Gorf King

Destiny 2 - July update inc prestige lairs now live

9 hours ago, Gorf King said:

Aye, guy's Prince Regent of clickbait hyperbole these days. A facsimile of depth but shallow as a puddle in the end.

Sounds like Destiny 2.....

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

15 hours ago, K said:

I’m surprised everybody's talking about this boring, uncontroversial year 2 announcement, rather than the highlight of everyone's social calendar -  the faction rallies. The new setup seems to work quite well – increasing your renown tangibly changes how the game plays and feels, so entering a lost sector at renown level 5 feels a lot more challenging than entering one normally - playing solo at 360-ish light is actually a really satisfying level of challenge, it reminds me of Halo on heroic. It’d be nice if they could roll out this system a bit more widely, it works pretty well.

The core loop is quite nicely done as well. A heroic public event takes you to renown 3, and then you can do a patrol or kill a high-value target to get you to 5 – it feels less grindy than I thought it would. After playing for a couple of hours last night, I managed to get about 120 tokens or so, which took me up to level 6 with my faction – the EDZ yielded a lot more progress than Mercury, so I think that yield can be improved. Getting the masterwork catalyst feels vaguely doable, although it also feels like I’d need to play it every day to get to level 50, and I’m not sure I want to start organising my life around Destiny again.

The faction rallies are really nicely done except they forgot one slight thing.

You see if you are trying to do protocol escalations you are absolutely fucked because the more you kill the quicker your faction ranking goes up and your health doesn't go back until you find a health spot from a kill which doesn't happen when you are just on the end of a section and the big bad is shooting the utter fuck out of you and your health doesn't go up.

There should be a way to switch your faction rally off when you are doing things like that. Otherwise it's really fucking dumb. Team of eight of us couldn't get past the second escalation last night. We were slaughtered until we had no ranking left however you lose way too much time because of everyone dying.

I'm also sick of deleting shaders. Really fucking sick of it. 

Not sold on the new content so I'm on the fence whether I fork out more money to play this or if I find a new game to get my teeth into - especially with RDR2 coming out a month after Bungie's annual dip into my pocket.

Also fuck Deej - he is like a charisma black hole. He is where fun goes to die.

• Empathy 1

Can I also complain that I don't like that the only way to get a damned MIDA masterwork is to force me into Crucible and hope it randomly drops. 

I wish they would realise that some players just want to play PVE and don't give a fuck about PVP - and limiting them for not playing is fucking rude.

Heres that Exotic Rocket Launcher that was shown in the trailer:

destiny-2-forsaken-dual-rocket-launcher-

Also, despite machine guns being mentioned during the stream when comparing them to bows, they actually meant auto rifles.

However.....

So possibly Thunderlord, or just machine guns in general maybe.

I see they are making Forsaken stuff 600 which is a massive jump - that must be to block out people who don't pay and are locked out due to their light level.

Because we have been getting small jumps and a jump from 360 currently to 600 is massive!

• Upvote 1

On 05/06/2018 at 21:47, Broker said:

t1.png.8d63943d7419bf57236569f9e9baab11.png

Maybe?

Apparently not.

Though the inclusion of the 'power matters' feature might turn out to be a double-edged sword; or maybe just a single-edged one - the edge that cuts your throat as you shimmy casually into an Iron Banner match a hundred power levels to the worse.

1 hour ago, Phelan said:

You see if you are trying to do protocol escalations you are absolutely fucked because the more you kill the quicker your faction ranking goes up and your health doesn't go back until you find a health spot from a kill which doesn't happen when you are just on the end of a section and the big bad is shooting the utter fuck out of you and your health doesn't go up.

There should be a way to switch your faction rally off when you are doing things like that. Otherwise it's really fucking dumb. Team of eight of us couldn't get past the second escalation last night. We were slaughtered until we had no ranking left however you lose way too much time because of everyone dying.

AFAIK, what you kill in Escalation doesn't add to your renown stack at all; nor does completion of any EP wave. What does add to it is where you complete a heroic public event as part of one. That wouldn't explain why you were all so stacked up you couldn't even beat the wave 2 boss, so I guess you must have all stacked renown before the EP started, or did a public event in wave one - never had that myself - and ended up with a three stack. I mean, I agree that renown obviously makes the whole thing harder, and it'd be a right ballache pulling a public event on wave 6 or something, but it's tied to public events, not EP itself, and I guess they couldn't turn the public event linkage off. Killing stuff in EP itself, though, shouldn't do anything to your renown.

The biggest failing of the new system for me is that they reward the most low-level stuff - interminable farming of public events and simple lost sectors - with the highest turnover of tokens, and things like strikes the least (and heroic strikes give exactly the same amount of tokens as normal ones). Again, this is a mistake.

Here's a thing for completionists who crave more masterwork cores - do Nascent Dawn on your other characters:

@Gorf King Yeah we had just all finished a public event which would explain it - however most of the time you get people around to do an escalation is after a public event otherwise there is nobody around. Would just be nice to be able to get rid of it for situations like that.

On your character have a click for Dispel Reputation or something.

Probably a bit pernickety but shouldn't the thread title be changed to 'Destiny 2: Forsaken. £34.99, or £69.99 for all the things'?

The 'everything' version is actually £69.99 on PSN (can't see a Live price yet) and include the 'THE AWOKEN LEGEND SET': https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0002-CUSA06172_00-D2FRSDELUXEPRE01 - although to be fair I'm not sure they made this clear at the annoucement.

Aye, but if we count cosmetics as 'the things' then I'd have to change it to £169.99-£infinity for all the things, because amazing though it may seem some people actually splurge significant amounts of money on Eververse on top of the base game and expansion passes in order to get all the things that are extra to the extra things that you can get on top of the extra release on top of the base one. So I'm ignoring purely cosmetic items.

The free items you get with the digital deluxe edition totally won't be worth it if the D2 digital deluxe edition is anything to go my. Crazy that they want £15 more just for them.

How dare you! I still sport my sword and that emblem with the cup on it proudly to this day. Probably my greatest achievements in consumerism, along with the special 'I am a digital deluxe dickhead' emote. :blows fingers:

:not sarcastic:

21 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Aye, but if we count cosmetics as 'the things' then I'd have to change it to £169.99-£infinity for all the things, because amazing though it may seem some people actually splurge significant amounts of money on Eververse on top of the base game and expansion passes in order to get all the things that are extra to the extra things that you can get on top of the extra release on top of the base one. So I'm ignoring purely cosmetic items.

To me that's like saying Red Dead Redemption 2 is £74.99 for all the things, even when there is a £89.99 version available. Fair enough, but it just isn't correct. If you want the best official bundle at the game's launch, it is £69.99. Possible MTX spend, or whether it's worth it are completely separate points.

And if an even more expensive physical collector's edition is available, with even more trinkets, as if often the case, would you like that referenced in the cost of the game? They're just cosmetics. It's a collector's edition. It's not going in the thread title, but I'll make it clearer if that helps you.

10 hours ago, Phelan said:

I'm also sick of deleting shaders. Really fucking sick of it. 

Not sold on the new content so I'm on the fence whether I fork out more money to play this or if I find a new game to get my teeth into - especially with RDR2 coming out a month after Bungie's annual dip into my pocket.

Also fuck Deej - he is like a charisma black hole. He is where fun goes to die.

I haven't tried EPs with renown on, but they do need to think a bit more about what rewards you get for different activities (although the daily challenges seem to encourage you to try different stuff - today's challenge is to do three strikes. I haven't done it, but the tuesday challenges netted about 50 tokens for finishing them, so it seems fairly generous).

To be honest, deleting shaders hasn't really been an issue since they jacked up the vault space. I stuck half of mine in the vault, and haven't had to worry about them since.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

And if an even more expensive physical collector's edition is available, with even more trinkets, as if often the case, would you like that referenced in the cost of the game? They're just cosmetics. It's a collector's edition. It's not going in the thread title, but I'll make it clearer if that helps you.

I think if there's a version that included extra content in the game not otherwise available, then it probably should be stated as the most expensive version. Normally physical collector's editions tend to include physical collectables only (or more often than not) rather than additional game content - although I appreciate there have been some that that did otherwise over the years.

Even so, there are 3 versions of D2: Forsaken listed on PSN and Blizzard Battle.net (I assume XBL will update at some point) of which the most complete is £69.99.

I'm not sure why the need for the aggression or such defensive attitude, but hey ho, I'll shut up now.

• Empathy 1

Someone disagreeing with you doesn't indicate aggression or defensiveness - it might simply indicate disagreement. I think people already know full well that you can pay extra for cosmetic tat and that's not the cost of the actual game so doesn't need referencing in a thread title, but the title now contains an explanation to that effect.

I suppose we should be grateful this isn't reddit, or we'd be arguing whether Forsaken is an extra sandwich to vanilla's original sandwich, or whether it's an improved sandwich, or whether it's half a sandwich (the filling) and vanilla was just the other half (the bread), or whether vanilla was a shit sandwich and they've taken that off you and scraped the shit off and added ham and cheese, or whether they're just adding ham (Forsaken) and the cheese costs extra (the annual pass content) and they should have provided you with this service for free because, hey, I ordered a ham and cheese sandwich last September and it's a year late, I want a refund and a free sandwich and an apology for the shit you served me last year.

But I think we can all agree that in this scenario, the collector's edition cosmetic memorabilia is a slice of pickled lemon placed on top of the cheese that you lick once, grimace at, then throw in the bin. If you want to order pickled lemon with your ham and cheese sandwich that's fine by me - it's a free country - but I'm not putting it in the product description. 

6 hours ago, Gorf King said:

Someone disagreeing with you doesn't indicate aggression or defensiveness - it might simply indicate disagreement. I think people already know full well that you can pay extra for cosmetic tat and that's not the cost of the actual game so doesn't need referencing in a thread title, but the title now contains an explanation to that effect.

No I'm sorry, that's not the case here.

You could have simply said 'sorry I don't agree with you' or changed the title to something else - such as 'Destiny 2: Forsaken. £34.99, or £59.99 annual pass', even if you didn't accept my suggestions. But you didn't. You specifically stated the title isn't changing and then went and added some addition words about cosmetics to make a point ('It's not going in the thread title, but I'll make it clearer if that helps you'). I wouldn't respond to someone in that manner if they raised a criticism or view about something as simple as a thread title. And therefore it comes across as petty, aggressive or overly defensive.

My opinions of Destiny 2 in this case are neither here or there for this point I raised. I was just stating what I believe to be correct when it comes to the number of versions of D2:Forsaken available. I would have made the same observation in a Red Dead Redemption 2 or another game thread. I admit it is pernickety and by all means shoot me down for it. But please don't pretend you didn't respond in a certain manner.

• Empathy 1

Yes, pernickety about the number of D2:Forsaken versions available (atm).

And you are being a bit aggressive in your response. I guess because you've taken it as criticism of a game you like. It was just a suggestion, that was all.

• Empathy 1

I will indeed countenance no criticism of this fine game and tend to lash out with righteous anger at anyone who dares sully its good reputation. Beware!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Like a child who wanders in the middle of the movie...

Is it £34.99 just for the expansion? Do you need Destiny 2 or the previous DLC's? Is there an edition which has EVERYTHING so far?

Well I'm out so you'll have to go back to Destiny 2 now. I give up. I thought the old thread title was incorrect, the new thread title title is crappy and I get a slightly aggressive response from my rather harmless suggestion. 

So my attempt to go back on topic. I think there will be a fourth SKU/version of the game on sale, which will bundle up the D2:Forsaken, D2 base game + Year One expansions for £80-90 (the GOTY edition). Similar to how other MMO's and online games of this ilk do this 'make cheap' old content for new players. But they are withholding announcing this until absolutely necessary. Not a particularly outrageous prediction I know.

3 minutes ago, Purin said:

Like a child who wanders in the middle of the movie...

Is it £34.99 just for the expansion? Do you need Destiny 2 or the previous DLC's? Is there an edition which has EVERYTHING so far?

If it's anything like the Taken King, the retail edition of Forsaken will include the original Destiny 2. Not sure about the previous DLCs.

Just now, K said:

If it's anything like the Taken King, the retail edition of Forsaken will include the original Destiny 2. Not sure about the previous DLCs.

Hmm, from my experience with Destiny 1 I think any previous DLC will be essential as most of the content will be locked out without them.

22 minutes ago, Mgear said:

Well I'm out so you'll have to go back to Destiny 2 now. I give up. I thought the old thread title was incorrect, the new thread title title is crappy and I get a slightly aggressive response from my rather harmless suggestion.

Dude, no-one's been aggressive to you. That's all in your head, just chill. 

54 minutes ago, Purin said:

They're announcing more details of bundle pricing in tonight's TWAB, and I've no doubt it'll be reported here. We already know you'll need all previous content to play Forsaken, as they've said so; the only question is how much a bundle of it all will cost, which is what will likely be announced tonight.