rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep: the Undying Grind

Fuck the Dawning.

16 or 17 Essence per strike. You need over 3,500 to finish the whole thing.

That's over 200 strikes or 50 per week. I mean c'mon guys. Less of the grind.

Oh and what do you get? The Dawning bike. At least make it a pinnacle weapon!!

I did everything apart from the last part of that. After the Hallows event being really good fun with what seemed to me.like the right amount of grind this was a massive disappointment. But then ATM I'm finding it all a pointless grind.

The Obelisk/Sundial thing doesn't interest me in the slightest and the only thing I'm doing is grinding the curated weapon quests.

9 hours ago, Phelan said:

Fuck the Dawning.

16 or 17 Essence per strike. You need over 3,500 to finish the whole thing.

That's over 200 strikes or 50 per week. I mean c'mon guys. Less of the grind.

Oh and what do you get? The Dawning bike. At least make it a pinnacle weapon!!

You get some from the weekly quests, but yeah I think the last stage was meant for people who did some cookies last year.

The grind is starting to lose interest for me now. I still like logging on and having a good pew (especially with chums) but there's no reason to power increase etc (even slowly).

I really HATE that to do Sundial/Ordeal you have to take certain mods/gun types due to champions (or you could rely on other people....sureeeeeeeee). Worse choce ever

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

You get some from the weekly quests, but yeah I think the last stage was meant for people who did some cookies last year.

The grind is starting to lose interest for me now. I still like logging on and having a good pew (especially with chums) but there's no reason to power increase etc (even slowly).

This is where I am now, adding power every season and season-specific mods along with 6 RNG stats on each armour piece has killed my interest pretty dead. I don't want to be perma-grinding a good set of new armour and new guns every season just to keep up with the top level stuff, and doing the top level stuff feels like a chore anyway because I have no interest in heavy-grinding that extra 10 power to the Pinnacle cap anyway. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah, armour 2.0 at it's most basic is a good idea to keep people interested but rolling the right element and the rights stats is tedious as fuck. They should allow you to reroll the stats, or alter them for materials or something. 

Also, the transmog system is limited as shit. You should be able to make it look like any other armour that drops for you class. There's no reason not to except to sell ornaments, which people will buy if they want anyway.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, they could even keep the max power stat for the armour so there is something to chase, but let us determine where to put those points somehow. 

Also just have fewer points, given the stats have tiers making them out of 100 is pointless. Make them all out of 10, have armour roll 4,5 or 6 with Masterworking giving you an extra point to spend. It'd make chasing different sets much less daunting as well.

Armour 1.5 worked better IMO, it just needed some tweaking rather than the massive overhaul that 2.0 ended up being. 

• Upvote 1

In all honesty, getting everything done during The Dawning has been pretty easy while farming a decent Outlaw / Multikill Clip Breachlight via the Sundial and catching up on all the obelisk upgrades. It's proper brain-dead effort while watching some bullshit on Twitch.

The only way it would have been faster to cap the Season Pass would have been if I realised Team Scorched was basically Rocket Arena in Destiny 2 clothes at the start of that Crucible Week. It's proper fucking good, and I'm hoping it will come around again.

Still, at about level 95. I'm quite happy with my weapons, so I'll likely bin the game off until that Empyrean event happens. Hopefully smash that, the Bastion Quest and whatever Crimson Days brings all in one go.

Hi All! Just started playing this recently on PC and I am absolutely loving it!

Thanks for the write ups, and hope I get a chance to play with you guys soon!

Many thanks!

Adam

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

Hi All! Just started playing this recently on PC and I am absolutely loving it!

Thanks for the write ups, and hope I get a chance to play with you guys soon!

Many thanks!

Adam

I think these last few posts sum up where the game is right now for a lot of people. 

New players coming on board with the f2p version are loving it because there is so much to do and because, at its core, its a fucking brilliant game. 

A lot of vets though, me included, are bored to tears with the shopping list grind and chasing the same shit, different colour gear, trying to catch up every season only to have to start all over again, everything is Eververse stagnation it seems to be in.

I fell off in November, tried to get back into it around Christmas but couldn't muster the enthusiasm. 

I have no doubt I'll go back some time in the future of course, I always do. Bungie will find a way to pull me back in but more than likely it'll be Destiny 3 that does it now.   

• Upvote 5

I played about an hour of the new stuff one night last week and was bored to tears. New Light caters wonderfully to new players, and I guess the seasonal grind etc appeals to the daily hardcore. But there’s very little for people in between. I feel no incentive to play at all. 

• Upvote 3

Yeah, my OH is grinding out catalysts and other things like that, but I'm just gonna hit hundred and be done with it I think. I don't even know if I'll come back next season unless something drastic changes, which I'm not entirely sure will happen because there doesn't seem to be a casual end game. There's no point chasing light if you don't raid or do the rock hard nightfalls. It's all just a bit pointless for me.

• Upvote 1

Then Trials comes back and - ker-ching! - the next season pass is on. Full on. As is the return of a thousand lost souls bearing many dollar.

Better get farming for that god roll Beloved/Mindbender's, lads. Let that be your current endgame. Cos you're gonna need it.

I do hope they make some adjustments and find a nice middle ground. Reddit bitched about x exotic/godroll not dropping and demanded grinds for a guaranteed drop. Now they're bitching about the grind - gg, lads.

I couldn't even be arsed with grinding for Wendigo, for example, and just let it happen 'naturally'. I got it just after Shadowkeep launched. People were burning themselves out in the previous seasons grinding for pinnacles - at least back then the content was sort of semi-fresh.

The guaranteed raid exotic was a good shout, though. Shame they realised it was a bit fucked and fixed it anyway. It still has its uses, mind.

Also:

1 hour ago, Lyrical Donut said:

I couldn't even be arsed with grinding for Wendigo, for example, and just let it happen 'naturally'. I got it just after Shadowkeep launched. People were burning themselves out in the previous seasons grinding for pinnacles - at least back then the content was sort of semi-fresh.

That's fair, but if they make something obviously busted you know it'll be nerfed at some point so it's worth getting as soon as you're able. I'm not going to moan too much about Recluse because a) it was busted and b) I wouldn't have been able to get it pre-Shadowkeep if I'd actually tried, but it was quite deflating getting the thing, revelling in its brokenness for all of seven minutes and then it getting hit with a nerf. 

Dawning double XP bounties bounties, the extra weeklies from the obelisks and dailies from Saint 14 have made it stupidly easy to level up this season - I'm 240 on the season pass and done with everything bar glory for the Komodo and a million points for the strike emblem and shader, with maxed out obelisks and 10,000 fractaline in the bank for when the Empyrean Foundation rolls around, whatever that will be.

I can't be bothered with Sundial when it's easy to bang out a few Timelost weapon frames while doing your other bounties, so I'm just going to wait for the final boss to roll around and do LFG once for that and the Legend triumph for the title; fuck all the un-fun modifiers on that and Destiny's continued lack of in-game LFG (and loadout management - I just run one "good enough" build all season because it's a hassle to manually switch gear and particular mods over when moving between different activities which could benefit from a more specific build).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

I do hope they make some adjustments and find a nice middle ground. Reddit bitched about x exotic/godroll not dropping and demanded grinds for a guaranteed drop. Now they're bitching about the grind - gg, lads.

The guaranteed raid exotic was a good shout, though. Shame they realised it was a bit fucked and fixed it anyway. It still has its uses, mind.

I got Wendigo two days ago. Just let it slowly build anytime I took a grenade launcher into a strike. Didn't care when I got it.

1 hour ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

Dawning double XP bounties bounties, the extra weeklies from the obelisks and dailies from Saint 14 have made it stupidly easy to level up this season - I'm 240 on the season pass and done with everything bar glory for the Komodo and a million points for the strike emblem and shader, with maxed out obelisks and 10,000 fractaline in the bank for when the Empyrean Foundation rolls around, whatever that will be.

I can't be bothered with Sundial when it's easy to bang out a few Timelost weapon frames while doing your other bounties, so I'm just going to wait for the final boss to roll around and do LFG once for that and the Legend triumph for the title; fuck all the un-fun modifiers on that and Destiny's continued lack of in-game LFG (and loadout management - I just run one "good enough" build all season because it's a hassle to manually switch gear and particular mods over when moving between different activities which could benefit from a more specific build).

240!?!?!?!

I'm at 51 and I thought I was doing well. Holy fuck!! I was speaking to a guy in my clan who had baked 1,200 cookies and I was like 'dude, go outside'.

I’m done for now I think. I find that I log on, get bounties, do bounties (often playing activities I don’t like with guns I don’t want to use), then finish them and decide I can’t be arsed to do anything else. All the pinnacle and exotic quests are so fucking long and boring, generally requiring repeating the same activity with the same weapon for days. Hopefully I’ll get lucky and get the right bounties to speed it up. But I’m not really chasing anything. Most of the exotic quests I have left are trapped on some step that requires an activity with no matchmaking. And even then, I don’t think I want the stuff they drop anymore. I’ve got so much shit, and there’s fucking pages of it but I can’t remember what any of it is, or if I should keep it. There’s so many fucking currencies. I miss Hawkmoon and the Cosmodrome. 

1 hour ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

fuck all the un-fun modifiers on that and Destiny's continued lack of in-game LFG (and loadout management - I just run one "good enough" build all season because it's a hassle to manually switch gear and particular mods over when moving between different activities which could benefit from a more specific build).

This is absolutely spot on. The game seems to think I’ll have multiple sets of armour and weapons, each specified to activities. But changing armour and mods is an absolute pisstake, and the resources to upgrade armour aren’t anywhere near abundant enough for me to have multiple ones, so I just end up making a character who is ok at everything. Which means I can’t try out specific cool builds and have to accept I’m always kind of sub-optimal in everything. Then the bounties and powerful rewards make me equip specific weapons and subclasses that don’t work with my chosen mods. Am I supposed to have sets for each subclass and each activity, like nine sets for each character? Which two do you masterwork? It’s just all pointless and bland, everything feels basic and underpowered and kind of ok.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

There's another community quest in progress at the moment. Osiris has had a quest since Tuesday which has sent streamers into overdrive. 

Seems a bit like Niobe labs but without the combat. This'll hopefully explain it far better than I can;

I think at the moment you can get an emblem and up to 19 new lore entries by running the different routes. Odds are that the final reward will be an exotic sword... :blink:

Gladd just finished it! :) He's got another quest and has to go see Saint-14 in the Tower...

Edit- Seems it gets you the exotic Fusion Rifle Bastion. Meh.

The look on streamers' faces as they pick up the exotic which was on the season roadmap for the 28th a week early, after pulling day-plus-long shifts taking screenshots and entering stuff into spreadsheets for an entire week (null) (Apart from the few who made baaaank on subscriptions and donations).

2 hours ago, tnman said:

Gladd just finished it! :) He's got another quest and has to go see Saint-14 in the Tower...

Bastion is needed for the title right?

Is it hard/long to do?

2 hours ago, tnman said:

:facepalm:

Oh Bungo... 

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

Is it hard/long to do?

Follow the route through the corridors, listen to a speech about how ellish you are, speak to Saint, kill some Fallen on the Tangled Shore, speak to Spider, off a bloke in a nightclub, talk to Spider again, do 10 Spider bounties, 8 public events, kill 30 challenging enemies (all on the Tangled Shore)… haven’t got past that bit yet.

1 minute ago, Gorf King said:

Follow the route through the corridors, listen to a speech about how ellish you are, speak to Saint, kill some Fallen on the Tangled Shore, speak to Spider, off a bloke in a nightclub, talk to Spider again, do 10 Spider bounties, 8 public events, kill 30 challenging enemies (all on the Tangled Shore)… haven’t got past that bit yet.

Oh I thought it was all the tunnels puzzles and personal puzzles.

Cheers

6 hours ago, Hexx said:

Oh I thought it was all the tunnels puzzles and personal puzzles.

Cheers

... and then there's an extra bit that's equally easy, then you get the reward.

Btw, in case you don't know: the reward's in the roadmap anyway and the quest to get it will be released (without having to do the corridors bit at all) next week. So don't bother doing the corridors bit if all you're after is the quest/reward*. Apparently they put the quest in the roadmap for general release at a later date just as a backstop in case the corridor puzzle wasn't cracked by then. Not quite the lesson I wished they'd learned from the Niobe Labs foulup, but eh... never mind.

* Though you could still do the other 20 routes through the corridors for the lore entries and the emblem, if you want them. Aha.

So @pixelcult and I finally cleared the Chasm of Screams the other day ^_^ We did know of exploit-y type things where one player could hide safely and protect against a team wipe, but getting everything to come together consistently was the challenge. (Also I've been enjoying Hard Light recently and it's hugely helpful for all of those elemental shields...) Anyway, Thorn get!

• Upvote 1