Destiny: Content Vault of Gaas

Yes you do. But you can invite people in the instance to your fire team. It's just a lottery of who you'll get. Lots of people hanging around IO looking for help though. In that sense it is good that it's a weekend thing. 

Just now, Oz said:

Yes you do. But you can invite people in the instance to your fire team. It's just a lottery of who you'll get. Lots of people hanging around IO looking for help though. In that sense it is good that it's a weekend thing. 

I'm surprised you had to help people Oz, seeing as Partially Challenging mode is EZ mode :P 

1 minute ago, Scruff said:

I'm surprised you had to help people Oz, seeing as Partially Challenging mode is EZ mode :P 

That mission is still balls hard on PC. If anything platforming with mouse and keyboard is an added challenge. You should try it scruff. You would fucking love it. @Larsen B even has a free key. I know your PC can run it. Get those frames!

Yeah @Thor, we grabbed Ghost after our heroic runs last night (we would have grabbed you too if you were still on) and ran him through it using that method. Even when it's not solar week on Heroic I reckon I'd be very reluctant to part with my Polaris.

The grind for the Polaris catalyst is annoying, because the description implies you can just do any Lucky Fifth kills, whereas you actually need to kill enemies with the burn that happens after the initial explosion. It’s ridiculously obscure and counter-intuitive, but you can pull it off in about fifteen minutes on that farming spot on the leviathan. And the end result is phenomenally effective. 

53 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Does anyone want to take complete noob under their wing? Just completed the campaign, around level 215, no idea what you lot are on about 97% of the time. Worth buying the DLC?

You'd be best off to say what platform you're on.

Basically, just do the stuff you'll find all over the director. If you don't care how quickly you level up, the order you do things in doesn't really matter, as long as you're high enough power to get into the activity in question. If you do want to level most efficiently, then save the weekly milestones for when you get over the level at which blue engrams stop dropping at a higher power level than you, and strike and bounty rewards stop dropping at a higher level. But if you can't get to that level in the first week then you might as well do the milestones anyway before the weekly reset at 6pm Tuesday. It's hard to say what that level is if you haven't got the DLCs, as it'll be lower - I think you still cap out at 305 then, but can't remember how high the blues go, and I've no idea what the bounty and strike engrams drop at if you only have vanilla.

That's levelling, but in terms of content itself I guess you'd want to do strikes, and the exotic quests that you'll see as icons on the world maps, and adventures, lost sectors, public events. When your power level gets high enough you'll want to do heroic strikes, but beyond that, in PvE, you'll generally need a pre-made fireteam, as the next thing you should try is Nightfalls and raids and they don't matchmake. Nightfalls (Prestige Nightfalls, if you turn the difficulty up and go for high scores) and the raids in particular are most of the PvE endgame. There's other endgame stuff too, such as the Whisper quest everyone's doing at the moment, and Escalation Protocol, but the latter is a feature of the Warmind expansion.

It's really hard to say if you should buy the DLC. It is required if you want to get Forsaken in September, but the story campaigns for Osiris and Warmind are very, very short. The bulk of the game is everything that comes after that really. So you may be better off trying a bit of that stuff in vanilla before deciding if it's the sort of thing you'd like more of. For what it's worth, I though the Osiris DLC was crap - the raid lair aside - but Warmind has been way better. Part of that's to do with the way they're changing the way the game works and putting better weapons and other gear in it - and that applies to all players, not just the people who bought the DLC - but some of the content that's been rolled out lately is a massive improvement (Escalation Protocol, the Whisper quest, the fact that we finally have prestige raid lairs, etc).

If you get into a few different types of activity with a pre-made fireteam that'll be the best way to evaluate whether it's something you want to do regularly, and is worth buying the expansions for. So the platform you're on and the number of players you can get together regularly is a key factor. It's not that great a game just playing solo.

13 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Cheers, I’ll read up on that.

Sorry, forgot to mention I’m on Xbox. That would have been a decent bit of information to have included :facepalm:

I think most of the active players at the moment are on PS4 - the most active posters anyway - but obviously there are some on PC and Xbox as well. There are far fewer on every platform than there were in vanilla, which is understandable because imo vanilla post-campaign was such a disappointment, and Osiris did nothing to fix that. But it's also a shame, because since Warmind the game has improved an awful lot, and it looks likely that upward curve will continue with Forsaken. I'm just not sure how many players that will bring back, because Warmind's been pretty good overall, there's tons (maybe too much) to do at the moment, and yet the number of active players just isn't that great. Our PS4 clan is full at 100 members, and although there's enough of us to get plenty of raids and other stuff done, I'd say at least 60-70% of the clan are never on, and some of those that are don't really regularly join in group endgame stuff. So if that experience is similar on Xbox, the number of endgame players from the forum who are currently available is likely to be far smaller.

Have a look in the Destiny folder for the Xbox clan thread and maybe post in there.