rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
gospvg

Octopath Traveler - Square Enix's Octoposse

7 hours ago, Popo said:

This looks to be a day one purchase for me. I found the demo really engaging - didn’t understand the concept of breaks initially, but once the penny dropped i suddenly realised what an intelligent and rewarding battle system it has, looking forward to see how it scales up in terms of challenge and abilities. 

Found the english voice voice overs to be a bit grating but solved by switching to Japanese. Thematically, the fact that it isn’t tweeny, cliched fare is a positive. Nice to see a JRPG aimed at an older audience. 

Further evidenced by the nostalgic, 16-bit how you remember it, not how it was, visuals. It’s clearly aimed at an audience who were raised on Final Fantasy VI, and certainly nothing wrong with that. 

Ive got a very long flight coming up in a couple of weeks, too bad this won’t be out by then. Is Bravely Default worth checking out?

Edit - have just found out it’s a 3DS title, never mind!

Oh that’s a shame, because it really is fantastic!  And the sequel Bravely Second.

For me Bravely Default’s battle/job system was absolutely fantastic and the best I’ve played in years.  You switch and level individual jobs, sort of like FFV or even FFX-2.  And the story/characters were awesome. :wub: 

What? It looks beautiful. One of the best looking games I've ever seen. And apart from half of LTTP, I've never played early RPGs.

I have found it a bit tough viewing handheld in reflective environments to be honest.  I love the effect of the honed in field of view (eg underground with a light source) but it presented some practical challenges.

I think there's an option for added brightness when in dungeons. But I've never played my Switch anywhere where reflections are a problem. It's mostly couch gaming for me.

3 hours ago, jonamok said:

I think there's an option for added brightness when in dungeons. But I've never played my Switch anywhere where reflections are a problem. It's mostly couch gaming for me.

When I get home I won’t have any issues either :) ahh British winter :wub: 

I've played the demo multiple times now, being torn between playing it even more or leaving it so I won't spoil the final game. (Too late for the soundtrack though...)

Sure, the multiple characters may sound SaGa as do the personal skills, but damn, this is Final Fantasy VI-II to me and the equivalent of catnip. Helgenish is Kefkaesque. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if they renamed this to Final Fantasy Gaiden or something of the sort. It's in essence what I wanted FF VII to be.

• Upvote 3

I love that Project Octopath Traveler has now been given the official name, Octopath Traveler.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, VN1X said:

Looks a bit good doesn't it?

pdmpvam.gif

9KNofii.gif

It's one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. The lighting and depth of field effects are just immensely attractive. Cannot wait.

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Stop writing it with two L's. Your zany spelling doesn't work here. ;)

You what :blush:

• Upvote 1

The out of focus glistening sunlight on the water is beautiful. It's a cool effect in and of itself but the depth of field makes it look like tilt shift footage of a tiny little cardboard theatre play set.

Echoes of FF6, Tatics Ogre, FF Tactics (+Advance). It's magnificent.

• Upvote 1

Nothing special. Just take any word that you like and then tie a name or whatever to each letter. 

V - Vengeance

N - No

1 - One

X - (has) Xperienced

See? Just made that up and now I look well smart and cool.

Does the softness of the resolution on the sprites in the demo irritate/put off anyone else?  

23 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Nothing special. Just take any word that you like and then tie a name or whatever to each letter. 

V - Vengeance

N - No

1 - One

X - (has) Xperienced

See? Just made that up and now I look well smart and cool.

I - Not

D - Sure

G - If

I - Serious

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, jonamok said:

I - Not

D - Sure

G - If

I - Serious

No I'm saying you can make up any title and then retroactively attach names to the individual letters. Wow amazing. :P

I've had a bit too much vinegar for breakfast I reckon. 

13 hours ago, jonamok said:

I expect so, it’s the Internet.

But I love everything about it.

Oh, I'm still buying it :)

13 hours ago, Treble said:

Does the softness of the resolution on the sprites in the demo irritate/put off anyone else?  

I usually do, but for some reason this just works for me.

I know there are some in the pixel-art community that are going completely haywire over this game, calling it an abomination. For me it's all I ever wanted from beyond the 16-bit era. :P

32 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I know there are some in the pixel-art community that are going completely haywire over this game, calling it an abomination.

Madness. Those people are crazy. This is what I imagine graphics to have evolved like (just one of the many potential ways, mind you) if polygons didn't come along. There's still so much potential in 2D graphics, way beyond even what Octopath is doing.

But for now Octopath is the most beautiful game of 2018 for sure and I needs it :wub:

• Upvote 2

That is an interesting prospect. What would have been the biggest games if everything was still 2D only?  What would it look like with the budgets of today’s franchises?

I fully expect you fellow Octobros to shout good and loud the instant you see the Special Edition of this go up for pre-order anywhere in the UK. Gotta have that pop-up book. Unless it’s £100 and a Game exclusive. Probably :unsure:.

I’ve been posting in the Switch thread about that - my order was accepted earlier this morning and the status has progressed to “in process”, I’ve got everything crossed!