Gorf King

Destiny 2: Forsaken. No raid spoilers please.

I dont mind the ultra rare drop rate, as long as when you get one, its one you havent got in your collection (until you have them all, then just make it random when one drops).

Far too many dupes at present, not just with legendaries (hello Edge Transit), but exotics as well.

Had a great time last night with chums (doing 540 content at 510-520 is BennyHill style fun)

But there's a few things are starting to niggle

The RNG behind Seeds of Light (see above :P) - plus the fact there's basically no consolation prize for hours spent (if you find a group)

Ace of Spades quest.

Gambit - I'm not sure I'd have put bounties in this. Certainly not ones that affect the way people play (potentially to detriment of other team)

Faction Up - Give us a choice between weapons or armor. 5 turns in last night, all weapons. I want the set for the progression quest.

Broken Ghost Shells for Spider's Wanted. It's alright now with regional chests providing a good quick source, but the fact they only stack to 10 means you wont be able to "bank" for future. Running PEs alot to get could get old,

Gambit bounties is a good point but has always been a thing, they've been doing it in Iron Banner for years after all.

Can't believe you're struggling that badly with the Seeds, wonder if something's up. I've only cleared Tier II once and, well, I can only apologise.

@Mr Ben, @Gorf King and I had a pretty productive evening also (multiple Tier 2 Blind Wells, found and completed the Ascendant Challenge, Nightfall, and the Powerful Gear Spider bounty.) As a result, I'm around 525, and I think Gorf and Ben are both pushing 530.

I think I'd agree with a few of your niggles also. Not least the character of the Seed drops. We ended up in a good instance, and had a group with 6-8 people for (I think) 4 tier 2 runs and 1 tier 1. I think on our third go, it seemed like everyone got one, and then the others, nothing. I know it seems like everyone's getting one on their first or second go, but that was my first one (and I'm not running alts yet, so my actual first) after something 8 runs. It seems odd they either drop en masse or not at all (I've seen that before, where there's one big gush. Although I got left out last time.)

I think I get the idea of what will be baby tiers not giving out loot (they'll presumably be piss easy in a few weeks) but stuff like that goes back to Bungie's seemingly misleading statements about tackling stuff you're underpowered for rewarding you. And, in fairness, they do kick out blues over and above the 500 soft cap, so I could do some low-level infusion if I fancied wasting resources.

Bounties for PvP stuff have always created "bad" behaviour, because why wouldn't they? I need to do 10 shotgun kills for a great weapon, why do I give a fuck about the objective? Even in Competitive mode, slipping down a ranking is only going to make my life easier (as it'll matchmake me against poorer opponents.)

• Upvote 1

I'm a bit split on this. Mechanically, I think it's pretty good - I still can't believe they ditched quests for pretty much the entire first year of Destiny 2, they must be pretty cheap to implement and give you so much more to do - but aesthetically, I'm not so keen. I haven't seen any new armour sets that I like - the new Vanguard set reminds me of Colin Baker's Doctor Who costume, and the Crucible set comes across like a collaboration between Tim Burton and Games Workshop. The Tangled Shore is pretty uniform grey / purple rock; the Dreaming City is pure Rodney Matthews. The Tangled Shore is a fairly big area, but it feels relatively small because it doesn't seem like there's a world beyond the explorable area.

Narratively, it feels like a step back. The story mode is basically two missions bookending a load of adventures, and isn't a patch on the Taken King. I like the new Lore stuff in the UI, but am less keen on the structure - it's a series of short stories, rather than an encyclopaedia with stories woven into it. I got to the end of the campaign without really knowing who the Scorn were, and without having anywhere in-game to look up what they were. I'd have liked an in-game resource to remind me who Uldren Sov was as well. They tried hard to make us care about him by having him kill Cayde, but it didn't work. They should have made Cayde the bad guy - that would have gotten the player a bit more invested in the story.

I gave up Destiny 2 fairly rapidly after release last year but the new expansion is sucking me back in again.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide to what's what these days and also advise me on the cheapest way to upgrade the base game on PS4?

Thanks.

18 minutes ago, bridger said:

I gave up Destiny 2 fairly rapidly after release last year but the new expansion is sucking me back in again.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide to what's what these days and also advise me on the cheapest way to upgrade the base game on PS4?

Thanks.

If it's just the base game - you need the 2 base game DLCs and then Forsaken

They're on sale for now (£8.50 each, for £15 for the pass) and then Forsaken is £35

(D2, it's DLC and  Forsaken pack is £55 if you miss the sale that ends today)

If you want the Annual Pass for Forsaken, someone else can work it out

• Upvote 1

Gunsmith is selling the supermod!

Stacked up on a load of those!

0 mods = 4m58s

1 mods = 4m36s (-22s)

2 mods = 4m17s (-19s)

3 mods = 4m01s (-16s)

4 mods = 3m46s (-15s)

5 mods = 3m32s (-14s

(From reddit, no idea if true)

3 minutes ago, K said:

What, if anything, do those numbers mean?

Recharge time on your super and how it's affected by SuperMods you slot :D

1 minute ago, Gorf King said:

Hmm, thought they'd reduce it a bit more than that. Maybe initially, with the stacking falloff being a bit steeper.

1GMod takes a Grenade from 1min20 to 1min...with 5 down to about 35 seconds.

It's not great - but it's way better than it was.

I just really need to settle on a load out and focus on infusing moding it. With infusion costs right now I'm pretty much just using highest drops at all times.

Yeah, my work colleague is telling me all about mods and infusing and god rolls and such. I'm waiting until I see what weapons and supers I like for endgame.

The campaign is never the highlight, and I don’t think many people in here have been saying how great it is??

I thought it was good enough, some definite highlights & some bits where they just drew things out for padding.

The first mission was excellent, the intro to the City was brilliant & maybe half the adventures were ok. 

The End Game however, which is the real game, is superb so far. 

Ah, that’s nice. 

I think it took me and Donut about ten hours to exhaust all powerful gear rewards this week, except for the nightfall. And that’s before the raid happens. And we’ve still got quests and other things to work on. That’s pretty remarkable, really, and surely about as dense and busy as Destiny has ever been. 

Crucially it’s fucking good fun. All of it. Ascendant Challenges are probably the highlight for me — proper sphincter-clenching fear — but the Wanted bounties are just behind, with a real patient, defensive D1 Nightfall don’t-die vibe to them. With mechanics!

But even the low-level stuff is fun. Bounties mean that just about every activity (I’m still mad patrols don’t count towards flashpoints but I’ll get over it) has meaning, or at least can. It’s so nice to have a material reason to spend an entire strike charging about with a shotgun, or switch subclass for a bit because you’ve got a clan bounty expiring in three hours. I think there might be too many of them at the moment, and no doubt within a couple of months we’ll have min-maxed the process such that we only ever carry like a dozen around at a time, but for now it’s just lovely tooling around knocking things out. Lovely. 

Only downer is that I asked Donut at one point this afternoon, ‘do we even have a raid team for Friday?’ and err, no, we don’t. The fact it’s taken me a week and about 40 hours for that to even be a factor says a lot, I think, about how much stuff they’ve crammed in. 

Tl;dr I am building a granny annexe out of unwanted sidearms. 

• Upvote 3

Nice patch tomorrow. Hopefully everyone gets the reset they should have got, and manage to get some drops that isnt another Edge Transit.

Reason for the nerf to Code of the Commander actually given by Bungie. Had a feeling it may have been raid related. They really are learning to communicate better:

So the spec should be more up to par next week it seems.

Anyone else having difficulty with the ether harvest public event in Four Horn Gultch? It just won't spawn for me so I can't continue with the Talisman quest. All I get for the past 24 hours are glimmer extractions. Am I missing something? 

12 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

Am I missing something? 

Luck :(

It's random which event spawns but you can usually tell which it'll be by the location of the flag. The ether harvest spawns next to, but outside, the white crater thing the escapee event spawns in. If the flag isn't there you can go and do something else instead of standing around for 5 mins hoping for the right one.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

That's two weeks in a row I've wasted time trying to find something for a quest that doesn't exist in the game yet. Wonder how long it's going to take for everything to properly open up.

Meanwhile, after being a bit down on Gambit I ended up spending a couple of hours in there last night and am starting to work it out I think. My final game I had double the number of kills and motes of anyone else on my team, and didn't lose a single mote. I'm still a bit nervous to invade, and didn't really have the loadout for it because I was trying to finish the Gambit part of the Ace of Spades quest (got the final kill in the last match of the night, thank god) but that's the next thing to try. Sleeper's such a huge problem though, my god. A fusion should not be able to one-shot from that far away. I do worry, given the problems Bungie have had trying to balance gear across PVE and PVP throughout Destiny's life, that introducing a third axis to sandbox balance is maybe not the best idea. Anyway, good fun.

Not quite as fun as loading into a Nightfall that Donut and Wavy had in progress and finding them on the boss with a sliver of health left and about five seconds from death. I played my part (fired an arrow).

• Upvote 1

Got 4 kills with Crimson in Gambit, and about to get my fifth, when a hunter thinks he's helping me and shoots the invader I'm killing (he's been suppressed by my Sentinel grenade, so he's fucked) with.....a linear fusion rifle (overkill much? He had a sliver of health) from the other side of the map :hmm:

I'll probably get it the first match tomorrow now :lol:

6 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

That's two weeks in a row I've wasted time trying to find something for a quest that doesn't exist in the game yet. Wonder how long it's going to take for everything to properly open up.

What was that? You could spoiler your answer for others...

Thanks

I like how you can dip in and out and feel like you're making progress now. Had a productive little session before work this morning. But I won't be joining any raid teams. I've only just scraped 510 power. 

39 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Last week was 

Hide contents

The Corrupted strike

This week was

Hide contents

Kill a Plague Of The Herald while Ascendant

I have those exact two. Wasted quite a bit of time trying to do the second before I realised.

Though strangely, you can do the third one quite easily (and those of us who had it did).

Spoiler

Kill four of those big Ascendant Challenge Knights while ascendant. Though you have to land the killing blow, I think, so might take more than one run to do so.