Terminator 6: Dark Fate - Cameron to oversee - November 2019

12 hours ago, deerokus said:

Teh world's worst film critic, Peter Bradshaw, gave this 2/5 and so suddenly I'm looking forward to it. Same score he gave Joker. 

He’s the only one I give any credence to.

12 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

That’s damning with faint praise. Up until now that title was held by this:

Yeah, if you call something ‘the best Terminator sequel since T2’ you are basically saying ‘this is a pile of wank but I am being paid money’.

19 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

The best Terminator since T2 is that 3D show thing they did at Universal Studios. It was the shit

Seen it a few times, it was pretty great. Long gone though =(

You can find it on youtube, not quite the same experience though without the cool 3d effect.

I’ve just seen this and it is the best one since T2 ;-)

Zero expectations, saw it in 4DX and last blockbuster I watched was Gemini Man last week so there was a low bar for it to be remotely enjoyable, but

It was really good - it’s not perfect and does the over the top cgi explosion third act thing, but the actions good, it rattles along at a good pace, doesn’t over complicate things or disappear up it’s on arse. Arnie is great and Linda Hamilton giving snide looks, dropping f bombs and shooting numerous guns is what the series had been missing since t2

• Upvote 8

You know what, this was pretty good. It's not a particularly high bar, but it is better than 3, 4 and 5, and by quite a margin. 

Linda Hamilton is fabulous, as expected. It's great to see her kicking ass again. Mackenzie Davis makes for a strong heroine, and I really warmed to Natalia Reyes' character. It feels grounded in reality during the setup too, unlike the awful sequels, and the setting makes a nice change.

The fighting is too fast, a bit too Marvel; it just doesn't have the weight of the encounters in the first two. The action is also a bit OTT. It's impressive, for sure, and looks and sounds great (we saw it at an iSense cinema and the Atmos sound was incredible), but they really go overboard towards the end and my interest waned, which is a shame. Terminator films work best when they have one foot kept in the real world, but this crosses that line a bit too far. It does have some exciting sequences though.

Undoubtedly it'll be compared to Terminator 2, which is a little unfair as that's one of the greatest action films ever made. It isn't as good, of course, but if they can keep churning out Mission: Impossible, Fast & Furious and Marvel sequels, this certainly deserves a pass.

• Upvote 2

Yeah watched this tonight.

I feel bad for the couple that walked in thinking the film must have just started when it was 100 minutes in...

Anyway - I honestly thought the first half hour was great. I actually was thinking it was doing a great job.

However it did slow down a bit after that and I just lost interest in the story. T2 is my favourite movie so maybe a lot of unfair comparisons were made throughout. 

However I just dont feel the story was that great and I think there were still missed opportunitys.

Dont get me wrong I thought most of the cast were pretty great and did a good job. It's just I like my terminator movies to feel grounded and a lot of the big action scenes were too OTT for my liking. 

My thoughts will probably be more coherent tomorrow when I'm less disheartened, but off the top of my head some issues:

Spoiler

There was no build up, no terminator searching and stalking them as in T1 and T2. It went straight into explosions, which ruined the impact.

Grace needs injections to keep her going, but she also has a power cell for the same purpose? Not one or the the other?

No way would T2 Sarah be sitting drinking beer with Arnie. She would be fucking blind with rage.

Tentacle terminator? Yeah, okay.

Ed Furlong CGI was off, plus the body double for Arnie was the wrong shape. Yes, this is how much of a sad cunt I am.

Saw this last night and it was pretty good.  Not a patch on the first two but probably best of the rest. 

I thought the dialogue was very clunky regarding the 'twist' that it was the women that filled the John Conner role rather than her 'son'.  I think on it at least two occasions it was assumed by characters that her value was that of a 'womb' and it was her son that is the one that would try to save the world. But it was worded in such a way it stuck out. It wasn't even that much of a twist anyway.  It was only in T1 that they targeted the mum, in T2 they simply targeted John so it is not a brand new tactic by the machines. 

So they seemed to spend a bit of time on clunky dialogue pointing to a different conclusion (but being so pointed that you know that it is either going to be her herself or her daughter who the machines are really after) and all in service of a plot development that was reasonably obvious and in no way surprising.  Maybe it was meant to say something about Sarah Conner's prejudices that she is from a generation that would only assume that a man can lead. The problem is that such a view does not fit the Sarah Conner character at all who is shown to be wholly bad ass and could probably lead the resistance by herself. 

It is only a minor thing but it just seemed a weird plot point to try and develop. If you have seen a Terminator before, you can reasonably surmise the machines are after either the mother of someone important or the someone important themselves.  That fact that in the end it was indeed one of those eventualities is not a twist and I am not quite sure why they, very clumsily, spent so much effort trying to divert you away from one of the obvious outcomes to 'surprise' you when it turns out to simply be the other obvious outcome. The story delivered the twist as if it would be shocking, I imagine most of the audience had figured it out yonks ago. 

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Saw this last night and it was pretty good.  Not a patch on the first two but probably best of the rest. 

Reveal hidden contents

I thought the dialogue was very clunky regarding the 'twist' that it was the women that filled the John Conner role rather than her 'son'.  I think on it at least two occasions it was assumed by characters that her value was that of a 'womb' and it was her son that is the one that would try to save the world. But it was worded in such a way it stuck out. It wasn't even that much of a twist anyway.  It was only in T1 that they targeted the mum, in T2 they simply targeted John so it is not a brand new tactic by the machines. 

So they seemed to spend a bit of time on clunky dialogue pointing to a different conclusion (but being so pointed that you know that it is either going to be her herself or her daughter who the machines are really after) and all in service of a plot development that was reasonably obvious and in no way surprising.  Maybe it was meant to say something about Sarah Conner's prejudices that she is from a generation that would only assume that a man can lead. The problem is that such a view does not fit the Sarah Conner character at all who is shown to be wholly bad ass and could probably lead the resistance by herself. 

It is only a minor thing but it just seemed a weird plot point to try and develop. If you have seen a Terminator before, you can reasonably surmise the machines are after either the mother of someone important or the someone important themselves.  That fact that in the end it was indeed one of those eventualities is not a twist and I am not quite sure why they, very clumsily, spent so much effort trying to divert you away from one of the obvious outcomes to 'surprise' you when it turns out to simply be the other obvious outcome. The story delivered the twist as if it would be shocking, I imagine most of the audience had figured it out yonks ago. 

Spoiler

Yeah i thought it was too obvious that it wasn't for her womb. It was clearly her that needed to survive although - it was a twist but a pretty weak/expected twist.

I think it would have been pretty cool if they played with the time travel aspect somehow. Like, maybe that device that Grace had could be used to go into the future and perhaps the terminator (arnie) could have been sent in to the future to do something whilst the present day part of the film took place. They could have done more with the future aspect, something fans have wanted for a while. The set pieces were just there to look cool, especially the plane bit.

I thought it was a bit laughable how the terminator got a family etc. I must admit i thought this was a bit of a plot hole considering the reason the terminator from T2 shows compassion etc was because his neuro net processor was tampered with by John/Sarah. However, turns out that was a just in the directors cut so cannon.

14 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Anyway - I honestly thought the first half hour was great. I actually was thinking it was doing a great job.

However it did slow down a bit after that and I just lost interest in the story.

Yeah, I get this. The liked the setup (apart from the overabundance of flamenco guitar in the score), and the performances were solid, but the OTT ending lets it down. It actually held my interest for longer: 

Spoiler

The first two thirds flew by, and it wasn’t until they went to see Arnie that it started chugging for me. As synonymous as he is with the franchise - and I actually liked the idea of several T100s being sent back to kill John - he felt dreadfully shoe-horned in in the final act.

Perhaps his purpose should have been to just load them up with guns, pat them on the back, and send them on their merry way? Or they could have killed him off while he saves them from a Rev 9 encounter before the finale.

5 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:
Spoiler

I thought it was a bit laughable how the terminator got a family etc. I must admit i thought this was a bit of a plot hole considering the reason the terminator from T2 shows compassion etc was because his neuro net processor was tampered with by John/Sarah. However, turns out that was a just in the directors cut so cannon.

Yes, I thought this :lol:

Spoiler

It clearly follows the theatrical cut of T2. Which is fine, as that’s James Cameron’s preferred cut.

2 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

How did 

Hide contents

Arnie get the coordinates for the other terminators if they came from a different future to him?

Spoiler

Wasn’t this explained by him being able to detect some kind of energy spike when someone appears in the present day?

This was the weakest part of the plot, really, and the encrypted text messages. I’d have been fine with Sarah as a lone terminator-hunter, finding them herself. No need to get Arnie involved.

Really enjoyed this, as noted above there are weak bits that could have been organised better but I was fine with it.

Spoiler

I thought the premise of the Augments was really interesting and a great idea, would like a whole load more of that and the future fighting too

My two word review would be... fucking awesome!

For the first time since the second film, I really felt they were being relentlessly pursued by something genuinely terrifying. It could never recreate the thrill of the first or even second film, but all credit to Miller, he gave the Rev 9 a real menace which we haven't had since T2.

They pitched the plot, the humour and the ratio of action to story just right too. Arnie and Linda returned to their roles with complete plausibility.

It was heavy with the CGI in places and there were a few moments which stretched credulity to the very edge, but if you've enjoyed previous Terminator films, you'd be hard pressed to come away from this dissapointed.

• Upvote 6
On 23/10/2019 at 01:20, deerokus said:

Teh world's worst film critic, Peter Bradshaw, gave this 2/5 and so suddenly I'm looking forward to it. Same score he gave Joker. 

That is encouraging. I wasn't going to bother with this movie but a negative Bradshaw review has tipped me closer.

• Upvote 3

I can't believe Cameron let them ALIEN 3, T2.

He owes Fincher an apology. 

I was enjoying the first half hour or so. The action felt bright and clean and visceral. It was rushing a bit, felt like they could have spent an extra ten minutes setting up Dani's character and seeing the terminator/protector searching a little more to find her.  But I was going with it... But then I think the movie just completely shits the bed. With the bad guy just turning up out of nowhere the second the character finish their exposition. HE'S HERE! No build up. No tension. Just crashing dark, murkey CGI. I pretty much despised the last half hour when it goes full INDIANA JONES 4 with people being able to survive anything as long as they're wearing a seatbelt.

Anyone else find it weird that they make such a big deal of the immigration angle but his has no bearing whatsoever to the rest of the plot?

From the trailers I expected a comment on how the rich west is too connected to machines/internet and it made us easy targets. The new saviour would come from the "third world". Just something to bring it together a bit more. But then they have her come from mexico city. She might as well have come from LA again. It added nothing new. 

Also, who was the black dude she calls up for help? Did I miss something? 

People seem to be digging the flick and saying it's the third best... I think it's the worst one yet...  

The script was so bad... The "power source" thing at the end was laughable. 

15 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

That is encouraging. I wasn't going to bother with this movie but a negative Bradshaw review has tipped me closer.

Once again, Bradshaw is pretty much the only modern reviewer I trust. I’m bemused that anyone thinks otherwise.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 2
2 hours ago, Despin said:

It was rushing a bit, felt like they could have spent an extra ten minutes setting up Dani's character and seeing the terminator/protector searching a little more to find her. 

I agree with this, it did kick off very quickly early on. The running time of the film is already pretty long, but I think they could have trimmed some of the fat around the middle and given us ten more minutes to get to know Dani a little better before the action kicks in.