IGNORED

Destiny 2: Season of the Haunted. Solar refresh, more Leviathan.

Uncle Mike

I wonder how well this is doing commercially since the release of Forsaken? Anecdotally (and in terms of clan numbers online) it seems to me that the vast majority who played vanilla D2 haven't returned for Forsaken. Most of them didn't return after - or during - Curse of Osiris either. Seems it's another case of people binning the game in year one and not buying the year two expansion, same as with Taken King in D1. And just like TTK turned out, Forsaken is vastly better than what went before, and brings not only absolutely tons of new content but improves the existing game no end. It's just a shame that in all likelihood most people won't get to play it properly. As it stands now - raid aside, which I haven't done yet - Forsaken, with a few caveats and little niggles holding it back, may be the best version of Destiny yet. Certainly if Last Wish lives up to expectations it'd be up there with TTK-era D1 in many ways.

But anecdotal evidence and clan numbers might not tell the whole story. Destinytracker.com shows 1.5 million PvP players, and 2.2 million PvE players, yesterday. That's not bad for almost three weeks after Forsaken dropped. I think the biggest previous numbers this year were in June, four weeks after Warmind started moving things in the right direction, when we had 0.5m Crucible Players and 1.1m PvE Players. So basically there's 2 to 3 times that, and massively more than played the broken post-Osiris game (186.6K PvP and 286.1K PvE Players back in mid-April).

I really hope that this time - this time - Bungie read the right things into the post-Forsaken resurgence of the game, and have both the time and the desire to make D3 like TTK- era D1 and Forsaken-era D2 right out of the gate. Because when the game's this good, it's just about the best thing out there, and they must have lost so many players in both vanilla launches due to the game either being unfinished (D1) or abandoning core principles that clearly worked (D2), you'd hope they've learned the lesson by now. It's a real shame that so many people who bought both games never got to see what made them so special simply because both games only turned the dial from 5 all the way to 10 in their second year.

Edit: There's still been a bit of bleed, as on the Sunday after Forsaken's release there were 1.6m PvP and 2.9m PvE Players according to the guy who keeps the destinytracker tracker thread at https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/242900121.

I came back as did most of my gang but there is a huge £55 barrier to entry to do so if you gave up after D2 when frankly it was terrible end game onwards with added shameful antics built in - I didn’t think I would ever go back but as you say it’s just so good to play when it’s working and it doesn’t take much for an addict to lapse...

Hats off to Bungie tho as I thought the game was dead with the player drop off and games like Fortnite, PUBG exploding and the big hitters all coming out soon - you have to wonder how big the game could have been now if it wasn’t such a regression from Destiny for so long.

3 minutes ago, Scruff said:

£55 is nothing to you though Shimmster. You spend more on BBQ temp monitors and hair dye so people don't know you're a ginge.

£55 is a lot to me, it’s a quarter of the cost of the new bbq temp monitor I covert and I don’t dye my hair, I’m slowly going grey so at this rate in 20 years I won’t be a ginge anymore :P

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

If there’s a Whisper carry on the table I wouldn’t mind a piece of that.

And anyone want to grind 2 Clan weeklies? Level 600 engrams apparently then.

Did 2 runs with people for Destiny LFG

Absolutw disaster they were 5 mind behind me getting to rooms - despite saying knew route 

Just undoable 

I got Phoenix Protocol last night, and was loving using it ... until my weapons disappeared:

Later on I was back in the Blind Well with Gorf King. I noticed someone else was using well of radiance, so decided to switch back to the normal dawnblade super. Bye bye super. It was gone. No super bar, and collecting orbs did nothing. 

What a shit show. This is the best and worst state destiny has been in. Best in terms of content and things to do; worst in terms of bugs and glitches, and that bloody slowdown which appears to get progressively worse as time goes on. For some it's making the game unplayable at times. Not fun. 

I like to stick the boot in towards bungo at any opportunity but I’ve never had the game slow down, worst I’ve had is a tiny stutter when it went mental but there was no slow down to follow - are people getting slowdown on original or pro PS4?

I have had chests not spawn esp in the dreaming city bit and there seems to be a huge bug that’s stopping me getting exotics......:hmm:

I’m no good at it, but played my first couple of Gambit games today and it’s great fun. 

Challenge wasn’t killing enemies or banking, it was picking up motes before another player swept in and scooped them up!

Nice change of pace. But back to the Foresaken story for now I guess!

I get slow down @Shimmyhill with a pro. It only happens when an engram drops. It's ridiculous and drops down to low single digits when it happens.

Got the Sixth Coyote today. Doesn't seem that good considering. Only really handy for Arc where the dodge is invincibility frames. Void and Solar just reloads and not sure why you'd need to reload twice in quick succession.

9 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

Cant say I've had guns vanish on me @Thor

What weapon was it that kept vanishing? Might be a bug with that rather than the super, as I notice Ace stayed on screen.

Nah, it's both primary and energy. Ace and the bow I was using would disappear. Leaving the well of radiance for a bit makes the weapons reappear. 

• Uncle Mike changed the title to Destiny 2: Season of the Haunted. Solar refresh, more Leviathan.