Gorf King

Destiny 2 - Out Come The Big Guns (part deux, redux)

36 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Well, unfortunately that's the problem with all these PvP nerfs: they impact the usability of the nerfed thing in PvE too. Which is why I wish PvP and all the balancing whinges would just go away.

As to the particular complaint above, Nova Warp has never had as much damage resistance as a Spectral Blade does when it's invisible. In fact, Spectral Blade's damage resistance has been reduced by 10% as opposed to Nova Warp's 2% - so they're 62% and 54% respectively now (57% when SB is not invisible.) Hence that being a bigger nerf for SB than NW.

Like it makes any difference anyway. The biggest thing that makes a difference is not being a complete potato. ''It's easy to kill a whole 6-man team with one Blade Barrage, it should be nerfed!" is a case in point - that whole team wipe from a single-shot super really only applies when you have a full box of complete potatoes in your team, and all the potatoes pack themselves snugly into a tiny little box and refuse to move. If that's what you got, you may as well fear the approach of a potato peeler as much as a Blade Barrage.

People should stop moaning about PvP balance and calling for everything that kills them to be nerfed. Cos that's all it amounts to 99% of the time - wanting to be completely OP yourself and blaming any deaths on the other guy having an unfair advantage. Wrap the whole Crucible experiment in sackcloth, tie it to a rock and sink it in the ocean. The salt pouring out of it won't make much difference there.

So yeah it’s still nonsense that the Wrath with all its other perks gets more damage res :p (And it’s even more nonsense that it had an even bigger difference before - which is what you point amounts to)

I don’t want all the toys taken away btw. Bungie gave up on anything close to balance a long time ago. But unbalanced chaos can be fun.

What I think is stupid in PvP (and for PvP reasons) that they nerfed one of the top tier abilities to the floor and let the others go effectively untouched - or entirely untouched. (OEM...Jesus). 

It’s one thing to die to a broken ability and think ‘my turn in 25 seconds’. It’s another to die to a broken ability and think ‘‘Huh. Got nothing’.

Take everyone’s toys or no ones. (No ones would be my preference - lean into the chaos cus they’ll never achieve balance

That combined with shitty matchmaking, game modes and a resurgence (although that might just be my experience)  in encounters with surprisingly bad connections has been a bad week for impressions of crucible.

(There’s also a sour impression left a lot of the problems all roaming supers are due to small maps and crap respawn algorithms/placements)

Bit seeiously slowva and the hat in PvE

Just now, DonRumsfeld said:

What setup is this?

Top Tree Void Warlock (the slow splitting one with decent projectile tracking) 

Skull of Dire Arahamkara (the gives energy on kills)

Great for adds in tight spaces (eg Gambit)

Pair with Tether Hunter for silliness,

• Upvote 1

Has anyone done the mysterious datapad?

What the fuck was that? All 3 of the team started laughing out loud at the exact same moment

What was the sticker she put on the back of her head? Is it covered in the Pages (I have 2) or the raid?

But she glows nicely now. If they sold that for guardians I'm sure I'd buy it!

Finger on the pulse as ever, I've recently played through the campaign with a friend. Other than that and a few strikes over the last couple of sessions, that's all we've done. We've both got a copy of the Legendary edition but haven't installed any of the expansions yet. I'm keen to try and do the original raid as 'purely' as possible. That is, with other people who have never done it before (if at all possible at this point) and not at a level that's way higher than first envisaged. My original plan was to get through the Leviathan raid and open up the expansions after.

So, should we hammer the strikes until we reach 300 and then try and get a group together? Is that the best next step? Or am I being needlessly cautious holding off on installing the expansions just yet?

Also, I realise this is an extremely long shot at this late stage, but if anyone else is yet to do the Leviathan raid and is keen to do so 'blind' give me a shout. That's how I experienced Vault of Glass in the original game and it's one of the best game experiences I've ever had.

I lose track of all the editions these days: does the version you have include the Forsaken (Year 2) expansion, or is it just vanilla Y1 and the two Y1 DLCs? I think you want to be in the high 200s for Leviathan. Like 280 and up, from memory.

But honestly, the stories in Curse of Osiris and Warmind don't add anything to what's happening in the Leviathan, and you won't spoil anything. I'd plough on while levelling and arranging the raid run.

48 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I lose track of all the editions these days: does the version you have include the Forsaken (Year 2) expansion, or is it just vanilla Y1 and the two Y1 DLCs? I think you want to be in the high 200s for Leviathan. Like 280 and up, from memory.

But honestly, the stories in Curse of Osiris and Warmind don't add anything to what's happening in the Leviathan, and you won't spoil anything. I'd plough on while levelling and arranging the raid run.

Thanks for this. We're currently playing the vanilla release from PS+ with nothing added. The code from the edition we've bought will add the two Y1 DLCs and Forsaken all at the same time, as I understand it (but doesn't include anything from the current annual pass).

We're currently around 235 or so. If we can crack on with the expansion missions without getting overpowered for Leviathan then that sounds ideal.

If you've got Forsaken, I'd be tempted to advise skipping Leviathan, and trying to get a blind raid together for when you've levelled to the Last Wish raid in Forsaken. 1: it'll be easier to find a team, 2: it's a much better raid.

• Upvote 1

Crimson Days starts next Tuesday (12/02) and ends the following Tuesday (19/02).

Crimson Doubles is the 2v2 Crucible playlist at the center of the event. The combat scenario is 2v2 Clash with a round-based twist. Stay in close proximity to your partner and your abilities will recharge at a faster rate. Stray too far, and your enemies will be given a waypoint leading to your location. If you can’t find a partner, don’t worry, we’ll play matchmaker and find one for you. To sweeten the deal we will be turning on Valor bonuses throughout the event for both Crimson Doubles and all other Crucible modes.

You will start out by speaking with Lord Shaxx in the Tower, who will give you the Fire of the Crimson Days emblem. He will have five Crimson Bounties available for you. Crucible not your cup of tea? The Bounties will send you to both PVE and PVP activities. There will be four daily bounties and one weekly bounty which calls for you to  duo Nightfall with your partner.

The Rewards

Last year there was a series of rewards for completing specific activities. The rewards are returning, but the way you earn them has changed. Shaxx will be giving out Confectionery Hearts for completing Crimson Doubles matches and turning in Crimson Bounties. You will use those to purchase the rewards.

Some of you may have some or all of the rewards from last year, so we have added two new rewards for you to earn.

Similar to Horror Story in the last Festival of the Lost, a max power weapon will be available during Crimson Days. Shaxx will be offering a new bow, “The Vow”, in exchange for Confectionery Hearts. (Its a Solar legendary bow).

While you are playing Crimson Doubles you will be earning 7 Confectionery Hearts with every win and 5 for every loss. Each daily bounty will reward you with 15 Hearts, and the weekly Nightfall Duo bounty will give you 75! Here are the Confectionery Heart costs for each reward Shaxx is offering: 

Tirastrella Legendary Ghost Shell – 25

Undeterred Exotic Sparrow – 50

The Vow Legendary Bow – 100

Wardcliff Coil Ornament - 125

Flaunting Dance Legendary Emote – 150

Warmhearted Gift Package – 15

If you are still looking to spend your extra hearts, Shaxx will also be offering a Warmhearted Gift Package that will give you a chance to receive Enhancement Cores, weapons, mods, gear, and resources. 

That’s not all. Along with these reward there will be a set of Crimson Days Triumphs for you to complete. We don’t want to spoil all the treats and reveal the Triumphs just yet, but we will let you know the sweet reward for completing them all. 

If you complete all of the Crimson Days Triumphs, you will earn the Sugary Ghost Shell.

A Crimson Engram will drop with every Bright Engram a player earns.The contents of the Engram have not changed, so if you didn’t get everything you wanted last year or are new to Destiny, this is your chance to grab some of these items.

The Vow looks much easier to complete than Horror Story

Our blind raid continued into Last Wish...with 5 people. Up to the second boss. (Please don't tell us anything we got wrong or give any tips) 

First boss was just practice to kill after learning last time. The only new thing we got was we think each platform/knight opens 3 doors i.e. 3 per banner, 2 banners per position she's in = 6 doors per position. We couldn't work out why sometimes we got more doors and sometimes we got less. But that seemed to be it. Pushing 5 people to do 6 plates was hard...(Someone might have got left to die on last one so the rest could live/DPS)

Second boss. I think we've worked this out. We've got the 2nd pattern room - but without enough time to do. Hopefully a 6 will make difference on clearing adds/rooms and give us extra time. 

Lots of fun trial and error (Shoot her with the beams! Shoot the Taken buffed guy with the beams! Shoot the glowy crystal above her with the beams!)

We didn't seem to need the Taken Buff and we couldn't work out for certain what it was for (we believe to interrupt her attack during the DPS phase, but we just burned her before she could attack) We need some good clean runs to get enough time in puzzle room two...unless we're missing something about how to slow/stop reset her song. But given we've nearly done 2 full "phases" it seems unlikely we're not missing something obvious.

So much more chuffin fun that Leviathan. And Cataclysm Warlock and Recharge hat is silly (I was chaining supers immediately on each add phase)

• Upvote 2

It literally isnt. All you have to do is shoot the guys gun when it says draw. When there's more than the one, shoot them in the order they spawn in.

Simples. I did it first time once I realised I had to shoot the hand/gun rather than the guys head.

Not enough time to move between them on PS4 - either free aim or down sights. 

I can hit all the last  3 but despite it registering and stunning then last one gets a shot off 

edit - and done. Had to aim down sights but not when switching targets. bloody close though

6th person in and 2nd boss down (sorry if our raid exploits bore the thread...nothing else being said)

Lot of practice, but just doing it cleanly did it. (We had it about 30 minutes before we killed it but our BossKiller Hunter missed his super, and we forgot we might have to interrupt not just burn on last phase so wiped...I blame that hunter obviously)

That's a really fun fight - but pretty unforgiving in terms of time if you mess up. Even overgeared we weren't overflowing with excess time on reaching the puzzle rooms. Impressed with those doing it at appropriate light levels. Quite fun on add phases with 3-4 Supers constantly burning through them like butter. 

Then we reached boss 3 after a nice jumping intermission. 

We don't know how to start the fight :lol: 

That's a puzzle for next week

• Upvote 4

That 2nd fight is my favourite, I think. It's a proper race against time. Even geared up, you've got to move and shoot and setup in pretty tight time limits.

Well played!

Don't tell anyone but I'm actually quite liking Rumble atm 

Jotuun wrecks in there (do good people not play? :D) and it's pretty easy to come in top half (even if there's a cheating connection or 2) so you never feel too cheated aggrieved, even if you're not close to winning top spot. Get a streak and a nice pat on the bum from Shaxx.

Dawnblade isn't terrible against solo players either ;)

I actually won one with 20 points in about 1/2 the match time (with 2nd place with 10 IIRC) and a streak of 6 or 7. It's like kicking small defenseless children in the tooths!

Yeah the first few times doing Shuro Chi was a lot of fun. It’s got all the hallmarks of a classic Destiny raid fight: frantic add clearing, a focussed DPS phase, puzzles and jumps but it wraps it all up in a time limit and route to its finale that’s constantly encouraging you to push forward in a rolling wave of destruction, chaining supers as you go. One of the best they’ve ever done.

• Upvote 3

Yeah I really like that encounter too. As you said, even when you're at max light and rolling decent gear, it never becomes an automatic win and you still need to work together and be effective. 

It helps that it's so quick too, so restarts and failures are never a problem, and it gets properly thrilling when you're at the top in that third stage and realise it's close. It sort of feels like getting caught up in the wave and that knife-edge tension of being afloat and having it drive you forward, but with always the sense that it could pull you under with it. 

14 games of Crimson and every game I was teamed up with a random against a clan. Only managed to win four matches.

Total nightmare!! Must try and find some of my clan online to play tonight or I'm stuffed. Kinda fun though. 

Interesting watching a team split itself though to attack from both sides.

Only one triumph off getting the Sugary Shell, and its the one where you have to play 22 games (I need to play 3 more matches). Been playing mostly on my Hunter using Shinobu's Vow for double Skip grenades, which is a dirty dirty way to play due to the ability regen speed - essentially have my grenade up all the time and can spam it when next to a team mate. Really fun way to play, feels a bit like Mayhem doubles. Shaxx cant say I didnt throw enough grenades thats for sure!

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

Only one triumph off getting the Sugary Shell, and its the one where you have to play 22 games (I need to play 3 more matches). Been playing mostly on my Hunter using Shinobu's Vow for double Skip grenades, which is a dirty dirty way to play due to the ability regen speed - essentially have my grenade up all the time and can spam it when next to a team mate. Really fun way to play, feels a bit like Mayhem doubles. Shaxx cant say I didnt throw enough grenades thats for sure!

You're filthy and I hate you :D

CD is fun distraction if you don't take it too seriously. 5 for loss, 7 for win means help that there's no particularly salty feelings on a loss. Nice quick matches too.

Very generous with tokens as well - pretty easy to get everything

The purchasable shell from Tess this week is pretty nice in terms of perks too - but it's not replacing Cat-Ghost

It turns out I already had half of the stuff from Shaxx. Which left me trying for the Bow (one Nightfall and a couple of PVE did me nicely), the Sparrow (the next day's PVE bounties) with just the Wardcliff ornament left to grab - which the hearts for doing 8 bounties should nab me, without ever having to step in the Crucible. Nice. As long as I don't care about the Sugary Shell ghost (I don't), I don't need any PVP in my life.

Everyone should nab that shell from Tess anyway as it increases glimmer gains from everything - according to reddit its +25% rather than the usual 10% in addition to finding chests in any location. Pretty useful if you want to just farm for glimmer (which I always seem to be low on).