rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep: the Undying Grind

Annoyingly I’d already done that before getting the bounty so I’ll have to do it again. Not sure my blood pressure has normalised from the first run just yet. 

48 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Though strangely, you can do the third one quite easily (and those of us who had it did).

Hide contents

Kill four of those big Ascendant Challenge Knights while ascendant. Though you have to land the killing blow, I think, so might take more than one run to do so. 

I had that one last week too. Black Spindle and a nice little spot in a tree did the job for me in one go! 

I do find it quite interesting. Like, it's definitely worse now from the perspective of someone who just wants to shoot the best guns whilst wearing the best armour. But also, there's no denying I'm finding it more fun. And also more addictive. It's a hard one.

On 13/09/2018 at 15:40, Oz said:

It's a balancing act with these sorts of games. I play FF14 too and it's quite interesting to see how over five years of expansions and regular content patches they've crafted a range of experiences that attempt to cater to the whole spectrum of players, from those who play a few evenings a week to those for whom it's basically their entire life. All systems that are in one way or another designed to keep players paying their monthly subscription. I imagine it's an incredibly difficult pursuit to design a game that covers all bases and it takes some devs years to get it right.

Destiny 2 was quite clearly geared towards being more accessible to the 'casual' player, with far less of a time commitment required, clearer indications as to how to level up your character each week and less reliance on RNG loot drops. The problem was that it left the game feeling incredibly lean after a month or so and with the removal of much of the said RNG (no random rolls, exotics dropping like confetti etc.) there was next to nothing for the more dedicated players to play for. The game had many other issues too and generally felt like a significant regression from the state of Destiny 1 at its end but the crux of people deserting the game in droves was this lack of meaningful and fun things to do, I think. It just got very boring, very quickly.

I'd pretty much given up on Destiny and hadn't played it for around 6 months until the siren call of Forsaken and its promises of a return to the long-form grind and deeper systems called me back and I think the game right now is in the best place it's ever been. They've done a fantastic job... of making it like Destiny 1 again, if I'm being honest. But credit to them for realising they'd taken a direction that wasn't popular with the playerbase at large and for the most part giving them exactly what they wanted. But having had time away from it and a little perspective you do get a sense of just how consuming of your time the design at the core of these kinds of games really are. There's a wider discussion to be had about the plethora of long-form, hobbyist, games-as-a-service or whatever you want to call them that are being made these days and it's something I think about quite a lot. They're all designed in one way or another to get you addicted and chasing that next dopamine rush in whatever form it takes. Digital Skinner boxes wrapped in sumptuous art and refined mechanics. Often brilliant in their execution but always somewhat insidious in their core design. 

That article is right in many ways but what Forsaken really does is give players a load of fun and interesting things to do again. The game is simply a hell of a lot of fun once more (allowing for the fact that it's all shiny and new for the time being) and it's tied character progression into a much wider array of activities right across the game. It follows that when you cram your game full of activities that make the player feel rewarded within its own context and require those activities to be repeated on a daily basis then the inherently addictive nature of it all will resurface and some will be susceptible to that.

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Agree with all of that. Nicely put.

I got an exotic drop from one of Spider's bounties earlier, much to my surprise/delight.

lord of wolves?

I got Queenbreakers Bow last night, but not from any bounty. Just a random drop from some enemy. Guess you dont need to do Spiders bounties for that, but may need to for others.

That was my first Forsaken exotic. It does feel like D1 for exotics, although I'm glad I already have Mida this time!

I’m enjoying Destiny 2 version 2, but it does feel a bit like they’ve confused longevity for faff. I know I bang on about this quite a lot, but the game feels pretty sluggish and unwieldy at times. It takes two minutes to get from the title screen to the character select screen. It takes another couple of minutes to load up the tower. Another minute or three to run around picking up bounties, decrypting engrams, getting Eververse packages, etc. Then you drop into the Tangled Shore after a minute or two of a loading screen. It takes you slightly too long to run to Spider to get some more bounties, then to run back out again. Etc etc. If you go back to orbit, then realise that you forgot to pick up any Vanguard bounties, then fuck it, day ruined. May as well yank the plug out of the socket and flush the PS4 down the toilet.

Couple that with the way that random rolls require you to open up the options screen, look at a gun, wait for the menus and nodes to populate so you can see what perks it has, etc. You can’t even see what the perks are just from the tooltips anymore, which is especially annoying when figuring out what ghost to use.

All very minor individually, but in aggregate, it feels like a significant chunk of the game is spent waiting or fiddling. I get the appeal of having the various areas as physical locations, but you could do all this through a menu and save me spending 10 minutes of every hour reading rllmuk while waiting for the game to start. Not to mention having to grind out mats to infuse weapons.

The actual value they’ve added to the game is in the form of stuff like quests, Gambit, the Dreaming City, the improved Vanguard and Crucible rankup systems, etc etc. It’s not in the form of random rolls, and wasting my time sprinting round the tower every time I load the game up. At least dump me in the tower when I log in, rather than in orbit.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

3 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I got that yesterday, same old beast it always was!

Shimmy and a shotgun, crouching in a corner. You'd better go to him cuz' he's not gonna.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, Lord of Wolves. Never had it in D1 so it’s like a whole new gun. 

I love how rare exotics are. Exactly as it should be. I’ve had one bit of warlock armour that’s absolutely amazing and I am never not using, and two weapons. Perfectly paced. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Not quite as fun as loading into a Nightfall that Donut and Wavy had in progress and finding them on the boss with a sliver of health left and about five seconds from death. I played my part (fired an arrow).

Yeah, that really brought the D1 feels back. I was half expecting you the get The Last Word from the chest and everything.

I don't like gambit. Well, I like the the idea, but the rounds are too long. If you're trying to level up it's a real waste of time. 

You know what? The best thing is that they've finally sorted out Hunters with Forsaken, specifically Solar ones with Ophidia Spathe and Incendiary grenades. They don't even need guns.

Slightly less rubs, now, obvs.

A fun night with chums

Ascendent Challenge done (this one was much nicer in that you could load back in when spawning), explored a very pretty but (so far) superflous route on the Dreaming City (that did have a vendor that sold ToQ!), did the nightfall and got up to 531! Have a full set of Vanguard armor so can progress that too!

(And I got really annoyed at 2vs4 Gambits, and failing miserably to get any hand cannon kills)

Then looked for Blind Well runs but saw none :(

Quotes from TWAB

Raid

Last week, we showed you a preview of the new raid World First title belts. For more details, see our official rules. That’s not the only thing we have lined up for the most hardcore raiders to immortalize their accomplishment—the World First team is also guaranteed to all receive the One Thousand Voices Exotic, which is a rare drop from the final encounter. 

If you think you may have finished first, make sure you loot the final chest after defeating the final encounter to ensure both your rewards. After that, return to Orbit to finish the activity. 

In addition to the extra rewards for the World First team, any player who beats the raid within the first 24 hours will receive the “Wish Ascended” emblem.

09132018_Raid_Emblem.jpg?cv=3983621215&a

That’s not all! Any player who beats the Last Wish before 10 AM PDT on Tuesday September 18, 2018 will have access to a personalized Last Wish raid jacket available for purchase through the Bungie Rewards program. Players who would like to participate in this offer need to make sure they complete the raid, claim the in-game Triumph, and then claim the code on the Bungie Rewards page BEFORE the weekly reset. You will have until September 30 to use the code to make the purchase.

09132018_Raid_Jacket.jpg?cv=3983621215&a

There are many more secrets to uncover in the raid and ways to showcase your accomplishments to other Guardians in Destiny 2. We’re excited for the race to begin and can’t wait to see who comes out on top.

Iron Banner

Not into raiding? That’s OK. Lord Saladin returns next week to challenge you in the ways of Iron Banner! Things may feel a bit different for Guardians returning to the fray. For the first time in Destiny 2 multiplayer, your Power will matter.  You are now in an arms race with the Guardians you face off against, so make sure to equip your most powerful gear.

Game Mode: Control

Begins: Tuesday, September 18

Ends: Tuesday, September 25

Enabling Power advantages is not the only change coming to Iron Banner. Lord Saladin will present seven weekly bounties for you to complete. Each bounty rewards you with an Iron Banner-themed reward, and two of these bounties in particular grant powerful rewards. There are no exceptions: All Iron Banner-themed weapons and armor have the chance to be rewarded when bounties are completed.

The original Iron Lord will also be offering armor for direct purchase, as well as two weapons with unique rolls per event. You can gain access to purchase these items by completing their associated bounties.

If you have tokens left over from Season 3, these may be redeemed in Season 4 for   packages. As with bounties, all Iron Banner-themed weapons and armor may be earned through reputation packages from Lord Saladin.

To wrap up rewards, post-match drops are also returning to Iron Banner. Both Crucible and Iron Banner rewards will drop at match completion.

Coming with Iron Banner at 10 AM PDT on 9/18, a reprised Crucible map will also become available. This map will be instantly available in Crucible playlists for all Destiny 2 players. Owners of Forsaken will also gain access to this map in private matches. We will reveal the map on Monday, so stay tuned to all of our social channels for a preview.

Too. Much. To. Do.

9 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

That’s not all! Any player who beats the Last Wish before 10 AM PDT on Tuesday September 18, 2018 will have access to a personalized Last Wish raid jacket available for purchase through the Bungie Rewards program. Players who would like to participate in this offer need to make sure they complete the raid, claim the in-game Triumph, and then claim the code on the Bungie Rewards page BEFORE the weekly reset. You will have until September 30 to use the code to make the purchase.

09132018_Raid_Jacket.jpg?cv=3983621215&a

Umm. Ergh. No thanks.

Unless ABSOLUTE CUNT is emblazoned across the back.

• Upvote 1

PSA - Easiest way to get mod components at present, without actually getting new mods and dismantling them:

Likely get patched soon, maybe.

10 hours ago, Thor said:

I don't like gambit. Well, I like the the idea, but the rounds are too long. If you're trying to level up it's a real waste of time. 

The rounds can be quite short if you have a competent team. Unfortunately, this game likes matching up four randos (no one else seems to like playing Gambit so I'm forever alone :( ) with full fireteams so it's usually xXURMUMSUXXx and two others running around, stealing all the motes, not banking and then dying while me and possibly one other decent player scream obscenities at the screen. It's such a shame as Gambit weapons are absolute beasts. Trust, Bygone and Pillager (I've not seen the auto or scouts yet) are all monsters.

39 minutes ago, Scruff said:

The rounds can be quite short if you have a competent team. Unfortunately, this game likes matching up four randos (no one else seems to like playing Gambit so I'm forever alone :( ) with full fireteams so it's usually xXURMUMSUXXx and two others running around, stealing all the motes, not banking and then dying while me and possibly one other decent player scream obscenities at the screen. It's such a shame as Gambit weapons are absolute beasts. Trust, Bygone and Pillager (I've not seen the auto or scouts yet) are all monsters.

I'll play gambit with you. just get the game on PC. there is a item that auto completes everything before forsaken. time to evolve. kidding aside. surprised to hear no one is playing considering ace of spades and the chaperone are behind it. 

19 minutes ago, Oz said:

I'll play gambit with you. just get the game on PC. there is a item that auto completes everything before forsaken. time to evolve. kidding aside. surprised to hear no one is playing considering ace of spades and the chaperone are behind it. 

I would Oz, but how would I take all my Forsaken exotics with me?

Oh, wait.... :(

;) 

I like that there are more things that give you progress and can live with the compromise that progress can be tiny from powerful rewards. I probably liked better when there was a realistic chance that I would get all exotics across all classes. I don't really see the point of creating brilliant weapons that most people won't see. I think if they were going to be this hard to get they should also all be broken good. And instead I am hearing mixed things about all but maybe a couple. I really like the new weapon system.because I feel like it took nothing away, it just added options. I am still rocking my two primaries and doing really well in crucible. I don't think shotgun rushing is as rampant as I feared at the start. It's actually a rather inneffective strat for most people. I. Happy to hear shimmy was able to go back to camping around a corner. :DI like the tangled shore and love the dreaming city. I love the wishing well. I am underwhelmed by the scorn but good to have more variety. Random rolls are growing on me on this iteration. I kind of wish perks had themselves tiers. For example, allowing you to get a legendary with legendary perks and an exotic mod. They needed a more elegant solution to including thriumps and lore and everything else on the menus, it is a fucking mess of stuff.

1 hour ago, Scruff said:

I have the Rocket Launcher (with tracking module and cluster on) the primary pulse rifle and the scout (not tried the latter 2, but the perks arent that great on them). I'd play Gambit with you, but you wouldnt be able to hear me :coffee:

Got the hand cannon kills done in both gambit and crucible on my Hunter, as well as the chaperone done on my Titan. not sure whether to hand them in or not yet, as they supposedly drop at high power, so the later the better I guess? I dunno. Got murdered by the Chaperone multiple times doing the quest for it - the range is ridiculous on it as its a primary (its literally maxed out range).

I'm not the deaf one Ben. The problem is I can hear you far too well.

Old man Gorf is the one who needs the hearing aids ;) 

I think I've only had one "new" exotic (and 2 Year 1 Armor) - The Twin Tailed Fox.

It's fun and pack a wallop, but doesn't feel"exotic", just strong

2 hours ago, Scruff said:

I'm not the deaf one Ben. The problem is I can hear you far too well.

Old man Gorf is the one who needs the hearing aids ;) 

I think you're getting confused - you're the one who couldn't hear me! You might need to turn the volume up on your hearing aid.

IB should be interesting - if anyone has time for it with everything else going on - because power matters, and it'll be quite a change going into PvP armed only with a selection of sidearms and Edge Transits. Or else using the guns you like and being dumped back to Warmind power levels.