Splatoon 2 - Chicken vs Egg Splatfest this weekend!

strawdonkey

It's a limited time event where you choose a side and battle over a weekend to see which is superior. At the end depending on how high you got in ranks you get snails which can be used to tailor gear abilities. Someone will explain that bit better because I just liked getting to "X Queen" of whatever side I chose and have never actually used the snails.

57 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

As someone who only bought Splatoon about 3-4 months ago, what is so special about Splatfests and what should I be doing?

You choose a side - in this case either "Mayo" or "Ketchup", then during the splatfest you are teamed up with other people who selected the same side, and pitched against teams made up of people that selected the opposite option. At the end of the event, the number of people that chose each side, and the number of wins each side managed, is added up and a winner declared.

It's just turf war, but you're on one team or another and get quite oddly competitive about a condiment for a couple of days. Plus each match gives you 'points' that add up to move you through the titles - wins get you more points and you reach that lovely 'King/Queen' title faster. Or you could just lose all the time but still get there by playing a lot. It's for fun at the end of the day!

I love 'em - sooooo happy we've got another one :wub: #teammayo

@MW_Jimmy

For the duration of the event, Turf War is the only mode available. You pick a side to play for (one repped by Marina, the other by Pearl) and play either solo or with friends. The regular ink colours are replaced by versions that represent each side (i.e. red = ketchup). At the end of the event the wins/losses for each team are tallied and one side is the victor.

As you complete matches you rank up from [Team] Fan to [Team] Queen/King. At the end of the event you receive bonus Sea Snails based on your rank. Your top is replaced for the duration by a Splatfest tee that earns ability chunks at a faster rate, and which Murch will scrub for cheap (because he loves Splatfest tees).

Also, there are random 10x and 100x battles where the 'clout' (points) you earn for your team are multiplied accordingly. This is announced right as the match starts, and adds an extra layer of excitement :)

Edit: dammit @rgraves

I was trying to get to 99 snails, at one per level up since the Splatfest's stopped. Currently on 95 or so. This is great news for me!

It's so long since I last used one I'm hazy on the details... You can pay 1 snail to re-roll a full set of 3-star gear (one with three sub-slots, all filled). Or you can pay 1 snail to add a sub-slot to 1- and 2-star gear to get it up to 3 star.

One advantage is that upgraded 1-star gear is quicker to level-up to full slots than 3-star gear. So you can 'farm' ability fragments more quickly. When full, you pay 20K to clear all slots, and you can re-use the fragments by trading in 10, 20 or 30 of the same to populate a slot.

All of this is done by Murch, sitting to the right of the lobby entrance.

Splatfests allow you to earn up to 24 snails - you need to get to King/Queen level and be on the winning side.

53 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It's a limited time event where you choose a side and battle over a weekend to see which is superior. At the end depending on how high you got in ranks you get snails which can be used to tailor gear abilities. Someone will explain that bit better because I just liked getting to "X Queen" of whatever side I chose and have never actually used the snails.

If you've never used the snails, you must have a ton of 1 and 2 sub-slot gear. Get em all up to 3 slots!

I'm so stoked for this. Although I am so rusty on Turf War; I only play Clam Blitz and Salmon Run these days.

Cheers both! Sounds like I should be piling up the ability chunks during the event by scrubbing throughout

I don't have any sea shells currently and I'm right in thinking these can be used to add ability slots to gear? Great if true as I've wanted to add slots to my straw bowler!

23 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Cheers both! Sounds like I should be piling up the ability chunks during the event by scrubbing throughout

I don't have any sea shells currently and I'm right in thinking these can be used to add ability slots to gear? Great if true as I've wanted to add slots to my straw bowler!

That's it! Yes that's the other function. You can reroll with them or add slots to gear that doesn't have the maximum.

32 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

@smac so I should try and get a 1-star set of clothes up to three slots for future farming opportunities?

Yup, if you can be bothered farming. It costs 20K to clear a normal item with 3 slots, and 2K for the splatfest T, although that has different XP points per level.

I think it's nearly double the total XP to fully upgrade a 3- star bit of kit than kit upgraded from 1 to 3 slots. If you do farm, make sure you play Salmon Run and drink an XP booster with a ticket for Crusty Sean. If you want to drill deep, some brands drop certain perks more often, but researching that will suck all the fun out.

I did have a post in here where I laid out the figures, but the various platoon wikis also explain it.

Basically - play Salmon ?Run to get Crusty Sean tickets, and always be boosting gold, XP or gear XP. Upgrade some 1* gear to 3 slots and clear it if you don't get great combinations. Look to use fragments to get specific ability sub-perks.

If you get 3 of the same sub-perk on upgraded 1* gear I wouldn't clear it m'self.

45 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Yes to the second.

Actually, if it stays true to the latest rules, your splatfest T should keep spawning chunks when it's full in the splatfest (you know, I never thought to see if the clone T did the same outside of 'Fests!)

Basically, you used to have to wear the special Tee during a Splatfest, so I expect that'll be the case here.

Keeping sea snails as the currency for ability upgrades/rerolls after Splatfests ended was an odd thing to do. Makes life harder for any latecomers and the game continues to give me money which I haven’t had anything to spend on since I don’t know when.

I expected them to add sea snails as a Salmon Run reward, but no.

Speaking of latecomers, the free trial starts tomorrow.

Agreed. Seems unfair to the newcomers - makes it that much harder to optimise your gear abilities.

I also found out that 9,999,999 is the max cash you can have. And I'm about 5 away from finding out if 99 Sea-Snails is the max you can have, too. 8 from finding out if there's another rollover at 99*

You still get one Sea Snail per level - at least you do for 1* and above - but in total that's about what you could get from four SplatFests.

Uh, is there a guide for noobs? I bought this last week to play with colleagues and was absolutely crucified, getting the lowest score every single game.

It didn't help that we played private matches, so I couldn't rank up at all. I'm a paltry 4 at the moment lol.

Base game, it's not about splatting opponents - it's about covering ground in ink. So you can avoid conflict and contribute to a win. Ink allows you to move more quickly/freely, so you want to keep your movement lanes clear, while cutting off opponents.

Get used to moving through ink, popping out to shoot, then hiding again. And shooting while jumping (while I hate bunny-hopping bastards). Be suspicious of large areas of unbroken enemy ink - maybe lob in a grenade as you approach.

Be hard to see, hit or track - keeping still while submerged means you're invisible. Moving slowly is less visible. Ninja Squid gear buff makes you almost invisible while moving. Swim speed up makes you faster and harder to hit in all cases (multiple swim speed up, stacked, is really popular for a good reason).

Know your weapon's most effective range - most are less effective at shorter or longer ranges.

Use motion controls, highest sensitivity, and get used to them. Pop open the map screen often, to see where the bad guys are inking.

You can check out levels in advance by pressing Y in the lobby - use that to learn where cover is, walls you can climb, where the sight lines are. When playing, keep sweeping your viewpoint to look for approaching enemies - learn how to spot bad guys approaching in ink.

Once you get the ability to buy new weapons, try some out. Rollers and ink rushes are popular with newer players. But the starting weapons are usable right through.

Gear has buffs - try to choose gear that addresses your weaknesses (reduced respawn times if you keep getting splatted).

Try to stick close to a colleague to cover each other's back.

I bought this off the back of the demo and will be playing it a lot, add me before the Splatfest! (Team Mayo)

SW-2460-6130-4840

Haven't got my head around chunks/tickets/sea snails yet. Will it be cheaper to scrub my splatfest tee in the week leading up to the 'fest?

Yes. A normal item of gear is 20,000 to scrub. Your splatfest Tee is 2,500, from now until the Splatfest ends.

The ‘fest tee is taken back off you at the end of the Splatfest. So you need to scrub it when you decide you've had enough.

Now, I used to think that repeated scrubbing before that was the best bet - but these days during the splatfest, your tee will still gain experience and continue to generate an ability chunk every 7500P (I think it's that many). If it does that before the fest as well, no need to scrub. Splatfest Tees have a flat XP cost; each chunk takes the same amount of training; normal gear, the first slot is much less XP than the last.

Unless you are looking for particular abilities - that is, train the Tee until full, if you don't get what you want as abilities, scrub and retrain. That's what most people do.

To this day this remains the only online shooter I can play  - just loaded up for first time in ages and still plays beautifully.

There is always something timeless about these Nintendo first party games

• 2 weeks later...

I see the appeal of Splatfests now! Seeing the maps all spruced up differently is really quite cool.

I notice there are two modes Splatfest and Splatfest Pro - seems like the normal one is better as it gives the team names and winning streaks?

Team names should be present in Pro too. They appear depending on equipment synergies between the team members.

So a team of 4 female Octolings might be called the "Octo Lady Squad". Teams wearing certain gear or using certain weapons get the same sort of thing (e.g. "The shooter squad") and they can be combined.