Destiny: Content Vault of Gaas

The thing is there's still a great yearly selection of content in there, or at least, every other yearly maybe. It might not be the forever game people were wanting but then was Destiny 1 ever really? I think you forget quite how many times you took down the same Strike bosses during D1 because it was all so new/nostalgia for the good stuff. 

Having jumped back in after a 2 year break there's a shit ton of campaign/exotic quests/new public events to keep me busy for a few months, then I'll drop off again until the new stuff is cheap or I'm bored enough with everything else to try again. 

There's a HUGE amount of revisionism about Destiny 1. People very easily forget the massive content droughts that took place with that game. The Taken King was amazing but aside from a small update in the spring that added a single strike and a couple of story missions there was literally nothing new to play for an entire year.

The core problem with Destiny has and always will be that they've crafted a best-in-class FPS but allied it to an MMO-like structure that demands a consistent schedule of new content drops. A voracious playerbase will eat up anything as soon as it's released and substantial, engaging story missions, strikes and raids at the quality level that Bungie have set for themselves take months and huge amounts of resources to create. It's no coincidence that Forsaken was the highpoint of the game when it had 3 entire dev studios and the financial might of Activision contributing to its creation.

Either take a break for a year and come back to be met with a substantial chunk of enjoyable stuff that was added when you were gone (I did this a month after I'd rinsed Forsaken and returned when Shadowkeep launched and had a great time) or just temper your expectations and accept that it can never hope to maintain its peak moments consistently month in, month out, especially now that Bungie are doing it on their own.

2 hours ago, Harsin said:

They had at least two support studios doing a lot of work back when they were with Activision, which is why all the wow just imagine what they'll put out free from the shackles of a publisher responses around the web were so dumb at the time.

I still think splitting from Activision is the worst thing they could have done. I'd be surprised if a PC port would have happened without Vicarious Visions, and High Moon's work on the expansions was excellent. I'm looking forward to getting back into this on PS5 but I'm still not confident Bungie will be able to fill the content droughts between expansions with anything that's not tedious and boring.

I'm one of those weirdos who loved the gear reset going into D2, and the climb to power up with new weapons and powers. I'm disappointed they're not doing that again, though most people don't want that so I get it.

Every time they release a new event for D2 it's another trip to the internet to try and find out what all the mechanics and items and so on do, since the game tells you nothing, and they're just the same as the other events - collect these, take them here, get thing. Why are these packages opened by the thing next to the Drifter and not the usual guy?

I don't really need any more weapons since I have loads already. I don't play PvP so there's no meta for me to chase.

I still log in and play every few weeks / months but every time there's a new event it's hard to get excited.

Gambit going to one round sounds good tho?

Cold, dark, and alluring – the power of Stasis beckons you. Command this new elemental power with brand new Guardian subclasses. Control the fight, seize your enemies in an icy grip, and shatter them where they stand.

The frozen frontier of Europa holds many lost secrets from the past, including a new dark elemental power: Stasis. Work with the mysterious Exo Stranger to harness this new power before Eramis, the Kell of Darkness, bestows it on her Fallen forces. Grow your arsenal, command Stasis, and go beyond the Light.

Rooted in Darkness, wield the new elemental power of Stasis to dominate the battlefield.

More details about class abilities in the next week or so.

(Also does this mean that Hard Light won't cover all elements anymore? I found that pretty useful in equipment-locked situations...)

1 hour ago, Mafro said:

New titan super just looks like Fist of Havoc, but ice?

Yeah, as someone with only one character on their account - a Titan - I was a bit disappointed :lol: 

Hopefully there's a little more to it. :P 

As a few people have speculated, looks to me like it's a primer/detonator type setup. Bit like they have in Mass Effect and Anthem. Grenades freeze and prime target, melee and weapons detonate and shatter. Think it will open up a few new styles of play but the supers aren't really blowing my balls off with excitement yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started this one xbox via the free download. My God the shooting is so satisfying. Ended up speaking so some solstace women in the tower who kindly gave me a full set of 1024  gear too for doing the EAV a few times 

21 hours ago, carlospie said:

Just started this one xbox via the free download. My God the shooting is so satisfying. Ended up speaking so some solstace women in the tower who kindly gave me a full set of 1024  gear too for doing the EAV a few times 

If you carry on with that quest, you can get the gear up to 1050. Some of it is a bit grindy but you can do it all solo.

At this point, as a new player and  with loads of stuff getting vaulted in November, I wouldn't worry too much about grinding gear, I would just go see Amanda Holliday in the tower and pick up the Red War campaign and run through that. It's a great campaign and it will be unobtainable from November. You'll level up naturally just doing it and likely get a few exotics drops along the way.

Do the Umbral engram mission and just decrypt those as they drop (and you will get fucking millions of the things) and they will give you some good stuff going in to next season.

12 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

You’ve only got until 6pm today to do it though.

Ahhh, I didn’t realise it ended today. You can probably do the intermediate step which gets you to 1036 if I recall correctly.

17 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I can't believe how good this is. I played destiny one on ps4 back in the day up to oryx on hard and then never touched this

I had a break earlier this year. Whatever the Season before this one was I didn’t touch at all but I have gone back to it and from a shooting perspective, there really is nothing like it. The issue they have had recently is that the Seasonal content hasn’t been particularly compelling. However, I’ve finally got in to Gambit having ignored it previously thinking it was PvP (there is obviously an element of PvP) and it’s brilliant. Hopefully Dying Light can give PvE a shot in the arm.

13 hours ago, carlospie said:

Any must have p v p weapons I should aim for? I'm light 1025 and just doing iron banner etc. No expansion packs as I am waiting until they get added to gamepass

Depends what your tool of choice is really but the ones to look out for that are currently meta/my personal recommendations are:

Hand Cannons:

Spare Rations - farm from The Reckoning (Tier II) or Gambit Prime

Dire Promise - world drop in Season of Arrivals, so you can get it pretty much anywhere

Kindled Orchid - obtained via Forge ignitions (see Ada in the Tower Annex) 

Auto Rifles:

Gnawing Hunger - 600rpm autos are currently king in the Crucible and with the right roll this is the best in my opinion. Can be farmed very easily from Umbral Engrams (you'll also need the Season of Arrivals pass to access these though) but is also a current world drop and it drops from Banshee the gunsmith too, so no doubt you have a few of these already

Hard Light - exotic drop

Suros Regime - exotic drop

Shotguns:

Mindbender's Ambition - if you have access to the latest seasonal content then you'll get a fully masterworked one (although the roll isn't great) as a reward from the latest exotic quest for the Traveller's Chosen sidearm. Otherwise it can be farmed from The Hollowed Lair Nightfall

Seventh Seraph CQC-12 - obtained from Umbral Engrams

Pulse Rifles:

Bygones - drops from Gambit

Grenade Launchers:

Mountaintop - very very cheesy gun indeed and a nerf is incoming but if you don't mind everyone else hating you for using it then it's obtainable via a very grindy Pinnacle weapon quest. I'm not sure if said quest is still available but if so it can be had from Lord Shaxx in The Tower

Witherhoard - current seasonal exotic weapon which you probably have already

Sniper Rifles:

Beloved - indeed it is and it drops from The Menagerie (rune combo is: 1) Jubilation rune, 2) any red rune and then 3) masterwork rune of your choice)

Revoker - another Pinnacle weapon quest from Lord Shaxx which I'm not sure is still available

Heavy Machine Guns:

Hammerhead - Forge ignitions

Swords:

Falling Guillotine - Umbral Engrams

Scout Rifles:

lol

With that said a load of these are being sunsetted when Beyond Light launches in November so although still fine in the Crucible, will no longer be usable in Iron Banner or Trials. There'll also be a whole bunch of new guns released with the new expansion, several of which will no doubt be facsimiles of the above or perhaps even better, so I wouldn't bust your ass trying to get any of these if you're not that fussed to be honest. Also Bungie are notorious for nerfing the shit out of high-performing weapons, so within a few months some of these will probably fall sharply out of favour. Anyway, hope this helps. :) 

Anyone had any experience with Cross Save on this? I basically want to transfer my file to PS4 for when I sell my Xbox One, then transfer back in November when I hopefully grab a Series X. Is it fiddly as heck or fairly simple?

Just now, BitterToad said:

Anyone had any experience with Cross Save on this? I basically want to transfer my file to PS4 for when I sell my Xbox One, then transfer back in November when I hopefully grab a Series X. Is it fiddly as heck or fairly simple?

Over the last year I've bounced between the PS4, Xbox One and PC versions and it's been seamless every time. You don't need to transfer anything once your accounts have been linked.

3 hours ago, BitterToad said:

It was a pretty painless stepped process. Once you link all your platform accounts to Bungie you'll need to choose one to be your main cross-save account (in your case, Xbox) and that will be the one that is then active on all platforms, no need for any switching.

When you get your Series X, your cross-save will be active on there straight away and you likewise on PS5 if you ever get one.

Going back into this I decided to ignore my bank (I'll sort it once they've vaulted a load of shit) and just try and enjoy the game.

The thing is I can't be arsed with the gear. Armour 2.0 is a fucking shit show. I've stuck with a void build for the last umpty bump months because of got discipline to 100 and used the Contraverse Holds for improved void grenades as it allows to to control choke points and shit in Gambit and in PvE it doesn't matter what you wear.

I've tried to change my gear instead of just feeding my Discipline gear but there's mods and you have to feed them shards and money to make enough slots and then I don't have the stats I want and and and and uuuuuuuuurgh.

And even then it probably doesn't matter. I just hate the mess it makes.

Tl;dr armour 2.0 is shit and I hate the option paralysis it instills.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Going back into this I decided to ignore my bank (I'll sort it once they've vaulted a load of shit) and just try and enjoy the game.

The thing is I can't be arsed with the gear. Armour 2.0 is a fucking shit show. I've stuck with a void build for the last umpty bump months because of got discipline to 100 and used the Contraverse Holds for improved void grenades as it allows to to control choke points and shit in Gambit and in PvE it doesn't matter what you wear.

I've tried to change my gear instead of just feeding my Discipline gear but there's mods and you have to feed them shards and money to make enough slots and then I don't have the stats I want and and and and uuuuuuuuurgh.

And even then it probably doesn't matter. I just hate the mess it makes.

Tl;dr armour 2.0 is shit and I hate the option paralysis it instills.

Yeah I'm really not a fan either, to the point where I pretty much just ignore the stats bar overall points and just concentrate on the mods instead. Given there are ways to help boost ability regen anyway I don't really know what the point is unless you're going to max out one thing as you have already. 

Yeah I'm no great fan of armour 2.0. I'm glad it gives something to do for those wanting to pour hundreds of hours a week into D2, but as someone with other stuff to play it just makes everything so complicated and unwieldy. And the less said about the sheer amount of shit the game throws at you that you'll never need once you hit 1040/50... half of the time playing the game is vaulting equipment, deleting equipment, opening engrams in order to delete them. I just want a toggle to automatically delete shaders/umbral engrams/blue items from postmaster automatically. 

Hopefully the sunsetting will take away a lot of the "shit" in the game that you'll never use. 

Armour 2.0 was nice at first but the benefits never really outweighed the tweaking and fiddling. And if you ever put some new gear on you’d have to change everything again. I’ve gone beyond “option paralysis”, through “apathy” and into “occasionally forgetting that it’s a thing.” :P 

Armour 2.0 has been great. You now now get guaranteed high stat rolls at the top end of your season pass so I've been waiting for them before upgrading any new armour pieces. The build options freshen things up each season and the warmind cell builds from last were great fun. This season I've got void devour charged with light sidearm and sword buff, charged with light infinite solar grenades and this

As for materials, one pit run will get you six sticks from scrapping the drop and that takes 30 mins to an hour. 

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

Yeah I'm no great fan of armour 2.0. I'm glad it gives something to do for those wanting to pour hundreds of hours a week into D2, but as someone with other stuff to play it just makes everything so complicated and unwieldy. And the less said about the sheer amount of shit the game throws at you that you'll never need once you hit 1040/50... half of the time playing the game is vaulting equipment, deleting equipment, opening engrams in order to delete them. I just want a toggle to automatically delete shaders/umbral engrams/blue items from postmaster automatically. 

Hopefully the sunsetting will take away a lot of the "shit" in the game that you'll never use. 

This has been the pattern with Destiny since the beginning, though it gets mildly worse and better at times. I don’t recall ever playing without having to delete and vault mountains of garbage I don’t need.