IGNORED

Destiny 2: Season of the Haunted. Solar refresh, more Leviathan.

Uncle Mike

The campaign isn't worth your time, really. Nor the lore, which is obviously significantly in the past from a current player's perspective. But the dungeon is quite good fun, and some of the Exotic quests worthwhile. The raid is mostly great, but the last encounter can be a real shit.

Edit: what Hexx said.

The timing on the expansions being removed from Game Pass is pretty unfortunate. The 30th anniversary update launches on the 7th, and Beyond Light etc leaves Game Pass on the 8th. Which is also the day that the Halo Infinite campaign launches. I can’t imagine there are a huge number of Xbox Destiny players* who will want to pay to keep playing the older expansion content when the new Halo launches the same day. 

*I could have ended the sentence there, admittedly. 

5 minutes ago, K said:

The timing on the expansions being removed from Game Pass is pretty unfortunate. The 30th anniversary update launches on the 7th, and Beyond Light etc leaves Game Pass on the 8th. Which is also the day that the Halo Infinite campaign launches. I can’t imagine there are a huge number of Xbox Destiny players* who will want to pay to keep playing the older expansion content when the new Halo launches the same day. 

*I could have ended the sentence there, admittedly. 

Didn't realise that was when the anniversary update was coming. Seems like a big gamble to me. You'd have thought the 30th anniversary stuff would be enough of a carrot for a decent number of Game Pass players to convert to paid, without also needing the stick of threatening to take the bulk of the existing game away from them if they don't. If anything it's likely to have the opposite effect. I've only played it this year because it was on Game Pass, I'd have happily ponied up for the anniversary stuff but I'm not about to pay for old expansions, nor am I particularly interested in getting anniversary stuff in a much smaller game.

Maybe there's some mega discount coming for Black Friday, in which case I suppose I could be persuaded. But it does seem like a strange old decision.

7 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Didn't realise that was when the anniversary update was coming. Seems like a big gamble to me. You'd have thought the 30th anniversary stuff would be enough of a carrot for a decent number of Game Pass players to convert to paid, without also needing the stick of threatening to take the bulk of the existing game away from them if they don't. If anything it's likely to have the opposite effect. I've only played it this year because it was on Game Pass, I'd have happily ponied up for the anniversary stuff but I'm not about to pay for old expansions, nor am I particularly interested in getting anniversary stuff in a much smaller game.

Maybe there's some mega discount coming for Black Friday, in which case I suppose I could be persuaded. But it does seem like a strange old decision.

Presumably it's not entirely Bungie's decision? Maybe the Game Pass people didn't think it was worth whatever they were paying Bungie to have the expansions on the service (assuming this is how Game Pass works from their end). Although not having them on there at all seems like the least desirable outcome, so I would have thought Bungie would have wanted to negotiate to keep them on there, at least until Forsaken is sunset.

Actually, I've just looked it up and Forsaken is free from 7th December, muddying the waters even further with this weird cascade of overlapping start and end dates. Good old Bungie, somehow contriving to make Destiny even more impenetrable than it already was.

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

The campaign isn't worth your time, really. Nor the lore, which is obviously significantly in the past from a current player's perspective. But the dungeon is quite good fun, and some of the Exotic quests worthwhile. The raid is mostly great, but the last encounter can be a real shit.

I mean do I need to complete the campaign to unlock anything before it goes?

I'll probably do it anyway, Destiny campaigns were never overly long.

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I was on PSN chat doing the opening to Shadowkeep when you see

[spoiler]A black pyramid ship is buried on the moon. Ghost goes silent, "That shouldn't be here"[/spoiler]

Lost my shit in excitement that things were finally happening/moving. And then basically nothing comes of it.😆

Dear Bungie,

This Christmas, what I want most in the world is to be one-hit killed by another Hunter ability.

Flux Grenade 

Increased base cooldown from 82 seconds to 182 seconds. 

Increased attached detonation damage from 150 to 250 (one-shot kill in PvP). 

Increased damage vs PvE combatants by 15% (on top of base damage increase). 

Removed projectile tracking. 

Added a small amount of aim assist. 

Increased throw speed by 117%. 

Now sticks to all surfaces. 

As you can see, the Flux Grenade now has a very long cooldown, but it’s a one-shot kill in PvP if you manage to land it. It also hits harder in PvE. As a reminder, the Flux Grenade is currently only available to Hunter Arcstriders.

*tears streaming down cheeks, eyes closed, I turn to heaven and mouth “thank you”*

Does anyone know if the 30th anniversary pack will be one of those things like the expansions that works with both accounts if you're sharing a console or is it going to be like the season passes where each person has to buy it?

Also after 8th December am I only going to need to own Beyond Light for 2 months or will I still need it for acces to Stasis et al? 

Also also it turns out we somehow own forsaken but not Shadowkeep and I know they're being removed but is there anything from them I'll need to own?

Forsaken is going free on the 7th, and will be sunset as of the release of Witch Queen. So definitely not worth buying.

Shadowkeep has some strikes, some crucible maps, and a raid, which are probably the most valuable things. I'm not sure whether it's worth buying Shadowkeep, but it's only £6.50, so probably may as well.

6 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

This is what I'd like to know. Do I need Shadowkeep and Forsaken after they leave Game Pass? I don't want to spend the extra tenner if I don't have to.

I think you only need them for the strikes when they are the Nightfall and the raids and dungeons that are attached to them.

I ended up buying them on Steam when I started playing more on PC and only had Beyond Light so it got annoying. They were buttons mind

Probably no point in buying Forsaken now if it’s going free to play next month before being vaulted.

The only thing is, if you own Forsaken, you get three ciphers to access exotic weapons from the booth, so if you really want some of them, you can effectively pay £6.50 for them. You would have to REALLY want them, though.

15 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Few abilities buffs and nerfs incoming. 

Nothing too major here

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/50829

:blink:

Glad Statsis stuff is getting nerf'd, those poxy Hunter grenades and then breakers are just BS.

And Titan shoulders too, that was a BS move as well, and still a lack of love for Warlocks, but at least we can slap as fast as everyone else...🤕

They'll never stop Crucible from being garbage, for people who already think it's garbage. They can only adjust the vector of the moaning, which is essentially always about everything that's 'not me'. All this stuff ever does is impact the PvE game unnecessarily, because they just refuse to completely untie the two sandboxes. It's endlessly galling really. I mean, there's other classes affected. But speaking for my main, to have a massively increased dodge cooldown in PvE - which has already been nerfed once - just ruins Hunter for me. Especially when you ally it to the grenade regen nerf, that's almost the whole remaining point of high-end PvE Hunter - invisibility - fucked.

It's a whole PvE playstyle, which was already a struggle, taken out as a serious option for high-end PvE. Essentially because people moan in Crucible about use of abilities and - and actually I'm not sure people actually do this for real - Hunters having the temerity to dodge.

If people really want to play a PvP game that's not centred on abilities, go play Halo or something. If you're into 'competitive' shooters that are about balance and not OTT abilities, Destiny's never going to hold a candle to Halo. At the same time, I'm confidently predicting that Halo's online PvE and power fantasy will be positively anaemic compared to Destiny's, because it always has been. I wish Bungie could see which side their bread's buttered on, or else just serve up two completely different dishes. They waste so much potential in both areas with these attempts at 'balancing' the two modes while keeping most of their elements joined at the hip. 

14 hours ago, Gorf King said:

But speaking for my main, to have a massively increased dodge cooldown in PvE - which has already been nerfed once - just ruins Hunter for me. Especially when you ally it to the grenade regen nerf, that's almost the whole remaining point of high-end PvE Hunter - invisibility - fucked.

What am I missing?

The vanish in smoke has gotten 21 seconds faster to regenerate and at it's worst gambler's dodge is 9 seconds slower. Is it really that bad?

It's 7 seconds slower even at Tier 10 mobility. This time last year it took 9 seconds to get that dodge back at tier 10. It'll now take 18 seconds - literally twice as long. And dodges no longer break projectile tracking. You really don't see how that affects invis builds? As for you other point, that's just the base cooldown of that tree. The way you use that in high-end is by going invis, then getting close to enemies and invoking gambler's dodge to get your melee back and going invis again, and since the cooldown of the dodge itself has been doubled in length, that playstyle is fucked. Upping the base invis melee cd from 96s to 75s doesn't make any real difference to that. Like, no-one waited 96s for their invis to come back anyway. They dodged and got it right back.

I mean, a lot of hunter stuff is all about mobility and dodging. No well, no rift, no barricade, it's all about movement. Double the time it takes to get a T10 cooldown on dodge and you've stiffed most of the viability of that playstyle. I'm hoping this is just part of some planned changes - like those upcoming to the void classes - in which the sum of them all makes it viable again. But as published, without remedy, this is a massive set of nerfs. And the thing that sticks all wrong isn't even that tbh. It's that it's supposedly all about PvP balancing, but the hardest hits are taken to PvE activities. Like, who thought Hunters were previously super overpowered in PvE because of all their pesky dodging? Literally no-one in this thread, that's for sure. So I dunno why I'm just stating the obvious here really.

Nerfing the hunter dodge just seems pointless, though admittedly I am Hunter who uses it a lot with Wormhusk so I'm biased. 

But they need to lean in to the class abilities. They just are never going to get a perfect balance or a perfect meta. They seem reluctant to make the three classes proper classes. In D1 they were basically interchangeable bar the jump. 

The class ability was the way around this. Titan have protection, Warlocks have healing and hunters have mobility through a dodge. 

The dodge *is* the best out of the three, but its central to how hunters play. Why create a class that is about dodging, mobility, speed and deftness if you need their class ability that encourages that? 

Why not buff the other class abilities so they get used more? Lean in to the what the other classes are about. Bungie seem to want customisation and builds - talking about them in TWABs, reworking the classes and introducing fragments. The armour on the stats and the supers and skill trees build in to this, as do exotic armour perks. They seem to want to go down that route, in which case, the class ability is probably key to how these classes operate. I'd, personally, have more distinction between them, as they were very vanilla back in the original game, with not much "feeling" different between characters. But if you want perfect balance, well, Halo Infinite has shown you the way to go - you start everyone off with the same two weapons and armour. I don't think you can unleash a massive toybox and also have perfect balance. 

I don't think it helps that Hunters are the most played class either, so things seem much more persistent when it's something belonging to them. 

But Titan and Warlock melee and grenades are so much better than the Hunter's. I can get one-shotted with a Titan shoulder charge or a Warlock void melee. Dawnblade and the Titan fist one put the Hunter's roaming super to shame. 

A lot of complaints in Crucible are just from people getting beaten by something. And something is going to kill you in there. 

Forbes: A Grand Redesign Of Destiny 2’s Paid And Free Models.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/11/22/a-grand-redesign-of-destiny-2s-paid-and-free-models/

Just an opinion piece, but I like this guy's articles on Destiny. It's all logical changes which Bungie may or may not be considering and would, to my mind, undoubtedly would help the game but there's prolly summat I'm missing in it all.

Not sure if desktop Forbes is paywalled. It works on mobile.

I dunno. It reads like a forum post; I don't think this guy has any experience or insight into game development beyond playing shedloads of Destiny, so it's a bit weird to be writing a piece about how Bungie should restructure the economy of their game. Like, how much money does Bungie make from each expansion, over time? How much would they make under his new model? How much would it cost to implement the new cutscenes he wants to be implemented, and what should they stop doing so their writers and artists can start working on them? What would happen if they suddenly jacked up the price of a season by 50% without adding anything new to it? I don't know, and I don't think he knows either. Or at least, he doesn't seem to have made any effort to find out.

• Uncle Mike changed the title to Destiny 2: Season of the Haunted. Solar refresh, more Leviathan.