Necromunda - Now with Hired Guns

Nathan Wind

It's happening!  I've been playing a lot of Mordheim and Blood Bowl recently so this announcement couldn't have come at a better time.  Loved the board game!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-18-game-based-on-warhammer-40-000s-necromunda-announced

It's by the guys that did Mordheim as well.  They're a great developer and pay lots of attention to feedback from the players :) 

Bodes well.

Dunno where you heard that, Mordheim is great.  There was negative feedback during the early access period but they listened to the players and have made a very good game of it.

Edit - I think a lot of people struggle with what Mordheim is, probably mistaking it for something more like a third person tactical RPG, which it's not.  It can be horribly cruel but it's the long-game that you should be playing.  You can take a well levelled warband into a mission and have half of them wiped out or injured beyond use, but ultimately, it's the meta-game of faction reputation and veteran skills that matters because they're persistent throughout the physical changes to your warband.  I would imagine a lot of people get frustrated and think it's punishingly unfair but that is the game.  Necromunda should be similar.  Bllod Bowl's the same. Space Hulk's the same. These dice-rolling games are about minimizing risk, but you can never negate it entirely and they are brutal. 

It was general negative buzz on podcasts that put me off Mordheim, Crate and Crowbar especially savaged it. Mainly interface and presentation issues more than the nature of the game.

I've got one of the recent Space Hulk adaptations and it shows up how hard it can be bringing these games on to computer. It's a very accurate reproduction of the board game so inherently fun on that level but its lost some indefinable something in the translation.

Yep, I dropped Mordheim (despite loving the boardgame) thanks to the atrocious interface. A bit worried the same team have been given Necromunda, particularly given its increased focus on dense, vertical levels. 

• 3 weeks later...

New info on RPS -

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/08/necromunda-underhive-wars-details/

“You build your squad, much as you did in Mordheim, and the members follow you, gain experience and progress. That’s very dear to us, the progression, and we want to go much further than we did in Mordheim. There are other elements we’re not talking about yet, but there will be a lot more depth and replayability. We want to open up the various build opportunities for each character to give a wide range of strategic possibilities.

The architecture will be responsible for the biggest tactical shift. Combat mostly takes place from a distance rather than up close and personal, and weapon ranges will be one of the most important tactical considerations. Using cover to get close enough to fire a high power, low range weapon, or pinning opponents down with sniper fire. Range isn’t just horizontal lines across the battlefield though, you’ll need to keep track of enemies above and below.

It’s basically a mix of Judge Dredd, Mad Max and Sons of Anarchy.

• 4 years later...

This turned out to be pretty dull, I thought.  I bought it in early access but got a refund. 

However, a new Necromunda game, Hired Gun, has just been revealed and it looks immense!  Looks like the DOOM reboot.  Fast, brutal.  Best of all, it's out in June!

Seems the devs didn't read all the original Munda lore, which is fragmented, intentionally so like rumours across the empire that fell apart into conflicting testemony - but actually makes sense if you courtroom the evidence back together. Hiveworlds are the size of Earth's moon and originally did uh, mushroom farming. Really rare ones to keep the Emperor more alive, you know - on Quorn or somesuch? It was what the devs were eating in their Nottingham flat or something. Except one kid had a massive argument with me it mined Frosties, so in the end so weren't banned from Workshop everyone officially agreed Emp ate Special K cereal. This is in actual fact somewhere in the company database - but called Special Kenisis, as in his psychic powers, that all the mutant rats become infected by.

True story though, but half the original Halo scenery is ripped off from the first box set. Like, sort it out Workshop that's not a knifeyspoony.

1 hour ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Oh, this is by the "E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy" guys.

Thanks for the heads up. Haven't played an fps for a long time, I'll keep an eye on this!

It sure is unique.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really like the look of this, partly fuelled by getting back into GW stuff recently. After Anthem and Cyberpunk though, I'm waiting until a few reviews before I jump in. Looks great though.

Yeah, likely be on Xbox for me too. Partly because the X should run it no problem, partly because my PC is five years old, and partly because I spend all day working on it, I'd rather do my gaming elsewhere!

That Eye review above does give me a lot more hope for this game. I didn't realise they also did a space hulk game so they know the universe well. Anyway, Eye proved they can do over the top combat with rpg systems and some of the weaponry is straight out of what you'd expect in Necromunda, like dual weilding SMGs and swords. And the review says warhammer 40k was one of Eye's influences.

I think this will hinge on how fun the combat is and whether there's enough variety to make the bounties repeatable.

MOAR FOOL YOU, DEEFIE.

My opinion is entirely redundant as I don't have a PS5 but this appeals so much more than ME:LE and R&C. I'd absolutely have bought Returnal, mind.

I've got some MS reward points that'll go towards this when I get off my arse and redeem them. I'm with @Alan Stock and do wonder about whether the game is going to have enough variety to keep it interesting, but by the same token it's 30 fucking quid. And £25 of that will be 'free' credit. I like that kind of maths/mental gymnastic reasoning.

I still buy any game that has a GW license attached even though the hit rate of good to shit games is far from perfect.

My only real concern about this is that when they upped the difficulty on Space Hulk: Deathwing, they did it just by turning the enemies into bullet sponges. I'm hoping they don't do the same here.