rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep: the Undying Grind

10 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

Sniper, Rocket Launcher, Grenade Launcher, Fusion Rifle, Shotgun and (I'm assuming, as I've not had one yet) Machine Gun all in the power weapon slot.

At present it seems using a Scout Rifle and a Hand Cannon or other short range weapon (SMG seems the best apart from Hand Cannon to me anyway) is best.

Not liking it to be honest.

Scout and hand cannon combo is the best I've found - but that might be because of the particular scout and handcannon combo I have (the exotic HC is a beaut).

Since we're all doing it - things I prefer about D1 so far:

Weapon system (primary/special/heavy)

Weapon perks (more choice/variety)

Armour perks (more choice/variety)

Supers and abilities (recharge rate, cooldown and power/utility - where the FUCK is my Hunter invis, it feels half a class without it)

The sound of the weapons and jumps (they're too synthetic/sci-fi in this)

6s in Crucible (big loss imo)

Things D2 seems to do better:

'Balance' in PvP (don't really care - preferred it when it was more flamboyant and over-the-top)

Graphically it seems better in some ways (apart from the weird low-contrast thing going on sometimes)

Story stuff's obvs going to be better and more coherent

I got quite a nice ship

So I'm disappointed at the direction this is taking overall. Having said that, this is barely even a taster, so we'll see. We've yet to see how the economies work: how loot works, how levelling works and what tweaks will be made to stuff like ammo, and not seen the more engaging PvE content at all, so there's still a lot to play for. But the core changes we've now been introduced to... nah. Not a fan. I'm playing D1 right now (well, in between typing), and your supers make you feel super - like a hero - the weapon selection is way better and more versatile, the game sounds better, there's a lot more stuff to play about with in perks and subclass setup... it's just more engaging and fun. The glimpse of D2 we've got doesn't show much, but I also don't think it shows much - certainly in the PvE game - that's better than D1, once-through storyline and campaign aside. Feels like they might be concentrating on that and the PvP crowd more than the end-game RPG PvE bunch. But whatever their focus, the game just doesn't feel as engaging or unique in this limited taster.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I feel like the one character / one gearset thing is too fundamental to what makes Destiny Destiny for them to pull back from it now. It's the one thing the game does that you can't really find anywhere else. And it is v exciting when you get a drop in PVE that's going to be amazing for you in crucible (or vice versa, theoretically, though I can't actually remember that ever happening).

That said, I do think that as D1 grew through expansions, the pvp game became harder and harder to balance, and that seems to have affected their decision making for the sequel, to the apparent detriment of the PVE side of things. 

Worth pointing out though that this beta will be an old build and things will have already changed. Luke's already tweeted about power weapon ammo in PVE for instance. 

I got my hawkmoon from Atheon and my Gally from pvp playing control with randos one afternoon while 'working' from home (on a conference call mind). I accidentally unplugged my headset and dropped out of the call. EDIT: you know in over 800 hours playing destiny I only ever got that one gallahorn. funny how that works. 

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I'm quite short on gaming time at the moment and I expect by the time I go through it again I'll have had enough.

Though now I've said that if I don't want to replay content maybe Destiny isn't the game for me. 

If you don't want to replay content I'd say D1 isn't for you for sure, and I would have assumed D2 as well. But the way this is looking, it might be that a once-through of the D2 campaign will feel meaty enough to justify a purchase and sell-on. Previously I'd have assumed it's all about the end game and grinding, in an MMO-lite RPG stylee - like the raids and shit, as in D1 - but I'm not so sure now. I think they'll definitely make the basic campaign better value than D1's.

31 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Shotguns and snipers being in the power weapon slot feels ridiculous and is the biggest complaint for me. The power slot is absolutely stuffed with a variety of weapon types now while you have two whole slots just for various flavors of rifle and the occasional handcannon. Feels daft.

shotguns are a huge problem for destiny pvp though. this is what gorf is on about. they just had to do something about it. they had not found a way to fix that after 3 years of fucking about with damage tables. 

5 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

2 years and more of destiny I played . All through that time my trusty 2.0 headset served me well. We were a team. One evening of destiny 2 and ...

IMG_3066.JPG

I'm going to assume this snapped during that mind-bending moment of incredulous bewilderment when I told you I've never seen The Matrix!

• Upvote 1

Just now, PinkMoon said:

I'm going to assume this snapped during that mind-bending moment of incredulous bewilderment when I told you I've never seen The Matrix!

Exactly that . It wasnt when I took them off at the end of the night , they spontaneaously snapped at your shocking revelation . 

8 minutes ago, PinkMoon said:

58c69b910dd7e_giphy(9).gif.7ff2d0a3cf5bce8db0fb2d6171be2043.gif

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, PinkMoon said:

Why not???

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, relevant much.

What do you mean? I was just answering the question about Zelda dropping to low frame rates which you responded to with 'what?'

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, relevant much.

Matrix was one of the most important movies of the 90s. It has influenced every aspect of pop culture since. 

29 minutes ago, PinkMoon said:

Not sure really. I don't really watch films very often, I guess. I prefer gaming or music.

Did you play enter the matrix?

3 minutes ago, PinkMoon said:

Nope.

Have you listened to 'wake up' by rage against the machine?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Oz said:

Have you listened to 'wake up' by rage against the machine?

No. I've heard enough of them to know that I don't want to hear any more.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Gorf King said:

This is what's weird about all this - framerate doesn't = speed of gameplay. If you think Crucible is 'slow, plodding, dull' compared to BF1, I have no idea what you're on. Halo's pretty well-liked as a competitive shooter, and the gameplay in that is a lot slower. And that's why they've slowed it down for D2 from D1 - nothing to do with the (unchanged) frame rate at all.

In any case, Destiny's not a 'competitive shooter' - it's an online co-op shared world looter shooter. Personally - no offence - I found BF1 and Overwatch to be dull as fuck, not because they're not good at what they do, but because I'm not into purely PvP online shooters, and definitely not 'competitive' ones. I think this desire of Bungie to increasingly straddle both fences will eventually be the death of Destiny for me, because what I love about it is all the unique PvE stuff, not the attempts to be yet another online PvP shooter in a world that's drowning in them. And these attempts do nothing to help the PvE game - and often detract from it by way of supposed 'balance'.

I guess one saving grace is that the big PvP buffs can always go to PC and play at unlocked framerates there, but I do hope that those players' feedback about making the game more competitive doesn't lead to changes that adversely affect the PvE game. The PvP is just a part of the game, and this stuff's part of why I sometimes wish that part would fuck off.

I think you've added 2+1 to make 4 here. 30fps does contribute to slowness of PvP, without question but on top of that the gameplay is just that, slow. You mention Halo, we can't be talking Halo 5 because it moves around in a zippy pace. Even Halo 4 felt faster.

I'm not entirely sure at your BF1 comment either. BF1 is a surprisingly fast game these days

Now, I'm not a fan of BF1 but to say it's slow? Then no, I don't agree. Past BFs? Sure but we're going back along way with that slow drawn out gameplay. 

You're point about Overwatch, well, like that's your opinion man. It's probably the most refreshing competitive MP in a long time, it's set a new standard whether you care for PvP or not. 

I'd say your wrong about D2 not trying aiming at being more competitive. The very fact that there are slowdowns on supers and grenades, positioning shotguns into a heavy slot means Bungie is making this a more level playing field instead of the clusterfuck D1 was. They're trying to make a balanced MP which, so far, has hindered the PvE. If they didn't care for this we would still be seeing supers every 20 seconds with shotguns as the weapon of choice. 

What we can agree on is the need to balance both sides of PvE and PvP, it's a losing battle. I cannot for the life of me see why they can't make them separate modes with different stats, like you mention, it's just alienating two sets of players. 

48 minutes ago, JPL said:

What do you mean? I was just answering the question about Zelda dropping to low frame rates which you responded to with 'what?'

I know. 

58 minutes ago, Floex said:

I'd say your wrong about D2 not trying aiming at being more competitive. The very fact that there are slowdowns on supers and grenades, positioning shotguns into a heavy slot means Bungie is making this a more level playing field instead of the clusterfuck D1 was. They're trying to make a balanced MP which, so far, has hindered the PvE. If they didn't care for this we would still be seeing supers every 20 seconds with shotguns as the weapon of choice. 

What we can agree on is the need to balance both sides of PvE and PvP, it's a losing battle. I cannot for the life of me see why they can't make them separate modes with different stats, like you mention, it's just alienating two sets of players. 

Yeah, PvP needs to be separated out if it's having that effect. And that's my point - Destiny isn't a competitive shooter, and I don't think it should be, or ever will be. It should concentrate on what it does best, the deep PvE co-op endgame stuff. D2 feels like it's trying to please everyone here, and it'll please no-one.

When it comes to the speed of a game, it'd be easy enough to post videos of some decent players in Crucible whose speed would make you faint. But that'd be missing the point again really.

Lots of posts about the hatred of 4v4, the lack of diversity in the weapon setup, lack of power ammo in pve and the naff supers/abilities on Bungies forums.

I think some of the problem with the beta is its like playing D1 at level 20 (against level 21 enemies) with pretty weak weapons / armour so everything feels underpowered and a downgrade from being L400 with the best gear in the game. I'm hoping the end game stuff in D2 makes you feel equally powerful as D1... 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Weavus said:

I think some of the problem with the beta is its like playing D1 at level 20 (against level 21 enemies) with pretty weak weapons / armour so everything feels underpowered and a downgrade from being L400 with the best gear in the game. I'm hoping the end game stuff in D2 makes you feel equally powerful as D1... 

That would be true if the strike was hard, its not - its easier than most D1 strikes that are still in rotation in fact but the weapons feel and sound under powered, probably the sound as much as anything.

Of course the strike could be on a very easy level for the beta and be ramped up for the game/nightfall and have modifiers!