IGNORED

Disappearing Games Magazines

tobert

Anyone else finding it increasingly rare to find a shop with a good stock of games magazines?  it maybe just my local WHSmiths has shut down has made it moe difficult tracking down the latest copy but generally most newsagents/supermarkets I visit these days have a pretty dismal selection (I don't think I have seen a copy of Edge or Games TM for a while for example).

Its seems like games mags have been in decline for months but it feels to me like the death knell is well and truly sounding.

not really, the WH Smiths in the station seems about the same as it's ever been, with Edge and Games TM and some Retro magazines. Most other shops (convenience store versions of tesco etc) only ever seemed to carry rubbish OFFICIALZ magazines for the xbox or playstation.

The big W H Smiths are a real eye opener for the sheer number of magazines that are still published in this country. 

Considering everytime I see the ABC figures they seem to be lower than the last time I saw them, you're probably not wrong that they are harder to find, they've had to follow the music charts and combine it with digital now to make the figures look a bit better. Some publications in other areas have already stopped printing and gone full digital as a last resort.

It's not as if this applies to every magazine though, some seem to be doing fine if they have a mass market appeal.

I only have subs to Retro Gamer and PC Gamer these days. Just a few years ago I had about 8 but I just find they weren't very relevant as mentioned above. Only thing that keeps me interested is decent articles but the games review stuff is a waste of time the internet.

My local WH Smith's has more Retro Gamer magazines than actual gaming ones. All types from the monthly issue to the annual to the snes book which considering when it launched it looked like it'd die after 3 issues is surprising. Of course it helps that Retro Gamer is a fantastic magazine.

I do miss the days of 3-4 different magazines for each format, the excitement in the news and previews and reading a review for a long awaited game. Now you can just see a YouTube video and know more about the game 2 years before launch than you really needed to know.

When I was young (as in, 8-13ish), I used to buy every issue of "Total!", which was a Nintendo magazine. I'd occasionally buy Mean Machines. At some point I started buying every issue of Games Master in the mid 90s, but stopped that around 2000. I haven't bought a games magazine since. 

Print is dead yet book sales are on the increase? The bubble will burst one day for electronic media. At the end of the day, reading on a tablet or computer is not the same as flicking through something physical, be it a book or magazine. Yes they may be out of date but that is where decent features come into there own. 

I have subs to Edge and Games TM and don't laugh Country Walking Magazine (it worked out to be £20 for 7 issues plus 12 months OS maps subscription  - worth £23.99 alone) as well as those 3 for £1 subs to several mags which I renew every few months.

Used to love gaming magazines, but these days all the information I could ever want about games is freely available on the internet. Why bother reading a writeup of somebody playing a game accompanied by some static pictures if you can see the game being played on YouTube? And that whole pseudo-academic pompous EDGE act went stale a decade ago too. The demise of early reviews, coverdiscs and scoops made them completely redundant.

I miss reading video games magazines, but they are so expensive when I see them in the shops, not an impulse purchase. Tried Edge again last year but didn't really enjoy reading it the way I used to. I think all the info about current games is covered so well on the internet, makes the magazines need to do something special to stand out.

Retro Gamer I do miss though, and can still see how it is relevant, as it's covering a different scene. Seeing a few people subbed has made me go for the 3 issues for £1 offer they have, then £22 for each 6 issues, which is not unreasonable.

And I think for magazines, print is far better than digital. I buy all my books on Kindle and not print, but magazines and illustrated books I want to read physical copies of still. 

I do miss the pre-internet days of Crash and Zzap64, there was something genuinely thrilling about waiting for those mags to come out each month, simply because they were our only source of games info back then. That and the awesome Oli Frey artwork of course. 

I'm welling up right now just thinking about it. 

1 hour ago, angel said:

My response to this is the vinyl industry is bigger than it has been in years, and growing.

That's a fad, though, it almost a fashion thing. And in relative terms vinyl sales are tiny. 2.6% of the total market.

My 11 year old niece got a Record Player and Adeles album for Christmas. She was playing it and couldnt work out why she could find her favourite track....

Until her Mum revealed you had to turn the record over..

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

I do miss the pre-internet days of Crash and Zzap64, there was something genuinely thrilling about waiting for those mags to come out each month, simply because they were our only source of games info back then. That and the awesome Oli Frey artwork of course. 

I'm welling up right now just thinking about it. 

Was telling my boys how if you used to get really stuck on a game it was tough, unless a friend could help or you had a magazine guide. Now help is a click away, and it's too easy to cheat rather than work stuff out. I remember a little sealed black leaflet that came with A Link to the Past in case you got stuck early on. And a Mario 64 guide from (I'm guessing) Super Play or N64 Magazine. Happy times.

My local WH Smiths very rarely has Retro Gamer any more. There's always Edge, a couple of others, but Retro Gamer became rarer and rarer and now it's gone.

That's not too bad - I've mostly gone digital for magazines now. Sure I miss 'collecting' issues with good covers, but storage space was always a problem. Stacks of magazines are heavy and they don't fit anywhere. I have stacks of FHM from 1996-2000 - thick as catalogues and useless to humanity.

Went to ASDA for the first time in a year or so last night and their selection of magazines has shrunk by about half. Edge, Games TM, Retro and the cool digital art magazine they used to sell are all gone even though they're still in publication.

What's the best way to get mags digitally these days? I subscribe to Retro Gamer on my iPad, but want to go fully Android when I upgrade. The thought of losing all my mags simply because they're on the wrong device is painful. There has to be some cross-platform thing. Not that I relish magazines going fully-digital. Like others here I remember the good old days of going into WH Smiths and finding a new edition of Crash or Zzap, I didn't even own a C64 but I still bought it. Later it was The One, CU Amiga, Amiga Shopper and, if I was desperate, Amiga Format.