IGNORED

Destiny 2: Bungie 30th Anniversary events start 7 December - dungeon, 6-player activity, Gjallarhorn quest etc.

Gorf King

I know this game's stories basically riff on stories that have been told in other forms of fiction over the years, but I reckon the producers of Marvel's Shang-Chi borrowed one particular story beat and one particular character design from Destiny.

Major Shang-Chi spoilers below, you have been warned.

Spoiler

Uldren Sov was hearing the voice of his sister, Mara, begging him to save/free her, when it was really Riven (controlled by Savathun). 

Shang-Chi's father was hearing the voice of his wife begging him to save/free her, when it was really some ancient soul-eating demon.

Now, that's a plot point from loads of tales throughout history, so why do I think Destiny specifically influenced the producers? Well, when the ancient demon appears in Shang-Chi ... it's basically Oryx, the Taken fucking King! Honestly, the design is incredibly similar.

As the world's foremost authority on Destiny lore - alongside, arguably, my esteemed but curiously absent colleague Mr Mordha O'Lastwordahan, Emeritus Professor of Lost Sectors at Queen's University of Limerick School of Weapon Naming Conventions - I have to say, this season's weekly soap opera story string is the purest shite. Especially the fucking birds, and hyper-especially the fucking animated birds, so don't bother; I think the internet might be somewhat prone to exaggeration.

Yours sincerely,

Probably Savathûn, after all who isn't.

Quite into Season of the Goth, with those moody incest twins gassing it up about their feelings like some sort of Space Brookside. It’s way better than all the other years on Destiny where you get all the plot, backstory, story from reading walls of text pieced together from like twenty different sources or off some pretentious Tory’s 40 minute YouTube video.

6 hours ago, Gorf King said:

As the world's foremost authority on Destiny lore - alongside, arguably, my esteemed but curiously absent colleague Mr Mordha O'Lastwordahan, Emeritus Professor of Lost Sectors at Queen's University of Dublin School of Weapon Naming Conventions - I have to say, this season's weekly soap opera story string is the purest shite. Especially the fucking birds, and hyper-especially the fucking animated birds, so don't bother; I think the internet might be somewhat prone to exaggeration.

Yours sincerely,

Probably Savathûn, after all who isn't.

Not too sure if everyone's picked up on this but the birds are Méabh and Ultán.  

I'm finding this season's story a bit of a wash, in contrast to recent pages. Like, we know from the title of next season that this plan to make Savathûn a goodie goes wrong. Even if we didn't, it's an obviously bad plan and Queen Mara should feel bad for inventing it. Crow is, at least, getting a good storyline. But that fucking fable of the birds, jesus. And the bit about "shores" of an oak tree.

I’m not a huge fan of the story this season. They’re obviously a bit hobbled by having to deal with the geodes & joss stick gang, but even taking that into account, Crow’s series of three minute monologues about kestrels or whatever are torturous.

I thought the bit where Crow has a tantrum because his mum won’t let him talk to Savathun was particularly funny. 

12 hours ago, StephenM said:

Just read an Axios piece about Destiny’s seasonal storytelling being on point and then came here to find people enjoying it. 

Might have to get back in (again)!

The problem is as far as I can see if you came back now you'd get...this season's story telling. Which wouldn't be nearly as good without the character build up from the last 3.

The only one to get the "full" ongoing story is to buy the Deluxe edition to get the last 3 seasons and play them retroactively...(and option that presumably will go at the launch of Witch Queen)

8pm tonight then for VoG.

Wait a minute - what raid thing?

29 minutes ago, Hexx said:

The problem is as far as I can see if you came back now you'd get...this season's story telling. Which wouldn't be nearly as good without the character build up from the last 3.

The only one to get the "full" ongoing story is to buy the Deluxe edition to get the last 3 seasons and play them retroactively...(and option that presumably will go at the launch of Witch Queen)

You can still catch up on all the story - just read all the lore books. It's the radical new way of storytelling Bungie has developed this year.

Except you can't unlock the lore books if the content isn't there to unlock them. That's the new part, and it's a vast improvement on the old system of having to unlock lore books that you can still unlock and having to read them on the internet or listening to Bamf's videos while biting down hard on something.

Forgot how much I love this game. Bought beyond light last year but didn’t bother playing it. Finally getting around to it now. When did they do away with primary and secondary ammo?

Also up for some raidage when I’m levelled up. (Shouldn’t be long)

8 minutes ago, DonRumsfeld said:

When did they do away with primary and secondary ammo?

This season (started about six weeks ago) they did away with primary ammo and made that infinite. Secondary/Special ammo (shotguns, fusions, snipers etc.) and heavy ammo are still a thing. 

14 minutes ago, DonRumsfeld said:

Forgot how much I love this game. Bought beyond light last year but didn’t bother playing it. Finally getting around to it now. When did they do away with primary and secondary ammo?

They haven't done away with primary and secondary (it's called special), and then you also have heavy.

The only recent change is that primary ammo is now infinite.

Ah, you’re running double primaries. It’s Bungies own fault because they made a mess of year one, but primaries are your hand guns, sidearms, pulse, smgs, scout and auto rifles. Specials are your snipers, grenade launchers, shotguns, fusions and trace rifles. Usually a waste to have double primaries as you’re missing out on the higher impact damage of specials. Either specials or primaries can run in the kinetic slot or the energy slot.

So Wayfinder's Voyage wraps up this week. It's nothing too tricky if you've kept up with the steps so far; just a few bits of story and some "defeat these dudes by using these things in these activities to make a percentage bar go up" objective stuff. I also hit rank 20 with my Compass in the HELM, so that gave me another nice shiny. ^_^

12 hours ago, Qazimod said:

So Wayfinder's Voyage wraps up this week. It's nothing too tricky if you've kept up with the steps so far; just a few bits of story and some "defeat these dudes by using these things in these activities to make a percentage bar go up" objective stuff. I also hit rank 20 with my Compass in the HELM, so that gave me another nice shiny. ^_^

I thought there might be more than the standards stuff. The ending was a bit odd with some bring "we need to wait for a cosmic alignment" and the last screen being "it's coming together, Saint's coming now!!!!"

The new 10 minute challenge really helps me get grumpy in AA. Go for the batteries you pricks! Stop farming bounties!

I'm enjoying this again having not really played since Beyond Light came out. I was surprised how much of that I hadn't actually done (been moping up the Aspects which I now have all 4 of). 

I have a slight bug I think though which while it doesn't matter is really irritating me. For some reason it's always showing as if I have something to mark off in the list of season accomplishments but there is nothing there, (or when there is once I have clicked the off it's still showing). Anyone else have this?

There is a seasonal challenge due to come out in week 10 for killing things in Dreaming City that will trigger if you complete it now but you can't tick it off until week 10.

I completed it in week 1 and the flashing has now been doing my nut in for 7 weeks. :hmm: OCD off the scale.

• Gorf King changed the title to Destiny 2: Bungie 30th Anniversary events start 7 December - dungeon, 6-player activity, Gjallarhorn quest etc.