rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep: the Undying Grind

15 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

The one they're stuck on now is the monitor showing three swords, each looking like it belongs to one of the three different houses of the forges (because one sword looks Norse, one French, one Japanese), and each has a different elemental symbol placed over it. But the room spawns special ammo boxes for this section - which it's never done before - and, of course, no swords use special ammo. So maybe you each use the forge sniper to shoot a symbol that relates to each element of the graphic? Probably not. 

I've seen plenty of people point this pout in Gladd's chat but havent seen them try anything with it yet.

Energy weapons from the different forges - didnt the AR (solar) have to be forged in Volundr, sniper (arc) in Gofannon and hand cannon (void) in Izanami?

Those match the elements on the swords/houses and obviously it spawns energy ammo...

1 minute ago, lewismistreated said:

Yeah, fuck all of this. I'll take a Curse of Osiris-level disappointment over whatever the hell this is any day of the week. At least with that, I paid for it, I played it, and moved on with my merry life. 

Never say that. Osiris was utter drivel. Worst Destiny content by a country mile, raid lair could not save it. Its proper shite.

I would never take that over anything that has come since that, and neither should anyone paying for content. There's a reason the majority of the playerbase quit the game, and Osiris was the icing on the already shitty cake. If those people hadnt quit, you'd still be playing Destiny 2 as it was at launch, and there'd be no mysteries, no secrets, no powerful weapons, just boring content with shit-tier writing, and you'd still be shooting double primaries with all the "good" guns in one slot.

14 minutes ago, luckypierre said:

I've seen plenty of people point this pout in Gladd's chat but havent seen them try anything with it yet.

Energy weapons from the different forges - didnt the AR (solar) have to be forged in Volundr, sniper (arc) in Gofannon and hand cannon (void) in Izanami?

Those match the elements on the swords/houses and obviously it spawns energy ammo...

Nah, the hand cannon is Gofannon as well as the sniper. I know, because I've grinded them enough :lol:

The sniper is definitely the Japanese weapon though, as is the bow and the sword I believe, so I think you may be right, and they need the other weapons maybe. The thing is the auto rifle and the hand cannon have never been used in the previous forges to see symbols, but who knows?

3 hours ago, Gorf King said:

Sorry, missed this earlier.

The details are difficult to explain simply, but the general thrust is that symbols (and letters) exist on the walls and floor of Niobe Labs (and earlier forges) that are only visible when you ADS through specific forge weapons - the bow, sniper and LMG. Each shows a different set of symbols in different places. When you shoot these in a certain order to input the code, if it's correct you move to the next stage.

To unlock the last forge for everyone, you have to submit at least seven correct codes - there are seven waves of enemies leading up to this. People have now worked out codes 1-6 but not the seventh. After that it's likely there'll be *something* else (despite Bungie's love of 7s) as the boss we've trailed through the DLC appears in wave 7 then fucks off still alive.

The codes/solutions are really obscure. An image comes up on monitors in the room after you kill all the enemies in each wave (which are downright nasty), and that's it, that's your clue. You then have a few second to shoot the right things in the right order to input the right code. If you fail, everything resets back to the first wave.

To give you an idea of what proved to be one of the simpler ones (but got everyone hung up for hours), here's what appears on the monitor for code six.

vJrFn0ah.jpg

Using the following key (which was worked out a while back over time, in connection with earlier forge symbols), numbers were assigned to each gemstone in the above picture.

3pmu0WD.jpg&key=94e5694ba3cfd72b1f4c7e6d

The relevant part here is the numbering in the top left image. This assigns each gemstone a numeric value which was translated to the roman alphabet thus:

Jl4IrRLh.jpg&key=fece7e6f428d17fb0d10842

Brocéliande is the name of an ancient forest in France and this in lore may relate to one of the families who form the lineage of the Black Armoury, so this was seen to be something that could not be coincidental. There followed several hours of trying to input words based on the forest name, but no Os and Cs are available so it wasn't straightforward, and eventually all sorts of kooky and obscure words around bits of lore relating to Brocéliande were being input (it's heavily linked to Arthurian legend).

In the end the solution was bafflingly, and strangely, unsatisfyingly simple. The available symbols dotted around the room are:

NKH3tLs.jpg&key=d896a1845fc1599ad3566a37

And the solution was for all three people to stand on the Hand symbol (on the floor) and shoot the Trees symbol at the same time. Why? Why the fuck not. I mean, yeah, it's trees = forest, but why do all three stand on the hand symbol? Why does it take three simultaneous shots (none of the earlier ones do)?

The other solutions are quite unlike that one, but many are even more obscure. The one they're stuck on now is the monitor showing three swords, each looking like it belongs to one of the three different houses of the forges (because one sword looks Norse, one French, one Japanese), and each has a different elemental symbol placed over it. But the room spawns special ammo boxes for this section - which it's never done before - and, of course, no swords use special ammo. So maybe you each use the forge sniper to shoot a symbol that relates to each element of the graphic? Probably not. 

It's all like that really. And every time you fail, you have to fight through the previous six levels and input all those codes again to have another go at this one.

Gladd's just about to hit 24 hours solid. This has now taken longer than the entirety of the longest blind raid run (Last Wish).

Imagine if this was the plot for Ready Player One.

• Upvote 1

Probably the right decision. It’s miserable for Gladd and Datto and everyone else who stayed up but I don’t see what else they could do really. Keep on like this and someone’s going to get hurt. Better to acknowledge you whiffed and put a stop to it. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mafro said:

lmao

Ouch - they could have waited until they finally did it - because you know life finds a way...

Yeah they fucked this one up but this rather feels like its rubbing the dedicated's noses in it

6 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Probably the right decision. It’s miserable for Gladd and Datto and everyone else who stayed up but I don’t see what else they could do really. Keep on like this and someone’s going to get hurt. Better to acknowledge you whiffed and put a stop to it. 

They could maybe internally playtest their content better to prevent stuff like this.

I'm watching that Gladd fella try and try and try to get past level 7. Is this what passes for content in Destiny these days? Imagine if he manages it and it goes onto level 8.

5 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Never say that. Osiris was utter drivel. Worst Destiny content by a country mile, raid lair could not save it. Its proper shite.

I would never take that over anything that has come since that, and neither should anyone paying for content. There's a reason the majority of the playerbase quit the game, and Osiris was the icing on the already shitty cake. If those people hadnt quit, you'd still be playing Destiny 2 as it was at launch, and there'd be no mysteries, no secrets, no powerful weapons, just boring content with shit-tier writing, and you'd still be shooting double primaries with all the "good" guns in one slot.

Highlighted the important part there.

I would take a couple of C-tier story missions and a few new exotics over Black Armory. Every time. Black Armory, day one, asked me to continue grinding out existing weekly content in order to see one or two glorified Horde modes, and some other stuff around the periphery. And as Bungie still - still!! - have not come up with a good answer to get more individual players into accessing new raids, I have no desire to engage in any of this. 

I was on board with them trying new things. Probably shouldn't have spent money on it before seeing what that looked like exactly, but fuck me I guess. But I really hope they change course at least somewhat for the two remaining releases.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mafro said:

They could maybe internally playtest their content better to prevent stuff like this.

This is pure speculation, but I would imagine it’s very hard to playtest puzzles that are supposed to be solved by a whole community working together. How do you simulate thousands of people working on a puzzle across the internet? These kinds of thing generally seem to be solved much more quickly than people anticipate, so I guess the temptation is to make it harder than you feel it should be. 

• Upvote 3

I'm sorry but that puzzle is an utter load of shit.

Why would you lock content behind something so damned complex? Encryption and codes with no feedback and total trial and error. It's a fucking game not the enigma fucking code!?!?!

Maybe they have teamed up with the NSA and are just using Destiny players to decrypt codes from spies or something cause whoever at Bungie thought any of that was a good idea is a fucking moron.

• Empathy 1

4 hours ago, lewismistreated said:

And as Bungie still - still!! - have not come up with a good answer to get more individual players into accessing new raids, I have no desire to engage in any of this. 

Quite apart from any other (often valid) criticisms levelled at Bungie over accessibility, this one I fear will never be solved. Not unless they make raids far simpler affairs that don't require good planning, comms and teamwork. I'm assuming here that by getting more individual players into accessing new raids you mean matchmaking. Given how often people play so uncoordinatedly in many activities - even things as simple as Gambit - when they're matchmade and not communicating, I'm not sure how they can ever get those people into raids without making raids little more than strikes.

Having said that, I do think more should be done to bring what would be essentially LFG within the game itself. But I'm not sure all that many people would engage with it if it involved actually working things out with other people - otherwise they might as well just use an external LFG site anyway (or Bungie's own clan/looking for fireteam app stuff). Before D2 launched I thought their guided games initiative might provide a bridge between LFG and matchmaking, but I'll willingly admit that was, and remains, a complete failure for anything other than basic Nightfalls.

So I'm not saying Bungie are perfect in what they've tried to do, but I do recognise that they've tried (and failed) to do something. And I'm not really sure exactly what the solution is, to be honest, because unless you massively simplify the content and demands of raids you will, ultimately, have to have some sort of LFG arrangement at the very least. Maybe that's what you want as an answer. But simply matchmaking people into challenging content isn't, and I sometimes struggle with what can be done that's more demanding than the latter yet less demanding than the former to accommodate people, without completely changing the nature of the raids and making them less challenging themselves.

• Upvote 1

The Black Armoury key mould is bugged and you cant get another one for a different character from Ada after picking one up already (if you delete it, only that character can re-obtain it from her). Clearly a bug, but considering one of the quest chains is to do Shattered Throne (which is this week) so its a time gated quest, a fair few people on reddit and bungies forums are a bit pissed, as the rare bounty (another part of the quest chain) wont drop for some of our characters (my Titan for example) so were trying on another character.

This forge/event/quest seems to be plagued with issues at this point. Not a good week for Bungie.

Weirdest thing about watching all that awful Destiny stuff over the last couple of days is that it made me want to... play... Destiny. So I did. I did my first Forge over the Christmas break but haven't been back since, and I'm now in this weird place of trying to work out the flow of all the Ada / Black Armoury stuff while everyone else is doing the last part of it.

I saw something somewhere about being able to take any kind of frame to the final forge that unlocked yesterday. Does that mean I don't have to go through the apparently miserable process of unlocking the other forges one by one, and can just go to that one instead? And do they all have the same power-level requirements? I'm 615 in heels, which is enough to do the first forge if I get a decent group. 

37 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

And do they all have the same power-level requirements? I'm 615 in heels, which is enough to do the first forge if I get a decent group. 

I'm sure I read this morning that the final forge is 650.

Yeah, it's definitely tougher than the others. Though ironically the boss is the easiest of all, simply because of its nature. But getting to the boss, the adds present more of a challenge, which you can feel immediately even at 650.

You're right that any weapon can be forged at Bergusia, but I dunno if you can just waltz in without doing the other forges first, because I've only done Bergusia on my main, and he's already done the previous ones. It is slightly ironic that you can now just waltz in if you have done the others, given that they had a string of grinding requirements behind them.

Nope, it's still ongoing.

Given how we love all the puzzling aspect of raids and hidden dungeons/quests and the like, it's been a real surprise to see how badly these 'puzzles' have been designed. Some of the solutions feel almost arbitrary. There's been some criticism of making the forges quite grindy, but I really didn't think they'd slip up on something like this. The surprise quests and events have often been Destiny's saving grace, but this time around this one feels feel quite the opposite. I hope it doesn't put them off creating this sort of cryptic content. I just hope they identify the actual flaws in this particular event.

Good man for trying it blind. You'll love it - it's a great raid with a real sense of adventure and discovery. Just make sure you set aside plenty of time; maybe a few days to work out encounter four...