Gorf King

Destiny 2

I could see this being Bungie's first 60fps console game.

Their engine will need to support at least 60hz for the PC version and every other big shooter — CoD, BF, Tf2, Overwatch, etc — aims for 60fps these days. At the very least I expect the Crucible to run at a higher framerate, although that kind of split might be a bit jarring; I definitely need to adjust when switching from Uncharted 4's multiplayer to its co-op.

The original on PS4 practically never drops below 30fps, so it'd probably be hitting 40+ reliably if you uncapped it. If the sequel was built with a higher refresh rate in mind early on, and factoring in the progress made with techniques like adaptive resolution and the like, I imagine the base PS4 and Xbox One could deliver a good looking game with a similar performance profile to the Battlefield games, if not better.

To be clear I'm not one of those '60fps or bust' people, I just think the change would make a lot of sense for a sequel that doesn't need to worry about PS3/360 but will need to keep an eye on the Pro, Scorpio and PC.

As a counterpoint, Bungie have gone for 30fps in every game they've ever made, and their games have recently tended towards unifying different game modes - so that you can use the same character and gear in multiplayer, and the MP modes share locations and lore with the SP modes. So while they might go for 60fps, I don't think they'll look to emulate other games because they tend to do their own thing rather than move with industry trends, and I definitely don't think they'll have a 60fps MP and a 30fps SP. Bungie are all about the richness of the world and the detail of the visuals, I can't seem them compromising on their skyboxes or their particle effects for the sake of a frame rate boost.

Now that I've confidently said that, watch them go all out for 60fps.

6 minutes ago, K said:

As a counterpoint, Bungie have gone for 30fps in every game they've ever made, and their games have recently tended towards unifying different game modes - so that you can use the same character and gear in multiplayer, and the MP modes share locations and lore with the SP modes. So while they might go for 60fps, I don't think they'll look to emulate other games because they tend to do their own thing rather than move with industry trends, and I definitely don't think they'll have a 60fps MP and a 30fps SP. Bungie are all about the richness of the world and the detail of the visuals, I can't seem them compromising on their skyboxes or their particle effects for the sake of a frame rate boost.

Now that I've confidently said that, watch them go all out for 60fps.

PvP better have dedicated servers + 60fps :mad:

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

FPS isn't the problem anyways. It's server tick rate and lag.

They make it unplayable as in there is no point in playing it, 60fps is needed onto of those being fixed - both will benefit from dedicated servers ;)

On 02/02/2017 at 14:51, Nnooo said:

You could have joined me at any time bastard :P

Still my most frequent and most played game!!

I figured that starting a year and a half behind you would have been a bit of a mis-match in ability! 

2 hours ago, Jonathan_Kerr said:

I figured that starting a year and a half behind you would have been a bit of a mis-match in ability! 

Ha ha. I'd totally have helped you out!! Still can if you like :)

It's on, lads.

HPTIIhg.png

Edit: from the Q&A, via reddit:

Brian Nowak - Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC

Great. Thanks. And I have one follow-up. 2017 ramp, some would call it a tough compare. Destiny is obviously one of the bigger titles as we think about next year. Anything more you can talk about kind of on timing or digital aspects or innovation around the new Destiny, drive more user growth, engagement or monetization? Thanks.

Eric Hirshberg - Activision Blizzard, Inc.

Hey, Brian. Thanks for the question. So, as we mentioned, we're on track and really excited about what we think is going to be an awesome sequel for Destiny in 2017. No announcements today on timing just yet. But what I will say is, that sequel is designed to both excite our highly-engaged current players, but also to broaden the appeal even further, bringing in new fans and bringing back lapsed fans, as well. So that's our primary focus right now.

Beyond that, in the past, I've mentioned that the incredible demand for Destiny content has somewhat outpaced our ability to deliver upon that demand. And going forward, along with our partners at Bungie, we've put together what we believe is a very smart approach that will allow us to deliver that steady stream of great content to keep our players engaged and keep the universe live and growing in the wake of that sequel.

Edit edit: in the Q&A, the Activision rep also stated that the title will be released in 'Fall 2017'. 

• Upvote 7

What We Know About Destiny 2, updated

Bungie has made a pre-announcement teaser of a stream next week which will reveal the last content for Destiny 1. As part of this they've confirmed what most of us expected: you won't carry over the gameplay substance of your character or weapons/armour from Destiny to D2. You will carry over what are essentially some key personalisation/cosmetic characteristics. From The Road Ahead announcement announcement: 

Destiny 1 power, possessions, and Eververse-related items and currency will not carry forward. [... but] we do plan to preserve your character personalization. We are going to recognize the dedication and passion you’ve shown for this world. Specifically, the class, race, gender, face, hair, and marking selections for all characters that have achieved Level 20 and completed the Black Garden story mission will carry forward. We also plan to award those veteran accounts with honors that reflect your Destiny 1 accomplishments.

• Upvote 2

Posted in the Destiny thread, 8th September release date & PS4 Beta to hit in June.

Leaked posted details all over the web show a three person fireteam. Was hoping that would be expanded.

That poster looks bland enough to be real, but also obvious enough to be fake. Anyone could have made that, really; I'd hope they'd go with a more striking image than that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

One idea I had to improve the story mode in Destiny 2 would be to copy what they did in the crucible in the first game, and remove the level differences and normalise all damage. The story mode in D1 was a bit of a disgrace, in that there were forty or so missions over the base game and all four expansions, and all but a handful were pretty rubbish; hopefully Bungie can sort that out in D2 anyway, and have a story mode with unique missions and environments. But the other thing missing as compared to previous Bungie games was balance – the idea that the campaign consists of a series of narratively linked, finely-tuned combat setpieces.

I can’t see how you’d have proper gameplay balance in a game where you can’t guarantee what light level each player would be. If they followed the crucible example, you could have a go at balancing the story missions across a variety of difficulties so that they’re actually fun to play in themselves. Strikes and Raids would let you use your full light-level.

They need to do something at least to make the story worth playing – as it is, it’s this vestigial remnant of the Halo series that nobody ever really touches after the first time through.

• Upvote 1

17553738_1303376756424292_35826343693700

Looks very similar to some leaked images from last year:

Z26ci82.jpg

inZAgqS.jpg

and obviously fits the rumoured 'Last City under attack' setup, along with the Cabal-fighting-in-tower theme leaked earlier this year.

Main problem I have is that it looks like a rejected BBC2 ident.

Edit: You Had To Be There lame in-joke

Spoiler

iatmN9V.jpg

• Upvote 6