rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2: Season of Opulence. No raid spoilers please.

Gambit Prime and Reckoning are interesting inclusions although the latter seems pretty tricky for me right now!

I think the synths are my favourite part of the whole thing; they help establish roles and reward players for doing the thing that they're good at. I end up with a few collector synths whilst fireteam regular @pixelcult does a lot of invading. :) 

Top tier (Threat Level/Ikelos) Shotguns still top tier, but not by as much now according to Datto, who did a load of testing in pve on Kalli:

Lord of Wolves beating Acrius on crit damage by about 10k dps is quite a surprise. I've never liked it as it hit like a wet noodle at short range, but maybe its good now?

The Whisper, Sleeper and Thunderlord nerfs are what I dont like. They've essentially held me off going back to Destiny as they were the "fun" guns in the power slot, and they've essentially nerfed the fun. Datto's next video will be interesting to watch.

Win 10 users check your latest updates for KB4482887 and uninstall.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4482887/windows-10-update-kb4482887

After installing KB4482887, users may notice graphics and mouse performance degradation with desktop gaming when playing certain games, such as Destiny 2.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

As a short-term resolution, users can uninstall KB4482887 to regain performance.

Should point out Xur is actually selling Forsaken exotics right now! He's in the Hangar at the tower.

Here's what he's got:

Trinity Ghoul - Arc energy bow

Ophidian Aspect - Warlock gauntlets

Oathkeeper - Hunter gauntlets

Ursa Furiosa - Titan gauntlets

• Upvote 1

Ursa Furiosa gives you the right to bear arms so yes, you need it. 

Just realised I misread but I love that joke so I’m leaving it. 

Aspects sort of buff a lot of things without really tangibly buffing anything. There are much better lock exotics, it’s the kind of thing you use until you get something proper. Oathkeeper is for people who use bows in PvP which is everyone obviously. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

If I'm a Titan main, occasional the other two, do either of those exotics warrant me logging in? I obvs have all the Titan stuff.

Probably not. Just kick back, make yourself a cuppa and know that you're the best main.

Ophidian Aspect's are pretty good, though.

Obviously, the other one's a Hunter exotic. Everyone knows what Hunters are like at this point, surely?

• Upvote 1

Huh 
I think upgrading synthesiser was a mistake 
The spec bounties need you to win when you use the highest notes you can make 
Second tier of reckoning (where you use the upgraded motes) is 670

5 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

If I'm a Titan main, occasional the other two, do either of those exotics warrant me logging in? I obvs have all the Titan stuff.

The fact I made no comment after simply posting them should have told you enough surely Mike. I mean, yeah I have them all anyway, but have you ever seen me use either of the other 2 on my Hunter/Warlock? The answer to that should obviously be no, because they're shite.

Well, Ophidians is "ok" I guess, but there are better options now. You wouldnt use either of them outside of PvP anyway.

Glad Its not just me that thinks this season is a bit meh:

I dont usually like Houndish's vids, but to be fair this ones pretty spot on.

Fuck that D-grade Matthew McConaugheyalike. Vanguard for LIFE.

I dunno. Weird part of my brain feels like Bungie picked up a couple of the Telltale staff after that studio imploded. A lot of "Drifter will remember this choice" vibes. The change in dialogue that you get in Gambit matches is a nice touch though, and the quest is relatively straightforward... but it's all a bit lukewarm, which pretty much sums up this season overall.

I picked Vanguard (gamer friends didn't because they suck) - stuff the edgy dodgy as hell drifter.

I didn't think it was that obvious where the terminal/agent/bugs are to be plantted. Still it's something and gives the illusion of story momentum.

You pair of squares! :P

I picked up both yesterday but didn't get too far in. Overall though I'm enjoying both the new game modes and the new tiebreaker in standard Gambit. Plus the new Prime SMG shreds so there is that. :)

If normal gambit makes it to the 3rd round, both teams start that 3rd round with a primeval spawned in straight away and everyone's super is up from the get go. 

I've not even logged on to play new Gambit after a bunch in my clan were very negative about it. One of the clan wrote this:

So, I've given it all a go and...I'm less than thrilled. I was hoping for something new, but what this is...is weak. Maybe that's just the power level (and I will look at this again when characters don't get crunched as easy as they do now).

Here's my TL;DR:

A. Gambit Prime is shit
B. Reckoning is great
C. There is no story, which is...terrible
D. This update is built for teams of 4 - no team? Good luck.
E. Nerf City, Population: All your favourites

Here's my nerd gland:

A. Gambit Prime is a less balanced, more frustrating Gambit. It's all the less-fun parts of Gambit, with 10,000% of the bullshit added. No matter what you do, banking motes doesn't matter. Invading is the whole point of GP, and if you can't defend being invaded, your whole game is stunted. It doesn't make it any shorter, because THE RUBBER BANDING makes it almost impossible to kill the Primeval without serious combo-ing. Think Last Wish witch encounters, except throw in another PvP player whose job it is to kill you and heal the witch. All the previous burn methods hardly make a dent, and each kill will regen a whole eighth of the health. I tested a few times about it, and twice I sat back and did nothing but stand at the bank and kill the occasional blocker. They had their Primeval and we had only banked 10 motes. Still ended up running out the clock because banking motes doesn't matter. No need to do it fast. No need to hurry, because the enemy will have to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to kill their bad guy. Even if you are working super-hard at the objectives it won't matter because invaders will work you over and put you back to square one. It's unbalanced. It's frustrating. It's just not "fun". Whereas a whole team wipe was something to strive for in Gambit, in GP it's a common occurrence. They wipe you, you wipe them, and then the clock runs out...until the last minute and for some reason all the Primeval damage that does nothing for 10 minutes suddenly kicks in and you wipe it in 3 seconds. GP is literally about troll-invading the other team as hard as you can, and it's a heap of shit.

B. Reckoning is great. It's like a fun version of Blind Well that you can do over and over again for rewards you can scale up. It's just annoying that you need to do GP before heading to Reckoning. Best thing about Reckoning is that you MUST work together, and move around the map TOGETHER. It's a teamwork thing, and not too difficult to work out. You can find a rhythm and get there no problem, and it's a fun space. I look forward to future levels, and my only concern is that all I'll get out of it is stupid GP shit.

C. Look, I know that Destiny has never been about the story, but there's just...nothing here. No intro. No cut scene. Nothing. It's bullshit. Don't time-gate this shit. That worked for visiting the Queen but give me SOMETHING of a reason straight away. You didn't have a story for the Forge's and that sucked the fun out of the background. Same here. Everyone WANTS something cool, but there's just...nothing, yet. I know there's more to come, but GIVE ME A 2 HOUR CAMPAIGN, and then do your time-gated story conclusion. Just don't dump me into sweaty bullshit PvEvP and tease weird shit. Give me a reason to come back to it without going "It's gonna be cool!". By the time I get back to it it's all going to be spoiled anyway. What's the shit we want? New planets. New strikes. New cut scenes. Duh fucking duh.

D. The power cap may have increased, but good fucking luck getting there without story missions or going solo. And that sucks. It's hard enough finding the time to play games these days, but finding more than one other person to play with regularly? I mean, come ON! This expansion is built for a team of four with excellent communication and defined roles. If you aren't willing to open your mic and converse with others, then this game is going to stop dead at GP. In Gambit, everyone got a chance to do something, and contribute in a meaningful way. In GP if you deviate from your role (even by accident) you have screwed your team. Or if you're bad at your role, you will probably screw your team. Or you're not even bad, the game will just fuck you over because the Taken lag-skip and invaders pop up fucking constantly (sorry, I'm back to hating on GP). 4-stacks can crush these new modes. Random matchmaking is hit or miss, really. At least in Reckoning you can teach a newbie. Or watch what's going on. In GP everyone steals motes, ignores blockers and just bunches up when invaders arrive. It's super-frustrating. I have no idea if the GP armour will do anything, but I got four pieces and it did fuck all, apart from drop at 20 light levels below 650. What's the point? Look, this may be easier to deal with when everyone's 700, but just like the Forge's they were impossible at 615, but still fun. GP enemies CRUSH you for any mistakes, and you might as well be throwing Nerf darts if you aren't using your super. I think that's where the problem lies. The only way to increase your light is to level up. The only way to level up is to do new activities, or crunch through a bunch of old chores. At least give me new chores so that I can have some fun. Right now it's drifting in the wrong direction.  

E. Nerf. Shotguns. What did they do wrong? I don't know. but now they do...nothing. Might as well use a sidearm. Did you like Jotuun? Great! We've nerfed it. Like all your Whisper ammo? Cool. You can only hold 9. Did the player base work out a rock-solid meta for damage on certain things? Yep. OK, instead of upping damage for other things, we'll pull the rest back and make it take longer. The only thing that seems to be working better now are Scout Rifles, but I'm not sure we want to go back to the dark days of the MIDA-meta.

See you all in a month! Hope it gets better!

*Original*

First impressions of Gambit Prime:

1. Mote collection is reversed; go for Large Blockers that drain enemy bank

2. Game changes completely after Primeval; get yourself 2 regular invaders and you’ll frustrate enemy team to defeat.

3. Shotguns are now pissweak; go for a long range takedown

• Downvote 1

I don't agree with a lot of that. Though this could just be me reacting to a lot of it, as I don't like the overwhelming about of salt Destiny brings out in its fans. 

I don't buy that there's no story, just that it's not delivered through cut scenes. Bungie said that this would be the case with the Annual Pass content - no cut scenes, campaign missions or new locations, but delivered in other ways. 

I'm not a massive lore hound, but generally the community think that what has been revealed in this season so far is pretty good. The set up is quite interesting and is, hopefully, going to have a pay-off in the future. It's definitely building up towards something. 

Seeing as Bungie have said they weren't going to create any campaign-esque story content, it's about as good as they could make it without all those bells and whistles. It requires you to lean in to the lore a bit and if you don't like to do that, then fine, but don't complain it's not there. Same with the Forges which definitely did have a story behind them but, again, this was delivered in other ways.

Fans like the lore. It's not personally my preferred way of getting the plot and background details but the community like it and I don't begrudge Bungie doing it this way. 

As for Gambit Prime, it's a week or so old, so definitely has a few things that need ironing out. The primeval phase is very invader-focused, and I think in general a lot of players are way too passive when it comes to invasions. The new maps actually make it harder to be team wiped, as they aren't just a big open area with three separate parts now. You can hide much easier and ambush the invader while they are going somewhere else. 

I think a lot of players basically don't like the "P" part of the PvEvP experience. They'd rather it was just the mote-banking and primeval-slaying against the other team, and see the invasions as a frustrating distraction instead of a fundamental part of the game. 

Of course, there should be an option for solo-queuing but I go in solo quite often and it's often okay as long as you don't come up against a team. I've never had the clock run down either. The buff eventually stacks high enough that you can burn the primeval. 

This is meant to be endgame content too, so I think it's fine that it's hard, and focused around a competitive experience. It's meant to be equivalent to competitive in Crucible, or a Raid-like activity. 

I think some people expect all aspects of the game to appeal to them at all times. 

I also don't know why there's a massive aversion to teams, in what is basically a multiplayer PVE shooter. The game is designed, generally, around a fireteam. It's absolutely fine if you don't want to play in a team, but you can't expect a game with that focus at its core, to tailor itself to you. With the fireteam function on the Destiny app, there's a really easy way of grouping up now, and often people are fine with no mic or communication, so you can at least get a team going easily. 

The only thing I really agree with is the nerfing. Shotguns definitely needed tweaking - if 99% of players are using a shotgun then something's up. A certain type of shotgun and shotgunner were dominating. I can understand a little with Whisper and Jotunn too, as they were becoming de facto choices. I know Bungie don't like it when a certain exotic becomes "inevitable" for an encounter, so they probably want them brought down a little. 

I would rather they looked at buffing other weapons though, though generally I do think most of what they were looking at were weapons that gave you a lot of power that other options didn't. I know that I rarely used anything but a machine gun, Jotunn/shotgun and a pulse rifle in most things. 

I still think the game is probably the best it's ever been, and haven't been disappointed with the annual pass. I never expected DLC - it's not DLC, after all - but more a stream of stuff across the year, rather than a big DLC drop. Remember, we got nothing after The Taken King until a small drop in the April and then Rise of Iron in September. There were big content droughts in Destiny. 

At least now, there's generally always something to do. You might not want to do it, but that's often personal preference. In my eyes, the Annual Pass has been worth the couple of quid per month for what they've given us, and it's an improvement on what happened in Y2 of Destiny 1. 

My only criticism is that the PvP side has been neglected a bit. I'm not a massive Crucible player, though I don't mind it and I don't get the absolute huge amounts of salt other players give it, like they'd rather this whole other half of the game didn't exist because it's not for them. But it hasn't had much content for a while. A few new maps, or even old D1 maps that were made for 6v6, would help it out a bit.  

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Phelan said:

I've not even logged on to play new Gambit after a bunch in my clan were very negative about it. One of the clan wrote this:

The guy gets a fair bit of basic mechanics fundamentally wrong and just sounds angry. It comes across as angry it's not what he wanted, rather than a critique of what it actually is.

Is it the best content ever? Absolutely not - but that's just an angry internet post.

• Upvote 1

The Whisper nerf is a bit overboard when the total ammo without reserves went from 20 to 9 in one patch. Should have been 15 to make it more bearable. Machine guns damage should have been left as it was, but I kind of agree with the ammo change as it was possible to carry a lot of it.

The fact you have to play Gambit Prime is a bit shit though to be able to do any of the other content. All the allegiance quest stuff (and Thorn) is also stuff we've done to death - play more gambit, more strikes, more crucible. Where are the missions? The secrets? The Whisper quest was the most loved secret and yet there's been nothing like it since! Same with Shattered Throne.

As it stands the Season of the Forge, while grindy as hell, had more reason to play than Drifter as it had a raid. In Drifter there doesnt seem to be any need to get to 700 power outside of maybe Iron Banner and tier 3 of Reckoning, and even with the latter I'm not sure it needs max power.

I suspect the playerbase is/will be quite low this season, due in no small part to the lack of "new" content, a raid and the release of competition - Division 2 mainly, but also just other games (even single player ones). Bungie had to have known this though, as it was all over Reddit prior to Season of the Drifter's release.

• Upvote 1

Maybe there's a secret raid and we haven't found it yet. 

Because if there isn't (there isn't) this season leaves me very, very cold. As you say, as grindy as the Forge was, I felt more purpose going through the gears there than here.

Agree with the grindy chat. The new story content is potentially great (choosing a side), but with no cut scenes or gameplay to engage with outside of the usual activities it feels boring very quickly. 

I got to the crucible 'kill a load of people with void energy and void hand cannons' bit last night for Thorn. I quite like crucible but when I realised just how many games it will require to complete that step I simply couldn't be arsed. Not a fan of the Ikelos hand cannon everyone is using for that part and I don't have a better void option so I ordered the Division 2 instead!

14 minutes ago, Marmite said:

Agree with the grindy chat. The new story content is potentially great (choosing a side), but with no cut scenes or gameplay to engage with outside of the usual activities it feels boring very quickly. 

I got to the crucible 'kill a load of people with void energy and void hand cannons' bit last night for Thorn. I quite like crucible but when I realised just how many games it will require to complete that step I simply couldn't be arsed. Not a fan of the Ikelos hand cannon everyone is using for that part and I don't have a better void option so I ordered the Division 2 instead!

Try a Kindled Orchid. That thing is CRAZY

12 hours ago, Hexx said:

The guy gets a fair bit of basic mechanics fundamentally wrong and just sounds angry. It comes across as angry it's not what he wanted, rather than a critique of what it actually is.

Is it the best content ever? Absolutely not - but that's just an angry internet post.

Ironically, he is the main person who has defended every bit of Destiny 2 over the past two years while I've been ranting my head off!

So, because I live under a rock and don't like people, can you play the main D2 campaign solo? I know it's not really the way of doing things, but I do want to give it a run through if possible.