rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep: the Undying Grind

Yes, you can transfer characters from PS4 to PC (or vice versa etc). Free version comes out on October 1 alongside Shadowkeep, it'll have a tonne of stuff though obviously if you want the real progression game you'll need to buy the new stuff. There's a good couple of months' worth of stuff in there though.

Made the switch to PC last night. Only got about half an hour in before the servers shat the bed but my word, those frames are nice.

I think (but haven't looked it up) that everything pre-Forsaken goes Free when Shadowkeep comes out. So I think you'd get the new locations to run round in patrol, and the new Strikes, but you won't get the campaign, the Exotic weapons, the endgame stuff (Raids.) I assume you also don't get access to things like the Foundries etc in the Annual Pass, but don't know.

Is the annual pass like a season pass? This sounds like a bit of a mess. How many things will there be to buy when Shadowkeep comes out? Just that or that and a pass I guess. Is shadowkeep the standard £40 fee to keep playing Destiny?

Shadowkeep is £30 for normal, £50 for deluxe which has the next annual pass included.

If you want to get fully up to date then the Forsaken bundle on bnet (I assume you're on PC?) is £35 which includes the last expansion (Forsaken) and the prior annual pass. If you don't want either of those then New Light will give you everything up to Forsaken and the annual pass, including all the strikes (regardless of where they're from) crucible, both Gambit and Gambit Prime (not Reckoning) and the patrol zones from all the worlds including Forsaken and Shadowkeep stuff.

They surely are going to offer a package that bundles Shadowkeep with the Forsaken stuff - they always have previously.  Complicated I guess by the Free to play version offering almost everything but not quite everything from D2 to date?

I dunno I'm coming over from PS4 to PC - I got my monies worth from Forsaken's content but didn't do the Annual Pass so seems pointless to pay for D2 now when I can bring my character over for free in October and play the expansion and I've played most of Forsaken already.  I'd like to get started now and have a play with the current season stuff but I'm not paying £35 for that and then another £50 in October when I've already paid for 90% of it once on another format.

Kind of feels like they should have gone cross licence with the transfer facility - would have gained them a lot of good will.

So....sorry....currently I’ve got a 750 Hunter on PS4,  if I wanted to start a Warlock on PC (but with Cross Save enabled) could I just play New Light on PC and share my paid for loot through the vault from things like Forges/Drifter/Opulence?  I guess it’s a no, assume I’d need to buy Forsaken/Y2 pass on Steam? 

Any gear you earned would be viable to be transferred yes. As long as you linked the accounts.

You'll have to wait until it launches on Steam (unless you picked it up on PC when it was free on Bnet) link the accounts (making the PS4 the main) enable cross save and then everything would be hunky dorey.

Am I right in thinking if I want to cross play the Forsaken campaign content on my PC and Xbox, I have to buy Forsaken again for Xbox?

And if I play the xbox version for anything other than cruicible or gambit then I'm limited to year 1 campaign content?

It's weird to be thinking about going back to Destiny 2. I never finished Forsaken or checked out any of the other year 2 content other than an afternoon playing gambit.

29 minutes ago, matt0 said:

Am I right in thinking if I want to cross play the Forsaken campaign content on my PC and Xbox, I have to buy Forsaken again for Xbox?

And if I play the xbox version for anything other than cruicible or gambit then I'm limited to year 1 campaign content?

It's weird to be thinking about going back to Destiny 2. I never finished Forsaken or checked out any of the other year 2 content other than an afternoon playing gambit.

Yeah, you have to buy a copy for each format you want to play on up to shadow keep after they release the free content.

Edit: I mangled this, let me try again. After the free content is release you'd have to buy Shadow Keep for each format. I don't know what effect of owning shadow keep on one format and not the other would be.

• Upvote 1

Hmm...

Does anyone know if the year one power level caps still apply if you don't buy Forsaken or Shadowkeep? Basically, can I make any meaningful progress playing Cruicible and Gambit on the free version on the Xbox?

When Shadowkeep comes out, everything in your inventory or vault or whatever all gets boosted to 750 across the board. Not sure then what/if you can progress to if you don't buy anything.

If you buy content on one platform and not another, you can access your gained loot on the not-bought platform, but you won't be able to get better drops or run that content on that platform.

• Upvote 1

On 22/08/2019 at 12:41, Broker said:

Is the annual pass like a season pass? This sounds like a bit of a mess. How many things will there be to buy when Shadowkeep comes out? Just that or that and a pass I guess. Is shadowkeep the standard £40 fee to keep playing Destiny?

I think the "annual pass" gives you exclusive content to enjoy as that content is rolled out over the months. For example, here's the content calendar that was provided as Forsaken launched:

destiny-2-map.jpg

Everyone got some or all of the stuff at the top (depending on if they had Forsaken); annual pass holders get everything in that image.

19 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

They surely are going to offer a package that bundles Shadowkeep with the Forsaken stuff - they always have previously.  Complicated I guess by the Free to play version offering almost everything but not quite everything from D2 to date?

I dunno I'm coming over from PS4 to PC - I got my monies worth from Forsaken's content but didn't do the Annual Pass so seems pointless to pay for D2 now when I can bring my character over for free in October and play the expansion and I've played most of Forsaken already.  I'd like to get started now and have a play with the current season stuff but I'm not paying £35 for that and then another £50 in October when I've already paid for 90% of it once on another format.

Kind of feels like they should have gone cross licence with the transfer facility - would have gained them a lot of good will.

Annual Pass is £12.99 on battle.net at the moment. If you're exclusively PC now you could go with that and you'd have everything to date. Like you say, bit late to be blitzing through the whole lot but you'd have the Scourge of the Past and Crown of Sorrow raids, Black Armory and Menagerie content, all of which was excellent and wielded some nice weaponry, including exotics. Not sure if the likes of La Monarque and Jotunn are being added to the wider loot pool.

Probably being cheeky asking this, but does anyone have a spare code or whatever it was from one of those Humble Bundle deals by any chance please?

I'm hoping some of the Crucible improvements they had in the Director Cut work, as I'm trying some of the PvP quests and it really needs some attention. People quiting competitive matches if their team loses the first round is happening so often. It isn't even fun when you are on the team with 4 as most of the time the other team just give up, so its just running down the clock. Is there no penalty other than losing the glory as usual unless you do it excessively? Whatever they have clearly isn't enough.

The cross play, expansions, free version and annual pass stuff all seems like a bit of a mess, is it going to be streamlined when the free version is released? 

I would be amazed if it wasn't. The problem right now is that the game is caught in licensing limbo between Activision and Bungie as an independent publisher. The fact that they can't even mention what the availability of Forsaken, currently an Activision product, will be after October 1st speaks volumes.

It's a little messy, but not if you're willing to spend some money now. If you want everything, buy the Forsaken bundle on Battle.net, and then pre-order Shadowkeep (with or without the additional season pass) on Steam. That covers the lot for now.

Luke Smith's now explicitly set out what you get from the Shadowkeep expansion/Season of the Undying if you're just playing New Light, i.e. not paying a bean:

All Destiny 2 players, whether you’re coming in with New Light or are all-in on Shadowkeep and Season of the Undying, will have access to the following:

• Patrolling the Moon destination
  • The opening mission of Shadowkeep  
  • Two new strikes
  • Crucible Updates
  • Two returning PvP maps from the D1 era—Widow’s Court and Twilight Gap
  • Elimination in Crucible Labs
  • Armor 2.0 build customization
  • Eye of the Gate Lord Seasonal Artifact
  • New finishers
  • Two new pinnacle weapons: one for Gambit and one for Crucible
  • Free Seasonal Rank rewards, which include:
    • New Exotic weapon—Eriana’s Vow
    • Three Legendary armor sets (1 per class)
    • Two Legendary weapons
    • Best of Year 2 Bright Engrams 
    • Glimmer and upgrade modules

The Legendary armor and weapons that come with the free Seasonal Ranks are like sampler platters for the Season Pass. If you want to find the best stat rolls for that armor, you will need to play the Seasonal activity and get the drops. But players who just want to collect all of the armor can earn the base version from the free track.

Eriana’s Vow, the new Exotic on our Seasonal track also drops on the free track (but you get it earlier if you have the Season Pass). We have also added a lot of rewards on the free track that are nice quality-of-life rewards for players, like upgrade modules, which are free Infusions.

There's a lot more detail in there about how the seasons operate, including seasonal xp progression, seasonal artefacts, seasonal ranks, how rewards drop, etc.

• Upvote 1

Mixed feelings about the 'battle pass'. Having an exotic at the start seems to devalue them, and then there's the risk they split this off later and start charging extra for it. I'm all for them letting people pick and choose what seasons etc they want to take part in, but don't want it so fragmented they hide overall costs going up.

There are so many quests for exotics and pinancle weapons and one-off challenges that I would expect a battle pass would get lost in the noise. There's too much to do in this damn game anyway, it's become a bit overwhelming.

• Upvote 1

I think this battle pass thing is a lot more trivial to the experience the long time players will have and it's clearly been introduced to appeal to the players coming in to the F2P version, i.e. - kids who have played Fortnite.

I've watched my kids obsess over Fornite for  the last 4 or 5 seasons and to them, the battle pass IS the game. Getting skins, seeing that progress over the 3 months and then have everything reset and change for the next season is normal to them. In-game progression doesn't exist in Fortnite, it's all about the cosmetics and this is Bungie's attempt to breed some of that familiarity in to the game. No idea if it will work though, as K says, everything else about the game is still fairly confusing to new players compared to the boot up and jump in nature of BR games.

For the Destiny nerds, it's business as usual, we'll all be raiding, doing nightfalls, crucible etc and getting the rng drops and stressing out about perks and stats. All that changes is we get predetermined drops at every XP rank rather than random engrams. It's similar to the record book thing that came with Rise of Iron. 

Anyone playing competitive crucible on PS4? I'm stuck back and forth between Heroic 1 and 2 trying to get to Fabled but failing to get any steaks going.

17 hours ago, pledge said:

Anyone playing competitive crucible on PS4? I'm stuck back and forth between Heroic 1 and 2 trying to get to Fabled but failing to get any steaks going.

If you see me around then ping me an invite.  I've soloed the competitive stuff for this season but am happy to jump in to help tip the odds with some co-ordination.

• Upvote 1

The Mars Community Challenge begins today, asking players to contribute to the below objectives:

Destiny 2 September 3 Community Objectives

• Defeat 175'000 Wave 7 Escalation Protocol bosses
  • Defeat 300'000'000 Hive on Mars
  • Defeat Nokris 150'000 times in Mars Nightfalls
  • Defeat Xol 100'000 times in Mars Nightfalls
  • Use 300'000 Override Frequencies

Completing these apparently gets you challenge rewards such as an emblem and increased menagerie rewards...