rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep: the Undying Grind

Yeah, it was fine right at launch, but it was obviosuly getting worse and worse as the day went on. Don't blame them for taking it down completely, whatever helps them get it to a stable point. 

Managed to get to around 800 or so light in the meantime. The moon feels much more like a place of open warfare than it did before, really digging it. 

I totally get why they went for the big splash — Steam, F2P and Shadowkeep in one day — but this was always the risk. You have to be damn sure you can cope before you commit to something like this. 

Launch day is so important. Soon as the headlines start hitting you start losing players, you lose control of coverage, you lose control of perception. Top story on eurogamer right now? Bungie takes Destiny offline. Bad look. 

I think launching New Light a week (or six!) early would have helped. Would at least have given them an indication of the numbers they’d be dealing with on Shadowkeep day, and also gives F2P players a chance to fall in love with the game and maybe pony up for the new stuff. But I get why they went the other way. They’re newly independent and confident and wanted to make a statement. 

I got a couple of really good Slay The Spire runs in so I’m over it. 

I hope it’s all sorted by the morning. 

I think even just New Light by itself would have killed the servers to be honest. Companies are never ready for the server load and a big game like Destiny going free to start? They never had a chance :)

Got in this morning, went through the new strike and a story mission, up to about 800 light. Got a new Catalyst, mind:

Spoiler

It's for Cerberus+1. Looking at the description, it gives the gun a Lord of Wolves/Borealis/Hard Light reload toggle to a tighter spread but reduces the range. OOF

I'm surprised I even got in three hours of playtime last night, TBH - I think Steam's unpacking process saved the community from effectively DDoSing Bungie's login servers.

Another bonus from going to Steam: You can change your display name and it will change in Destiny, as well. This will absolutely not be prone to abuse.

Spoiler

image.png.9f0fed36b595ed5a18e48fa39afbe976.png

10 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Do you use a shared account or buy the expansion on a different account?

Bought it on her account as we have game sharing . When forsaken came out there was some xbox store fuckery which meant I couldn't buy it at all, it just said unavailable. I assumed she'd have to buy Shadowkeep because of all this flannel we've had before. 

I expect the content passes to work across both accounts, but I don't think season passes on Fortnite (for example) work across accounts, you have to buy one each so I expect it to be the same on here.

I've got the preorder bonuses and whatnot. I could contact Xbox support and say she meant to buy it as a gift and can the transfer the license.

Bought it on her account as we have game sharing . When forsaken came out there was some xbox store fuckery which meant I couldn't buy it at all, it just said unavailable. I assumed she'd have to buy Shadowkeep because of all this flannel we've had before. 

I expect the content passes to work across both accounts, but I don't think season passes on Fortnite (for example) work across accounts, you have to buy one each so I expect it to be the same on here.

I've got the preorder bonuses and whatnot. I could Try and contact Xbox support and say she meant to buy it as a gift and can the transfer the license.

I've got the preorder bonuses and whatnot. I could Try and contact Xbox support and say she meant to buy it as a gift and can the transfer the license.

Yeah, that'll be it. I have the same shenanigans with trying to keep my kids looped in with all their battle passes and game passes and skins, its a minefield. 

I have a weird bug though. 

Anybody else seemingly had the Forsaken campaign reset? I've got a waypoint for the Last Call (the first) mission and all the chests have reset in the Tangled Shore and Dreaming City?
They said it would be reset for anybody who didnt complete it but I did everything on all characters. Seems like a bug, anybody else?

I got in after about a 20 minute wait (about 6:30) and started on one of the quests you get from the tower, doing a lost sector on the EDZ and then a Heroic event and... feels about the same to me? Trackless Waste (SMG) felt better and snipers feel a bit more powerful but scouts don't seem any better :(

I didn't get SK since I'm mostly PVE and didn't think it was worth it, but regardless I didn't get the impression there were swathes of changes to the sandbox. Might need more play but I'm a bit underwhelmed.

Got an Armour 2.0 piece and I like the changes there? And the updates to the weapon upgrade systems seem good, being able to plug in a mod for a bit of glimmer and not lose the mod is great.

Maybe I'm just a bit bored of the game, but I don't really feel like diving back in.

Does this game have any worth whatsoever to someone who is only interested in single player content?

Not interested in anything to do with multiplayer.

7 minutes ago, MpM said:

Does this game have any worth whatsoever to someone who is only interested in single player content?

Yes

Depends what you mean by 'multiplayer'. It's an always online shared world so you'll see other players roaming about and you can choose to team up in matchmade activities if you so choose.

Loads of people play solo and get hundreds of hours out of it and you don't need to touch the PvP element at all if you don't want to. You will miss out on the pinnacle activities though if you don't want to play any co-op with people either. 

If you like shooters and/or action games then there's no reason not to give it a go.

3 minutes ago, MpM said:

There's a huge amount of stuff that can be played solo, including the excellent campaigns, and it's all great fun. You'll still run into other players in the open areas and the hubs, and you'll naturally end up fighting alongside them at certain points, but you're never forced to actually group up.

Some content is multiplayer only though. Strikes, Raids and PvP stuff will matchmake you with other players, but again you're never forced into any of them.

8 minutes ago, MpM said:

There's the main campaign (Red War), as well as the campaigns from Curse or Osiris and Warmind, which all together must be about a dozen hours of content.

So yeah, for free, there's more than enough.

You start with nothing and the game, really, is picking up newer and better stuff over time and improving your character.

1 hour ago, Siri said:

Got in this morning, went through the new strike and a story mission, up to about 800 light. Got a new Catalyst, mind:

Reveal hidden contents

It's for Cerberus+1. Looking at the description, it gives the gun a Lord of Wolves/Borealis/Hard Light reload toggle to a tighter spread but reduces the range. OOF

I'm surprised I even got in three hours of playtime last night, TBH - I think Steam's unpacking process saved the community from effectively DDoSing Bungie's login servers.

Another bonus from going to Steam: You can change your display name and it will change in Destiny, as well. This will absolutely not be prone to abuse.

Hide contents

image.png.9f0fed36b595ed5a18e48fa39afbe976.png

You could change your name on Bnet too. I remember Bakengangsta or some other streamer/youtuber changing their name to Shin Malphur and using The Last Word to kill everyone in Gambit and Crucible. You had to pay to change it though.

Urgh I do the account sharing thing too and can't seem to activate the season pass on my account when it's been activated on another. 

What's worse is that you have to then go buy their digital currency to buy the pass rather than stump up real money for it. I'm sick of virtual currency being a middle man in such purchase. It's fucking ridiculous spending real to convert in to Destiny dollars to then make a purchase in-game that comes out of my own wallet. 

56 minutes ago, MpM said:

I've played it almost entirely solo since the base game launched, and I've got 100+ hours of entertainment out of it, it's brilliant.

For a long time as well I was only playing the story-driven stuff and none of the side-game horde mode variations or PvP stuff, and the three story campaigns you get with the F2P version are great fun in their own right.

11 minutes ago, PK said:

I've played it almost entirely solo since the base game launched, and I've got 100+ hours of entertainment out of it, it's brilliant.

For a long time as well I was only playing the story-driven stuff and none of the side-game horde mode variations or PvP stuff, and the three story campaigns you get with the F2P version are great fun in their own right.

Thanks for that and everyone else who replied. My multiplayer days stopped at Battlefield 4, TBH. The whole business got far too complicated after that so now I'm purely single player content only.

I now leave the rest of it for the young'ns, who understand it all. :)

Nightfall: The Ordeal has matchmaking, even though the director doesn't state it. It counts towards a quest that requires you to complete a nightfall too.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, auntyclimax said:

If I buy Shadowkeep on PS4, does the content become available across all platforms?

No. It’s cross save, not cross buy. 

24 minutes ago, Hexx said:

What does the Unstable Essence buff actually do? :lol:

Think you do more damage to Nightmares with it. 

Edit - actually, it might be a buff v "Unstoppable" enemies. 

So I’ve not played this since the end of year 1. We were making our way through the raid and just kind of dropped off. 

having just turned it back on, and not owning any of the new stuff, it’s basically just a mess of icons. Any hints as to where I should be going and what I should be doing? What’s fun? 

Think I’m nearing the end of the ‘basic’ campaign 

Not a patch on Foresaken in terms on engagement but will have to see how it opens up afterwards 

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Way too much nostalgia. Could barely aim on the final mission because my eyes were rolling. Good fun ofc.

This likely means I'll enjoy it a lot. :P

Yeah, I've been torn between 'oooh, its the moon' and getting all the feels and 'yeah, I've kind of seen all this before'. Enjoying it a lot and the moon is an awesome space but agree does seem a bit thin on content at the moment. See how it pans out, there's still a load to learn about armour builds and how the crafting thingy works. I'm trying to be a little less neurotic about power leveling this time, just chucking on the blues as they drop and seeing where I end up.

Still a bit annoyed that the Forsaken campaign seems to have reset for some bizarre reason. 

Yeah people can easily fall in the ‘cheap rehash’ viewpoint rather than nostalgia 

Every nightmare boss having the same shield mechanic is getting a little thin