Destiny 2: Season of Plunder! Arrrrrc 3.0. Lightfall out 28/02/23

Uncle Mike

Taking the day off for a new release was the best thing - it felt festive. Like, Christmas doesn't start in the evening, you know? You go to bed thinking, well, Taken King starts in the morning; then it's up for a leisurely 8am breakfast and about 9 you log on to see who's in party waiting for the day to begin. At 10am sharp the oohs and aahs start - man, this thing even has cutscenes! It has a narrative! Then you've got that whole day to luxuriate in the glow of the new campaign before the proper grind starts in the evening. Magic.

Unless it was The Dark Below, then you get to luxuriate in the campaign until about noon. But at least with that you knew the new raid would be up at 6pm. Special times.

Sorry to butt in with ultra-newbie stuff, but I just got this via PS+, and I am confused as to how much I have. Was there any previous paid DLC, and is it included? Is the new stuff paid? (I did try Googling this, but that irritating thing happens where the top results are all SEO bait from the likes of the fucking Daily Express)

You've got the base game. What you haven't got are the two year one DLCs - Osiris (crap) and Warmind (decent/good). You also, of course, don't have Forsaken, which comes out tomorrow. You need the two year one DLCs to even be able to buy (well, play) Forsaken. There was a deal on the two Y1 DLCs on PSN - don't know if that's still on. There's also a bundle with everything above if that deal isn't on any more.

5 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Sorry to butt in with ultra-newbie stuff, but I just got this via PS+, and I am confused as to how much I have. Was there any previous paid DLC, and is it included? Is the new stuff paid? (I did try Googling this, but that irritating thing happens where the top results are all SEO bait from the likes of the fucking Daily Express)

You'll have access to all the base Destiny 2 stuff. Anything to do with Mercury (storylines, strikes ect) and Mars (ditto) are DLC - Curse of Osiris and Warmind respectively.

Forsaken is the new big expansion that is due out tomorrow; but you need both bits of DLC to use it.

My wife has Wednesday’s off and is back to work tomorrow, 6pm is terrible time for a new release as even tho I’m off I won’t be able to get a proper go until Thursday :( 

Even worse is that I’m sat on a quest needing 5 heroic strikes and you can’t do them at the moment :facepalm:

2 hours ago, ph0rce said:

Assuming most you are based in the UK, which is what I tend to do, then the new reset time is great, or at worst a big improvement.

10am was a useless time for UK, it meant you had to take a day off work for stuff, whereas now you can just get on it as soon as you get home ( wife / children / work dependent ) & if you still want a day off for it, you can take the next day off & you don't have to wait till 10am to start playing.

Unless you are currently unemployed ( or a filthy student ;) ), I can't see how this is a bad thing.

Agree 100%

Started on the endgame content yesterday. It's great!

The endgame stuff is way better than the campaign. Strikes are better than most of the campaign missions, plus they have co-op matchmaking which is what the campaign sorely needs. The scenarios and environments are brilliant in the Strikes, especially the rock driller one. It really felt like Halo in terms of the scope and setpieces. That Vex one with the vast underground cavern is pretty mindblowing in its visuals. So far the Strikes haven't been too hard, you just save up your Supers and OP weapons for the bosses. The only tough ones are the Legion leader in the airfield, and the end of the Archology one where you are beset with Thralls, Giants and a giant triangle which melts you in seconds.

Strikes aside I've been messing around in the tower with randoms, playing the Floor is Lava, playing pranks and bopping balls around. But the more serious stuff is going back through to do Adventures and new end-game quests. I keep discovering new areas on each world which the campaign skips right over. It really feels like an MMO with the feeling of poking around hidden nooks and finding magnificent new places. I spent a lot of time on Io last night and found a network of underground caverns through various quests, the tree-filled Tangle (beautiful), and the Captains quest which encourage you to explore the ruined colony ship, whose scale and design I'd never appreciated in the campaign due to the rushthrough nature of it.

Even better it's easy to find people to team up with, loads of folk at Level 20 who you can invite and will be looking to do the same quests as you. And taking part in Public Events which are a really nice way to bring players together. It's been a blast. It's fun flying around and helping out newer players too, and still feels challenging enough when you join their missions. I dipped into Crucible for a while too, it's easier now I have decent weapons but I think Supers and OP abilities really spoil it. The PVP level design is no Halo either.

The progression system for endgame is terribly explained, I had to look up online guides to understand it. Even then its overly complex and grindy. But for now I don't mind because it's simply fun exploring and working my way through all the quests. Going to try and level up some more and try for some of the Exotic weapons before I do the first Raid. I'm seeing now why so many people enjoy this game - the campaign is just an appetiser for the real meat of the experience, although I can't see myself grinding out to Level 300.

Yeah no worries. For anyone in Rllmuk clan that I invite, I am not offended by any means if you don't respond/want to join, I just fling out invites at anyone who looks like they ain't in the middle of something. So for Raids, how long do they take, and do you need 4 people? Can I do it with randoms/matchmaking and how essential is voice comms?

You need six, there's no matchmaking, and comms are essential. A first run through might take seven hours or more, spread over multiple evenings. A few weeks later you might be knocking it out in 40 minutes.

I realise that makes it sound like the most tremendous ballache. It is, really, but there's still nothing else quite like it in all of videogames imo. 

Holy crap, I never realised they were such an endeavour. That's impressive. I've heard amazingly good things about them so I'm stoked, but I have no idea how I will organise such a thing unless I can find a group of UK PS+ newbies to play with in the evenings, I guess. Plus you don't want to do it with people who have already done it for your first time, as half the fun is solving the puzzles/experiencing it fresh.

I'm surprised you haven't unlocked it, if you've finished the campaign and opened Strikes (and the Nightfall?) You might just need to have another conversation with Zavala. Or maybe it's there and you can't see it in the new Director (it's a location within Nessus on the map now.)

I can't recall the prerequisite for getting the Raid open.

As for Power level, anything above the entry requirement should be fine. 260 and upwards is all fine. Get a bit higher and some of the majors/bosses and DPS gateways get a bit easier, but the Raids (on Normal) aren't really a question of level so much as competence, teamwork and puzzle solving (the first time.)

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Holy crap, I never realised they were such an endeavour. That's impressive. I've heard amazingly good things about them so I'm stoked, but I have no idea how I will organise such a thing unless I can find a group of UK PS+ newbies to play with in the evenings, I guess. Plus you don't want to do it with people who have already done it for your first time, as half the fun is solving the puzzles/experiencing it fresh.

I’m a PS+ newbie and would be up for going through endgame stuff when I get there if you can wait that long.

Looking forward to giving this a go. I became borderline obsessed with the original at one point, to the extent that I purposely avoided the sequel when it came out as I just didn’t have the free time to get the most out of it. I totally agree with Nate when it comes to raids; the experience of playing through the first one on Destiny with a team of people who hadn’t done it yet is a videogame memory that will be hard to top.

My home internet is terrible at the moment so I am going to have to buy Forsaken on disc - and no doubt have to download a patch right away anyway but their is no costs in Aus for the annual pass which sucks as the only disc I can buy has all the previous stuff on it also. I can't just buy the Forsaken - unless I buy it digitally and that would take around 5 days to download 100Gbps.

@DJ KNIGHT XIII there's quite a few versions of Destiny/Forsaken on the store to cover variants of what you might own already. There's a version with just Forsaken (with or without the Annual Pass and/or extra digital tat) for those that own all the Year 1 content & DLC, and versions that include D2, the Year 1 DLC and Forsaken for those that don't.

But also, I think they're the pre-order ones, and today is the day it's released, so I think possibly the Store needs to be updated with the non-pre-order ones.

10 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Sure Billy, I'll probably wait until we have enough new mukkers for the raid. Just need another 4, erk. Feel free to add me, Jigsawn on psn. And send a request to join rllmuk clan, there are spaces now, see a few pages back for details.

Ive hit endgame too, definitely up for a raid

1 hour ago, Phelan said:

My home internet is terrible at the moment so I am going to have to buy Forsaken on disc - and no doubt have to download a patch right away anyway but their is no costs in Aus for the annual pass which sucks as the only disc I can buy has all the previous stuff on it also. I can't just buy the Forsaken - unless I buy it digitally and that would take around 5 days to download 100Gbps.

Do you not have Vanilla? The disc versions are just D2 with a code for Forsaken, the patch is about 28gb but is needed to play vanilla anyway. If you currently have Destiny 2 installed it will have already come down....

2 hours ago, spanx said:

Ive hit endgame too, definitely up for a raid

I played some stuff when it came out, but never did a raid and now getting back into it (playing through the expansions I've missed). Might be up for a raid if 1. I can find a headset somewhere and 2. Being a bit shit isn't a barrier to entry.