Jump to content
rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep: the Undying Grind

Recommended Posts

Has anyone completed the Solstice yet? I've done the drained armour and just seen the next steps, and it just seems like such a boring grind. None of them are interesting at all, just do even more strikes wearing this armour etc.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've finished it on my Titan, and can now say that the solstice packages are a massive waste of time once you get the purple set. I've opened well over 30-40 of them, and the drop rate of random rolled solstice armour is pitiful. This, coupled with people leaving the EAZ once the minibosses are killed (due to the 100 minibosses needed on the blue set :facepalm:), makes it pretty pointless to try for better rolls/perks on the armour at present.

 

At the moment I'd get the purple set, masterwork the one piece, and then vault it. Its worthless without decent perks until Shadowkeep when we get the 2.0 armour version of it. Hopefully Bungie has the data on the 2 issues above and will do something about them. Reddit also has a fair few topics on these 2 issues, so lets hope so.

 

I'm a bit miffed as I like the look of the armour, but its just unuseable due to duff rolls/perks :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

This, coupled with people leaving the EAZ once the minibosses are killed (due to the 100 minibosses needed on the blue set :facepalm:),

 

I've just realised this is 100 personally, not the fireteam. The EAZ is nice enough, but nothing about this quest is fun. I'm disliking the game more and more (and myself for continuing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pledge said:

 

I've just realised this is 100 personally, not the fireteam. The EAZ is nice enough, but nothing about this quest is fun. I'm disliking the game more and more (and myself for continuing).

As long as you do some damage to the miniboss it will count, so its not total doom and gloom. Just very, very close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, markh said:

This does not sound like the kind of content I would enjoy.

I dont think its the kind of content most players would enjoy to be fair. Reddit is having a field day over the grindiness/repetitiveness of Solstice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

I dont think its the kind of content most players would enjoy to be fair. Reddit is having a field day over the grindiness/repetitiveness of Solstice.

 

I think they've overdone it again, as they have done for Mountaintop and Wendigo (and Loaded Question before with it's 40 Strikes :s) I suppose the idea is that you take your time and don't grind so hard, but they should be used to the fact that there's a hardcore base who will want to do that by now!

 

They are looking at the first two , which is a positive sign, but they need to dial it down a little from the offset. The grind should be the quest for the best rolls, not actually getting the damn armour. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/08/2019 at 18:02, redbloodcel said:

 

What are you playing on? Sometimes it loses the licenses and you need to download them again. 

PS4. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also finished my Titan set yesterday. For me, the whole thing wasn't too bad, mainly because I hadn't touched the game in a while, and getting the armor set complete was a guaranteed 750 drop across the board. So I went from round 690 to 747 in the space of a week or so - just need to prioritise a few weapon quests now to close the gap.

 

That, coupled with the fact that I had a bunch of Exotic Quests waiting for me (Bad Juju, Outbreak, Truth, even Thorn), plus Pinnacle weapons, made the grind a lot more bearable. I really do believe that this is a game best played after having stepped away from it for a decent length of time. The idea of trying to do everything, every season, when all that means if having to grind Forges, or Gambit, over and over just to get something resembling new content just seems exhausting.

 

Also, if anyone from the clan needs help Masterworking the armor set for the 'run Strikes with clanmates' objectives, let me know. For I too am on that train.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. I recently started some secondary characters and doing this as part of just getting them to level 50 is more bearable. I think if it had just been doing one set rather uncommon and then rare it wouldn't have been that bad - but my reaction seeing that it is the exact same things repeated with higher values (maybe with element changed) was just ugh.

 

14 minutes ago, lewismistreated said:

Also, if anyone from the clan needs help Masterworking the armor set for the 'run Strikes with clanmates' objectives, let me know. For I too am on that train.

 

I will, but I'm a couple of days away from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think part of the problem is that many of the player base is trying to do a month-long set of objectives in [less than] a week.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first thought was that this kind of grind is just laziness in lieu of putting some kind of meaningful challenges in, but maybe that's a bit harsh. I definitely think it's had the very bare minimum effort put into it because the likelihood is that Shadow Keep is all but done (or they're crunching away on it) and the lions share of resources is taken up with Destiny 3* as Shadow Keep seems to be less Taken King and more Rise of Iron.

As for this event you've got the people that pretty much play this and nothing else seeing the challenges as an absolute grind because (as tnman said) it's supposed to take a month to do. Then you've got the casuals who look at the numbers and go "pft, fuck that shit." and just cannot be arsed. Then there's idiots like me who are invested in the ludicrous GaaS grind of multiple games and then have a minor meltdown and something has to give. I tried to do the limited time grind with Destiny 2, Warframe, Forza Horizon 4 and it's sending me fucking nuts, so I've fallen back on single player games because playing that many games is untenable. 

 

Sorry, slight digression there.. Anyway, I think the thing we can take away from this event is it's just generally not very good. They could have gated the progression behind weekly resets or whatever but then you'd still have people moaning they can't go further than the weekly reset lets them and the other people moaning they don't have time to do the challenges in a week. 


*This is going to be an interesting conversation when it happens, and I think it will happen after talking about it to @Tetchy yesterday. The question is will it be hobbled because of cross generation limitations or are they going to be the first company to take advantage of the streaming future with platforms like Stadia and whatever Microsoft and Sony come up with to deal with the technological and hardware limitations that all brings?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

My first thought was that this kind of grind is just laziness in lieu of putting some kind of meaningful challenges in, but maybe that's a bit harsh. I definitely think it's had the very bare minimum effort put into it because the likelihood is that Shadow Keep is all but done (or they're crunching away on it) and the lions share of resources is taken up with Destiny 3* as Shadow Keep seems to be less Taken King and more Rise of Iron.

As for this event you've got the people that pretty much play this and nothing else seeing the challenges as an absolute grind because (as tnman said) it's supposed to take a month to do. Then you've got the casuals who look at the numbers and go "pft, fuck that shit." and just cannot be arsed. Then there's idiots like me who are invested in the ludicrous GaaS grind of multiple games and then have a minor meltdown and something has to give. I tried to do the limited time grind with Destiny 2, Warframe, Forza Horizon 4 and it's sending me fucking nuts, so I've fallen back on single player games because playing that many games is untenable. 

 

Sorry, slight digression there.. Anyway, I think the thing we can take away from this event is it's just generally not very good. They could have gated the progression behind weekly resets or whatever but then you'd still have people moaning they can't go further than the weekly reset lets them and the other people moaning they don't have time to do the challenges in a week. 

 

I think the conclusion I'd draw from what you've said is that whatever they do, some group's going to moan. If they put meaningful challenges in, someone's going to complain that they're too challenging, or complain that they're not challenging enough. Or if it's a grind people will say it's too grindy, or it's not grindy enough, or that the tasks are too quick to finish or that they take too long. That the armour is too weak, or that it is OP and makes other armour pointless.

 

I'm not much of one for grinding a lot to no particular end other than getting all the stuffs, cos your OCD tells you you need to have all the stuffs, so I haven't even bothered to pick up the starting set or go into the EAZ at all. I'll grind to level up and get gear if it's for something interesting at the end - like a raid or whatever - but that's about it. Obviously I'll also play through content that levels you up if it's inherently fun and doesn't get dull, and/or it has amazing rewards. But doing stuff you aren't that keen on just to get stuff that's not going to be significantly different to what you get after the next DLC drops (i.e. armour 2.0) is pointless unless there's some unique quality to the rewards - like, if you think this armour is the best looking thing you'll ever get and you value that. In which case, go for it. But personally I don't think it looks all that and functionally, if I do play beyond the Shadowkeep release there'll be stuff that's just as functional there; and if I don't play Shadowkeep, then why do I need this 2.0 shit anyway?

 

I agree the whole thing looks far too grindy for no great reason, but one of the nice things about Destiny right now is there are lots of things to do that aren't, and are unique and challenging. The raids, doing all the 'hidden' quests for Outbreak etc, and all the other end game stuff, which doesn't require any of the stuff we're talking about here. There are lots of different ways to play and enjoy the content, and finally there's enough content to satisfy a variety of needs without it feeling too thinly-distributed. So you cater for your gotta catch em all collectible grinders, your raid/challenge types, people who just want to log in and do some casual shooting, and your competitive PvP people (lol that last one's a joke, sorry - but I hear a rumour they're bringing Trials back, honest). So, yeah, I am in the camp that doesn't see much point (to me) in the Solstice armour stuff, and there are certainly a few tweaks they could make to the mechanics (e.g. the sub-boss kills), but I can see the point in it to some people and, speaking of some other games you've mentioned there, it is for example nowhere near as grindy as something like Warframe. Like, not even in the same universe of grind.

 

In other words, yeah, it doesn't really suit me either. But there's been enough in this expansion that it's still been well worth playing and consequently it's been worth the dosh. I think Bungie are doing a reasonable job of keeping the various factions of player entertained for reasonable spans of time - certainly more than their previous expansion model did - and even for relatively non-grinders like me, there's always something on the horizon that you think 'wow that looks like it'll be right up my street' and so you keep coming back for more from time to time. Even if you only played your preferred 50% of the last content, and for 25% of time that others might have, you feel you've had a good experience and got your money's worth regardless of the 50% you didn't bother with. Then, like you, you log off and go do something else until the next stuff comes out that you like the look of. And in the new delivery model, you might even skip a whole season entirely because it doesn't appeal.

 

That seems like a good model to me. And if it works, and the free-to-play + buy whichever modules you want model works and gets the numbers well up this Autumn, I can see them not bothering with Destiny 3 for a good long while, if at all. Obviously, if it doesn't get those numbers as high as they hope and player engagement disappoints, then maybe they'll have to rethink. But at present I think they hope they can keep building on all this, and continue to offer new players an easy ladder up into the game at any point, so a reboot is unnecessary. I hope they succeed in that, but I think a downside of it is that not all of the content is going to appeal to most players. The upside is that it's easier than ever just to take a break when the content isn't really what you're after, and buy into the stuff that is when it comes along later, without any real penalty.

 

(Of course, what they're actually going to do is simply make every DLC drop have bits that cover each group's interests, so you have to buy all the fucking things, the fuckers.)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2019 at 17:53, lewismistreated said:

Also, if anyone from the clan needs help Masterworking the armor set for the 'run Strikes with clanmates' objectives, let me know. For I too am on that train.

 

Did you finish this alredy? I've completed one set of armour so onto this. I also need help on a couple of basic exotics like Rat King that I missed if anyone can help.

 

The minibosses wasn't actually that bad, for me it was the 1500 orbs as they vanish so fast. I kept checking it as I was near the limit and I'm sure it wasn't counting everything I picked up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/48049

 

Quote

For next week’s hotfix, we re-evaluated the objective requirements for unlocking the Majestic Solstice armor sets. Specifically among these objectives, we believe the 100 Mini Boss challenge has the most room for improvement. Here are the changes we’re making:

 

This objective is being scaled down from 100 Mini Bosses defeated to 50
Completing the final boss round contributes an additional 5 points of progress

 

If you’ve already earned points toward this objective, you’ll find your progress intact once Hotfix 2.5.2.1 is deployed. Happy hunting.

 

Sympathies to anyone who recently defeated their 100th miniboss... ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pledge said:

 

Did you finish this alredy? I've completed one set of armour so onto this. I also need help on a couple of basic exotics like Rat King that I missed if anyone can help.

 

The minibosses wasn't actually that bad, for me it was the 1500 orbs as they vanish so fast. I kept checking it as I was near the limit and I'm sure it wasn't counting everything I picked up.

 

Nope, still need to do it. I also need to do a few Exotic Quest things - should be around over the weekend. Am lewismistreated1 on PSN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, lewismistreated said:

 

Nope, still need to do it. I also need to do a few Exotic Quest things - should be around over the weekend. Am lewismistreated1 on PSN.

Great I've added you. I'll be on and off as well. PM me if you don't see me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright I have Titan and Hunter Solstice Armour on Majestic (no fucking idea how I'm going to get 200K on a Nightfall!!) and onto my blues with my Warlock.

 

I had a week off last week and watched movies and shows on my iPad Pro while I plodded along with Destiny and did my Hunter and Titan Armour.

 

Anyone got any advice on how to do a 200k nightfall? Closest we got was 165,000 which is nowhere near!!

Shattered Throne is gonna be a nightmare but such is life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Phelan said:

Alright I have Titan and Hunter Solstice Armour on Majestic (no fucking idea how I'm going to get 200K on a Nightfall!!) and onto my blues with my Warlock.

 

I had a week off last week and watched movies and shows on my iPad Pro while I plodded along with Destiny and did my Hunter and Titan Armour.

 

Anyone got any advice on how to do a 200k nightfall? Closest we got was 165,000 which is nowhere near!!

Shattered Throne is gonna be a nightmare but such is life.

 

Singe of your choice (arc NOT recommended) 200 or so modifier (should put you at x5 or so) famine, blackout and match game. Hollowed Lair strike. As long as you each have enegery and power to match the varying shields and don't die too often, you should clear with about 16-18 mins on the clock and nearly 300k on the board.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is probably an incredibly stupid question, but - when I'm reacquiring guns from my Collection, is there anywhere I can see which ones are Kinetic and which ones are Energy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PK said:

This is probably an incredibly stupid question, but - when I'm reacquiring guns from my Collection, is there anywhere I can see which ones are Kinetic and which ones are Energy?

Hold left trigger (I think) to display the element - works on the character screen too. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Scruff said:

 

Singe of your choice (arc NOT recommended) 200 or so modifier (should put you at x5 or so) famine, blackout and match game. Hollowed Lair strike. As long as you each have enegery and power to match the varying shields and don't die too often, you should clear with about 16-18 mins on the clock and nearly 300k on the board.

Thanks @Scruff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So given Cross save goes live next week, is there a PC clan we have here that needs M&K n00bs? I'm keen to try it on PC. I have the base game they gave away free and would like to experience extra frames. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, pledge said:

DIRECTOR'S CUT - PART I

 

Something to read while the patch installs.

 

I've been caning the game over the past few days after falling off it a while ago, and fucking hell I'm so glad they're doing this:

 

pursuits.jpg?cv=3983621215&av=3288030616

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.