rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep: the Undying Grind

1 minute ago, Gorf King said:

You know, I often wish Destiny had no PvP. I mean, I play PvP, but it's not what I'm there for really. And removing it would remove many of the 'issues' that cause Bungie to bleed balance and stuff into the PvE game. I realise it would be commercial suicide to get rid, and that it's close to the hearts of many at Bungie, but still. I often wish it would just fuck off and leave us with a great(er) co-op PvE game. That's what Destiny is to me.

nah. being able to take raid weapons to fuck people up in PvP is the best design decision no? this is why getting certain drops in D1 felt so important (e.g. hawkmoon or OG mythoclash) remember? it just ads importance to drops they would not otherwise have. 

1 minute ago, Mystacon said:

Anyone know how to throw the Titan's Captain America shield? Swear I tried all the buttons but couldn't get it to happen. Ta!

Its L1. I had the same issue, and its on such a long CD you'll never throw more than 1 in a single super. To be honest, I found that super to be a massive letdown as a result.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

Yeah, that took me by surprise after the previous games to be sure. They were clearly weak though before I hit the two of them, but charge has never been able to kill more than 1 person before.

You can go from 10 (?) armour to 0 armour (which is where I started off) in your setup though. Clearly that makes a massive difference.

My melees have been ineffective too compared even to the Hunter melees in 1. I put that down to the same thing as supers and grenades also doing less damage, and TTK for guns being higher too. The variability thing I think can largely be explained by armour variance. I dunno for sure though, I'm not a savage brute who goes around shoulder charging everyone and punching them in the face like some drunken thug. I'm civilised and prefer to knife them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Oz said:

nah. being able to take raid weapons to fuck people up in PvP is the best design decision no? this is why getting certain drops in D1 felt so important (e.g. hawkmoon or OG mythoclash) remember? it just ads importance to drops they would not otherwise have. 

I don't think you'll even get those overpowered, massively fun VoG-style weapons in D2 raids. Mainly because of PvP balance issues. As much as I understand the 'need' for PvP balance, I think it's to the great detriment of the sheer joy possible in the PvE game because of the very thing you say - Bungie want you to be able to use all that stuff in PvP too and not have a rebalance or disconnect between the two - so guns all have to work and feel the same in both modes. It spoiled a lot of later D1 for me, and I think it's already having a detrimental effect on D2 (I'm sure the new weapon setup is largely due to PvP, and as I've said I'd be happier with a scout, sniper and rocket launcher all at the same time and loads of ammo for them, thank you very much).

4 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

You can go from 10 (?) armour to 0 armour (which is where I started off) in your setup though. Clearly that makes a massive difference.

My melees have been ineffective too compared even to the Hunter melees in 1. I put that down to the same thing as supers and grenades also doing less damage, and TTK for guns being higher too. The variability thing I think can largely be explained by armour variance. I dunno for sure though, I'm not a savage brute who goes around shoulder charging everyone and punching them in the face like some drunken thug. I'm civilised and prefer to knife them.

Why use a knife when a fist gets the job done just as well?

But yeah, maybe the guy I was punching had higher armour, but I swear I was at 10 when it happened. It was only the one guy (I think it was a Warlock, but I cant remember now) I had the issue with. I certainly don't recall any special effects on his melee's either, as that would have helped explain it if he hit me with his melee ability.

Just now, Mr Ben said:

Why use a knife when a fist gets the job done just as well?

But yeah, maybe the guy I was punching had higher armour, but I swear I was at 10 when it happened. It was only the one guy (I think it was a Warlock, but I cant remember now) I had the issue with. I certainly don't recall any special effects on his melee's either, as that would have helped explain it if he hit me with his melee ability.

you need to chill man. come sit in my pool of light. maybe we can reason with them and no knifes are needed either. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

I take pride in playing the most hated class in the game.

At least Titans have utility eh? :P

Some aye, some not so much - depends if they ever use those shields they brag about.

• Upvote 1

I love the Titan Class will be trying it out this evening.

Everyone loved the titan during Vault of Glass, put down bubble shield on the middle pillar & enjoy that boost.

• Upvote 1

I just can't passed how tired Destiny feels in 30fps. We've had COD, Battlefield, Overwatch, Battlefront, Splatoon since then, these are the benchmarks in competitive FPS multiplayer gaming, this is the speed it should be at the very minimum. The game has changed and Destiny feels like that Steve Buscemi gif, old man trying to say he's still got it.

giphy.gif

How anyone wants to spend time in the crucible anymore is beyond me. Slow, plodding, dull.

And don't watch the 60fps trailer after watching the beta if you're on consoles, it's a completely different game and a scarring memory of what could have been :(

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'll be trying out the Hunter tonight. Did the story mission last night, though didnt notice if it was weak or not during that. Will see later. The dodge ability is a bit rubbish though.

14 minutes ago, Floex said:

I just can't passed how tired Destiny feels in 30fps. We've had COD, Battlefield, Overwatch, Battlefront, Splatoon since then, these are the benchmarks in competitive FPS multiplayer gaming, this is the speed it should be at the very minimum. The game has changed and Destiny feels like that Steve Buscemi gif, old man trying to say he's still got it.

giphy.gif

How anyone wants to spend time in the crucible anymore is beyond me. Slow, plodding, dull.

And don't watch the 60fps trailer after watching the beta if you're on consoles, it's a completely different game and a scarring memory of what could have bee :(

This is what's weird about all this - framerate doesn't = speed of gameplay. If you think Crucible is 'slow, plodding, dull' compared to BF1, I have no idea what you're on. Halo's pretty well-liked as a competitive shooter, and the gameplay in that is a lot slower. And that's why they've slowed it down for D2 from D1 - nothing to do with the (unchanged) frame rate at all.

In any case, Destiny's not a 'competitive shooter' - it's an online co-op shared world looter shooter. Personally - no offence - I found BF1 and Overwatch to be dull as fuck, not because they're not good at what they do, but because I'm not into purely PvP online shooters, and definitely not 'competitive' ones. I think this desire of Bungie to increasingly straddle both fences will eventually be the death of Destiny for me, because what I love about it is all the unique PvE stuff, not the attempts to be yet another online PvP shooter in a world that's drowning in them. And these attempts do nothing to help the PvE game - and often detract from it by way of supposed 'balance'.

I guess one saving grace is that the big PvP buffs can always go to PC and play at unlocked framerates there, but I do hope that those players' feedback about making the game more competitive doesn't lead to changes that adversely affect the PvE game. The PvP is just a part of the game, and this stuff's part of why I sometimes wish that part would fuck off.

• Upvote 4

I agree with Gorf on the PvP thing. What I think they should do is just have two tabs, one for your character in PvE and one for in PvE and discrete pools of weapons for each. Then they could be much more creative with the PvE content and put in all kinds of fun crazy weapons, without worrying that it wil break balance and xXx=El1t3Snip3z=xXx will abuse it in PVP. Unfortunately they're absolutely wedded to this same character and loadout across both modes for some reason.

• Upvote 7

Yup, totally. They could also do the thing some other devs do and make the PvP 60fps and turn off all the graphics or summat. Just keep it totally distinct and away from the PvE game. They just won't do it though, because of some dogma about everything being directly translatable from one mode to the other (despite them breaking that anyway by making all PvP 4s and all PvE 3s and 6s, so the dogma makes no sense any more).

I feel like the one character / one gearset thing is too fundamental to what makes Destiny Destiny for them to pull back from it now. It's the one thing the game does that you can't really find anywhere else. And it is v exciting when you get a drop in PVE that's going to be amazing for you in crucible (or vice versa, theoretically, though I can't actually remember that ever happening).

That said, I do think that as D1 grew through expansions, the pvp game became harder and harder to balance, and that seems to have affected their decision making for the sequel, to the apparent detriment of the PVE side of things. 

Worth pointing out though that this beta will be an old build and things will have already changed. Luke's already tweeted about power weapon ammo in PVE for instance. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Yup, totally. They could also do the thing some other devs do and make the PvP 60fps and turn off all the graphics or summat. Just keep it totally distinct and away from the PvE game. They just won't do it though, because of some dogma about everything being directly translatable from one mode to the other (despite them breaking that anyway by making all PvP 4s and all PvE 3s and 6s, so the dogma makes no sense any more).

Yup 100% this.

I do agree that D2 like D1 does feel slow in its movement, you don't have the same zip when you spin the aim around that you do in 60fps games, there is some inertia  - its not a slow game and I don't think thats what the other chap meant.

Shotguns and snipers being in the power weapon slot feels ridiculous and is the biggest complaint for me. The power slot is absolutely stuffed with a variety of weapon types now while you have two whole slots just for various flavors of rifle and the occasional handcannon. Feels daft.

• Upvote 5

30 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

And it is v exciting when you get a drop in PVE that's going to be amazing for you in crucible (or vice versa, theoretically, though I can't actually remember that ever happening).

Unfortunately, I really think this is going to be missing in D2 with the new weapon balancing mantra to make everything viable. I can't see them having a Mythoclast or the like ever again :(

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

In a competitive PvP area? I would say it makes a difference , yes . I dont think you will ever see PS4/bone @30 fps and pro/onex at 60 for online games where they can both access the same session.

i don't care anyway because 30fps destiny is better than 60fps anything else .  

What about those playing it in 4K v 1080p or HDR v non-HDR?

1 minute ago, Harsin said:

Shotguns and snipers being in the power weapon slot feels ridiculous and is the biggest complaint for me. The power slot is absolutely stuffed with a variety of weapon types now while you have two whole slots just for various flavors of rifle and the occasional handcannon. Feels daft.

And fusions... I wonder if I'll ever get to use a machine gun, shotgun or fusion again in PvE as a sniper or RL will be the only choice imo. Seems so wrong :(

I really hate the dual primaries system for PvE so far.

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

There is no HDR. But your 4k vs 1080p argument is valid, although I'm struggling to notice the difference to be honest.

4 minutes ago, Weavus said:

And fusions... I wonder if I'll ever get to use a machine gun, shotgun or fusion again in PvE as a sniper or RL will be the only choice imo. Seems so wrong :(

I really hate the dual primaries system for PvE so far.

Sniper, Rocket Launcher, Grenade Launcher, Fusion Rifle, Shotgun and (I'm assuming, as I've not had one yet) Machine Gun all in the power weapon slot.

At present it seems using a Scout Rifle and a Hand Cannon or other short range weapon (SMG seems the best apart from Hand Cannon to me anyway) is best.

Not liking it to be honest.

8 minutes ago, JPL said:

What about them ?

30v60fps has a fundamental affect on gameplay . 4k vs 1080p doesn't 

4k won't give you any advantage over 1080p unless you are playing on a 100inch screen. And HDR definitely won't give you an edge . 

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

So I played the beta as a Warlock.

Out of the other two which would people recommend trying? I wasn't particularly impressed by the Warlock.

Try them both ? It's like 45 mins each on the beta (btw You need to be really good to be a hunter . They require the best skills, the fastest reactions, the best aim , the largest manhoods)

I'm quite short on gaming time at the moment and I expect by the time I go through it again I'll have had enough.

Though now I've said that if I don't want to replay content maybe Destiny isn't the game for me.