IGNORED

Destiny 2: Season of the Haunted. Solar refresh, more Leviathan.

Uncle Mike

The application on Steam is closing down seconds after I launch it. Don't make me reinstall the whole thing. :( 

E: oh apparently disabling overlays helps. Although I'm pretty sure I don't have any active. I'll also try the "validate game files" thingy.

E: "validate game files" thingy worked!

3 done on legendary solo - boss at the end of 3 was a complete bum though.

Think I was at the end of 4 but got kicked to orbit. Have to do that initial assault bit again 😭

We've been playing through a fair bit (done one additional campaign mission after the first time it sends you out on a strike, and nothing else at all except Legendary campaign missions.)

It's good! The difficulty for the Legendary campaign, where it's applying levelling caps like in a GM, is pitched pretty well IMO. Challenging but not impossible nor a grind against impossible health bars.

Obvs the story itself is pretty patchy, but I'm really enjoying this so far.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

We've been playing through a fair bit (done one additional campaign mission after the first time it sends you out on a strike, and nothing else at all except Legendary campaign missions.)

It's good! The difficulty for the Legendary campaign, where it's applying levelling caps like in a GM, is pitched pretty well IMO. Challenging but not impossible nor a grind against impossible health bars.

Obvs the story itself is pretty patchy, but I'm really enjoying this so far.

Yeah everything's killable - there's nothing sponge, it's more one hit kills annoying as solo. They've nerfed protective light too it seems. If it wasn't for Devour I'd be much more grumpy :D

I did the season stuff as well - but it's very quick to need 1500 power.

6 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

They’ve only gone and fixed the bloody HDR. Looks amazing, I can actually see stuff now. 

Can’t get stuck in just yet but going to put big boy pants on and try Legendary later. 

What are you playing it on? For me it looks worse now on PS5. Blacks look grey no matter how much I fiddle with the settings. 

1 minute ago, DonRumsfeld said:

What are you playing it on? For me it looks worse now on PS5. Blacks look grey no matter how much I fiddle with the settings. 

I'm on PS5 and I dropped the mid point to 35, and upped the peak to 1300, that seems to have sorted it for me. It was too grey/washed out prior to that. 

17 minutes ago, DonRumsfeld said:

Yeah, Reddit is saying something similar for PS5

Honestly think it looks phenomenal on XBSX. Deep blacks but not crushed like it has been for a couple years now. 

Just did a campaign mission that is mostly underground in darkness and it was incredible. 

Mars and the first few missions are quite washed out but think it was a stylistic choice as travelling to some of the previous “where the fuck am I?” crushed blackspots like Scarlet Keep strike and Drifters little area in the tower are now bright and vibrant but not washed out at all. 

I’m on a CX with Dolby Vision with 800 nits and 30 midpoint in-game settings. 

Can’t believe it’s taken them this long to add a player scaled hard mode. The campaign on legendary is so far absolutely cracking. The boss of the mission I mentioned was nerve-jangling sweaty palm Destiny at its best. 

Well shit. I’ve only got as far as clearing the first (rather lengthy) campaign mission but having very recently surfaced from a full play through of Halo Infinite (which I thoroughly enjoyed for the record) this really goes and shows up 343 for the amateur hour copyists they are.

That was a bloody stunning first mission and it looks amazing (Steam version, fairly powerful laptop for the record).

Welcome back Bungie, this appears to be exactly what I was looking for…

1 hour ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

Look what they did to my boy, Protective Light.

At least Gjallarhorn hasn't copped a nerf yet, it straight-up deletes things safely from a distance in the Legendary campaign.

Not for me it doesn't! Those engineers in the first mission needed 3 rockets each to go down and even then it left a sliver of health. I was getting nearly as much damage with the new Hakke rocket launcher that dropped.

Fusions have been curb stomped though. Was using Cartesian and it was like the bad old days of D1 fusions. Sad times :( 

Have to echo the praise for the legendary campaign. Slowly getting through it solo and it's been very enjoyable, if a jolt from the Destiny experience I've gotten used to for the past year of having people argue in my ear about Warmind Cells, me dying in odd places, and invisible hunters while destroying things in a team. That will soon return though. :) 

And, oh, the invisible hunters. I didn't go Void too much pre-3.0, but was I always able to go invisible for seventeen straight seconds? It's the only way I could find reprieve from the boss from level three.

Man the expansion drops a lot of quest stuff on you when you begin. Where’s the update that lets me track more things, Bungie?

I like the dynamic of enemies with Light - it’s bloody scary when you first see a super used against you in a PvE setting!

2/3rds of the way through the campaign. It’s so long! Surely all that Sony money can be spent on more repeatable experiences? 

But did a few missions solo and they were the most stunning things I’ve done on Destiny 1 or 2, the bits I done solo we’re actually way more fun then crashing through everything as a fireteam, the Legend difficulty just about right. Looking at you mission 11. Top tier Destiny.

7 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Man the expansion drops a lot of quest stuff on you when you begin. Where’s the update that lets me track more things, Bungie?

I like the dynamic of enemies with Light - it’s bloody scary when you first see a super used against you in a PvE setting!

I’m determined to ignore everything until I’ve done the campaign (except start the odd Weapon or Bounty administration labour).

Yeah, I'm not touching the Seasonal stuff or anything till I've clocked the Campaign. There is quite a lot, but it seems mostly busywork to level up the crafting bench and the side story.

I do like the way the Legendary Campaign just throws Upgrade Modules at you. I'm drowning in the things.

Yeah, they're way more handy at this stage too. Usually with a new Destiny campaign I just chuck on the highest blue armour that drops but Legendary requires a few upgrades of my masterworked armour to get me safely through. 

The mission with the cunt throwing all the fire at you was definitely made a little easier being able to chuck on some solar resist mods.

I've only played the first mission of the campaign - which is surprisingly long - and it seems great. The Throne world and Savathun's spaceship seem like they owe a lot to the Dreadnaught and the Hive buildings on the moon, but they're nicely intricate and look stunning in places.

I find it a bit weird that the campaign dialogue in Destiny is always so bland and full of cliches when the incidental dialogue and lore texts are often written in such a distinctive, idiosyncratic way. There was a sequence of dialogue from Ikora Rey early on three lines in a row were pure cliche - it's all "The Hive? That can only mean one thing." and "don't say I didn't warn you", that kind if thing. Stock lines of dialogue. And then you get dialogue in the strikes like this:

Caitl: For a soft, squishy man Zavala, you hide some impressive tusk.

Zavala: Thank you.

Which is not exactly great writing, but made me laugh a lot, is unexpected, and is clearly intended to be funny. Lance Reddick's delivery of "thank you" is incredible. The same goes for things like the Drifter's line "let's just say you're in for the biggest gunfight ever to happen in a prison" from Warden of Nothing. The writing seems to be a lot better and more relaxed outside of the campaign (and probably when they're dealing with characters who are more interesting than Ikora Rey).

49 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Yeah, I'm not touching the Seasonal stuff or anything till I've clocked the Campaign

Same, I got a Deepsight Resonance weapon drop when I was turning in my 180-odd bounties (instant level 21 on the season pass and second last row of artifact mods unlocked :ph34r:) and I was like "Nooo, take it away! Making number go up at Altars of Sorrow is for later!"

Same with the

Spoiler

first glaive you craft

, being out in the open in the Legendary Campaign is death, so that's not getting levelled until later either.

@K post reminds me; the decision where the missions are sort of multi-stage and have end of mission chests but then carry on seamlessly for a block of missions is a really nice change. At least, for the first run through. Made it feel a lot like a story game.

But yes, Ikora and Ghost are pretty weak characters for any fun writing I guess. They're not po-faced enough for it to be sometimes amusing like Zavala, and not characterful like Eris or someone. I worry the same will be true for Saladin on the seasonal path. Oh here I am, being Saladin saying to shoot things.

But still, I'm very much enjoying the campaign so far anyway. Savathûn might not be being supported by sneaky enough writers, but at least there's a spark there.

27 minutes ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

Same with the

Reveal hidden contents

first glaive you craft

, being out in the open in the Legendary Campaign is death, so that's not getting levelled until later either.

That weapon is bananas and very fun. I've not taken it off since I got it and it has been great in the campaign. It's long range, it's up close and it gives you an overshield! The ability to  just stab a thrawl in the face if you get caught short reloading is a gamechanger.

Quick PSA

I assumed the additional void grenades were unlocked as part of the campaign but no, apparently there is a needlessly obtuse task of going to visit Ikora who then just gives them to you for some glimmer.

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

2/3rds of the way through the campaign. It’s so long! Surely all that Sony money can be spent on more repeatable experiences? 

One of the tool tips mentioned "Weekly Throne World mission" or similar - so I assume campaign is going to be replayable for a bit

• Uncle Mike changed the title to Destiny 2: Season of the Haunted. Solar refresh, more Leviathan.