rllmuk
gospvg

Octopath Traveler - Square Enix's Octoposse

1 hour ago, JPickford said:

I think this game needs a casual mode.   It's like you're forced to really understand the ins and outs of the combat system right from the start. 

Have you played the first demo? There was a tutorial in there. Have to say I found it very intuitive, surprisingly so given that I haven’t played a JRPG since Skies of Arcadia.

Yeah finished the first demo but had to do a lot of googling.

In the new one I chose Ophelia and died on the boss.  I thought I was doing ok and keeping on top of my health while chipping away at the boss.  Then it came up with a 3 turn countdown and just killed me.   I've no clue what I was doing wrong and don't feel inclined to repeat it 10 times trying to work it out.

I loved the first demo and I'm even more hyped playing this one in its final/polished state. I've played through only the Primrose path in each though - I'm hoping all this alleged ye olde dialogue in other paths isn't going to spoil things too much. There's something almost decadent about such a traditional, old-fashioned 2D JRPG having these high production values. The soundtrack in particular is phenomenal.

• Upvote 1

I'm looking forward to this, might just do the one person on the demo and save the rest for the full game.

As amusingly divisive as it seems to be if the last two pages are anything to go by, I think this looks lovely, the writing is almost 80s period and the more people that say things like "vweee heee heee" in a jrpg the better IMHO and it just adds to the silliness if it's voiced. 

Hopefully the multi character stuff will introduce some clever story telling potential too rather than it all just being a snazzy looking but essentially traditional jrpg.

2 hours ago, JPickford said:

Yeah finished the first demo but had to do a lot of googling.

In the new one I chose Ophelia and died on the boss.  I thought I was doing ok and keeping on top of my health while chipping away at the boss.  Then it came up with a 3 turn countdown and just killed me.   I've no clue what I was doing wrong and don't feel inclined to repeat it 10 times trying to work it out.

@JPickford

Literally just beaten it and taking a break. It took me a few goes. I levelled up to 5 before beating it. The trick in the fight is those pink jelly things that the boss adds don’t attack, they just self-destruct after three turns doing 150 pts of damage. That’s what killed you. So kill them quick with staff and Holy light, or just have enough HP. Try to save your boosts (press R) to ramp up the Holy Light, once you’ve broken the boss, as it does huge damage. Also recruit one of the temple guards outside and summon him every round or two to take some of the heat off you.

It is pretty tough though for a mini boss, so level up and save before you go in.

• Upvote 1

So I know it says that you have access to all the characters and their storylines regardless of whom you choose to start with, but surely you skip the introductory segments for anyone you don't pick? You just meet up with them later in their story?

I've picked the scholarly Cyrus as my starting character, and I'm finding the dialogue in his introduction fine. Bit of a mystery going on with a missing library book, but Cyrus is on the case. I like a story that doesn't start with an ancient evil or a prophecy foretold.

4 hours ago, revlob said:

So I know it says that you have access to all the characters and their storylines regardless of whom you choose to start with, but surely you skip the introductory segments for anyone you don't pick? You just meet up with them later in their story?

You can start with any of the 8 characters. At the end of their introduction area you are then  encouraged to seek out the other characters (the second part of your original characters quest line will be viewable on the map but will be something like level 20 and therefore impossible). You can choose which other player to meet first and when you walk to their starting town you will be asked if you want to play their introduction area (which you do solo). Then they join your party. You can change party members at the Inn in any town, max four in a group I believe.

In my play though today I managed to get 4 characters before hitting the 3 hour limit. You get to use any path actions for anyone in your current group (pickpocket/provoke/purchase etc)

Combat must scale depending on how many party members you have as fights don't seem to be much quicker even with 3 or 4 in a group. It's a lot more fun with more members of course, as you have access to more actions.

Have played all the characters except for the dancer and warrior as I played them in the previous demo. The Hunter starting area is the only place where they speak Ye Olde English so far.

• Upvote 2

My main concern is the enemy level scaling. Given the structure of the game I'm not sure how else they could have done it, but I'm not a fan at all of areas/enemies scaling according to your progress.

• Upvote 1

Re the olde English cack, there’s all a bit of that from an NPC in Ophilia’s story. Except it’s even worse. Phrases like “Here is the Lantorn that thou must holden!”

Still, it’s few and far between.

15 hours ago, ann coulter said:

My main concern is the enemy level scaling. Given the structure of the game I'm not sure how else they could have done it, but I'm not a fan at all of areas/enemies scaling according to your progress.

Agreed. I can't think of a more deviant form of hand-holding.

15 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Agreed. I can't think of a more deviant form of hand-holding.

I don't play many JRPGs but this might be the one to draw me in. It looks absolutely gorgeous, especially in handheld. I deliberately held off playing much of the first demo (not least because the generic icon sullied my hand-curated dashboard) because I knew I'd get the full game but given this carries over, I'm going to give it the full three hours. I'm starting as Tressa because I fancied some seaside ambience and the music is once again stunning.

I don't mind the goofy dialogue and stuff, either. It adds to the charm for me. It's a hyperreal romanticised Europa filtered through an earnest Japanese notion of heroism and good humour. A refreshing lack of massive tits spilling out over the pop-up decor thus far but maybe that'll come as DLC. 

• Upvote 1

I’m finally playing the first demo and am hella confused. The combat seems to work on a turn basis ala darkest dungeon but I can’t see any hit points in the enemy. I have to break them first by doing a random amount of damage?

Am I being dumb?

No, you don’t get to know how many hit points the enemy has, that’s pretty typical of JRPGs. 

Every enemy is weak against a certain type of attack (sword, axe, bow, etc.) and hitting it with that weapon will reduce its shield points (denoted by the little number set against a blue shield); each attack reduces the number by one, until the enemy breaks and is forced to miss a turn, giving you a free hit and cancelling whatever attack they had brewing. 

You can also boost the number of attacks you do each turn by pressing R. You gain a boost point every turn and can spend up to four at once, but don’t gain any in the turn you spend them. 

Say for example an enemy was brewing a very strong attack and had 3 shield points. If you were able to boost and hit it 3 times you’d break it, saving yourself from being hit. Make sense?

• Upvote 1

Hitting the enemy while they are broken does more damage too. 

You get a hint as to how my much health an enemy has by the colour of their name when you highlight them (green, orange, red). 

One of the characters (the scholar i think?) unveils one or two of the enemies weaknesses at the start of the fight which is pretty neat.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MattKB said:

That helps tons thanks dude. Presumably on the second demo, the prologue save carries over to the main game?

Yeah your progress in the second demo carries over into the full game. I wouldn’t even bother with the first to be honest!

4 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

You get a hint as to how my much health an enemy has by the colour of their name when you highlight them (green, orange, red). 

I did not know that, good spot!

Every time a new tune plays I'm swooning here. This is probably the game I'm most looking forward to now. Loving the combat and the characters so far (Tressa quest) and that music. Wowzers 

• Upvote 2

Thanks. I just killed someone when they had shield of 1 so presumably if you do enough damage it spills over?

Unkess I used an ability but thought I was out of ability points

That three hours was over way too quickly.

Had you put twelve-year-old me in charge of designing a sequel to Final Fantasy VI, it wouldn't be all too dissimilar from Octopath Traveler, I reckon. I've really enjoyed these demos, I think it's going to be the best RPG I've played in a long time.

• Upvote 1

I've only touched two characters (Tressa the merchant and the dancer from the first demo) and I was quickly on board with their motivations and obstacles. It doesn't seem especially funny or goofy, in fact, it's pretty sincere and plucky. I like it. Really like the combat, though, and it looks marvellous, it's like a pop-up book crossed with a SNES FF. Music is the best bit for me, as I say. 

• Upvote 1

Started this on the train home from work.  My god, it's beautiful, isn't it?  It's kinda like a dream version of my memories of Super Nintendo RPGs

Lovely!  I chose the thief.  Planning on rinsing the demo to see if Switch will help me actually manage to enjoy a JRPG.  Last I properly got into was FF7/8...

On 15/06/2018 at 10:22, metallicfrodo said:

Started the demo last night. Love the art style, but my goodness the dialogue is hideous, all looken thou etc. They just seem to have added random letters to the end of some words in some attempt to make it olde english or something. I'm just not sure that I could put up with that for a whole game.

This is playing as H'annit, so I suppose it might be different for the others.

Unfortunately I find myself in complete agreement with this. I’m usually very forgiving  in RPGs, overlooking terrible voice acting and story writing and art, etc. But there is something so grating about the letters added to every other word to make it sound olde English that I just found myself tuning out and skipping the dialogue completely. I’m hoping I’m being too judgemental and when the full game releases and impressions hit, it will be less of an issue than what I have seen. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

Are the characters genuinely lovable or compelling, or is this more an RPG for battles, graphics and nostalgia?

I was initially a bit hesitant about having to play through the introductory segments of all eight characters, but after witnessing those of Tressa and Cyrus, I'm looking forward to it. Along with Olberic from the first demo, everything I've seen so far has suggested the eight are all very different characters with varied backgrounds and motivations. There's a good dash of personality and humour in the writing; the first chapter of Tressa's story sees you staging a caper against some pirates and it felt like it could have been taken straight out of FF6. In Cyrus' tale, the bookish scholar mistakes the romantic affections of a student for a fervent desire towards her studies, while fancying himself a hardboiled detective trying to crack the case of a missing library book.

Try the demo! Pick the starting character that appeals to you most, and see what you think.

• Upvote 1

Playing a bit more of this now, golly it's lovely! I like the break system, seems like it could make things really interesting.. 

Re. Olde English, I've started as the thief and have basically seen none. I actually think the writing is quite endearing and lovely from what I've seen. 

I wonder if the Olde English is used to denote wealth or class status, there's definitely been a bit more of a  'cockerney' vibe to the dialogue in the area I've started. 

1 minute ago, robdood said:

Playing a bit more of this now, golly it's lovely! I like the break system, seems like it could make things really interesting.. 

Re. Olde English, I've started as the thief and have basically seen none. I actually think the writing is quite endearing and lovely from what I've seen. 

I wonder if the Olde English is used to denote wealth or class status, there's definitely been a bit more of a  'cockerney' vibe to the dialogue in the area I've started. 

I'm glad to hear this. Ive not played either demo as I wanted to wait for release to dive in but the idea of the full game being riddled with Olde English had dampened my enthusiasm.

I mean I can stomach the odd character in an RPG speaking in Olde English to make them appear regal or wiser or whatever (FFXIV, which I'm currently playing, has a few of them). Even a game just throwing it in here or there for flavour, like Dragon's Dogma, is tolerable ("aught" this and "aught" that). But I was a little worried to read the impressions above that Octopath might have overdone it.

Hmm. Maybe I should just give the demo a go after all...

I think the Olde English is just in one area.   I've played 3 characters in this demo and 2 in the other one and only one of that 5 had Olde English.  The one with the wolf pet.