IGNORED

Destiny 2: Season of the Haunted. Solar refresh, more Leviathan.

Uncle Mike

1 hour ago, Garibaldi said:

Having just started Destiny 2, as I noticed it was now free to play, it’s intriguing to me how polished the combat feels next to what a garbled mess the story is. Seriously, there’s next to no effort spent on telling you wtf is going on. It’s just like ‘Here’s the slimmest background, now go kill some mans, yeah?’ 

I don’t know if it’s because I’m locked out of portions of the story or what. I might be tempted to do some background reading, but from what I’ve heard the lore is so dense at this point that’s it’s inadvisable to even try. 

The games current F2P model has basically cut the earlier story based campaigns almost completely which makes the game very difficult to join as a newcomer (doesn’t do a great job of introducing the various ritual based mechanics which is about all the FTP content is these days).

Whilst the original games main campaign didn’t make a huge amount of sense (they later retrofitted into two different plot cycles which helped) the expansions since The Taken King all actually tell a fairly consistent narrative.

The problem is you can’t play anything pre Shadowkeep these days and that would make little sense if you hadn’t played D1 and understood the context.

Forsaken was a good jumping on point for newcomers but that’s gone now too.

If you are enjoying it however Beyond Light and the latest expansion Witch Queen are both excellent and not too reliant on knowing vast amounts of the backstory to understand who you are and why you are doing things although inevitably some of the nuance will be missed.

At the end of the day the game is basically go places, shoot things and get more powerful and everything else is just windowdressing.

The Director could do with having a thing you could click on for a 5 or 10 minute recap video - a quick synopsis of where we're at in the plot. The interactive Witch Queen trailer was a step in the right direction, with hotspots you could click for detailed info, but a broader summary that's more console-friendly would be cool.

45 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

The games current F2P model has basically cut the earlier story based campaigns almost completely which makes the game very difficult to join as a newcomer (doesn’t do a great job of introducing the various ritual based mechanics which is about all the FTP content is these days).

Whilst the original games main campaign didn’t make a huge amount of sense (they later retrofitted into two different plot cycles which helped) the expansions since The Taken King all actually tell a fairly consistent narrative.

The problem is you can’t play anything pre Shadowkeep these days and that would make little sense if you hadn’t played D1 and understood the context. 

It’s such a bonkers approach to make the game F2P, but have it’s narrative be so impenetrable if you’re a newcomer. Aren’t we the ones that F2P is aimed at? :lol: 

Thanks for the recommendations, however. I am enjoying it despite only understanding 1/3 of what’s going on. May invest a bit deeper. 

28 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

The Director could do with having a thing you could click on for a 5 or 10 minute recap video - a quick synopsis of where we're at in the plot. The interactive Witch Queen trailer was a step in the right direction, with hotspots you could click for detailed info, but a broader summary that's more console-friendly would be cool.

I’d say that’s an absolute must if they’re intent on continuing with this model of ‘vaulting’ older content. 

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm pretty sure there is something in the director that's akin to an interactive timeline if not an actual interactive timeline.

I’ll have a look for that then. I do rather fear how much catching up I have to do. 

14 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

I’ll have a look for that then. I do rather fear how much catching up I have to do. 

I mean, if you wanna go deep, you can go deep....

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/timeline

Although this timeline does seem to stop about a year ago even though the site is still being updated with lore entries.

You should be fine though. In 7 years and over 3000 hours, I've never had a fucking scooby what's going on.

I missed the last season from burnout. I didn't even finish the story. I really ought to as I've got the deluxe edition technically to review for MHG but how the fuck do you review a game like this? It seems pointless as anyone invested in the game will have laid cash down months ago.

51 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Odd I got in fine at 18:30 when the update finished (6.5gb on Steam).

Opening mission is very small scale Presage. The Leviathan has a 1580 recommended light level. Not sure where the weekly story mission is going to come in but the quest chain you pick up with the artefact has 51 steps.

Pinnacle has gone from Grasps in preparation for the new dungeon on Friday I guess.

Mildly annoyed they’ve reduced the full deluxe version of Witch Queen by 25% but the upgrade is still £35 notes.

Always the way I decided I’d more than likely bail after a season after the last couple of years but really enjoyed season of the risen so thinking I may hang around for year now…

Gone for the season and dungeon pass for now…

The corrupted Leviathan looks very cool. I haven't had a chance to go into the patrol area so don't know how big it is, but this all seems quite substantial for seasonal content. It's pretty impressive for a £10 season pass.

I note that the light requirement for the Leviathan is 1580, but you get boosted to 1570 when you play it. That seems like an odd setup - 1580 seems like it's quite a significant way away. Is the point of boosting to 1570 just to keep players underlevelled for longer, and to keep the game mode challenging?

I think it's to avoid another Black Armory situation where people can't play the content they just paid for on day one (or even week one in Black Armory's case - I stopped playing altogether instead).

I hit the pinnacle cap last season, saved up 20 season pass levels worth of bounties and spent a chunk of time today doing bounties and seasonal challenges to try to get the last row of the artifact mods unlocked and I'm still 12 light under par for Leviathan.

On 24/05/2022 at 10:19, K said:

I'm happy with them reusing assets from previous eras of Destiny. The Leviathan was a pretty cool environment, it makes sense to repurpose it. It would be pushing it a bit if they did this as part of an expansion, but for a seasonal thing, it's fine.

Yep, I'm fine with it too. We aren't going to get a lot of new content in the seasons, that's something that has been obvious for a while. We will get an activity and a new grind around that. The new areas, story missions, maps etc will largely come from the paid expansions. 

They have so many assets now for Destiny - so many areas, planets, weapons etc - that they can be "lazy" and move us through these over time to keep the game feeling fresh. The Leviathan was a great level and I really liked the raid as the demented gameshow aspect and aesthetics were unique to Destiny.

I'm fine with them bringing back content where it's been made to fit with the ongoing story and updated somewhat. They clearly don't have the capacity to give us a Warmind-style expansion every few months and that would likely carry increased cost anyway.

I'm happy for them to use what they have already created, to have us revisiting places and for them to push the story on. We've had about a dozen planets now across D1 and D2. They've got enough there to work with. 

There is an argument that they should refresh the layout of a season - the currency grind, upgrading the war table/hammer etc and the rhythm of doing one new activity and then going back in to Gambit/Strikes/Crucible, but I'm not sure how they can go about that. 

And also, I have been onboard since 2015 and pay for the expansions and seasons, so I'm a) invested and b) relatively comfortable with how the game works. I don't think the game currently works that well as a FTP game and for complete newbies. Some of that is just how these live service games work; some of it is how they have structured the game and cut stuff out. 

1 hour ago, K said:

and to keep the game mode challenging?

It (currently) isn't challenging in the slightest though. ShillUps review of Witch Queen made a general point that the default difficulty is just too low. The only way to make most of the game challenging is to LFG, but most activities don't require any communication whatsoever so it just makes the process of finding people unnecessarily harder. There's plenty of space for just the mindless shooting without thinking (which I really enjoy in an evening to unwind) but there seems very little reason not to offer slightly more difficult options via matchmaking. The legendary campaign showed how much better the game can be when it's raised a notch. I always like the first couple of weeks of a season where there's some jeopardy that you might die.

Edit: Those that have played with me know I'm not great, so I'm not advocating they make it rock hard or anything

The seasonal activity is nice enough - it's another mashup of old ideas but at least it's straightforward.

I initially thought that the Bound In Sorrow quest was bugged at first because I wasn't collecting Vestiges from any activity - of course it was all in the post and I hadn't freed up an inventory slot. 🙃

There are connecting paths from the courtyard to other zones (Pleasure Gardens, Royal Pools) where you can continue finding patrol beacons and things. It would have been nice to have a proper map on the Director so that you knew where you were.

Yes I was getting hopelessly lost last night as some of the bounties and one of the quests require you to go to all the areas of the ship.

I had had a few beers to be fair but the absence of a map is going to be an irritation until you learn the area.

Having done that raid so many times I instinctively know where the dogs and pools were, even where the chests were based on the key description. Felt good.

Having done that raid so many times the moment I have to go underneath to find my way then I’m lost forever and it’s back to orbit. Felt familiar. 

I only ran Leviathan a couple of times back in the day so have no imprinted memories to fall back on.

That said with my addled middle aged brain being what it is even if I’d run it as often as VOG it’s been a while so I wouldn’t have any chance of remembering the layout.

I still manage to get lost playing Preservation if I’m on my own!

Anyone else finding the game to be buggy since the last update? I’m routinely not getting weapon or character previews images appearing on menus, and more than a few times I’ve arrived somewhere for it to just display sound effects and a black screen. Was running perfectly fine before the patch. 

On 25/05/2022 at 11:35, pledge said:

It (currently) isn't challenging in the slightest though. ShillUps review of Witch Queen made a general point that the default difficulty is just too low. The only way to make most of the game challenging is to LFG, but most activities don't require any communication whatsoever so it just makes the process of finding people unnecessarily harder. There's plenty of space for just the mindless shooting without thinking (which I really enjoy in an evening to unwind) but there seems very little reason not to offer slightly more difficult options via matchmaking. The legendary campaign showed how much better the game can be when it's raised a notch. I always like the first couple of weeks of a season where there's some jeopardy that you might die.

Edit: Those that have played with me know I'm not great, so I'm not advocating they make it rock hard or anything

The game in general is in a weird place difficulty-wise. 99% of the game is really easy, with almost everything bar raids being impossible to fail. But then there's a big jump from that to the 1% super-hard stuff where you need to properly tailor your build. I do feel like there's a bit of a middle ground between the two. 

Raids sort of hit that, but require communication and decent teammates. The WQ campaign was a step in the right direction. 

There's also a point to be made that a lot of the hard content tends to be made difficult but just upping how obtuse an enemy's health or by making them one shot you. 

15 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Anyone else finding the game to be buggy since the last update? I’m routinely not getting weapon or character previews images appearing on menus, and more than a few times I’ve arrived somewhere for it to just display sound effects and a black screen. Was running perfectly fine before the patch. 

Yeah - getting into the tower seems to be a random crap shoot now.

On the subject of difficulty it feels like it will be very hard to balance a game around a character having between 0 and 40% (before mods) damage reduction due to the resilience changes.

13 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Yeah - getting into the tower seems to be a random crap shoot now.

After doing some looking up, it seems to be some kind of memory issue. A quick and easy (but apparently temporary) fix was to change your fov to a new setting then change it back. Did that and now everything is fast again and loading as it should. Rebuilding the database also fixes it, but is also temporary. Shall have to see how long it lasts. 

16 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

I have found of you get the blank screen at the tower,  then open your character screen , then go to the director , then fast travel to the section near the gambit guy , and that should fix it . At least it will get you into The tower , you still won’t have weapons showing .