rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep: the Undying Grind

Edit: Sloth hath done it.

From the YT vid on the last page:

legendNF

masterNF.jpg

grandmasterNF.jpg

Hmm. Wonder what gives the pinnies now? Guess it's still 100k, but it's harder to get 100k until you're proper powered up, and it'll take longer to get there than last season.

I hope they've fixed legendary engrams, I'd really like my last exotic armour for my titan.

Narrator: they hadn't.

Things to browse through and read during loading! It's like someone actually thought about it. ;) 

(then again, loading isn't nearly as bad on PC...)

Yes, super helpful.

KmRWBkU.png

I look forward to grinding for all those ritual weapons...what do you mean the IB bow delayed from last season is the only ritual?

• Upvote 1

:lol: nice one @Moodmon. I saw that on reddit too. Its amazing they added that considering its not been the case for...how long now?!? I cant even remember.

Emblems are also not tracking anything from before today apparently, which reddit is kicking up a stick over, and the new weapons dont seem to have any reload perks, or at least the primaries anyway.

Apparently it is something like that or reload and kill perks are all on the same tree now.  Spinfoil hat theory is this is how they get us to use different weapons by remove the standard reload/kill perks on primaries - then slowly retiring the good stuff.

So either we will all be using inferior weapons or they bring back the perk combinations for us to grind for again.  Not like Bungie to pull a trick like that.  I mean they certainly never did that with elemental primaries in D1.

I'm away right now, but I have little interest in what they have shown.  So I come back, grind power for the sake of it, get weapons that objectively aren't as good as what I have for PvE?

Trials I have no interest in, I can see them having another issue with Titans.  The new exotic...

Let's you shoot through barricade only it has less health.  Going to be a nightmare if they have snipers.  In fact, you would think they made the new barricade adjustment solely for trials/this new exotic.

I find I have little urge to log in to be honest, for those very reasons.

• Upvote 1

First day impressions of Season of the Worthy are not great, I have to say.

Rasputin Bunkers feel like a rehash of the obelisks but with the grind factor dialled up to 11. The novelty of the new public event has worn off very quickly, especially considering that it appears that they expect you to run it over and over again to finish the weekly bounty and obtain upgrade mats for the bunkers. If so, it's going to get very tedious very quickly.

Adding a load of armour sets back into the general loot pool is nice... except they can't take seasonal mods, so they're a waste of time.

Lack of ritual weapons and a collections badge is very telling too. It feels like this season is a pretty lean and underwhelming offering on the whole.

• Upvote 1

I played a tiny bit of the Obelisks to check them out back in December but got bored almost instantly. The Destiny itch usually starts coming back around 3 months and I was genuinely interested in this season but having a look at it, it is literally the menagerie/vex offensive/Obelisks again, reskinned with Rasputin logos. So probably sitting this one out again sadly. Trials has never been my bag either so not excited for that as most.

I know they can't do dungeons and raids every season but that's the Destiny I love and along with strikes (which they've essentially abandoned) compared to them, these battle arena events (they're not even a proper horde mode) just feel cheap and throwaway.

It's very evident that there's a skeleton crew working on the 'live service' of Destiny 2 this year while the bulk of Bungie is beavering away on the autumn expansion/Destiny 3/the new Chinese IP and so this seasonal model with reskins a-go-go, bounties up the wazoo and variations on an arena horde mode is the result. With the resources of High Moon Studios and Vicarious Visions no longer available to help them they just can't churn out enough compelling content to tide the playerbase over until the next substantial release, it seems.

I quite enjoyed Season of Dawn and got more than £8.50 worth of value out of it and some delightful god-rolled weapons but they should have changed it up more for the season immediately following. It really does feel like the same thing all over again and that's a big misstep. Guess they're gambling that the return of Trials will make up for the paucity of the offering elsewhere. 

Trials tonight.

Even if we had a three to take part (we don't), I doubt I'd do much of it anyway as I'm shite at PvP. Still, there'll be a slight pang of rose-tinted regret when it kicks off, that 'what if' feeling that you're missing out on what's obviously the Big New Feature of 2020's D2, even if it's really a Big Old Feature. Or maybe especially because it is.

Bungie's guide to the event:

Trials Vendor: Saint-14

Saint-14 is the Trials of Osiris vendor, residing full time in the Tower Hangar with his pigeons and ship.

When the Trials of Osiris playlist becomes active each week from Friday to Tuesday, Saint's inventory will update with Trials Passages, Bounties, and the option to turn in Trials Tokens. 

Trials Passages

There are five unique Passages that can be bought from Saint-14 which offer their own mechanics. Each Passage will track wins and losses in a single Trials run. If three losses appear on a Passage, players will be restricted from the activity and have to either reset the Passage or purchase a new one.

- Passages can be used throughout a Trials weekend and can be Reset at any time.

- Only one Passage can be purchased at a time, but players can switch them out when new ones unlock.

- Progress will reset with each Passage purchase. 

DPS_Icons_Passage_Mercy.jpg 

Mercy

Always available

Forgives one loss per run.

DPS_Icons_Passage_Ferocity.jpg

Ferocity

Always available

With zero losses, your Third Win grants a Bonus Win.

DPS_Icons_Passage_Confidence.jpg

Confidence

Unlocks after going Flawless

Grants a bonus reward from the Flawless chest.

DPS_Icons_Passage_Wealth.jpg

Wealth

Unlocks at 5 wins

Increased Trials tokens from completing and winning Trials matches.

DPS_Icons_Passage_Wisdom.jpg

Wisdom

Unlocks at 7 wins

Grants bonus XP from Trials Wins, scaling with the number of Wins on a Ticket.

Trials Bounties

Along with Passages, players can also purchase three different Trials Bounties which will reward players for completing them: Weekly Bounties will reward XP, Glimmer, 35 Valor Rank Points, and 5 Trials Tokens; Daily Bounties will reward XP, 15 Valor Rank Points, and 2 Trials Tokens; and Additional Bounties will offer XP and 2 Trials Tokens.

Rewards

Players with 3, 5, or 7 wins on their Trials Passage will be granted a Weekly Challenge Trials Reward based on those wins which can all unlock on a single Passage. Once three losses appear on a Passage, wins will no longer count until the Passage is reset or a new one is purchased.

The following shows what rewards will be granted with each amount of wins on a Trials Passage: 

• 3 Wins - Powerful Gear (Tier II)
  • 5 Wins - Powerful Gear (Tier III)
  • 7 Wins - Pinnacle Gear

Going Flawless on a Trials Passage will grant players access to The Lighthouse, a reward space only available to players with a Flawless Passage. Players will get access to Pinnacle Gear from the Flawless Chest.

- Pinnacle Gear will be given once per week, per class.
- Once the Chest has been opened and players leave The Lighthouse, a new Flawless Passage will need to be completed to return.

Trials Engram

Players can turn in Trials Tokens to Saint-14 to increase their reputation and earn Trials Engrams. These Engrams will contain any piece of Trials gear that a player has previously earned. 

Any Trials Tokens that a player doesn’t spend will be removed when Trials ends on Tuesday at the weekly reset.

Trials Gear Glows

Players who go Flawless each week and have their Trials gear equipped will have a yellow glow that will appear, fading slowly after one week. To refresh the glow, players will need to go Flawless again.

Once a player goes Flawless, they will receive two unique Trials emblems that can further change their glow color:

Light_for_the_Lost.jpg

Light for the Lost

Trials Glow turns white when equipped

Lightmakers wear this emblem when carrying other players to the Lighthouse. 

Flawless_Empyrean.jpg

Flawless Empyrean

Trials Glow turns red when equipped

Lightbreakers wear this emblem when trying to block players from getting to the Lighthouse. 

Stat trackers can be added to these emblems to show the number of Lighthouse carries or Lighthouse shutdowns, respectively, or other Trials stats.

• Upvote 2

I had zero interest in trials before, and zero interest now.  That’s because I don’t fancy playing a stressful game mode.  However it sucks for those who do want to play it as Bungie keep making idiotic decisions.

You can only get armour by going flawless.  This week you can only get gloves.  It can roll with shitty stats like most armour in the game.  You can also only get three weapons this week (I think they drop at three, five and seven wins).  If you want the auto, shotgun or sniper then come back next week.  Any tokens you get during a run only gives you a chance of what you earnt before, if you are still waiting say for the rocket launcher it will never drop from tokens till it drops from the card.  There are no adept weapons.

It is a series of terrible design decisions.  Reused loot, having to come back and go flawless every week for the full armour set, the lighthouse maybe offering an ascendant shard if you are lucky.  I cannot help but put on my spinfoil hat again and think they have about three people working on the game now.  I mean out of the new stuff you can get right now, the hunter exotic is already disabled because there is a bug that causes infinite blocking.

There does not feel enough stuff here, the new PvE activity is more bounty grinding, only this time with a power level wall behind it for reasons best known to Bungie (new lost sectors and event are near the 1000 power level mark).  It is more running the same activities, for pretty much he same loot.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Moodmon said:

There does not feel enough stuff here, the new PvE activity is more bounty grinding, only this time with a power level wall behind it for reasons best known to Bungie (new lost sectors and event are near the 1000 power level mark).  It is more running the same activities, for pretty much he same loot.

This. I've not logged in yet but it seems the only thing you get for your £10 season pass is Legendary Lost Sectors? And the added season track?

That's some shoddy vfm even by Bungie's standard.

11 hours ago, Moodmon said:

I had zero interest in trials before, and zero interest now.  That’s because I don’t fancy playing a stressful game mode.  However it sucks for those who do want to play it as Bungie keep making idiotic decisions.

You can only get armour by going flawless.  This week you can only get gloves.  It can roll with shitty stats like most armour in the game.  You can also only get three weapons this week (I think they drop at three, five and seven wins).  If you want the auto, shotgun or sniper then come back next week.  Any tokens you get during a run only gives you a chance of what you earnt before, if you are still waiting say for the rocket launcher it will never drop from tokens till it drops from the card.  There are no adept weapons.

It is a series of terrible design decisions.  Reused loot, having to come back and go flawless every week for the full armour set, the lighthouse maybe offering an ascendant shard if you are lucky.  I cannot help but put on my spinfoil hat again and think they have about three people working on the game now.  I mean out of the new stuff you can get right now, the hunter exotic is already disabled because there is a bug that causes infinite blocking.

Whilst I agree with a lot of this, just thought it was worth mentioning that one of the community managers has confirmed that armour will drop some weeks at 3, 5, or 7 wins - it’s on rotation so not limited to flawless runs. 

Okay, so champions in the bunker aren't invincible after all. :P I was able to defeat them with Overload Rounds, but I guess any mod that talks about shield disruption will help. Originally I simply couldn't do enough damage to counter the regeneration, and my efforts continued until I ran out of ammo...

I genuinely think that they are lacking in direction and ideas without Activision and their studios. Unable to do anything other than re-use old assets and rehash existing gameplay ideas.

I think it’s symptomatic of a wider issue in the industry where DLC can’t be linked to gameplay because pay to win is bad but now the primary revenue of all these games is fundamentally tied to things that don’t actually affect the game. Early DLCs from Destiny were built around what new things you could do in the game. Now we’re in a place where they’ve got literally the whole remaining team on the meaningless cosmetics store and every season the gameplay is just a slight variation on the same horde mode.

Some build ideas utilising the Warmind Cells mechanic and seasonal mods:

Hunter:

Spoiler

7bafPQ2.png

Kk2J2fM.png

Titan:

Spoiler

vQpOW7A.png

pCed4Pa.png

Warlock:

Spoiler

bmWUb0a.png

• Upvote 2

On 14/03/2020 at 19:38, Marmite said:

Whilst I agree with a lot of this, just thought it was worth mentioning that one of the community managers has confirmed that armour will drop some weeks at 3, 5, or 7 wins - it’s on rotation so not limited to flawless runs. 

That does make it better.  Does highlight the woeful communication from Bungie again.  I can understand people moaning, without the clarification it would have looked like all the armour is flawless.  I still don't think it is a good look that depending on how the rotation falls you might have to play trials every single week to get a chance of the full armour set if you cannot go flawless.

I don't mind the idea of there being interesting builds like those above, or the charged with light builds from last season.  Problem here is you have to get the bunkers up to level 3 just to get a weapon, which is an awful lot of grinding.  Well, not like there is anything else PvE wise to do this season.

So everyone's going back up the slide if they fail to get enough momentum to jump into Rasputin and KO their guardian, right? Right? I can't decide whether it's as fun as the seraph tower event or better...

mEANJ4W.gif