rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2: still no word from Fenchurch

Yes, all the campaign story missions can be (and by default, are) played solo. There are "Strikes" (a longer mission type, not part of the main campaign) that matchmake you into a 3, but all the campaign and all the post- and side- Adventure content (short story missions) are all solo.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JoeK said:

So, because I live under a rock and don't like people, can you play the main D2 campaign solo? I know it's not really the way of doing things, but I do want to give it a run through if possible.

Yup! That's how I've played the main game & all the story bits of the expansions.

Just enjoy playing through it and trying out different weapon types - you're not likely to get much that's a keeper until the endgame, so use this time to experiment.

Definitely get a companion app too (I use Destiny Item Manager) to swap out gear as you play, though you won't really *need* until you get enough stuff you'll actually use.

Like you I don't really play with others, though strikes are fun (once you have some semi-decent equipment at least).

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Giraffetastic said:

Yup! That's how I've played the main game & all the story bits of the expansions.

Just enjoy playing through it and trying out different weapon types - you're not likely to get much that's a keeper until the endgame, so use this time to experiment.

Definitely get a companion app too (I use Destiny Item Manager) to swap out gear as you play, though you won't really *need* until you get enough stuff you'll actually use.

Like you I don't really play with others, though strikes are fun (once you have some semi-decent equipment at least).

I took the plunge earlier on, and I have to say I've missed playing a Bungie game :) . There's something really unique about they way they do FPS stuff...it's how I remember Halo gunplay was like (but it's been a few years since I played them, so I could be wrong on that front!).

Looks fab on PC too - just really stylish and the use of colours is wonderful.

So much so that I've just bought the 'Art of...' books :D . 

Yeah, it's incredibly enjoyable to play and I'm glad I jumped in. 

It's a bit of a pity that whilst I really like the overall universe and set-up to what's going on, the missions and story told therein are really pretty naff! It does kind of feel like Bungie begrudgingly decided to write something down on the back of a beer mat because they kind of felt obligated to do it rather than any desire to do so.

Which is odd, because they've clearly gone to indescribable depth with everything else in the whole lore and stuff.

But from a gameplay perspective, it's by far the most fun I've had in an FPS for a long, long time.

In other Destiny news, I got my copy of the 'Art of Destiny' today, and it's bloody awesome. I do love an artbook most of the time, but this one's absolutely top drawer.

Definite Crash Smash all over the place.

Hmm, decided to give this a whirl tonight as I'm taking a break from Anthem for a bit.

Dont like what they've done to powerful drops only being +1 over your current light right from the outset (650). Apparently only Prime engrams and a few other sparse sources give higher than that, right up to 695 ish. There's no real urgency to get to 700 this season, but this is definitely an artificial grind for the sake of stretching out content, and most of it is old content at that. Almost feels like your wasting your time doing 3 strikes for a grand total of +1 to your max power for example.

This post seems spot on though, as I had the Chaperone reward on my Warlock, so picked it up, and it was +3, so seems accurate:

Apparently the +1/+6 for the black armory weapon frame is for the first frame and then the second, so if thats correct, you should make sure your lowest power weapon slot is the second frame to be completed.

I've reached the point now where I've stopped paying that much attention to levelling up efficiently - as you said, there's no realy incentive or urgency to get to 700, with The Reckoning really the only activity I'm locked out of right now. 

Part of me is also wondering whether the Power Surge bounties are going to be a regular thing with every new expansion that comes out in the future. Which gives even less of a reason to be spending time levelling up now... In any case, it's now perfectly possible to just dip into a couple of activities on a weekly basis to make some slow and steady progress. Skipping from Gambit to Crucible to Strikes to Flashpoint to Xur bounty to... other stuff feels pretty darn satisfying. The only thing I'm staying clear of is the Dreaming City weekly bounties - far too much effort for the rewards on offer.

I've hit this reasonably hard with my hunter and hit 683 yesterday, high enough to try tier 3 Reckoning once I've unlocked it. 

The new vanguard/drifter quest line seems to reward powerful gear too as you progress by the way. 

Scourge is definitely worth running if you get a chance, big power boost there. 

On Tuesday Patch Hotfix 2.2.0.2 should be out, and with it powerful drops should become powerful again (and not just be +1 before hitting 690 power).

Just play what you want until then I guess.

19 hours ago, JoeK said:

Yeah, it's incredibly enjoyable to play and I'm glad I jumped in. 

It's a bit of a pity that whilst I really like the overall universe and set-up to what's going on, the missions and story told therein are really pretty naff! It does kind of feel like Bungie begrudgingly decided to write something down on the back of a beer mat because they kind of felt obligated to do it rather than any desire to do so.

Which is odd, because they've clearly gone to indescribable depth with everything else in the whole lore and stuff.

But from a gameplay perspective, it's by far the most fun I've had in an FPS for a long, long time.

In other Destiny news, I got my copy of the 'Art of Destiny' today, and it's bloody awesome. I do love an artbook most of the time, but this one's absolutely top drawer.

Definite Crash Smash all over the place.

Add me on pc if you want, it's better to run some content in a team, nightfalls and such. I'm sbrandon111 on blizzard I think :)

On 18/03/2019 at 06:08, Mr. Gerbik said:

Clicked on thread because I saw the word 'Sekiro'. Would never go into a shlooter thread otherwise. Well played, whoever writes the thread titles:coffee:

It's a really, really fine game...just that the moments you share the world with other people fuck me off enormously. It kills the moment when you're supposed to be somewhat alone on these worlds only to find all manner of folk jumping around. One silly fucker kept on trying to shoot me constantly, which caused me to fuck off to another area. So, I spend these times desperately running away from everyone just to get to the next story mission.

I honestly don't get why it would have been so hard for them to make an 'anti-social' area so people like me can mind their own business and just get down to shooting stuff.

But those story missions are fucking awesome fun - absolutely the most fun I've had with an FPS for ages. 

Which is why I'm so looking forward to Halo coming onto PC.

The social areas are meant to be social, both for gameplay and lore reasons. You're just one of many Guardians going about your business, outside of the story campaigns where everyone's the most important Guardian who ever lived. Even then though, it still makes sense for you to run into other Guardians in the social areas.

12 minutes ago, Mogster said:

The social areas are meant to be social, both for gameplay and lore reasons. You're just one of many Guardians going about your business, outside of the story campaigns where everyone's the most important Guardian who ever lived. Even then though, it still makes sense for you to run into other Guardians in the social areas.

I’m sure it does, but humans don’t act via a script which leads to annoying situations that I’d have preferred not having...however, I kind of understood it was going to be this way when I joined in, so it’s on me and my introvert life I guess!

Finished the Allegiance quest on my Warlock just now (sided with the Vanguard). The lore is pretty decent, and you learn a fair bit about the Drifter, finally. Other than the Allegiance quest and the nine (Xur's bounty) each weekend though, there's only really Gambit Prime and Reckoning this season.

Hopefully the next season wont be like this, but then it does have a raid, so there's that at least. Shame it seems to be on the Leviathan again though. Hopefully we get to kill the fat robot frog for good this time.

On 24/03/2019 at 11:04, Hexx said:

Praise RNGesus! Cursebreaker Obtained!

Somewhat related - does anyone feel like they improved drop rates with the last patch? I've been getting a lot more Curated rolls and Exotics since. Managed to finally get the Gwisn Vest and the Queenbreaker in the space of about a week too. 

3 hours ago, redbloodcel said:

Somewhat related - does anyone feel like they improved drop rates with the last patch? I've been getting a lot more Curated rolls and Exotics since. Managed to finally get the Gwisn Vest and the Queenbreaker in the space of about a week too. 

Yes. I dont' think i had an exotic drop at all in Black Armoury and have had 5 in the last week or so. Of course, that's very defnition of RNG though...

TWAB

Today, we’re focusing on change. Destiny 2 Update 2.2.1 is on approach, and we have another round of server-side changes coming to Gambit and Gambit Prime Matchmaking to tune your experience.

Nightfalls

Moving forward, we’ll be putting effort into preventing streaks where specific Nightfalls appear multiple weeks in a row or don’t appear at all for months, and we’ll be making sure your experience tackling strikes associated with Seals isn’t feast or famine.

Ada-1 Weapon Frames

In Destiny 2 Update 2.2.1, Ada-1 will begin offering all weapon frames each week. While players will still be limited in how many different frames they may acquire per week, we are removing the weekly rotation.

Destiny 2 Update 2.2.1 Preview

Tentatively planned for April 9, Destiny 2 Update 2.2.1 will bring a variety of quality-of-life changes and bug fixes. Below is a short list of topics that we commonly see in the wild. Note, if any issues are found in the final weeks of development, the following may change or be delayed. We’ll be sure to keep you updated on status as we get closer to release.

Dreaming City cosmetics

Drop rates for the Ghost, ship, and Sparrow have been doubled, tripled, or more for their respective activities

Last Wish cosmetics 

Drop rates for the Ghost, ship, and Sparrow have been doubled, tripled, or more for their respective checkpoints

One Thousand Voices

This Exotic will continue to be rare among players, but we’ve tuned the drop weights to give slightly better chances than what are currently available

Increasing drop rates for various Lore Books

Cayde’s Stash

Dreaming City

Tangled Shore

Invitations of the Nine

Currently, players must complete an Invitation of the Nine by Tuesday reset in order to have a new invitation appear on Friday

After Update 2.2.1, players have through Thursday’s reset at 10AM to complete the invitation

Nightfall Power Handicap

In Season of the Drifter, the Five of Swords card was updated to apply score multipliers only after setting a Power handicap of 100+

In Update 2.2.1, we’ll be adding +25 and Max Handicap buttons to help players set their handicaps more efficiently

Destiny 2 Update 2.2.1 will also kick off Arc Week. Be sure to check back next week for information on how we’ll be celebrating Arc Energy in Season of the Drifter.

Bit miffed they'll push the update out after the next full curse week, seeing as I only need the ship for Cursebreaker (grats on that @Hexx you lucky bastard lol), but I've waited this long, I can wait a bit longer.

Also it looks like @Uncle Mike may get his 1k voices finally if the buff is significant enough.

Having one character/load out across PVE and PVP was one of the dumbest decisions they made and it hobbled them throughout the life of Destiny 1. See the ridiculous situation where, for most of its life, shotguns were simultaneously deadly instadeath cannons in PVE and useless water pistols in PVE.

Then they carried it forward to Destiny 2. :facepalm:

6 hours ago, Harsin said:

Having one character/load out across PVE and PVP was one of the dumbest decisions they made and it hobbled them throughout the life of Destiny 1. See the ridiculous situation where, for most of its life, shotguns were simultaneously deadly instadeath cannons in PVE and useless water pistols in PVE.

Then they carried it forward to Destiny 2. :facepalm:

Not sure what this means to be honest, as Shotguns are great in both pvp and pve currently in D2.

If they are thinking of blending pvp and pve, then it will still be a balance issue, and not a lot would change from the way things are now, where nerfs and buffs are usually based on pvp or pve performance of weapons/items/abilities.

They'd have to cut pvp completely for it to be a non-issue, and I cant see Bungie doing that myself. They're too obsessed with having the player character have access to both, seemlessly (take pve loadouts into pvp, and vice versa).

In Destiny 1 maybe, but not in D2.

The recent changes to D2 just made them do miles more damage in pve (where they were hardly weak anyway) and slightly reduced their range in pvp (one meter, if that - not really noticeable). They also reduced rapid fire shotgun fire rate by 90% (this is the biggest nerf, though the damage increase makes up for it) because those are used more in pve than any other, which was their justification for the nerf, but that was ridiculous because the trench barrel perk is only on rapid fire shotguns, which is why they are used more than any other shotgun in pve :facepalm:

Overall, though, shotguns are more or less in the same place they were before the recent patch, albeit pvpers have to close distance a slight bit more, and in pve you can now use any shotgun and still do good damage, though trench barrel shotties are still top dog.

This is just that rumour from a little under under a year(?) ago, recycled. The rumour on reddit that said they were thinking of making PvPvE zones, shortly before the full release of Gambit. There's been nothing more substantial since. What happened was that at the weekend, Fireteam Chat had a live show with, they admitted, nothing much to talk about. Steven from the team was invited to talk about anything at all to fill the space after the patch note dissection ended and said 'hey, there's all these rumours that D3 will have no PvP but will have Darkness Zones instead' and said the rumour came from AnontheNine, who was the guy who made the post on reddit last year.

Why Steven decided to blow it up now was that he'd put it together with the fact that two big sandbox leads have left in the past few weeks and decided this beefed it up and it needed a fresh airing, so it became 'all these rumours' rather than just the one. Because Destin Legary had already admitted they had little to talk about that episode he decided to run with it purely speculatively, and was all 'right, this is just a rumour, but let's pretend it's real - what do we think?' and they then speculated on what a D3 without PvP would be like.

Then Paul Tassi 'reported' this in the Forbes article linked above without any source other than That Steven off Fireteam Chat, and even went as far to post a correction to his own article saying that the rumour didn't come from AnontheNine on reddit, after first saying it did. But not saying where it had come from, apart from that it didn't come from the place it did in fact come from, a year ago. Then he speculated that this PvPvE zone would be like it is in The Division, for no real reason, because maybe Steven said so when he was bored.

Then all this got reported back around the place and showed up in numerous new reddit posts reporting on these new rumours that are in fact just the first one from reddit last year with bits people add on because the internet does that. And now it really is 'all these rumours'. But really it's just people repeating the old one in the absence of anything else much to talk about.

I can't see them removing PvP myself. I mean, a big part of me wishes they would. But they'd probably be mad to do that, commercially at least. And that personal hot take carries about as much weight as all the others added together. But the real big news is that DeeJ is also leaving Bungie and going to work as community manager for BioWare, having been headhunted on the basis of his stellar performance on the Osiris stream. Twelve months from now, D3 will be a free-to-play Battle Royale game, we'll get the Full Beanie and Slacks armour set we've all been craving, and Anthem will finally steal the space looter crown with its first paid expansion, Two Tokens And A Blue.