rllmuk
Mr. Gerbik

The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

2 hours ago, DjSatansfur3h said:

I've got an RPi 2 sat about doing nowt, what's the performance like? I tried setting up Retroarch + EmulationStation on a quad core Intel pentium old-jobbie and even bought a low end Nvidia GFX card for it and it ran like an absolute pile of dog shite*

*(Although the OS might of had more to do with that, than anything else).

A Pi 2 is still great for emulation. Although you may need to overclock it slightly (from the built in raspi-config menu) to get decent performance for Playstation games.

On 7-2-2017 at 15:18, deKay said:

A few things I've written which are relevant:

Switching audio output on RetroPie (in case you want to use HDMI but audio through the jack)

I just spotted something in the advanced options and I'm wondering: isn't it much easier to just go into (from the RetroPie settings tab in EmulationStation) Raspi-config > 9 advanced options > 8 force audio through HDMI or 3.5 jack ? Or maybe I'm missing something :)

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

I just spotted something in the advanced options and I'm wondering: isn't it much easier to just go into (from the RetroPie settings tab in EmulationStation) Raspi-config > 9 advanced options > 8 force audio through HDMI or 3.5 jack ? Or maybe I'm missing something :)

It is!

Only when I wrote it, that wasn't an option :)

• Upvote 1

Ah, only just found this thread as I didn't know what a Retropie was. Turns out it's exactly what I wanted to replace my kaput Yod@box.

Good work on the guide, Gerbik. I'll make you the original poster so it's easier to see. I'll also edit the thread title a bit to make it clearer what Retropie actually is.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Pob said:

Ah, only just found this thread as I didn't know what a Retropie was. Turns out it's exactly what I wanted to replace my kaput Yod@box.

Good work on the guide, Gerbik. I'll make you the original poster so it's easier to see. I'll also edit the thread title a bit to make it clearer what Retropie actually is.

Thanks, that's handy and a lot clearer :)

The change did remove all the formatting, all the nice pictures and all the links however :(  I quickly went through and made the sections and lists more visible again, but sadly all the links are still gone - I won't have time to add them back until later tonight.

So for now the op has no links or images but it will be fixed asap!

I was thinking about changing the guide up a bit anyway. I'm going to order an extra sd card this week and see how it goes with adding a pre-built image. Then I will put both methods (DIY and pre-built) at the start of the guide with additional info for the pre-built bit (formatting the sd card, adding or removing roms etc etc)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Thanks, that's handy and a lot clearer :)

The change did remove all the formatting, all the nice pictures and all the links however :(  I quickly went through and made the sections and lists more visible again, but sadly all the links are still gone - I won't have time to add them back until later tonight.

So for now the op has no links or images but it will be fixed asap!

I was thinking about changing the guide up a bit anyway. I'm going to order an extra sd card this week and see how it goes with adding a pre-built image. Then I will put both methods (DIY and pre-built) at the start of the guide with additional info for the pre-built bit (formatting the sd card, adding or removing roms etc etc)

Oh FFS, really sorry about that. I should have left your original post. The method for handing control of a thread to another poster is a total pain.

I'm going to do the pre-built image thing as soon as I get delivery of my Pi and SD card, so I'll post up my experiences! This will be on a Mac, too.

• Upvote 1

On 10/02/2017 at 19:03, denisb said:

are links allowed to premade builds ? i could do with a nice 32gb build i can source roms but been having trouble getting marquee and filters working 

doing a couple of mates a pi with snes controller setup and it would be nice if i could fancy it up a bit 

Search for Drew talks retropie on you tube and look in the description :)

I think I've restored most of the content in the guide in the opening post. All the links are back I think. I'm going to rewrite it a bit anyway to include more info on those handy (but slightly shady) pre-built images - my own 128GB sd card should arrive tomorrow :)

• Upvote 4

Just place an order for the £45 starter kit on amazon.  That, a 200 gig microsdxc card (got a 128 gig card already so going to use that and bung the 200 one in the mp3 player), and the 8bit famicom bluetooth controller.  Did start to add up a bit at the end there, but thought sod it.  Free prime trial helped with next day delivery though.

Quick update on my Rey's image quest. I got my 128 SD card and installed the image. Had the worst of luck with it, from the menu controls in Attract Mode being reversed at first to RetroArch not responding to any controls. Not even to keyboard controls when launching directly into the RetroArch GUI. Finally got it all sort of working and then messed around a bit with Attract Mode before deciding I didn't like it. It's a bit garish, isn't it? But mostly I don't find it practical or efficient. I can see why it's fun to show off when a like minded friend visits, but to actually browse and play your collection  (as I do, it's not just for having it sit somewhere - that is what my physical retro collection is for) it's shit imho. Also, it contains shite collections as full-blown platforms, e.g. a Disney collection,  a Spider-Man collection etc. Okay so I admittedly like the Spider-Man one. But overall I prefer the simpler, more practical, and cleaner look of vanilla EmulationStation with a nice skin. All imho, I can totally see the attraction of Attrac Mode, but it's not for me.

So I formatted the 128GB SD, made an image of my original 16GB RetroPie install and put it on the 128GB card. This allows me to  add a lot more of the games that I have on my Windows retro installation. This process took way less time than I would have otherwise spent fixing the remaining issues of Reys image and replacing his roms.

I will update the op when I have time :)

On 29/01/2017 at 17:39, Mr. Gerbik said:

l1u5WGq.jpg

All your controllers

Controllers! If you use a wired 360 controller or connect your XB1 controller through USB, those controllers will just work. You can also use their respective wireless dongles, the same ones you would use on PC, for wireless gaming goodness. I have no experience using the PS3 and PS4 controllers on RetroPie but AFAIK those should also just work.

Holy shit, how have I not seen this controller before?!? :wub:

On 13/02/2017 at 09:46, Pob said:

Bah, I've been dumped from the top of the thread that I created!  Thank you though, I was going to contact a mod and ask if that would be possible because I simply and don't have the time to do anything near as good as @Mr. Gerbikhas and it obviously makes a lot more sense for his guide to be in the initial post.

• Upvote 1

Hey, @Mr. Gerbik, in the 'All your controllers' section of the guide, you mention the FC30 Pro that deKay recommends (I finally set mine up today, it's excellent!) but the picture is of the NES30 Pro, and the link is wrong too.  I don't know if this matters, as it seems at a quick glance that the only differences are cosmetic, but I just thought I'd mention it in case there are other changes too.

14 minutes ago, Stejay said:

Hey, @Mr. Gerbik, in the 'All your controllers' section of the guide, you mention the FC30 Pro that deKay recommends (I finally set mine up today, it's excellent!) but the picture is of the NES30 Pro, and the link is wrong too.  I don't know if this matters, as it seems at a quick glance that the only differences are cosmetic, but I just thought I'd mention it in case there are other changes too.

I thought the only difference was that one is visually based on the European/American NES and the other one on the Japanese Famicom (FC). I like the look of the NES one better, as that is the look I grew up with, but maybe our 8bitdo expert (but definitely not Super Mario Sunshine expert,  oh no)  @deKay can cofirm whether I'm right or terribly wrong. 

Either way, I will clarify it in the guide. Which, again,  I'm going to rewrite for clarity and to add a big big section  (it will be the best section) on pre-built images. Don't know when though, as my lovely four weeks-old boy is taking up all my time and sleep at the moment. But asap.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I thought the only difference was that one is visually based on the European/American NES and the other one on the Japanese Famicom (FC). I like the look of the NES one better, as that is the look I grew up with, but maybe our 8bitdo expert (but definitely not Super Mario Sunshine expert,  oh no)  @deKay can cofirm whether I'm right or terribly wrong. 

Either way, I will clarify it in the guide

There probably is no difference at all, in which case I needn't have said anything!

I'm going to rewrite for clarity and to add a big big section  (it will be the best section) on pre-built images. Don't know when though, as my lovely four weeks-old boy is taking up all my time and sleep at the moment. But asap.

Haha.  Four weeks old and I'm moaning about a lack of time!  Congrats.

• Upvote 1

Either way, I will clarify it in the guide. Which, again,  I'm going to rewrite for clarity and to add a big big section  (it will be the best section) on pre-built images. Don't know when though, as my lovely four weeks-old boy is taking up all my time and sleep at the moment. But asap.

AFAIK they look the same, and are the same internally, but the FC30 Pro is obviously better in every way.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Stejay said:

Haha.  Four weeks old and I'm moaning about a lack of time!  Congrats.

24 minutes ago, deKay said:

AFAIK they look the same, and are the same internally, but the FC30 Pro is obviously better in every way.

Thanks for the quick reply! :D I will add it to the guide and note that the NES30 is better in every way :)

(I will add a pic of both and let the readers decide)

On 09/02/2017 at 17:26, Bluejam said:

I subscribe to Drew Talks on You tube as he seems to be pretty up on the latest images

This one looks pretty good. Kodi 17 and a Daphne emulator as well

Also there are 2000 amiga games in the image but you need to do some editing to get them up and running

I spent yesterday afternoon downloading stuff from archive.org and painstakingly preparing my retropie setup. Then I find this thread and this image :)

Retropie is really, really nice. I'm currently running it on a Pi 2 but I have a Pi 3 coming from Amazon today for the extra speed. I mean at that price why the hell not.

• Upvote 1

As predicted (by me!), having a bit of trouble with this.  Using the 128 gig card (sandisk) and reys image and it won't fit.  I've a sneaking suspicion that either the updated file has become bigger than 119 gig, even though that is what it reads when I use win32 diskimager.  Either that or the fact that I was using the card in an mp3 player before has somehow altered its table of contents so that it doesn't report the correct values even after a format.  I do have a 200 gig microsdxc card but am loath to use that when the 128 gig should work.

38 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

As predicted (by me!), having a bit of trouble with this.  Using the 128 gig card (sandisk) and reys image and it won't fit.  I've a sneaking suspicion that either the updated file has become bigger than 119 gig, even though that is what it reads when I use win32 diskimager.  Either that or the fact that I was using the card in an mp3 player before has somehow altered its table of contents so that it doesn't report the correct values even after a format.  I do have a 200 gig microsdxc card but am loath to use that when the 128 gig should work.

First download this SD Card formatter and format your 128GB card. Then it all should fit just fine (quick format, size adjustment off). This is one of the things I want to add to the guide!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

First download this SD Card formatter and format your 128GB card. Then it all should fit just fine (quick format, size adjustment off). This is one of the things I want to add to the guide!

That is what I have been using.  However I still get an error with regards to size.  I've given up for now and got it writing to the 200 gig card.  Just to make sure it works.

1 minute ago, davidcotton said:

That is what I have been using.  However I still get an error with regards to size.  I've given up for now and got it writing to the 200 gig card.  Just to make sure it works.

Weird. I bought the sandisk card that I linked to in the OP, downloaded the image linked in the YouTube vid description, and it fits just fine :unsure: No idea why it wouldn't work the same for you.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Weird. I bought the sandisk card that I linked to in the OP, downloaded the image linked in the YouTube vid description, and it fits just fine :unsure: No idea why it wouldn't work the same for you.

Because it's me, and these things never go straight forward for me (not whinging just saying it like it is!).

I still think it's because I've used it in a sony mp3 player and they are known for doing strange things to sd card toc's as it is.

Right now it's writing to the 200 gig card as mentioned, once I've verified there's no problem with that I'll investigate it further.

Thanks