Destiny 2: 1337 Häkkes

Crept up to 899 yesterday... :doh: although the slow development is my own fault as I haven't been playing a whole lot this week. I think I've cleared a bunch of the IB bounties though.

Also along the way I had some goofy matchmaking moments in IB where there were 950 opponents who I could barely dent. Thanks Destiny. :lol: 

(Also also: do we know if the Haunted Forest will be coming back yet? I really enjoyed that in the past...)

Power levels aren't factored into IB matchmaking - it's supposed to be like that. If you're higher power, you'll have an advantage.

Festival of the Lost starts on 29 Oct, but we don't know if it's the haunted forest again or something new.

Ah, I knew about the advantage but I wasn't sure if there was some kind of hidden threshold to prevent completely broken scenarios.

Then again, it does have it's own way of dealing with this:

"We're breaking these teams up to find a better match"

:blush: 

Nah, it's always been that way - the most common thing has always been to get a couple of guys appear in the roster with blue gear a hundred levels below the norm, think 'I hope they're not on my team!', and of course they invariably are and the other lot is a six stack with flawless Trials emblems/Recluse/Not Forgotten [delete as applicable according to era]. It's part of the fun of IB.

(Though to be fair, this time round it doesn't seem anywhere near as keen to stack six solo players against a big team. I guess the experience of creating that Survival solo queue has rubbed off on IB in some way.)

1 hour ago, Gorf King said:

If you're not going to play Crucible, Gambit or raids then the only new stuff I can think of (apart from the campaign missions) are Vex Offensive, Nightmare Hunts and the new tiers of Nightfall, called Nightfall: The Ordeal. And a dungeon to come.

Vex Offensive is good fun, 6-player matchmade with very light mechanics (if you can call them that), and some of the weapon rewards are great if you get good rolls - which you will if you play a reasonable amount, as the drops are plentiful. But if you're not buying until the end of November you might only get a few weeks at best of that, because it's a seasonal activity and will be removed when Season 9 drops (no date given, but may be in December even though Shadowkeep was delayed).

The four new Nightfall tiers are fun, but only the first two are matchmade, so you'd need a pre-made team for Legend and Master.

Nightmare Hunts are tiered in difficulty too, very similarly to the new Nightfalls, and they also only have matchmaking for the first two tiers. They're ok, but are pretty similar to Strikes, albeit increasingly difficult.

There's also a dungeon coming on the 29th of this month. Obviously we don't know what that'll be like yet, but past record suggests it'll be at least very good.

Oh, and there are also several exotic quests. One for a Riskrunner + catalyst, and one for a new rocket launcher, Deathbringer, that are both in-game now. There's also a quest for Divinity, a trace rifle, but as part of that requires a raid completion, you won't be doing that if you're not raiding. A quest is released next week for a bow, Leviathan's Breath, and another for a machine gun, Xenophage, comes out on Oct 29, same day as the new dungeon.

Think that's about it.

I actually just got that Riskrunner exotic quest yesterday. Didn't read up on it going in so it was a bit of an anticlimax that it gave you that since I already had it, but the catalyst is nice and I got that completed fairly quickly by just abusing the first round of Escalation Protocol. Ace of Spades catalyst dropped too so I got that done relatively quickly as well.

Finally got my first Forsaken(!) exotic too! Cerberus +1 from an engram from Xur. I've had one exotic engram drop in the wild and, shock horror it was a duplicate so it's good to see that's still happening.

I think I'll try and get that Outbreak Perfected final mission done, and maybe Shattered Throne as well.

Lets see some builds!

Spoiler

zTep6hi.jpg

P1HMdIY.jpg

vImeCFa.jpg

xI3KofR.jpg

0qa23Us.jpg

YmPcHre.jpg

Synthoceps is the only exotic armor piece that's dropped with semi-decent stats for me, which is fine. The combination of Hammer Strike + pop Super for Synthosized hammers is still a pretty decent source of boss damage for most situations, and relatively easy to get going as long as there's a few basic enemies around. Hoping for a good roll on some Peregrine Greaves though, and would love to build something around that with High Strength, or even just Monte Carloe for melee ability regen.

The rest of the build is based around High Recovery armor, with the affinity split between Arc and Solar. 100 Recovery is just great, one of those very basic gameplay changes that you can very much feel on a moment to moment basis. Coupled with Dreambane mods and Recuperation, it means that there are a lot of outs for getting back into the fight after taking damage.

(Side note - I don't know why anyone would take any other Mark other than Solar, considering its the only one that gets Recuperation. And for what it does, 1 energy cost for it seems like a bargain.)

In terms of affinity mods, fairly evenly split between SMG and Machine Gun mods. Enhanced SMG Loader is obviously great with Recluse, but the combination of Machine Gun Ammo Finder and Machine Gun Reserves/Loader makes 21% Delirium even better than it already was. It's pretty great pulling it out to find there are over 200 bullets waiting for you in the chamber.

Pulse Rifle ammo finder is just there in case I ever need to switch back to my Blast Furnace - and even if its not being used for that, it's helping to keep Recluse fed if nothing else.

All 3 damage types are covered, which is all but necessary for some of the high-level Match Game modifiers. My hope is that Thunderlord gets a decent Catalyst - I'd more than happily trade Izanagi for a decent legendary pulse rifle and swap out 21% Delirium if Thunderlord became capable of doing decent DPS again. 

All in all, still not sold on elemental affinity as a concept, but it is what it is for now. Back to the grind for high-level upgrade components...

I'm really enjoying this expansion, I have to say. There's an absolute cornucopia of stuff to do, so that I can just dip in and out of the various modes as and when the mood takes me, but whatever I'm doing, I still make progress of some kind. The Armour 2.0 stuff wasn't of interest to me, but just a little bit of tinkering shows that it has quite a lot of impact - the weapon loader mods in particular make a huge difference to reload times. And the way that mods are an unlock rather than a consumable is a great idea; the economy in general seems hugely improved, so that upgrading weapons is relatively cheap and drops are plentiful, so that you can freely experiment with weapons and armour.

The Crucible in particular is loads of fun at the moment. I'm not sure whether it's been given a buff or not, but Crimson absolutely fucking wrecks people.

My main bugbear at the moment is the faff of picking up bounties. I really wish that they were just active when you start an activity, rather than having to drop into the Tower / the Tangled Shore / Calus' Sex Barge / etc to pick them up. I think I'd prefer it if you had to go to the Tower to hand them in, rather than to pick them up, as that ties in with the Tower as the place to go at the end of a session, to cash in engrams and to sort through mods & gear, and to generally relax after some intense shooting.

I think Werner (in the tower) and Calus bounties are different.

1 hour ago, K said:

My main bugbear at the moment is the faff of picking up bounties. I really wish that they were just active when you start an activity, rather than having to drop into the Tower / the Tangled Shore / Calus' Sex Barge / etc to pick them up. I think I'd prefer it if you had to go to the Tower to hand them in, rather than to pick them up, as that ties in with the Tower as the place to go at the end of a session, to cash in engrams and to sort through mods & gear, and to generally relax after some intense shooting.

I agree, when I think ‘I’ll just have one quick Strike/Crucible/Gambit match”, it’s always a pain to swing by the tower first.  It’s a shame you can’t collect bounties via the companion app.

37 minutes ago, Jigsaw Monkey said:

I think Werner (in the tower) and Calus bounties are different.

I agree, when I think ‘I’ll just have one quick Strike/Crucible/Gambit match”, it’s always a pain to swing by the tower first.  It’s a shame you can’t collect bounties via the companion app.

Pretty sure they said they were looking into that some time ago. Would be great though, I don't get on until late most nights due to fam stuff but would be a massive help to just pop my phone open at reset and load up the bounties for the evening.

Manged to get Divinity last night after an epic raid session ending at 2am. Didn't get a chance to try it out , I just lay down on the sofa at the end and fell asleep. Looks like a beast  though and overall the vex, Moon and raid weapons have all been pretty fun to use.

The raid pulse is amazing and the Moon HC  and sniper feel great particularly. Even though there is a lot of mumbling and whinnying on reddit (as always) about the lack of a vendor weapon reset, I'm not sure we really need one. I'm much fonder of a limited pool of new themed weapons and actually making them good and chasable rather than just dozens of new shard fodder weapons. I instashard 90% of Y2 weapons now and have done since about a month in to Forsaken. 

I've dropped back into D2 now after being well behind the curve in the last expansion, I haven't been able to do any Raids, have barely done any nightfalls etc as I've always been well behind the required power level.

I feel like they have improved things a lot, I've enjoyed crucible a lot and Iron Banner has been great in terms of gameplay but the rewards have been a bit confusing, I've ended up with a postbox full of drops, multiple versions of the armour, multiple versions of the guns and now I have to sort of sift through them and figure out which one I want to keep.

Then there's all the currencies and the upgrades and mods and quite frankly I'm not sure I can be arsed, for someone who jumps on and plays an hour at a time in the evening, once I've got past the loading screens and ran round collecting bounties I'm barely getting any game play between the admin.

I know I can move things round on DiM and look at stuff so maybe that's something I can do at lunch times or whatever but it just seems like such a faff.

2 hours ago, K said:

The Crucible in particular is loads of fun at the moment. I'm not sure whether it's been given a buff or not, but Crimson absolutely fucking wrecks people.

Like all HCs, it got a nerf to effective range, by a few metres. But it also got a Crimson-specific damage buff from 13.76/24.75 base/precision damage to 19/30.5. So as long as you can hit your shots, that's a pretty substantial increase.

I think everyone I've spoken to has enjoyed Crucible a lot more this season than in previous ones, especially Survival and Iron Banner. Even I've started playing it again, so they must be doing something right/horribly but magnificently wrong.

Just now, Gorf King said:

Like all HCs, it got a nerf to effective range, by a few metres. But it also got a Crimson-specific damage buff from 13.76/24.75 base/precision damage to 19/30.5. So as long as you can hit your shots, that's a pretty substantial increase.

I think everyone I've spoken to has enjoyed Crucible a lot more this season than in previous ones, especially Survival and Iron Banner. Even I've started playing it again, so they must be doing something right/horribly but magnificently wrong.

Weird, because even the range on Crimson is pretty good. It feels like a pulse rifle that fires artillery shells - although this is admittedly mostly on the survival maps, which feel a bit more claustrophobic than other MP maps.

That damage is nuts - plus, you get health regen when you get a kill and a reload, so it's amazing for taking down groups. The conventional wisdom was that it was only good for trash mobs - but they're all trash mobs when I've finished with them.

Well, Crimson's catalysed range was mad to start off with, so there's that. But I think maybe the fact that it's a three-burst might help with the range nerf too. Maybe the calcs mean that sometimes one of the shells might not land out of the three, so a couple still land? No idea really. But yeah, it's always been great for chaining red-bar kills together, and that's basically what these fools are. Like a line of thrall.

Hand cannons generally feel pretty nuts at the moment, even with the range nerf. There's an enhanced hand cannon loader mod in the seasonal artifact that speeds things right up, so that if you flip between Ace of Spades in the kinetic slot and that new Vex Offensive hand cannon in the energy slot, you feel like WIlliam Munny without the self-awareness.

Just now, KartoffelKopf said:

Your power level scales to a max of +20 of the recommended activity level so you’ll be effectively only be 420 anyway. 

I didn't know that. Does that apply to everything? Strikes at 750 are trivially easy when you're 900+, and you can absolutely melt bosses.

The damage you deal has always stopped increasing once you get 50 above the enemies' level (and the damage you take stops reducing at that point). For Shadowkeep they did change the max threshold for underlevel damage to <100 and scaled that delta accordingly, but I'm not sure they changed the part when you're over level. Don't think they did.

Edit: It's actually 50, not 20. It used to be 20, then it got increased to 50, then... no idea what it is now.

Further edit: to clarify 'the damage you deal', I should say it's the PL of the weapon that counts there, not your overall PL. The latter affects the damage you take, but damage given relates only to the level of the weapon you use.

• Gorf King changed the title to Destiny 2: 1337 Häkkes