So the Holy Grail is...

Spoiler

... a thermos flask, with a teacup on the end. :lol:

This is fantastic, I fucking love it. 

edit:

Spoiler

It was just a thermos flask with holy water. :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Plissken said:

One episode in. This is excellent. I was worried that Sheen and Tennant would overdo it but they are both great.

Well trying to manage my expectations is proving difficult. 

I read the book when it was released, thought it was a 6/10 and am somewhat bemused at the reputation it has gained over the years. It's hardly the best work either of them have put out. 

Still, the tv show looks excellent and my kind of weird

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, sandman said:

I read the book when it was released, thought it was a 6/10 and am somewhat bemused at the reputation it has gained over the years. It's hardly the best work either of them have put out. 

It's early Pratchett, who really didn't get into his stride until the later Ankh Morphok novels (though I loved Small Gods at the time, when I was twelve, it's a bit much now). But episode one does do the book justice.

I was a bit surprised during my reread early this year how little the book features Crowley and Azipharel, and that is something that would need to be addressed if this was written today because Them were a bit... crap. But if they're just doing a straight adaption apart from Gabriel's character, so be it.

You can definitely see the money just from the number of distinct sets.

Final episode spoiler:

Spoiler

"God does not play games with the universe."

"Where have you been?"

:lol:

1 hour ago, sandman said:

I think it definitely among their best work. But then having had a Catholic secondary education in the heart of Lancashire witch country I got just about every reference they were aiming at.

I love TP and this book in particular but everything aside from David Tennant in this is bugging the shit out of me. It's incredibly faithful to the source material but there's a hell of a lot of filler and it just seems a bit directionless at the minute. I'm still enjoying it and the jokes that hit are brilliant but something about it feels a bit forced. 

3 hours ago, Starbreaker said:

I love TP and this book in particular but everything aside from David Tennant in this is bugging the shit out of me. It's incredibly faithful to the source material but there's a hell of a lot of filler and it just seems a bit directionless at the minute. I'm still enjoying it and the jokes that hit are brilliant but something about it feels a bit forced. 

I think those complaints can also be laid at the source material.

• Upvote 2

Two episodes in because I'm trying to make it last but I think it's probably time to admit to myself that, despite claiming to be straight, I'm utterly in love with David Tennant. I'd watch it if it was just him sitting on his throne trying to order a Chinese down the phone.

Also two eps in, it’s wonderful. I’ve been hoping they don’t fuck it up, and seems to be good so far. Frances as god/Narrator is brilliant. 

Love the queen playing in his car every time, hope they don’t explain that one. 

1 hour ago, And said:

Also two eps in, it’s wonderful. I’ve been hoping they don’t fuck it up, and seems to be good so far. Frances as god/Narrator is brilliant. 

Love the queen playing in his car every time, hope they don’t explain that one. 

At the Q&A thing, the director was saying that Meryl Streep was the other actress they had in mind for God but Gaiman pulled some favours  to get Frances on board. She had a really tight schedule but was pulled in with the script and essentially did the voice over recordings from her hotel room toilet suite with towels up surrounding her. :lol: 

Watched the first episode last night and thought I was watching Hitchhikers Guide  to the Galaxy for the first 5 minutes.

Very genteel compared to other stuff I’be been watching recently like Sabrina, and none the worse for it. Will watch more...

Just finished. Not read the book for comparison, but I enjoyed it quite a lot. Probably better than I had hoped for, looked great and I couldn't believe how many recognisable people were in it.

The series is very very good. It's about the best adaptation they could do from the book. It isn't perfect, the narration is occasionally too intrusive, it's style is not going to work for everyone and it has that hammy style of acting where everyone is turned up to 11. But it's probably as faithful and still workable as you can get, and all in all its very good and very fun.

Slightly disappointed that some of my favourite scenes got cut but if you were going to trim stuff they would be amongst the first to go so no shock.

Definitely worth a watch.

Chuck McGill can fuck off with that accent. 

I dunno, I'm four episodes in and I don't feel like I'm watching it out of enjoyment. I'm just interested in seeing how it all ends. 

Tennant is a delight. Much like season one of Jessica Jones, he's the only reason I'm plodding on. 

51 minutes ago, John Edward Gammell said:

Chuck McGill can fuck off with that accent

I thought he was fine for the most part. I've heard far worse in other shows and movies. 

21 hours ago, NexivRed said:

David Tennant channeling Bill Nighy. Love it. 

Weird. I was going to post that verbatim after seeing episode 1. However, I am feeling a bit luke warm about it so far. It's very jolly hockey sticks.

Totally binged from start to finish last night. It's probably been over 25 years since I read the book (when did it come out?) But most of the story points I do remember were there.

Thought the casting was absolutely spot on. It was fun in places, but not laugh a minute, and was utterly charming. Great acting, great script and lush visuals all added up to something quite special. 

• Upvote 1

Three episodes in and I like but I don't love it. That feels unfair since it's still fun and faithful to the source. 

I loved the book when I read it and I'm sure I'd be complaining if they changed it up to make it more dramatic. 

An affectionate pat on the head / 10.

Finished last night. Loved it. The weakest aspect were the 4 horsemen, mainly death, looked a bit pound shop dr.who. 

Halfway through Episode 3, fucking hell, the intro credits didn't roll for 28 minutes!!!
Had to stop there as it was getting late, but I am really enjoying it so far, really glad I only listened to the book once, as it all seems fresh, only remembering a few things here and there :)

1 hour ago, MikeBeaver said:

Halfway through Episode 3, fucking hell, the intro credits didn't roll for 28 minutes!!!

Same hahahaha. Thought I'd fucked up somehow

Thorough enjoying this :)