rllmuk
Goose

Terminator 6: Dark Fate - Cameron to oversee - November 2019

File under what the hell? It's a looong way off if it does happen.From /film - 

So yes, the news that Terminator 6 is in the works is a surprise and yes, the news that The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day director James Cameron is coming back to “godfather” the film and wants Deadpool director Tim Miller to direct is an even bigger surprise.

If you had forgotten that Terminator: Genisys even existed, no one would blame you. The film came and went back in 2015, earning scathing reviews, shrugs from audiences, and lackluster money at the box office. Despite being the first in a planned trilogy, complete with a huge cliffhanger, no one seemed to be crying for another film.

And now James Cameron has to walk into the scene and get my hopes up. Although he offered up some nice words about Genisys around its original release, he hasn’t been directly involved in these movies since part two.

However, Deadline reports that he’ll be getting the rights to the Terminator series back in 2019 and intends to be personally involved in the next movie. His exact role isn’t specified, but he won’t be directing (he’s got those four Avatar sequels on his plate). Deadline breaks out the title “godfather,” which implies a producer or executive producer role. In any case, Cameron wants Tim Miller, who surprised just about everyone with Deadpool last year, to helm whatever this movie will be.

A reboot? A remake? A proper sequel? A proper sequel that ignores everything that came after Terminator 2: Judgment Day? It’s not clear at the moment, but it seems that SkyDance’s David Ellison will bankroll the production and is currently “engaging some top-flight science fiction authors” to help break the story. Whatever it is.

We’re staring at a house of cards right now. Cameron could get sidetracked by those Avatar movies. Miller could politely decline the gig. The people who throw money at film financiers may look at the box office haul of the previous two Terminator movies and decide to invest elsewhere. It’s not even clear if Arnold Schwarzenegger will be back (ha), especially since Genisys had to bend over backwards to explain the ageless robot’s aged appearance. Who knows what’s going to happen?

At the same time…how long has it been since you’ve watched the first two Terminator movies? They’re aces. They’re two of the best science fiction movies ever made. I never get tired of them. They’re just about perfect. If Cameron thinks there’s another story here and wants to get personally involved, then damn it, lead the way, sir.

The only reason I can see for Cameron going back to TERMINATOR, is if he had a cool way of merging it with AVATAR. To unify his fictional universe. Make it canon. They already share a visual/idea DNA. But god knows how he'll do it. It's always killed him seeing others "fuck up" what he saw as "his star wars". He was up for T3 at one point when he was going to get the rights himself. 

But let's face it. Unless he's at the very least writing it himself, who cares.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Merging the Terminator universe with the Avatar universe?

:blink:

Skynet creates a sexy new John Conner killing machine using the universe's rarest metal, unobtanium, and it's up to a band of spear-wielding blue pixies led by Sarah Conner to stop the unstoppable... T1! 

I'm [Despin] out. 

• Upvote 9

The whole concept of Terminator is quite dated now - the robot that has to kill - when you consider where we are in terms of the Internet, cyber security, stuxnet - lines of code being used to kill rather than metal monsters. If Cameron could somehow tackle this with a new generation of terminator that isn't just a silly memory stick like in Besson's Lucy, and combine this 'hacker menace' with the Terminator, and John Connor, and all the iconic story elements, it could be a great way to do a real Terminator 3. It's just quite hard to envisage how you might do that. Maybe some kind of synthetic virus that infects people and makes them kill as a hive mind, and retains the form of the first victim (like Robert Patrick with liquid terminator). A biological bot net basically, controlled by Cyberdyne. Though then it starts to resemble a zombie film.

• Upvote 1

Given that Cameron was full of praise for Genisys in those promotional videos which may or may not have been coerced out of him via a pistol aimed at his head off screen, I'm not really sure how good a new Terminator from him would be, and where it'd sit on the scale of shame in between the other legendary directors who took a sledgehammer to our memories themselves with their return to their cult franchise's. Genisys was genuinely excruciatingly painful to endure as a Terminator fan -uniquely the worst film I've ever seen - I can't comprehend how the man who invented it all coped with its inexplicable awfulness or what loss of critical faculty and integrity it took to mutter any positive words about it. 

Terminator was perfect at two films, but everyone watches the opening of the original and hopes for more of those battles don't they ?

Also I hated Avatar for its intolerable length and wrecked promise of something interesting. Someone needs to steal all his money and take all the technology away from him, but he's such a whore he'd work out a way to make a billion profit from a $60m dollar budget. 

Off topic: I struggle with apostrophes. Is the their cult franchise's correct? I never know if there should be one. I think their is the ownership of just the one I'm referring to. Oh I don't know. (Crystal Skull and Prometheus btw obv)

15 hours ago, pervent aline perio grow d said:

Terminator was perfect at two films, but everyone watches the opening of the original and hopes for more of those battles don't they ?

No. What made Terminator and T2 cool and continues to make them cool is this robot hiding in plain sight and some people fleeing it in the everyday world. Army dudes and robots with rayguns in a grey wasteland is good scene setting but - and history has proven me right time and again in every franchise that does their version of "the future war" - pure pish as a story. 

• Upvote 5

If Cameron is just sticking his name on it then why ever pay attention. If he was directing maybe, but I'm sure he's "produced" utter crap as that job title at least some of the time means nothing.

• Upvote 1

@englishbob Now Avatar was very disappointing, but come on.

Incidentially, Terminator 2's script is amazingly bland considering how incredible the film was. The story is all there, it's just so lacklustre in its descriptions, and the dialogue is so workmanlike. Shows what a great director and a great cast can do.

Arnie is way, way, way too old now. In 4 years (probably more like 6 years), he'll be 73 or 75 as he's 69 years old now. Without him, the films are terrible. Christian Bale's Terminator film was absolutely terrible. I've not seen the last one. Hopefully, this doesn't happen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, barkbat said:

@englishbob Now Avatar was very disappointing, but come on.

The characters where defined by the rubbish that came out of their mouths. The dialogue is amongst the most cringe-worthy of any film made beyond the 90's

Set in the mid 22nd century and still going around calling others a son of a bitch. Sad

Its the only film in recent memory where Cameron changed his mind and the re-releases on DVD contained a family audio track that removed all of the stupidity in what is a PG film masquerading as something more.

6 hours ago, Alex W. said:

No. What made Terminator and T2 cool and continues to make them cool is this robot hiding in plain sight and some people fleeing it in the everyday world. Army dudes and robots with rayguns in a grey wasteland is good scene setting but - and history has proven me right time and again in every franchise that does their version of "the future war" - pure pish as a story. 

Bob Chipman did a video a few days ago saying something similar. That the appeal of Terminator and T2 lies in them being cat and mouse chase thrillers with time travel used to bring together a target, a robot, and a bodyguard; and you can have that without Arnie, future war, or the Connors.

His pitch is to ignore everything set in the franchise after T2, and reverse several of the series' main concepts: present the future society as a good place (T2's successful destruction of Skynet leads to a robotics industry-fuelled utopia), have the time travelling assassin be a human, have the present-day target be someone fundamental in creating that good future rather than fighting against it (he suggests Miles Dyson's daughter), and have the robot bodyguard be an early present-day prototype that's nowhere near as strong as the T-800 and no match for the human assassin's future weaponry.

You can dispute whether his pitch is a good idea (his idea to have the future assassin be a human disillusioned about having no place in the future utopia sounds kind of reminiscent of Star Trek Beyond, and would take a lot of work to make convincing), but his last proposal is something most of us can agree with: that a Terminator chase thriller doesn't have to be a megabudget blockbuster, and that something more on the scale of John Wick could work better.

• Upvote 4

Bar the "everything's alright in the future" setting that's not far off the plot to the now 25 year old Terminator Tempest comic; a squad of rebels goes back in time to assassinate the creator of Skynet, a squad of robots go back to protect him.

It was decent.

Not knowing that this was an older thread, and given this year and last, when I saw "Deadline reports James Cam…" in the main index I thought "Oh fuck, now James Cameron has died! :( "

Anyway. No surprise, given how awful Genysis (or is it Genisys?) was.

On 22/01/2017 at 12:33, englishbob said:

Its the only film in recent memory where Cameron changed his mind and the re-releases on DVD contained a family audio track that removed all of the stupidity in what is a PG film masquerading as something more.

IDGI

ScreenDaily sat down for a chat with Arnold Schwarzenegger at the Cannes Film Festival in France where he confirmed that he will star in the new Terminator sequel, “It is back. It is moving forward. [Cameron] has some good ideas of how to continue with the franchise. I will be in the movie

Capture.PNG.0a80707eeb6ca48e5afc90cccc1a0db1.PNG

Cameron thinking this could be the start of a trilogy - comments from News.com.au via Den of Geek 

He then sort of answers that question be adding that “I am in discussions with David Ellison, who is the current rights holder globally for the Terminator franchise and the rights in the US market revert to me under US copyright law in a year and a half so he and I are talking about what we can do. Right now we are leaning toward doing a three-film arc and reinventing it”

An announcement won’t be forthcoming until “we get past the next couple of hurdles”.

That said, Cameron’s directorial commitment is to the four Avatar films he’s going to spend the bulk of his next decade making. Whatever shape the new Terminator series comes in, it’s very unlikely he’ll be directing one of the movies himself.

My dream: Have Cameron finish the original trilogy with a proper T3. Have Dwayne Johnson as the good Terminator. I'd love him to be the bad one but I don't think he'd want to be it at this stage of his career.