rllmuk
Mystacon

Have you ever designed a tabletop game?

I came up with an idea I thought would be fun for me to play with my kids. 

It was a race to the finish style game that gave you the choice of visiting three locations to collect items needed to battle a randomly selected boss at the end.

Edit: deleted the rest seeing as I’m actually going to try and make it :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

I once had an idea in my head for a card game based on online communities where one deck had made-up "events" that you would draw from each round (general election voting opens, E3 begins, the members of Steps are reunited, Half-Life 3 is announced, community is back online after several days of maintenance) and the other had a combination of staple responses and generalised "behaviours" that would be played by everyone (arguing the merits of FOV sliders, comparing notes with GAF, unabated shitposting, picard.jpg, storming off) as they battled to find the most fitting or humorous reaction to such an event. The winner gets a point, you can't vote for your own play, and once all event cards are played the one with the most points wins.

But the more I thought about it the worse it sounded. This is why I seldom go in this folder.

EDIT: and I'm pretty sure someone did a way better "rllmuk the game" concept ages ago so fml.

On 4/1/2018 at 15:19, NexivRed said:

So yeah, a rough idea. I won’t tell you what I named it because I was informed, (after they stopped laughing), that it was dreadful. I’ll see if I can dig out the bits I’d made already though. 

I hope it wasn't Pathfinder: The Adventure Card Game or were going to have legal issues.

I edited one once for a friends husband.

It wasnt the best but it was fun enough.

He sent me a copy of it, he did print some up and then sold them as PDF on drivethru RPG. They have taken it down now.

Was a sci fi dystopian rpg. Ill pop up a PDF if I can find it on my google drive and theres anyone interested in taking a wee look.

I'm in the process of creating a ridiculously epic ( in length )  dungeon crawlery board game. This is the game I mentioned I was working on some time ago in the " what are you doing this year ( or something like that ) named thread a few years ago. I now have a rulebook in prototype form which needs testing once I have board pieces and items and cards ready. So its well under way. I'd probably want to share some of it online with others within a year once I've finished up some of the art side.

Just wondering how to go about copyrighting anything. Whether its decent or a total dud, I'd rather not take the risk of sharing things that I feel might be original or copyable. Any advice welcomed!

I’m designing one at the moment and I’m not saying a single thing about it. I think until you’ve got at least a developed prototype there’s not much to be gained. Hopefully someone can give a better answer than that. 

If I wanted to make a game where you have to do enough maths for it to be more realistic for the players to open up a spreadsheet and fill out values I’d have almost finished. I do not want to make that game, so there’s quite a long way to go. There are probably too many mechanics too. And there is a license that I would love. All your basic new-designer problems, basically.

But I increasingly think I might be on to something. Which is nice.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, mrpranny said:

Thanks, seems wise advice. Best of luck!

I don’t know it’s wholly accurate advice, but it feels sensible.

And good luck to you, obviously. I’ll buy a copy of yours if you buy one of mine...

2 hours ago, mrpranny said:

I'm in the process of creating a ridiculously epic ( in length )  dungeon crawlery board game. This is the game I mentioned I was working on some time ago in the " what are you doing this year ( or something like that ) named thread a few years ago. I now have a rulebook in prototype form which needs testing once I have board pieces and items and cards ready. So its well under way. I'd probably want to share some of it online with others within a year once I've finished up some of the art side.

Just wondering how to go about copyrighting anything. Whether its decent or a total dud, I'd rather not take the risk of sharing things that I feel might be original or copyable. Any advice welcomed!

You don't need to copywrite anything (you can't copywrite mechanics anyhow). Best thing to do is share it when it's at a point you're happy with- if it's so good it's worth trashing a reputation to steal then it'll just be worth seeking a contract to publish instead. For showing stuff off, the best thing is at playtest meetups, however, if you're playtesting make sure you give people an out after x number of minutes for big long games, it'll make them much more likely to playtest, and ensure you payback by playtesting one of theirs. There's also a protspiel event in Nottingham this year, which could be owrth checking out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rev said:

I don’t know it’s wholly accurate advice, but it feels sensible.

And good luck to you, obviously. I’ll buy a copy of yours if you buy one of mine...

Sure thing. Although the cost of mine, judging by the amount of cardboard,  is looking steep. I won't hold you to it ;)

2 hours ago, therearerules said:

You don't need to copywrite anything (you can't copywrite mechanics anyhow). Best thing to do is share it when it's at a point you're happy with- if it's so good it's worth trashing a reputation to steal then it'll just be worth seeking a contract to publish instead. For showing stuff off, the best thing is at playtest meetups, however, if you're playtesting make sure you give people an out after x number of minutes for big long games, it'll make them much more likely to playtest, and ensure you payback by playtesting one of theirs. There's also a protspiel event in Nottingham this year, which could be owrth checking out.

That's great cheers! I guess I'll put some stuff up here next year then and probably some of the art side in Illustration thread. Protospiel seems a great idea for an event, just checked the website

I've had an idea for a gig themed deck builder called Caught In A Mosh for a number of years now, and I'll periodically pull it out of mothballs, try and figure out how it works and then get frustrated and inevitably chuck it all back in a drawer because I can come up with cool themes and wicked ideas for mechanics but when it comes to the maths of it all my brain shits itself and then falls into a coma.

Also I have vague recollection of talking to @michael about this and basically one of the biggest road blocks people come up against is worrying about people stealing their ideas and so they don't talk about it when in reality, and I mean this in the nicest way, nobody gives a fuck. Just talk about it and do it. Says the guy that's been thinking about a game for about 8 years.

• Upvote 2

Part of the reason I said I wouldn’t say anything is keeping it safe from being stolen, but it is also keeping it safe from getting intoxicated by other people’s suggestions. I know what game I want to make, if someone more experienced than me says “you should do this” I’ll be tempted to do that, then someone else suggests something else and suddenly you’re herding cats. You’re not getting the feedback you need before you’ve actually got things approximately where you want them. “Do you prefer this, or this? Or maybe this?” is always better than “What do you think of..?”

This is mostly gleaned from other creative endeavours, but I don’t think it’s different. 

• Upvote 1

On 03/09/2019 at 02:47, mrpranny said:

None from me, but if you're on twitter I'd recommend shooting that question to James at Needy Cat Games. He's a top bloke and full of useful info on stuff like this.

• Upvote 1