Destiny 2: Season of the Seraph. More Rasputin, new Dungeon.

Uncle Mike

1 hour ago, Gorf King said:

To the guy who wanted a cheap copy, I'll be putting my disk in trading later today. Only used it last night pre-digital release, and it's still got the Coldheart code.

If you're reading this and were interested - sorry. CEX are offering £35 for it so I'm just going to pop down the road and do that to save postage.

To echo what Weavus said, the campaign's great, especially towards the end, and the more you get into it the more it feels like pure Destiny, but distilled and refined. I suspect going back to D1 the original game will seem a bit less well-realised than I remember, and in your memory D2 will be like the archetypal Destiny, overwriting your recollections of D1. They've certainly tweaked it from the console beta (or had built down a different line anyway), and it feels just superb to play now - the concerns about speed, mobility and the snappiness of the gunplay are completely gone.

As soon as the main story is done and everything opens up, you get that 'this is Destiny' feeling, but with a lot of the structural problems removed. The way this is going, I'd be surprised if this doesn't end up being my favourite online game ever - just trolling about in the world is massively enjoyable in that way Destiny always was, but enhanced by far greater accessibility and navigability and the clever ways in which they've refined the collaborative multi-fireteam, multi-level 'all join in' ethos of public events and the like. I'm sure, given the care that's been put into this, the raid's going to be an absolute cracker.

I have played for around 10 hours I would say, am level 13 so far. I don't feel I'm very near the finish.

It looks really nice, this may be due to me playing on a new screen. I wish they'd added transparency to the HUD though.

It plays really well. The gunplay is back, and my exotic hand cannon reminds me of days gone by (it's amazing in Crucible).

Some of the levels are tough so far. I expect frustration to set in later this evening as I edge on.

The worst bit? Why can't my character walk up stairs?! Without spoilering, there was an end of level that involved steps in a circle, and a shed load of enemies. I was stuck on the stairs so many times that I early rage quit - especially as the mechanic is in the timing.

The worlds are HUGE. They is so much scope for hidden secrets.

I think a lot - probably too much - about how when you hit level 20 in D1 all you got was a single pop-up screen that said ok, go get light. It was terrible, and sums up more succinctly than anything all the things that was wrong with the vanilla game. 

Hitting 20 in this is just brilliant design. Rewards you for what you've already done and makes it completely clear what you need to do after. Really great. 

Solid nine-hour session there. I am a wreck but already itching to get back to it. For reference we've now done about 11 and a half hours and still haven't finished the campaign. 

More noob questions

1) I find kinetic weapons mostly work better against normal grunts - flame power weapons do well too - electric ones are more hit and miss and the void purpley ones seem shit - what subtelty am I missing when it comes to normal enemies

2) If an enemy has a non-red health bar (and sometimes more than 1 like big orange with small white overlay) does that give a hint as to which weapon to use or is it only the glowing shield around them that gives that hint

3) When I level up (only level 3 mind) I tend to spend the point immediately and pick next thing up tree doesn't seem huge choice - does choice open out later and should I be holding onto these points and spending them en masse to make a "build" (thinking of diablo tactics here).

I also need to remember to use the abilities I have like the barrier wall thingy (yes I am a titan , i had no clue what the classes meant so chose the first one) i tend to play it like halo and shoot everything :D

Kinetic weapons do more damage against unshielded enemies than energy weapons. The different elements don't outperform each other - and all a colour match does is make an explosion when the shield pops. So I think it's just the guns you were using/mobs you were shooting that were different, not one element doing more or less damage than another.

Yellow bar enemies have a lot more health, and drop power ammo when they die (and sometimes other stuff too). They also quite often have shields, which is that white overlay. Shoot the shield with the same colour energy as the shield to make an explosion when the shield pops. Then switch to kinetic after the shield's gone, which is an evolution of the Halo shuffle. 

Save your points if you don't want the next available thing. You can skip it.

1 minute ago, Gorf King said:

Kinetic weapons do more damage against unshielded enemies than energy weapons. The different elements don't outperform each other - and all a colour match does is make an explosion when the shield pops. So I think it's just the guns that you were using/mobs you were shooting that were different, not one element doing more or less damage than another.

Yellow bar enemies have a lot more health, and drop power ammo when they die (and sometimes other stuff too). They also quite often have shields, which is that white overlay.

Save your points if you don't want the next available thing. You can skip it.

yeah I was testing the energy weapons against some drek (cos they arent much of a danger so I can swap weapons etc) and found the three different elements did different damage despite being saem attack rating of 37 ish - Now I am guessing it is cos fo rate of fire.. the purple had 900 fire rate so it was doing far less poer hit but could hit more?

Anyway got it.. kinetic to take down grunts - energy to take down shields (colour match for bonus booms)

the last big bad guy I took dwon with my shield bash special whcih i saved as it seemed easier :D - not so easy when it ran out and I was surrounded by grunts

Just now, Gorf King said:

Yeah, RoF makes a difference, as do range (and hence damage falloff) and accuracy; and how many crits you're hitting makes the biggest difference of all.

yeah that is one thing I recall from my brief time with the first game with kinetic I am going for headshots all the time.

ta from the advice I am trying to learn quick  (well slow I am only lvl 3 and nearly everyone I see online is way ahead :D

One thing I should point out in case it's not clear (it might not be, reading your post before that one): 'Attack' isn't the base damage each shot does. That's Impact. So the damage per shot is impact, and the rate of fire multiplied by that determines the damage over time (assuming equal range, accuracy etc). Attack is actually another modifier - the one that affects how you perform against higher-level enemies. Basically, everything has a Power rating (e.g. recommended Power for strikes is, I think, 140), so if you're under 140 you do less damage and take more damage against a 140-power enemy. 

So Attack is really 'level' by another name. The actual base damage per shot is Impact. If you were comparing guns based on Attack that would be a mistake, as higher Attack doesn't mean one gun does more dmg per shot than a lower Attack gun. A higher Attack on a gun just means that gun will deliver 100% of its dmg to mobs at a higher level than the other gun. And the gun is only one factor in determining your overall Power anyway (along with all other equipped weapons and armour) - it's really your overall Power that counts.

If that makes sense.

My boy phoned me at work - Dad, can I play Destiny 2?

At least I'll get a Warlock levelled up without having to play it.

Something he noticed:

Spoiler

When starting a new character, he deleted my imported Warlock and said it would only let him choose to start a new Warlock, he couldn't pick Titan or Hunter. Have they stopped you having multiples of the same class?

Edit - ignore that, he's stupid. But we knew that from him picking Warlock.

Edited by berties paw

Hello,

We intended to deliver your order XX-XX-XX on Wednesday, 6 September 2017.

We’re sorry to tell you that there may be a delay in delivering your order. Please allow an additional day or two for the parcel to arrive.

We pride ourselves on meeting our promises and apologise for letting you down this time. Our priority is to get your parcel to you as soon as possible.

To amend your order or view your tracking details at any time, please visit ‘Your Orders’ in Your Account or click https://www.amazon.co.uk/your-orders

We hope to see you soon.

Regards,

Customer Service Department 
Amazon.co.uk

:(

Rinsed the story mode. That's a huge top-quality single player campaign which I'd recommend to anyone who has ever Halo'ed. That's excluding all the other bells and whistles like strikes, raids, side missions, MP etc to get stuck into.

3 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Rinsed the story mode. That's a huge top-quality single player campaign which I'd recommend to anyone who has ever Halo'ed.

Does that extend to the enemy AI? I'm not interested in multiplayer or online at all, but a great campaign with Elite AI and I would be all over it.

They sometimes do like a bit of a duck and a weave and the shields down dance is very familiar, but because of the lack of a say, Legendary mode, most of the time I was overlevelled and overpowering enemies through having better guns than them. The scale and pacing would be very familiar though.

4 minutes ago, tnman said:

Anyone having issues with Crucible matchmaking (on Xbox)?

It's deathly slow to the point of not being able to play a single match. 

The one time I tried it it took ages to find a match. That was on PS4.

I then managed 0 kills in the match.

• Uncle Mike changed the title to Destiny 2: Season of the Seraph. More Rasputin, new Dungeon.