rllmuk
Mr. Gerbik

The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

Retroarch is a frontend for running libretro api based emulators (basically emulators packaged up as DLL files). Essentially it's a multi machine emulator.

It has its own GUI (A basic one, and one heavily influenced by the PlayStation UI) or can be booted directly from the command line.

Emulation Station and Attract Mode are frontends for Retroarch and other more standard emulators, which means they can cover more games as not every system is in Retroarch.

• Upvote 1

i made mine today, and somehow it works!!! First point of order was a blast on F Zero, love it. Think I need to do a bit of tinkering as I basically blagged my way through building it, this thread will be helpful.

• Upvote 1

Surprised by the number of romsets on archive.org. Can we consider them a trusted source?

I have a fc30pro pad which is great but also a buffalo pad which is a snes clone. Seems like a pretty accurate clone and worth picking up if you are that way inclined.

Buffalo Classic USB Gamepad for PC https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002B9XB0E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_dPVMybME9WK93

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, watusi said:

Surprised by the number of romsets on archive.org. Can we consider them a trusted source?

Yes they are the most trusted of sources! Guaranteed without any bullshit (hence 'no intros' or trainers or hacks inserted by whomever dumped it). In their own words: ""No-Intro" lists only the best available ROM; it must be a full dump with no faults and no changes to the file, basically just the ROMS that are the closest as possible to the original licensed cartridges."

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Blu3Flame said:

The complete No Intro sets are on Archive.org, then just follow a guide to make them 1G1R with Clrmame.

I'm not familiar with this, but I am in the process of adding this info to the info dump post on the previous page. Is this the program you're talking about https://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/

And is this a good guide: https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/16407-best-way-of-organizing-no-intro-roms-and-emumovies-media-to-1g1r/#comment-143820

17 hours ago, Blu3Flame said:

Retroarch is a frontend for running libretro api based emulators (basically emulators packaged up as DLL files). Essentially it's a multi machine emulator.

It has its own GUI (A basic one, and one heavily influenced by the PlayStation UI) or can be booted directly from the command line.

Emulation Station and Attract Mode are frontends for Retroarch and other more standard emulators, which means they can cover more games as not every system is in Retroarch.

I've added this bit to the post :)

4 hours ago, watusi said:

And this also :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks, added it to the post! Also added the guide you posted for adding overlays to MAME in RetroPie. There's now a ton of stuff in that post that I never knew, can't wait until I have some free time to make my RetroPie even fancier!

On 2/7/2017 at 16:23, Blu3Flame said:

Guide for adding excellent bezels and shaders to Mame.

For the life of me I cannot get this to work :( and cannot grasp exactly which/where the config files are that need to be change for each game. Anyone care to explain it to an old wally like me? :D

Yep, its ok, runs pretty well. Very playable. Think PowerStone is one of only a few that play ok. I got a 64gig image and it was on there with Soul Calibur

Using a dualshock 3 and the square button is a bit dodge so cant really give a a fair crack and i cant get the 'nubs' to work (fnar).

Using the D pad is bloody awful :(

Have to get one of these methinks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-FC30-Wireless-Controller-Android/dp/B013B48POY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1486655395&sr=8-4&keywords=8bitdo

I subscribe to Drew Talks on You tube as he seems to be pretty up on the latest images

This one looks pretty good. Kodi 17 and a Daphne emulator as well

Also there are 2000 amiga games in the image but you need to do some editing to get them up and running

Is there a good guide to make switching from raspbian (pixel) to RetroPie and back again with it being a major faff? I primarily use the machine as a computer, and switching sd cards on the Pi3 is annoying with no click to eject.

May also be useful for the (brilliant) info post, up thread.

24 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Is there a good guide to make switching from raspbian (pixel) to RetroPie and back again with it being a major faff? I primarily use the machine as a computer, and switching sd cards on the Pi3 is annoying with no click to eject.

May also be useful for the (brilliant) info post, up thread.

I followed this, so as to have a menu to choose between Raspian, Retropie, and Kodi:

https://retroresolution.com/2016/04/19/multipurpose-raspberry-pi-part-2-adding-a-menu-to-access-retropie-kodi-and-the-raspbian-desktop/

A friend of mine has spent weeks setting his up, wasn't aware there was images already out there!

I have a pie2, would this nachos work on that?

edit: infact i see other images anyway that might work out better. Think i only have a 32gb in mine though.

are links allowed to premade builds ? i could do with a nice 32gb build i can source roms but been having trouble getting marquee and filters working 

doing a couple of mates a pi with snes controller setup and it would be nice if i could fancy it up a bit 

Premade builds contain roms, so no. They are not allowed.

I have no experience with premade builds, but you're always free to pm whichever forumite mentioned them earlier in the thread. At worst they'll tell you no :)

4 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

So for premade builds you're stuck with the roms they choose?

I have no idea, I haven't messed with pre-builds yet. I can't imagine it though,  surely all it is, is an image of a completed installation? With all the folders accessible once it's on the sd card? Hopefully one of the pre-build forumites will be able to confirm.

On 2/9/2017 at 14:50, nevsan said:

For the life of me I cannot get this to work :( and cannot grasp exactly which/where the config files are that need to be change for each game. Anyone care to explain it to an old wally like me? :D

Are you using the automatic tool?

I've got an RPi 2 sat about doing nowt, what's the performance like? I tried setting up Retroarch + EmulationStation on a quad core Intel pentium old-jobbie and even bought a low end Nvidia GFX card for it and it ran like an absolute pile of dog shite*

*(Although the OS might of had more to do with that, than anything else).

39 minutes ago, DjSatansfur3h said:

I've got an RPi 2 sat about doing nowt, what's the performance like? I tried setting up Retroarch + EmulationStation on a quad core Intel pentium old-jobbie and even bought a low end Nvidia GFX card for it and it ran like an absolute pile of dog shite*

*(Although the OS might of had more to do with that, than anything else).

I have a pi 1b and performance on everything up to 24 but is absolutely perfect.