lying around and he's installed RetroPie on it. He brought it back to me as he was struggling to get PSX games running so I've had my first experience of RetroPie and generally quite impressed.

Sorted the PSX, the usual issue of .bin and .cue files (he had obtained .ecm's). Not convinced on the screen filtering - looks worse than my genuine Snes and MD hardware on a digital TV but in terms of vfm and options pretty happy.

Just need to find some PSX images now. I added 2000 SNES and MD roms I had lying around but PSX seem to be individual from my quick search but some helpful soul here might PM me a link to an image set.

On 17/05/2019 at 14:10, MrMorgasaurus said:

Oh yes. No problems there. All other console devices connected are nice and responsive.

The shaders slow things down in my experience, so if you have those on you could try turning them off.

Playing master system sonic 1 with a DS4 is weird (Because the 360 knockoff pads that came with my retro pi are shit) both buttons are jump?

switching to n64 and mk64 accelerate is on circle?

Does anyone know how I would turn off autofire on my Picade using Retroarch/Emulation Station/MAME? My bloody 10 year old discovered he can just hold down one of the buttons in Track & Field and it's ruined the high score table. 

• Empathy 1