Professor Puzzles

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

Well this came out of nowhere. It's a remake of Fire Emblem: Gaiden on the NES but now for the 3DS! It has dungeons and villages like a normal RPG but with the tactical battles of your usual Fire Emblem games and it looks pretty cool, if not quite as polished as the last FE 3DS games (no Yosuke Kozaki character designs either.)

HERE IS TRAILER! EXCITEMENT!

NoA have it down for a US launch on May the 19th. No news of an EU release just yet.

HOLD IT!

Nintendo UK release is also May 19th!

• Upvote 3

Ah, it is good to see a Fire Emblem game in the vein of the older entries again. This way, I can keep ignoring Fire Emblem Fates.

On another note: that echoes subtitle suggests this may be the first in a line of possible remakes of older entries. A bit like the NES mini having a Nintendo Classic brand.

Oooh! This looks pretty cool! Would have been great to have had this release in time for Christmas but hey ho. Really good to see on 3DS. Looks better than the Switch Warriors title imo! :)

• Upvote 1

Really looking forward to this, and I hope it sticks to the Gaiden template without feeling the need to integrate the 3DS games' 'innovations'. I'm also digging the 2D art. I imagine it'll be forever until we see a Western release, mind.

Wouldn't suprise at all if it was fast tracked in development. IS has gotten quite a bit out of their engine for Awakening.

1 minute ago, Wiper said:

I imagine it'll be forever until we see a Western release, mind.

Nintendo UK twitter mentions this is out on May 19th 2017.

• Upvote 1

Wow, that's a hell of a turnaround compared to the previous games. Almost as if they actually started their localising early on, rather than leaving it to the last minute! A very pleasant surprise.

Glad this is a thing. Fates was trying far too hard to appeal to the obsessive fan market. Hopefully the series continues down this path and goes back to how it used to be now it is a major franchise for Nintendo.

Never expected it so soon however, May 19th, I'm going to have to import it from the UK. I'm very excited about this.

Hopefully this is successful and we get an Echoes remake of Genaology of the Holy War.

15 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

Glad this is a thing. Fates was trying far too hard to appeal to the obsessive fan market. Hopefully the series continues down this path and goes back to how it used to be now it is a major franchise for Nintendo.

But wouldn't the lesson Nintendo have learnt for how to revive a near-death series is to pander and turn it into a Waifu simulator? best selling one an all that, especially judging by the comments about the mobile game :P

Special Edition of this game has been announced -

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/21/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia-limited-edition-includes-cd-artbook/ -

The Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Limited Edition starts with typical collector’s edition inclusions. People receive a hardcover Valentia Arkbook and a Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Sound Selection CD. This is accompanied by a three pin set that shows pixelated versions of Alm, Celica, and Marth. You also get a reversible cover that has the new box art on one side and another inspired by Fire Emblem Gaiden on the other.

European edition also has the 2 game specific amiibos included,

Trailer for the game -

• Upvote 1

Nice to see that the people responsible for casting and directing the voice actors of Breath of the Wild are clearly also responsible for Nintendo's trailers.

The limited edition is intermittently popping up for pre-orders which are then selling out -

Shopto.net had it on Saturday - http://www.shopto.net/3ds-2ds-ds/3ds/3DSFI57-fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia-limited-edition

Amazon.co.uk had it earlier today - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XSGFB42/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490720897&sr=8-2&keywords=shadows+of+valentia

Nintendo Store UK are putting them up sporadically too - https://store.nintendo.co.uk/home.dept

No listing at Game.co.uk as of yet.

1 hour ago, Djx said:

The limited edition is intermittently popping up for pre-orders which are then selling out -

Shopto.net had it on Saturday - http://www.shopto.net/3ds-2ds-ds/3ds/3DSFI57-fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia-limited-edition

Amazon.co.uk had it earlier today - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XSGFB42/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490720897&sr=8-2&keywords=shadows+of+valentia

Nintendo Store UK are putting them up sporadically too - https://store.nintendo.co.uk/home.dept

No listing at Game.co.uk as of yet.

Damn. Will be gutted if I miss this. I love fire emblem. It pains me constantly that it's not considered retro enough to go in the cover of retro gamer.

I'm signed up for the reminder with the NIntendo store so if it sells out before I receive one I will be very annoyed. If Amazon and ShopTo have it that hopefully means it isn't GAME exclusive like the Fates LE.

1 hour ago, strider said:

Damn. Will be gutted if I miss this. I love fire emblem. It pains me constantly that it's not considered retro enough to go in the cover of retro gamer.

Surely NES and SNES era Fire Emblem would be valid? A retrospective of the series, sparked off by this remake - seems like a perfect Retro Gamer cover feature!

3 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Surely NES and SNES era Fire Emblem would be valid? A retrospective of the series, sparked off by this remake - seems like a perfect Retro Gamer cover feature!

Yep! And failing that surely you can cover the GBA games by now?

10 hours ago, matt0 said:

Yep! And failing that surely you can cover the GBA games by now?

I feel the problem with fire emblem is that while it has risen in popularity in recent years, many still don't see it as a retro franchise due to it starting off here with the GameCube and GTA releases. it's probably my favourite Nintendo franchise but my gut tells me it might not be right for us right now. There's a few more games on the way yet though, so I might change my mind.

6 minutes ago, strider said:

I feel the problem with fire emblem is that while it has risen in popularity in recent years, many still don't see it as a retro franchise due to it starting off here with the GameCube and GTA releases. it's probably my favourite Nintendo franchise but my gut tells me it might not be right for us right now. There's a few more games on the way yet though, so I might change my mind.

I see where you're coming from but the GBA Fire Emblems are older now than some of the games RG was covering when it first started were! 

Amazon had another restock of the SE at 6 this morning and promptly sold out in minutes. :( Holy crap, this sucks trying to grab a copy. Does anyone know what the deal is with pre-ordering from Game? They seem to be the only place still taking orders. Seems really dodgy since everyone else are sold out. Is there some catch other than them charging a little more?