rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep: Welcome to the Dungeon/Forest/Xenophage

And also RNG, and also that Bungie seem to think that if they made a great thing, and everyone uses it because it's great, that this is a problem because we're not using the other things. And that the way to fix that isn't to make more great things, but to make the great things less great.

• Upvote 1

They've given 2 reasons (which are kinda interlinked).

If there's a massive disparity in power between items people always use the strong. Keeping it simple 1 exotic gives me 25 DamgaePerSecond. Another 100 DPS. People are probably going to use use the 100DPS one.

Bungie think this is a problem as it means there's not much diversity in builds/gameplay. (Players enjoy the 100DPS gameplay but wish there was other ways to do)

Bungie then need to design the encounters around players have a range of 25DPS - 100DPS. So people will use the stronger stuff to make it easier

for themselves. (It's a bit chicken and egg in argument in which comes first - but again "lack of diversity" can be a result)

Bungie's approach is to reduce the 100 one down to 25. Everything's dandy, people will pick different options, no problemo.

But 

• The 100 item was (often but not always) harder to get. But most of what they're nerfing comes at long quest chains. (e.g. Whisper) 
  • Bungie designed the 100 item. This isn't a "surprise" problem. (e.g. Whisper they knew exactly what mechanic they were introducing). 
  • People like power fantasy. Often the 100 items are [the only?) ways to fullfill that (and overcome some bad Destiny 2 design choices). People would much rather they made the 25 item into a 100 item (or an 80 item, or a 95, or a 125). No one wants to log in and feel much much weaker.
  • They've been selling skins etc for the 100 item, that they're now changing the mechanics of to make it worse so it won't be used as much.

• Upvote 2

Riven ‘blind’ and ‘legit’ I’ll agree.  But that’s just one fight. Reckoning runs, the last boss on Scourge, Last Wish big Ogre, pvp, there’s always the specific equipment requirement. People are constantly instaquitting matchmaking the Reckoning if they see a Titan. That’s the reality and I’m sure there’s numbers in the Bungie computer backing up what everyone is using and wearing too much of.

I’d love the solution to make everything else better and louder, but to do that, more encounters will become easy-mode no matter how well they are designed. The Shiro-Chi race is amazingly well designed but it'll take a different approach if we didn’t all have infinite wells and orbs and tethers. And when everything is buffed up there will still be some more equal than others.

It also doesn’t help the casuals and first timers. At the moment who out of all us pro grinders would go into a raid with 4 first timers at max level but a set of average gear? We’d hate it.

Yeah, but you're just describing bad lfg groups. The worst excuse they ever had for a nerf (Gjally, D1), was that 'all the lfg groups are requiring it, so we're going to fuck it up'. That's no way to design pinnacle gear and weapons capabilities. Or, if it is, just design more equally powerful gear and weapons and make the encounters more varied so they demand or support a greater variety of weapons.

But ultimately, there'll always be a meta, and many lfg people will demand you conform to it whether they're right or wrong to do so. I know in D1 they usually demanded you had a Gjally as a requirement for running Crota. And they were wrong - it just wasn't needed. We completed that raid over 60 times and I don't think any of us ever used Gjally. And for Riven, as you know, they all tended to use cluster rockets and none of the pinnacle exotics at all. It was we who used Whisper, and it was fucking hard to do so, in the proper encounter without exploits. LFG groups will take that approach again with any content. People always do, and nerfing Whisper will make no difference to that.

I dunno, I think all the encounters except Kalli and the ogre in Last Wish are difficult, whatever you use. And these nerfs - I mean, shards of Galanor, why nerf that again? It's frustratingly inconsistent and dangerous to use as it is after the last few nerfs. It hardly makes anything piss easy, and certainly not the raids. All I know is that it was getting harder than ever to get a proper blind raid team together anyway, and this latest round of nerfs just makes it harder still. I can't see it doing anything to help 'casuals' or first timers at all, because this just makes the game more difficult for everyone, and if you can't get a three together for the Whisper quest, what hope have you of getting six for a raid anyway, let alone a blind one?

But on that note of helping raid newcomers through raids, we recently took a team mate who'd never played D1 past vanilla through the full set of raids, and it was great fun to do so. So yeah, we would do that if the person's up to it, and up for it. We managed to get a raid team of six easy for all of them even at short notice, but we can't even get a three for Zero Hour at the moment. Why? Because people love their gear and their weapons and those D1 encounters. And those same people are sick of this shit happening in D2: the pushing of content into modes they don't particularly want to play (the Gambit expansion; the Forges), and the last round of nerfs to Sleeper and Whisper, and now this one to them again plus a whole lot more of our favourite things. I give Outlook Perfected a few moths before it cops it too. So what's the point?

Bungie have a real problem here, repeating the mistakes of the past all over again, just when they can least afford to do so. As I said earlier, it's baffling. Nothing was terribly broken by these items and, if they were broken, they were broken in fun ways. It was enjoyable to use them, and it helped with doing the hard stuff (e.g. blind raids or the heroic version of Zero Hour). Now it's going to be a lot less enjoyable and a lot harder to do that kind of thing. If some LFG clown insists everyone has to be at max light and kitted out to their specs to do an activity, bollocks to them. I don't want my game design dictated by idiocy. I want the design and the rewards to be surprising, imaginative, challenging, and fun. Not grey and 'balanced' and with nothing exciting to aspire to. I want Gjally to drop - I want that moment of game-changing joy. I want the Whisper quest and the glory of discovering how great the reward is. I want truly great raid/secret encounters and truly great raid/secret rewards. And I want that joy to stay, to not be some temporary buzz that'll get taken away, just a marketing ploy to sucker people back in for a few weeks or months before the rug's pulled from under your feet again and you then get forced to choose which shitty purple scout rifle to plink away at a boss for half an hour with cos heavy ammo only drops every ten minutes and the DPS from your heavy weapon when you do have ammo is trash. Fuck that noise.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

And also RNG

Isn't that supposed to lead to a more even distribution of powerful gear? After all, it's random...?!

2 hours ago, mikeyl said:

Riven ‘blind’ and ‘legit’ I’ll agree.  But that’s just one fight. Reckoning runs, the last boss on Scourge, Last Wish big Ogre, pvp, there’s always the specific equipment requirement. People are constantly instaquitting matchmaking the Reckoning if they see a Titan. That’s the reality and I’m sure there’s numbers in the Bungie computer backing up what everyone is using and wearing too much of.

I’d love the solution to make everything else better and louder, but to do that, more encounters will become easy-mode no matter how well they are designed. The Shiro-Chi race is amazingly well designed but it'll take a different approach if we didn’t all have infinite wells and orbs and tethers. And when everything is buffed up there will still be some more equal than others.

It also doesn’t help the casuals and first timers. At the moment who out of all us pro grinders would go into a raid with 4 first timers at max level but a set of average gear? We’d hate it.

Yeah I struggled in Reckoning with anything other than my Warlock, purely because the random warlocks I team up with are all the wrong spec for the bridge encounter, which is the main issue in Reckoning T2/3 - Bungie needs to change the encounter post Opulence or no-one will ever play the damn thing after these nerfs - whereas at least some Titans had the brains to go bubble. Hunters werent the issue most of the time, and were tether specced, fair play.

Theres no excuse to not buff the other armour exotics though. @redbloodcel is correct. They really are utter trash, and I never see anyone using them. The same goes for a lot of the exotc weapons from Y1 now, thinking about it. How often do you see anyone use Sunshot now? Graviton Lance? Sweet Business? Never is the answer, despite them getting catalysts that made them seem amazing at the time. Not so much now.

Of all the weapon nerfs, I'm more annoyed by the change to Lord of Wolves, as I only started using it late this season, and it is the Lord of Shotguns at this point, admittedly. I hope the flat damage boost they're supposedly adding makes up for the 20% damage nerf, or it will be the most short lived "buff" an exotic gun has had in Destiny I think, especially one that was trash prior.

I also like how they nerf Whisper, when the main draw of the weapon is its infinite ammo, but dont address the massive issue that is the lack of heavy ammo drops, even when wearing heavy ammo finder! Like, fix the fucking perk for crying out loud before nerfing the one heavy that bypasses the problem.

But dont forget to buy our tat from the Bungie store!! This sweet TR3-VR shirt could be yours!!!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr Ben said:

I also like how they nerf Whisper, when the main draw of the weapon is its infinite ammo, but dont address the massive issue that is the lack of heavy ammo drops, even when wearing heavy ammo finder! Like, fix the fucking perk for crying out loud before nerfing the one heavy that bypasses the problem.

Yep, do that and you'd see plenty of more variety. Whisper might be a DPS monster but it's also a pain in the ass to use! 

• Upvote 1

Not really. As well as it being invalidated because it's from slayerage - a gifted PC player who thinks every encounter is trivially easy, even when 98% of the player base think it very difficult - he barely addresses some of the central points of concern. For example, on the first point (his own skill level and platform of choice), he reckons Zero Hour is 'quick and easy' with 'virtually no threat to the player', and the boss fight is 'practically a free win'. Heh... no. It really isn't. As well as being slayerage, and therefore having godlike skills, he plays on PC, of course, and therefore has perfect aim and no recoil. Reminds me a bit of The Division 2's raid - if he had his way you'd probably not be able to complete Destiny 2 raids on console either, unless you were also god-like. No thanks, slayerage. He thinks, and always has, that *every* encounter, including every raid last boss encounter, is trivially easy, and regularly lobbies for them to be made harder. He did the same with Leviathan and almost everything else. He's wrong there; they are difficult enough that the vast majority of the player base never even try them.

The lack of properly addressing broader concerns comes because he seems to accept, for example, that Whisper is only good for some encounters, where the boss is static and has a large weak spot. He says it's not used otherwise: not where the boss moves around more, or where other mechanics mean you can't just stay ADS forever aiming at a static target. But he doesn't expand on that - just notes it and moves on. Same with the fact that the heavy ammo economy is fucked and there aren't synths - he notes that, seems to accept it might be an issue, but doesn't factor that in to why people really use Whisper. Just says it's something for another time, and moves on. I don't think you can accept that the issue might be with encounter design that almost forces you to use snipers - because bosses stomp the shit out of you but are static with huge weak spots - and don't drop enough heavy to feed non-Whisper snipers, and you can't use synths - and, having accepted those issues, fails to deal with them and says that nerfing the very things that get round the problem is fine. It's not fine. It's not something to deal with 'at another time', it needs to be dealt with at the same time as the nerfs to the things that make those issues tolerable.

The video is also somewhat tendentious because he's basing his 'the nerfs are fine' argument on only two of the nerfed items: Whisper and Skull of Dire Ahamkara. Like, Sleeper's being nerfed, but why? It doesn't conform to the model of infinite ammo or infinite supers that his whole video is based on. It's just, like, a powerful weapon sometimes, in some situations, because it's exotic. Lots of things are being nerfed that don't conform to the model. I don't think anyone thinks that Shards of Galanor in their current state trivialise content. Because they don't. Yet they're being nerfed too.

He also acknowledges in passing, but doesn't really address, another key point: that Bungie knew all this when they reintroduced Whisper into D2. They knew it because of D1. It cannot be a mistake. It feels - and this is what puts some people off the most - like Whisper was a short-term fix to get players back in, to raise the power fantasy, and that Bungie knew when they reintroduced it that they would bring it crashing down again later on in the name of balance. It feels like Bungie either don't know how to design power and also have the memory of gnats, or else they do this cynical thing deliberately, that they plan these cycles. And the concern there is that this might suggest they're going to follow that through like they did in late D1, leading to D2. That we're heading back on our way to D2 vanilla levels of exotic boredom. Personally, that's the feeling of déjà vu that occurs the most to me and is the most off-putting. Because the lame exotics and lack of power in D2 vanilla were depressing and dull as fuck.

Slayerage is a great player, but in terms of assessing how 'trivial' these exotics make the content, he's probably the worst person in the world to asses such a thing. And he doesn't give nearly enough attention to issues such as the fucked ammo economy and static, long-range-only boss encounter designs before declaring that really all the changes are fine, based on only two (the most obvious) examples. They'd only be fine if the rest of the game is tuned to them, and not to someone who can solo Last Wish while playing on a fishing rod controller. It's great to see the game played by a master, but world-first speed running PC soloists aren't best placed to judge what makes a game unbalanced or too easy or trivial to complete. 

• Upvote 1

Personally, the only exotic I felt needed a nerf is Skull, as its ridiculous you can lob a nova bomb at a group of 4 red bar enemies, kill them, and get your super back. Shards of Galanor is nowhere near that level, as you wont get a super back at all, and Ursa's needs the full firepower of one of the tanks shooting you in Zero Hour to get a super back - thats a full arc bombardment, and the rail gun at the same time, if anyones wondering. If only a few enemies shoot you, you're lucky to get a quarter of your bar back, if that.

With regards to Whisper, If heavy ammo was plentiful then it'd have lots of competition. As it is, it barely drops, hence you feel forced to use Whisper in most boss encounters due to ammo constraints. Thats without taking stomp mechanics into consideration. They shouldnt have put it in the game as it was after D1's Black Hammer/Spindle shenanigans, but here we are.

They better have some good news (exotic buffs) lined up for one of the upcoming TWABS, as well as rebalancing activities that were balanced around these exotics (Reckoning T3 bridge instantly comes to mind - try that without wells, tethers or bubbles!), or there'll be more problems ahead for Bungie. Possibly Osiris level ones.

Now I've had a few days to process this I realise it's really a problem with communication, like it has been for Bungie throughout Destiny's life. So many better ways to go about this, to both prepare the community for it happening and sweeten the pill a bit (by announcing buffs at the same time, say). Basically I'm blaming Deej again.

• Upvote 1

It might well be a problem with communication. But it might equally well be a problem with design. I recall Bungie doing some back-pedalling with vanilla D2 about some of its issues being about communication and perception. But it turned out - and was always obviously the case - that it was just a set of misguided design issues that made the game boring and colourless. I think it's fair enough that people who still play the game after it's been turned around and fully powered up again are extremely wary of this latest apparent 'balancing' nerfset that might be a first major step in rolling back the Go Faster approach that won at least some fans back.

No-one will know until the full patch notes are out and people have played the new content extensively enough to judge it (and how the new sandbox makes the older content work, or not work). I think the big problem there is, though, that fewer and fewer people are going to be lining up for the new raid on day one, and part of that is to do with this messaging. Or the actual effect of the nerfs. Take your pick, but neither is helping. 

Oh I'm not dismissing the design decisions they've made at all. Just that, once you make them, there are different, variously effective ways of talking about them.

I mean imagine if they'd said two months ago, 'we're concerned certain exotics - specifically Whisper, Skull, etc etc - are significant outliers that are affecting not only player choice but also our approach to encounter design. We'll be monitoring community discussion as we work towards solutions'. Two months later, when you're ready to announce the changes, chances are the community has, if not quite come to terms with them, then at least had a chance to consider what they might be. And maybe the community talking about this stuff impacts your decision-making too, because they know the game better than you. A blanket, drive-by 'we're taking your toys away' is one of the worst ways you can go about it. 

Aye, but regardless of whether they trailered the nerfs or not, you must admit if felt a bit weird when they brought Whisper (back) into the game anyway. And when you soon discovered it was even more powerful than Black Hammer ever was, given the precursor weapon's later trajectory you might have been forgiven for exclaiming 'why the fuck would they make something this powerful again?', as I did. And then, as you grew to love them not nerfing it and bringing even more great exotics into the game, and grew to love them saying 'we'd rather make the game more fun than more balanced', you might also be forgiven for beginning to believe they actually meant it this time. And then when you used all this powerful, exciting shit in Last Wish, and realised that with great encounter design all this stuff isn't actually overpowered or trivialising at all (unless you're on PC and are slayerage) and the game is still a big challenge to attack head on, but is also lots of fun, unlike D2 vanilla, you might hope that Bungie have recaptured that flame of old D1 at its best.

And then this happens, and you're all like, 'aaaah, so here we go again.'

I don't really concern myself about their messaging, but I am more concerned about them going through this endless loop of making a superficially great game and then fucking it up again an endless loop, like some ludological analogue of a late-capitalist boom/bust economy.

I’m fucking shit at the game and still think a few of the super buffs trivialise content so it’s not just slayerage. He raised a good point about infinite tethers turning all groups which don’t include a 20 foot ogre into trash adds.

Only just got the Warlock exotic which explodes heads. It’s great and unique. Using it everywhere. Exactly as an exotic should be. Doesn’t need a buff really, maybe make more orbs. Halfway through a Forge I switched to the infinite bomb Skull hat. Because Imma scrub and it was easier and faster to stop shooting and throw bombs. There was a massive gap in utility between the two and they need to reconcile this. It can be argued that bombs are just as fun as exploding heads and they are until they became the default option forever.

Also, Whisper, it’s still going to do double the damage of most other snipers but now you have 18 bullets (and prob 21 with a hat) instead of 9. It’s gonna be fine. Unless we wanna defend our rights to sit in the back and methodically activate the perk 8 times in a row.

• Downvote 1

The replacement perk its getting is rubbish though. Its effectively a rally barricade built into the gun. Thats it. I'd rather it got triple tap or something similar.

Edit: Coolguys video is a good watch.

"Nerfing Orpheus Rigs doesnt make the Mechaneers Tricksleeves a go to now".

Todays/Tonights TWAB has to have news on some upcoming buffs to exotics. Badly.

I like that there’s these weird Exotics for the Sidearm and Sword perverts out there. Yes buff them up in PvE why not, should be seen as a reward for actually using them.

TL;DR -

Max effective power during each encounter will be limited initially to ensure people can't overlevel.

The game will be made unavailable for two hours when the update goes live to give everyone a chance to get it downloaded. 

TWAB

Spoiler

Power Surge 
Instead of a set of bounties, a new Power Surge quest will be your jumping off point for Season of Opulence
You will need to complete this quest to access the new Raid!
Learning from Season of the Forge, this quest must be completed only once per account
After one character completes the quest, alternate characters will be rewarded with Surge gear at Power Level 690

Gambit Bounties
We didn’t want rewards from The Drifter to be one of the primary sources of power following his run as the central character for Season of the Drifter
As a result, Power boosts received from Gambit Bounties will decrease once you’ve achieved 700 Power
They will decrease even further once you reached 720 Power

Prime Attunements
On day one, prime attunements will be reset to two charges for each player
You’ll receive two new prime attunements, even if you were playing right up to the reset
We want you to be able to play your favorite character without it impacting your power leveling strategy. We talked about this in a previous TWAB

Crown of Sorrow Raid
The Crown of Sorrow raid begins on day one of Season of Opulence at 4 PM PDT
Players who want to compete will need to complete the Power Surge Quest
We’ve taken additional steps to level the playing field for World First status
All player power will be capped at power under each encounter within the raid for the first 24 hours
While Contest is active, players will face an enforced challenge throughout the Raid. This means, Power beyond certain levels will provide no advantage for a given fight (e.g., for the first fight all Power above 700 won't provide an advantage, and for the final fight Power above 720 will not provide an advantage). 

We are going to deploy the update at 8AM Pacific and the game will be down until 10AM Pacific, so that as many players as possible can get through the download and verification step and be ready for Opulence launch. 

Our goals for this cap:
Progression that challenges raiders to climb to compete for World First
A World First race that tests your skill, communication, and strategy
A World First raid that is fair

Eververse changes
With Season of Opulence, we’re making some changes to the Eververse store. 
We had two main goals for the changes we’re making to Eververse in Season of Opulence:

Direct Pick:  
Every new Eververse item in Season of Opulence will be available for direct purchase via Silver or Bright Dust
Most of these offers will be time limited, with new items available weekly

Greatest Hits:  
Season of Opulence’s Bright Engram will contain a collection of community favorite legacy items, with a focus on the “Best of Year One.”  
If you missed out on Spicy Ramen or the Selfie Emote, Season of Opulence is your chance

Armor:
Full armor sets will be made available as a single, per class bundle, as opposed to being offered only via Bright Engrams
Individual Armor pieces can also be purchased for Bright Dust whenever they appear on the storefront
These Armor pieces feature fixed perk rolls that are not randomized across duplicates

A Simpler Interface
Specific items are now featured on the front page and will be cycled with each weekly reset
Most offers will be time-limited to make way for rotating inventory, with some coming back into rotation at a later date
Players can access this new interface by visiting Tess in her usual Tower location

Wrapped Items and Refunds
Individual items purchased for Silver will now go to the relevant character inventory location in a “wrapped” state

Example: A sparrow purchased directly for Silver will arrive “wrapped” in the Sparrow inventory
To use an item, it must be “opened” just like a bundle
Once opened, the item functions and can be accessed normally
If you wish to refund an item, you will have seven days from purchase to do so
Items that have been opened cannot be refunded

TLDR - No buffs, exotic or otherwise, and no announced plans to change any existing content outside leveling and Eververse items.

New trailer:

Season of Opulence

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/47840

The Chalice of Opulence and The Menagerie

Calus would see you grow stronger through The Chalice of Opulence, which serves as a Guardians gateway to treasure in the Season of Opulence. Players who best the Menagerie, a new six player matchmade activity, will use the Chalice to create an offering of runes in exchange for the specific weapons and armor that they seek. Over time, Guardians will be able to upgrade the Chalice to acquire more plentiful and powerful rewards.

All players who have completed the Forsaken campaign will be welcome to try the Menagerie once, as well as access the Imperial Summons quest. This will grant players Power Surge gear at 690 power to help them jump directly in to the new season of content.

Owners of the Annual Pass will see new Menagerie bosses introduced throughout the first month of June, concluding with the introduction of Heroic difficulty. Matchmaking will be available for normal difficulty, but Heroic will require a pre-made fireteam to take on the greater challenge.

AE_Season7_Calendar_EN_16X9_EXPORT_FOR_L

Truth is coming back (will it have 1 in the chamber? LOL), and a new hand cannon called the Lumina. Looks like we'll be getting another moments of triumph event at the end of this season as well.

The roadmap has been updated, and the redacted items uncovered:

AE_annual_pass_roadmap_Season7_16x9_en.j

Not sure what Penumbral Chalice is, as its not mentioned in the article, and it seems to come out after Solstice of Heroes.

New pinnacle weapons:

MM1DBwz.jpg

None of those make me want to grind for them, has to be said. Will wait and see I suppose.

• Upvote 3

Peregrine Greaves are coming back btw. There's a clip in the trailer with a Titan wearing them while doing a Sunbreaker super.

Relevant video is relevant again:

YOU WILL TAKE PEREGRINE GREAVES INTO THE CRUCIBLE AND YOU WILL MASSACRE PEOPLE! YOU WILL FUCK THEM UP! YOU WILL KNEE BLADEDANCERS! DENIED! GET THAT BUTTERKNIFE THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!

:lol:

TWAB

Choose Wisely

Calus would see you grow fat from strength. During Season of Opulence, he will be granting players the Chalice of Opulence, which serves as players’ gateway to treasure. Players who emerge victorious in the Menagerie will use the Chalice to serve up an offering of runes in exchange for the weapons and gear they choose from the selection of items available. The treasure you find will be limited at first, but over time you’ll be able to upgrade the Chalice to acquire more plentiful and powerful rewards.

Each player will claim their Chalice at the start of the Season through an introductory quest line. From there, it can be shared between different Guardians on the same account.

How does it work?

Earn runes to slot on your Chalice through the following:

Completing weekly bounties

Opening up the weekly chests on the new Nessus Barge

Using a consumable that will reward you a rune after a strike, Crucible, or Gambit completion

The same consumable will also give other players in your fireteam a chance to earn an additional rune

Slot the runes into your Chalice before you enter the Menagerie

Play the Menagerie to earn your rewards

Completing the Menagerie will award you the gear you chose with your rune selections 

Each rune affects what you receive and some of its properties, depending on how you slot them

english.png?cv=3983621215&av=3561213842

It’s upgradable!

You will have a host of new Triumphs and bounties to complete that will reward a new currency called Imperials. Using these Imperials, you can upgrade your Chalice to acquire a variety of perks with a wide range of effects, from giving you more powerful rewards per week to allowing you to choose the specific gun and Masterwork stat you get from the Menagerie!

You can earn Imperials several ways:

Completing weekly bounties

Completing certain Triumphs

Using special consumables that allows for Imperial acquisition

Chalice upgrades that allow you to earn Imperials through playlist activities

You choose which upgrades you unlock first! 

Unlock additional rune slots to allow more control of an item’s specialization

Upgrade it so you earn more runes, or more rune variety

Upgrade to allow for additional powerful rewards from the Menagerie

So, for example, if you wanted to earn a random roll of a “Beloved” Sniper Rifle with Handling as the Masterwork trait, you would use a Rune of Jubilation, any red rune, and any purple rune. This rune configuration is your freebie. We’re excited for the community to come together and uncover combinations for each Menagerie reward.

We hope this gives you a better idea of how you’ll earn weapons and armor during Season of Opulence. You will still have to grind to get that perfect roll, but we have given you the option to target the item that you want to optimize and Masterwork. 

Pinnacle Weapons

Last week, we promised we would share the details on the new pinnacle weapons coming in Season of Opulence as well as some other weapons we are buffing. Here is the Destiny Dev Team to give you one last preview before show time. 

Destiny Dev Team: As with Season of the Drifter, we have another three pinnacle weapons to earn in Season of Opulence. 

Vanguard—Wendigo-GL3 (Arc Adaptive Grenade Launcher)

Wendigo-GL3’s unique perk is “Explosive Light—Picking up an Orb of Light increases the next grenade’s blast radius and damage”

Unlike most drum Grenade Launchers, Wendigo-GL3 comes with Blinding Grenades as its magazine option for some added utility to shut down teleporting Taken Captains or that Cabal Gladiator about to get in your face

You can carry up to six grenades enhanced by Explosive Light, so be sure to not let any Orbs of Light slip through your fingers when you’ve got this weapon equipped

pinnacle_Vanguard.jpg?cv=3983621215&av=3

Crucible—Revoker (Kinetic Aggressive Sniper Rifle)

Revoker’s unique perk is “Reversal of Fortune—Missing a shot returns the bullet to the magazine after a short duration”

Even the greatest of snipers is not a perfect sharpshooter, and you miss every shot you don’t take

Revoker was built with the mindset that you should always go for it, but keep in mind that Reversal of Fortune can only return a single bullet at a time

Along with its unique perk, this sniper has a custom low zoom Ambush SLH25 scope and Snapshot for those close quarters battles

Acquiring Revoker will not require reaching Fabled rank in Competitive

Players will need to earn 3500 total Glory points

You do not lose progress when losing a match

pinnacle_Crucible.jpg?cv=3983621215&av=3

Gambit—Hush (Solar Precision Combat Bow)

Hush’s unique perk is “Archer’s Gambit—Hipfire precision hits grant a massive draw speed bonus for a short duration”

This weapon is for those who would proclaim mastery with the Combat Bow

Archer’s Gambit pays out significantly better than Archer’s Tempo, but it’s going to take a more skilled hand to get the most out of it

Make those shots count

pinnacle_Gambit.jpg?cv=3983621215&av=356

We also have a few weapons and archetypes getting some tuning to make them more effective. Contrary to a popular meme, we will be buffing Fusion Rifles this season.

Fusion Rifles

Non-Exotic Fusion RiflesDamage increased against PvE combatants

High-Impact increased by 30%

Precision increased by 44%

Adaptive increased by 44%

Rapid-Fire increased by 47%

While some of the Exotic Fusion Rifles (Telesto, Jötunn, Merciless) did receive minor adjustments due to inheriting from their Legendary counterparts, they’re minor increases, under 5% each. This change was done to move Legendary Fusion Rifles a little closer to the Exotics as the gap between them was quite large, at least in PvE.

Sturm and Drang

Storm and Stress max overcharge rounds increased to 99

"Sturm Overcharge" buff text now displays the number of overcharge rounds

Overcharge damage increased by 100% in PvE

Sturm and Drang were weapons that lost a bit of their place in PvE once Forsaken hit. Not being able to carry around a special weapon hurts your output, so Sturm fell to the wayside. With these changes, along with a new version of Drang coming out in the Season of Opulence, we hope that it has some time to shine again.

Drang.jpg?cv=3983621215&av=3561213842

Swords

Ammo capacity increased to a max of 70

Starting ammo increased by 10

Black Talon

Ground and aerial projectile ammo cost increased from 3 to 4

Adaptive Frame

Ground uppercut ammo cost increased from 3 to 4

Aggressive Frame

Now lunge at target with their aerial light attack

Light attack consolidated into a single damage event

Slam attack consolidated into a single damage event

Slam attack ammo cost increased from 3 to 4

Lightweight FrameDamage tuning

Ground light attack increased by 17%

Aerial light attack decreased by 21%

Ground dash attack increased by 87%

Aerial dash attack increased by 78%

No ammo aerial light attack decreased by 49%

All other no ammo attacks decreased by 15%

Ground dash attack ammo cost increased from 2 to 3

Swords are getting some adjustments. We increased ammo capacity, but also increased the cost of heavy attacks proportionally to encourage mixing in light attacks to get the most out of them instead of just repeatedly using heavy attacks. Also, much like how Drang will show up in a new form for the Season of Opulence, the Lightweight and Aggressive swords are getting the same treatment.

Swords.jpg?cv=3983621215&av=3561213842

Patch Note Preview

Next week, Season of Opulence will go live. Update 2.5.0 is the ship carrying it to your platform of choice. We wanted to take this final moment to give you one last preview of some of the changes you can expect to see in the full patch notes on June 4. 

Fixed and issue where the Heroic version of Zero Hour would only be available on the first character to complete the activity on each account

The Luxurious Toast emote now allows players to sit for as long as they desire

Players can no longer win Crucible matches by getting kills after the timer has expired

Fixed an issue where the action for applying shaders, ornaments, holograms, or using consumables was getting cancelled and not applying on the first attempt

There are still actions that will cancel the apply function, such as hitting the "Preview" button, exiting Inventory early, letting up on the "Apply" button too early, or completely moving the cursor off of the item being applied

Players with multiple Radiant Matrix materials in their inventory will now have them removed when "Returning to Ada-1" on the appropriate weapon frame quest step

If players have Radiant Matrix materials sitting with the Postmaster, they will need to pull them out before speaking with Ada-1

Hot Pursuit

One more notable upgrade you’ll notice as Season of Opulence begins will be your Pursuits tab.

The Pursuits menu will be moved from your Inventory to the Director. With this update, you’ll be able to switch between Pursuits and the Director overview in one move. With the objectives displayed in the new tab, it should be easier than ever for you to plan your gameplay session and knock out some bounties more efficiently. We also added some filters to give you a “quests only” and “bounties only” view, so you can separate limited-time pursuits from long-term pursuits. We also increased the pursuits inventory size from 50 to 63 to give you more room to hoard some bounties.

english_1.png?cv=3983621215&av=356121384

Destiny 2 Update 2.5.0.1

Next Tuesday, June 4, the 2.5.0.1 update will be released to players in Destiny 2. This update marks the beginning of Season of Opulence, and is required in order to access Destiny 2 once it has been deployed. Listed below is the release timeline for this update.

Tuesday, June 4:

7 AM PDT (1400 UTC): Destiny 2 maintenance will begin.

8 AM PDT (1500 UTC): Destiny 2 and Companion features will be taken offline. Destiny 2 Update 2.5.0.1 will begin rolling out across all platforms and regions.*

10 AM PDT (1700 UTC): Maintenance will conclude. Destiny 2 and Companion features will be back online. Season of Opulence will begin.

The more I read about this next update the more I realise that if you step away from this game for three months or so you end up totally baffled as to what is going on and what to do.

Do you think they realise this is a block for gamers who want to come back or people new to the game?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Phelan said:

The more I read about this next update the more I realise that if you step away from this game for three months or so you end up totally baffled as to what is going on and what to do.

Do you think they realise this is a block for gamers who want to come back or people new to the game?

I was just thinking the same, having bought the annual pass but not played for months

• Upvote 1

The game's never explained shit to you, why would Bungie do anything differently with yet another set of changes?

It's expected that "the community" finds and gives out useful information and, of course, that every player is constantly checking in with "the community" what the fucking game is this week.

I mean yeah I'd rather Bungie concentrated on making the content, but this game is baffling to me and I play a lot of it. If D3 is going to go into an even more RPG-like direction, this is only going to get worse unfortunately.