The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

Only since I got my snes mini did I realise how bad MarioKart runs on the pi3. Does anyone have any protips for boosting snes performance? I'm using the pipiggies image and mariokart seems to run about half speed with choppy music.

Megadrive, MAME etc are all fine - heck even ridge racer plays without issue :)

12 hours ago, Venice Cull said:

Ok, so next problem. The ZX emulator - amazingly - uses various keyboard presses for 'speed up', 'reset', meaning I can't actually play any games!

How do people get around this?

Which emulator? Did you configure it? The default settings are to suit a keyboardless setup, so you'll need to change to config to tell it that's not the case.

5 hours ago, bradigor said:

How does Retropie handle DS games? Assuming it is only worth touching the ones that don't require touch screen?

The ones that play basically run perfectly, but it has issues with games that do a certain check on boot, such as GTA or Phantom Hourglass and those refuse to run.

You can control atouch screen pointer with the analog stick, but it's too slow to be usable in my experience. Stick to games like Tetris DS or Space Invaders Extreme.

9 hours ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Only since I got my snes mini did I realise how bad MarioKart runs on the pi3. Does anyone have any protips for boosting snes performance? I'm using the pipiggies image and mariokart seems to run about half speed with choppy music.

Megadrive, MAME etc are all fine - heck even ridge racer plays without issue :)

It should run perfectly. The issue is with whatever image you're using and/or possibly using the wrong ROM for your screen's refresh rate.

At a guess it sounds like you're playing the PAL version at 60hz, or the NTSC version at 50hz.

8 hours ago, deKay said:

Which emulator? Did you configure it? The default settings are to suit a keyboardless setup, so you'll need to change to config to tell it that's not the case.

Ah, how do I change the config? (and to what?).

Bit of a novice when it comes to these things. Any help gratefully recieved!

The FC30 Pro works perfectly with a Pi 3 and the innards are the same (as far as I can make out!) as the SF30 Pro.

If it didn't work it's the only 8bitdo pad that doesn't! Most of the rest have been pretty much designed *for* Retropie.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

There's a good chance Santa might be bringing me one of these for xmas. Probably one of the kits where you get everything you need. After a bit of research, it seems like a bit of a faff getting the games on the thing. So far I've worked out how to get the "OS" installed and booted up onto the pie, that's easy. But then getting the ROMS on there? Is there somewhere where you can just download a shit ton in one file, load it up and your good to go?

On 31/10/2017 at 16:48, Floyd said:

Hello!

There's a good chance Santa might be bringing me one of these for xmas. Probably one of the kits where you get everything you need. After a bit of research, it seems like a bit of a faff getting the games on the thing. So far I've worked out how to get the "OS" installed and booted up onto the pie, that's easy. But then getting the ROMS on there? Is there somewhere where you can just download a shit ton in one file, load it up and your good to go?

Try a prebuilt image for your SD card, or if you want to curate your own use a basic install of retropie and add the Roms via usb stick.

32 minutes ago, super_quincy said:

@ulalaReally really well. I finished Resident Evil on the Pi a few weeks back

edit; in fact take a look here - skip to 42:15 to see a few ps1 games in action 

shameless plug over.

Great video, I'm a fan of your channel, didn't realise it was you!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been tempted buy this as a cheap and cheerful way to play retro games, but... it's going to look rubbish on a big screen isn't it? What was once a technical marvel on the PS on my small CRT will not translate well to a much larger screen... 

However, that said, how well does it cope with couch co-op games? Is it fine with multiple controllers? Could I play older versions of Mario Kart without much issue? 

I am also slightly concerned that I'll go through the effort of setting it all up and then just add it to the things gathering dust under my TV (such as SteamLink)

Sorry if this has been covered in the numerous pages previously...