rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2: Season of Opulence. No raid spoilers please.

It might be true - or might have been when the rumour came out. I get the impression that Bungie change tack a fair bit at critical junctures, and I'm sure they've seriously considered or actually headed down a lot of different directions before changing course. The series is pretty famous for it, and for the late reboot, and I think it's a big part of the reason I've come to accept that Destiny releases will always have something like a 50/50 hit rate for me. With the recent split from Activision I think it's fair to say that whatever comes after the annual pass is going to take a very different form from what we saw in the first four years. I just hope it's not too much like this year five annual pass thing, at least in content, because now we're almost 2/3 through that, the lack of proper new PvE content - just stuff like new strikes and story missions - is really dragging it down for me. The last raid was the exception, and it was excellent, so I'm a bit apprehensive about next releases's raid being set on the Leviathan again.

I think in many ways Destiny's been a victim of Bungie's ambition to do everything that's possible in a game. If anything, over the years there's been too much variety. It's tried to be a PvE shooter that appeals to occasional players, as well as hardcore grinders, while at the same time offering ambitious and challenging team-based raids, cater for casual PvP fans, and (in the form of Trials) far more competitive ones. And obviously it's had big puzzle-solving and mystery elements (that ended up dipping so far into obscurity they almost indefinitely stalled an entire release), occasionally it's been a racing game, and increasingly we've seen it embrace wave-attack modes. And of course, it's now got PvPvE entrenched in it already in the form of the two Gambit modes. So although it wouldn't surprise me to see them expand that concept (they certainly seem keen on it), I'm hoping they don't as it brings the issue of 'balance' even more to the fore than it is in pure PvE/PvP modes that are based on the same weapons and abilities. And that has always, always been a problem for the game. It'd become an even bigger one if they tied PvP more closely to PvE.

But this is Bungie, so fuck knows. Tassi, though, doesn't even know the source of the old rumour he's reporting, which is another thing, and several changes of direction and one split with Activision ago. By now they've probably reimagined the series as a sword-based slash-em-up on horseback. Charge of the Light Brigade, or something.

My reliable and well-informed sources tell me the latest rumour is that Destiny 3 will only be PvP. And to make up for the loss of assistance from other studios, Bungie are hiring BioWare to develop the investment and loot aspects of the game, and Massive to write its ambitious and engrossing story. Bungie devs will be concentrating solely on the difficult problem of how to replicate the successful formula of Fortnite - the very similar game all its fans abandoned it for - whilst maintaining the complete inability of Warlocks to land anywhere near the spot they were aiming for when they jump off anything, even a small kerb, let alone a moving aeroplane.

Destiny 3 will be released one month after Brexit and run at 120Hz on all formats, except for Xbox One, which will be limited to 30, and Xbox One X, which will be limited to 10, due to a secret deal with Sony which actually loses them money and makes them look stupid but Bungie hate Microsoft so very much so why the fuck not. 

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 1

TWAB

Arc Week

This week at Bungie, we’re getting ready for some high voltage.  

A storm is brewing. Next week, we’ll kick off what we’ve been calling Arc Week. Our goal for this happening has been to take the element that makes our sandbox crackle and put it under the microscope. The most noticeable update is that we improved many Arc subclass paths from the time before Forsaken. The week will also feature Arc Singe and Arc Bounties to synergize with your updated abilities. To provide a proving grounds for all this new energy, Mayhem will be available in the Crucible to let you experiment with your enhanced Arc abilities using shockingly short cooldowns. 

Arc Week will also feature one of the most powerful Arc weapons ever created, the Thunderlord Exotic Machine Gun. If you weren’t able to complete the quest to obtain Thunderlord last year, you will have from April 9 to April 23 to revisit the Cosmodrome and add it your collection. 

Arc week seems to just be tweaks (some of them pretty significant) to subclasses, and a running arc singe modifier throughout the week along with bounties to go along with it (subclass changes in spoiler below).

Spoiler

Striker Code of the Juggernaut (Bottom Path)

Notes: This path is all about punching enemies to get better at shooting them and shooting enemies to get better at punching them. We want to further incentivize engaging in this loop and make doing so move visible and flashy. Shooting an enemy should make you feel like you are primed to strike with melee. Punching an enemy and releasing your rage will make you feel like a more focused shot.

Frontal Assault:

Now increases all weapon damage for the duration of the buff

25% against combatants

20% against players

Duration increased from 10 to 16 seconds

Buff timer is now displayed on the HUD

Knockout:

Melee damage bonus increased from 25% to 60%

Now also triggers once you have dealt 60% damage to a target

Any damage done after 60% will refresh the timer

Still also triggers off shield pop

No longer consumed after 1 melee attack

Duration increased from 3 to 5 seconds

Arcstrider Way of the Warrior (Top Path)

Notes: This path thrives on striking with precision and timing and is heavily melee focused. To enhance this loop, we are giving it a bit more nuance with a higher potential payout. We want to allow for more room to execute and engage with both the path to success and the benefits once you do succeed.

Combination Blow

Bonus melee damage can now be stacked 3 times (requires a melee ability kill for each stack)

Buff increases melee damage by 60% per stack in PvE 

Buff increases melee damage by 22.7% per stack in PvP

For comparison, this ability used to be 1 stack and increased melee damage by 50%

Kills with this ability now heal 40 health in addition to starting health regen 

Deadly Reach:

Increased buff duration from 6 to 8 seconds 

Buff is no longer consumed by a melee hit

Arcstrider Way of the Wind (Bottom Path)

Notes: This path is about quick movement and thriving under pressure. We want to increase your ability to survive while at low health and enhance your elusiveness so you can be more confident when in danger. This way, you don't just get a bonus when you’re injured, you have more control over what state you are in, and you can make more risk/reward choices.

Disorienting Blow:

Increased the disorient distance by 50%

Increased duration of disorient on players from 1.5 to 2 seconds

Focused Breathing:

Increased dodge recharge bonus while sprinting by 100%

Combat Meditation:

Increased bonus grenade and melee regeneration while bloodied by 25%

Lightning Reflexes:

Increased damage resistance while dodging from 25% to 40% in PvP

Increased damage resistance while dodging from 63% to 70% In PvE

Stormcaller Stormtrance Super (Top and Bottom Path)

Damage scales up to 150% over 5 seconds of continuous use of the attack

Updated FX and audio to support this functionality

Stormcaller Attunement of Conduction (Top Path)

Notes: This path focuses prominently on chain lightning, but we also want to better sell the fantasy of being a god of erratic and dangerous energy. We want you to be delighted and surprised by the chaos you cause. On top of that, we should make the choice of using your abilities something to better strategize around, and reward you for doing so.

Chain Lightning Melee

Can now chain up to 5 times, up from 1, and each individual target can be hit twice

Chain damage decreased from 50 to 31 damage per chain hit

Arc Web

Can now chain to many (many) more targets, and back and forth between targets

The amount of chaining varies based on use, and I will leave it to you all to discover!

Increase chain range from 10 meters to 12 meters

Chaining Arc damage now reduces the cooldown of your grenade

Works with Arc Web chains and chains from Chain Lightning Melee

Earn 3% energy per instance of chain damage in PvE

Earn 10% energy per instance of chain damage in PvP

Stormcaller Attunement of the Elements (Bottom Path)

Notes: Currently this path focuses on creating drone buddies for allies and staying close to them to dish out more Rifts and the buddies therein. Generally, Arc drone is short-lived, and you need to stay close to your Rift to keep it around. Now you will be able to take your pal further and, if you stick with friends, will be able to have it around much more often, making this path more potent as support.

Electrostatic Surge:

Increased bonus regeneration rate of Rift by 600% per nearby friendly Guardian

This sounds insane, and it’s a big boost you will definitely feel, but it was previously very low.

Extends Rift duration from 15 to 20 seconds

Added a UI notification for when the buff is active

Arc Soul:

Extended duration by 50%.

Now let’s talk about some non-Arc Changes, as well…

Voidwalker Nova Warp Super

Notes: Clearly we swung a bit hard when we hit this previously. This should serve as a nice middle ground to settle into.

Reduced initial charged detonation energy cost by 20%

Reduced energy cost of holding the charged detonation by 7%

Reduced time required to fully charge the charged detonation from 0.9 seconds to 0.7 seconds

Reduced Dark Blink cost by 20%

Increased base Super duration from 18 seconds to 22 seconds

Dawnblade Everlasting Fire Perk

Notes: Similar to the Striker, we wanted to make sure this perk didn’t allow for infinite Supers in certain activities. We’ve increased the amount you get back upfront but put diminishing returns on it so you can’t go forever. This will still be a Super you can extend much longer with skill.

Tuned the amount of Super gained from Everlasting Fire

Initial return increased from 10% to 13% Super energy

Return then decays linearly over the course of 30 kills from 13% to 0.75% returned per kill

You may be asking “What about Spectral blades???”

We know it’s out of bounds and are working right now on a few tweaks to bring it back in line. We’ll let you know the details once we’ve finished play testing and tuning to lock in on what the changes will be

Next week, Update 2.2.1 will be deploying on April 9. Here is a preview of some changes you can look forward to along with the Arc Week rollout.

Catalysts

Four new Exotic weapon catalysts will be available to drop in Nightfall, strikes, and the Crucible

Prospector (Nightfall, strikes)

Rat King (Nightfall, strikes)

Hard Light (Nightfall, strikes)

SUROS Regime (Crucible)

Warlock Bloom Ability

Fixing an issue where the Bloom ability would not deal damage

Xûr

Xûr’s inventory will now offer random-rolled perks for armor

Infusion

Fixing an issue where the Vow could not be infused above 650

Fixing an issue where the BrayTech RWP Mk. II could not be infused above 600

Gambit Prime Weapons

Most Gambit Prime weapons will now have a chance to drop as match completion rewards from Gambit Prime

Increasing drop rates for Gambit Prime weapons from the Reckoning

Both Gambit Prime and the Reckoning will have increased drop rates for weapons after each completion without a drop until players are guaranteed a reward

Gambit Prime

An invasion kill will heal 8% of the Primeval's health, down from 12%

The invasion portal cooldown time during the Primeval phase will be increased to 40 seconds, up from 30 seconds

This cooldown triggers after a player has been killed or successfully returns from an invasion

Gambit Prime will now count to unlock the Weekly Gambit Clan Engram

Quests and Bounties

Power Surge Bounties that have been deleted or expired will now be available on the Drifter

Each bounty can still be completed only once per character

Yes Sir, I'm a Closer Weekly Gambit Prime bounty will now award 4 points for a win and 2 points for a loss, with a completion value of 20 points

All 4 weekly role bounties for Gambit Prime now grant powerful helmet rewards

On the subject of PVP - It aint going anywhere:

One more thing before we close This Week out. There have been a lot of questions about the future of the Crucible in Destiny, and what plans we have to support PvP going forward. Yesterday, we let you know during a stream that we have no plans to remove PVP from the Destiny franchise.

A lot of feedback on Crucible and how it could improve comes in the form of suggested sandbox changes that would impact the flow of combat in PvP. As you can see from the section above, we are still committed to updating the sandbox as frequently as we can, and we have an update going out next week.

We have bigger Crucible changes being planned for later this year, but we aren’t ready to talk about those plans just yet. We hope to share more with you sometime this summer. In the meantime, we will continue to provide updates to matchmaking, QOL fixes, Sandbox balance, and Glory changes.

I'm assuming the complete lack of replies to this thread post-TWAB indicates that most forumites are like myself? By which I mean, the reaction to 'Arc Week' as an event is a resounding: meh.

• Upvote 1

The thing about Arc Week is it's not really an event*. I mean, the event itself is simply lots of things having Arc singe, which isn't that much of an event. The big thing about Arc Week is the big buffs to some Arc supers, and they're permanent rather than time-limited. Which has led to some wags calling Arc Week 'Patch Notes - The Event'.

But yeah, not a lot of people are bothered right now because the content right now is basically Gambit, or Gambit-focused, and I guess a fair few people don't want to log in just to play Gambit / Reckoning and nothing else new. Apart from maybe the Xür thing for 30 mins a week if you're that bothered about the lore. You could always do stuff to get your power up to the new max, but there's nothing you need it for, so why bother? The numbers in themselves are meaningless if there's no destination, like a raid or something.

Like Mike, I have my doubts about the next raid too. Partly because Leviathan. But mainly because it's just getting harder to get a genuinely blind raid team together early doors - it's always a rush/struggle to get power up quickly enough, and there's a lot of time commitment needed for that and the intensive raid runs themselves. You really need an enthusiastic team with a lot of time to pool together lots of nights a week, and as we get older that gets rarer. Guess we'll see.

* Except for the fact that it's bringing back a Thunderlord quest thing for anyone who missed it first time around. I know at least one person who did, and who's likely to log on again just for that.

I read one rumor that mentioned there wasn't going to be any Taken King/Rise of Iron/Forsaken-level expansion for Fall of this year, with another year of smaller content updates replacing it. If that's true, and I sincerely hope it isn't, then I will see you all in 2020 for Destiny 3.

3 hours ago, Gorf King said:

* Except for the fact that it's bringing back a Thunderlord quest thing for anyone who missed it first time around. I know at least one person who did, and who's likely to log on again just for that.

Now what fucking idiot didn't get it the first time around? :coffee:

I hear that even some Sweet Businesses go into receivership.

1 hour ago, lewismistreated said:

I read one rumor that mentioned there wasn't going to be any Taken King/Rise of Iron/Forsaken-level expansion for Fall of this year, with another year of smaller content updates replacing it. If that's true, and I sincerely hope it isn't, then I will see you all in 2020 for Destiny 3.

I think that's inevitable. Maybe the first drop of the Y3 pass will have a bit more oomph, but there's no way they can do a full-on TTK/Forsaken release for September - it's just too much diminishing returns (think about how few D2 players actually played Forsaken at all - easily the best thing they ever created). They have to concentrate on developing a completely revamped, start-from-scratch title to get the buyers back in for the all-new indie version of Destiny. Think lots of 'this is what the game was always meant to be' PR. Given the ups and downs of D2 (and D1 for that matter) it's the obvious thing to do.

Hopefully they'll be able to launch with something like TTK/Forsaken this time, rather than build up to it over 12 months.

6 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I think most of us have "drifted" away for this season. I assume I'll return for the next raid, but maybe not. 

I haven't played the season of the drifter at all yet.

The week before it launched I decided I was a bit over the game. Felt like it was the same content all the time and that they were pushing more towards PVP - which is my least enjoyable aspect of the game.

7 hours ago, tnman said:

I'm assuming the complete lack of replies to this thread post-TWAB indicates that most forumites are like myself? By which I mean, the reaction to 'Arc Week' as an event is a resounding: meh.

Encouraging players to dip into classes that they perhaps don't play as much is a nice idea I think, and if they do different elements regularly as part of the Mayhem rotation that's a nice way to jazz it up a little. I do find Arc a bit meh though as I'm not a big fan of Arcstrider, I guess it's a good opportunity to try out the Titan and Warlock Arc classes! 

I'm enjoying chasing 700 light level as it is the sort of OCD thing that always appeals to me but I just don't care about or indeed play Gambit or its Prime version, this bit of DLC has been seriously underwhelming I enjoyed the back armory content much more.

16 hours ago, Phelan said:

I haven't played the season of the drifter at all yet.

The week before it launched I decided I was a bit over the game. Felt like it was the same content all the time and that they were pushing more towards PVP - which is my least enjoyable aspect of the game.

I'm the same, I don't think I've booted it up since Christmas. Gambit's always been a bit meh for me.

• Upvote 1

Patch today - Arc week, as I posted previously. However, something was apparently missing from the patch notes, according to dmg04:

50 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

"Stop killing bosses with the good guns" intensifies.

I feel like they haven't learned in the slightest.

I have about 380 cores anyway, but I still think they're shit and shouldnt be in the game.

The nerf to Wardcliff is, as usual, because they over-buffed it in the prior patch, just like they over-nerfed Novawarp (which has also been partially reverted).

Baby steps.....:rolleyes:

So the Revelry then:

“Spring is in the air, Guardians! It’s time to kick up your heels, celebrate, and break a few rules! The people of the City love this time of year, and I wanted to share their joy with you, my good friends. Come to the Tower. Smell the flowers. And revel in all we have together.”—Eva Levante

Abilities and Orbs

The Revelry is a chance for every Guardian to break the rules about how Light is wielded as a weapon. When you first visit the Tower, Eva Levante will grant you a Reveler’s Tonic. Fill your tonic with Reveler’s Essence by killing bosses in the Verdant Forest or completing other activities. Three different tonics will reduce the cooldown of your grenades, melee, or class ability. Choose which buff you prefer and let the sparks fly.

The more pieces of Inaugural Revelry or Vernal Growth armor you equip, the more potent the tonic will be. The powerful effect applies to every activity in the game except Private Matches. Revelers will even be more dangerous in the Crucible.The Reveler’s Tonic is not the only way you’ll increase your output of space magic during this event. Everywhere in the game, Orbs have the chance of being generated by precision kills. The best place to create tons of Orbs will be in the Verdant Forest, as that's where they'll drop most often. 

Rewards

The Revelry will feature the new Inaugural Revelry armor set. You can earn pieces of this set by defeating bosses in the Verdant Forest. The more bosses you defeat, the greater your chances to receive a drop. Eva will also have five weekly bounties that award Inaugural Revelry armor as a powerful drop. Each piece of the set you equip will boost the effect of your Reveler’s Tonic.

You can also turn in the Reveler’s Essence you earn through activities to Eva in exchange for packages containing assorted rewards, including world drops, Enhancement Cores, and ornaments for the Inaugural Revelry helmet.

Each ornament will grow in size depending on how many pieces of Inaugural Revelry or Vernal Growth armor you have equipped.

Are you in need of some extra firepower? Complete Triumphs and turn in Reveler’s Essence to Eva to earn a new Exotic Kinetic Fusion Rifle, Arbalest. It’s the first weapon of its kind and does extra damage against enemy shields.

The Revelry begins on Tuesday, April 16.

The Revelry ends on Tuesday, May 7.

If anyone cares, that is.

• Upvote 1

Don’t read this thread as much as I used to. Glad that Bungie's update writing style still makes me want to claw my own face off. Is it Deej or one of his padawans?

• Upvote 2

I can safely say that the prospect of grinding out boss kills to temporarily reduce my grenade / melee / class ability cooldown is not particularly tempting me back again.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, K said:

I can safely say that the prospect of grinding out boss kills to temporarily reduce my grenade / melee / class ability cooldown is not particularly tempting me back again.

That sounds like hell.

Another reason to not go back.

I'm away to play some Division 2 at least it's fun and a bit silly.

Within two posts an event that gives you speedier ability and super regeneration by playing a variety of activities - including a time attack mode - and new bosses that drop special armour, has transformed into a grindathon that sounds like hell. As opposed to which it's preferable to play a game that is definitely not a non-stop grind for gear drops and power. Because shooting aliens in the head in Destiny is not just no fun compared to shooting endless waves of enemies of democracy in beanies, the idea of getting immediate power boosts in a fantasy forest sound like pure torture and altogether too serious. 

:lol: