rllmuk
gospvg

Octopath Traveler - Square Enix's Octoposse

Accidentally wandered into a danger level 52 area yesterday... I ran  the fuck away VERY quickly :p
Love how you can just be waking around, all powerful, feeling like you can take on anything and then you flip to the next screen and the rols are reversed and you're fleeing for your life, amazing how much of a breath of fresh air this is seeing as it's a throw back to older style games.

• Empathy 1

59 minutes ago, Pungee said:

I don't think you need to have all the characters before the shrines show up. Without being too specific, look around for a weird icon on the mini map in areas that lead to the chapter 2 cities. 

Ah, thanks, I think I've been playing with the mini map turned off.

I’d recommend use of a guide for some things in this. If you’ve got all the time in the world then maybe not but this thread is the only place I heard about shrines, not been mentioned in the game yet and I have all the characters. 

I just looked up where they all were. I also used a guide for some of the side quest mini task things. There’s no joy for me in second guessing esoteric NPCs or searching for something that could be anywhere. 

I dont like ‘cheating’ or spoiling things for myself with guides, but I’d say those two things are just saving time and would recommend it as the sooner you get some of that stuff done the better the game becomes. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DC LEMON said:

I feel so guilty towards Ophelia. Seven of my characters are over Lv. 20 while she sits at Lv. 8. Cleric Prim 4 life.

I've just picked her up, so only level 3 currently, but as I've gained new characters, I have swapped out my highest level character, slowly bring up a team who will hopefully all be about the same level by the time I am done. Going forward I'll be taking the appropraite character on their story quest, along with the weaker members to make it a little more challenging and also because I'll be doing all sorts of grinding to get them higher :)

I'm at 27 hours played now, my team all have a sub job and are all level 21 and over, with my main being 28. They've all got some sweet gear and ready for the chapter 2 quests. I've visited all the chapter 2 towns so I can fast travel to them, cleared 3 small dungeons (one of which had a nasty boss at the end!) and done around 60% of the side quests I've picked up along the way. Unsure if I want to clear up more side quests with the help of a guide or progress the main stories.

I love everything about the game, it's meeting my very high expectations and in some regards exceeding them; the combat and music in particular.

• Upvote 3

22 hours in. Ophilia’s my main, so up to level 27-28 now along with the rest of CTO. The PATH crew are stuck at 8-10, so I need to start bringing them onboard in ones and twos for their Chapter 2s.

First thing I did when I got all the jobs was create Dance-off Olberic, his ‘Gerudo-Link’ outfit is epic. Although I did like Paladin white outfit too.

Also Tressa’s Thieving-Merchant gear is an awesome purple number.

• Upvote 2

8 hours in and this game does so many things right: the radar is brilliant, the world map is super easy to read, I love all of the skills that let you interact with the NPC's in different ways, all of the diverging paths simply lead to chests or other collectables and overall the level design simply makes the game a breeze to play as you never get stuck or feel overwhelmed, the combat system is involving and fast paced which makes the random encounters far less cumbersome as well (as is usually the case in these types of games) and generally the game is just super relaxing and a joy to play thanks to the wonderful soundtrack and striking visuals. It's great! :)

• Upvote 2

While the relief in beating one is palpable, some of the boss fights are interminable. One Chapter 2 boss took 20 minutes, despite me having all subjobs equipped, some quality gear (best I can find/afford/steal), buffing and BP swapping like crazy. I had him stunlocked for most of it, and must have done tens of thousands of HP. It’s fun for a while, but there’s minimal skill, it just takes way too long, and I dread Chapter 4 bosses.

19 minutes ago, jonamok said:

While the relief in beating one is palpable, some of the boss fights are interminable. One Chapter 2 boss took 20 minutes, despite me having all subjobs equipped, some quality gear (best I can find/afford/steal), buffing and BP swapping like crazy. I had him stunlocked for most of it, and must have done tens of thousands of HP. It’s fun for a while, but there’s minimal skill, it just takes way too long, and I dread Chapter 4 bosses.

Are you sure you're correctly exploiting all of their individual skills? I mean it all depends on your party of course but some characters have the ability to apply debuffs on enemies which makes it super easy to dish out a ton of damage quickly. You can definitely combo a lot of attacks that way. 

4 hours ago, Fallows said:

How is the story?/How are the stories?

It's probably the weakest part of the game to be honest. There doesn't appear to be any kind of overarching plot and nothing to tie the 8 individual stories together. 

I actually find it quite refreshing to focus on the separate character stories as opposed to the typical JRPG "save the world from generic threat" stuff but some chapters/characters are more interesting than others.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VN1X said:

Are you sure you're correctly exploiting all of their individual skills? I mean it all depends on your party of course but some characters have the ability to apply debuffs on enemies which makes it super easy to dish out a ton of damage quickly. You can definitely combo a lot of attacks that way. 

Probably not the optimal combo, but all 8 jobs are covered, and it’s obviously all about the constant battle to optimise everyone’s turn between magic attack, item attack, physical attack, analysing, defence, buff, debuff, BP management, shield chipping, healing, SP recovery etc etc. And then adjusting that mix on the fly based on the enemy/boss weaknesses.

But I don’t have the skill/patience to get that incredibly complex mix super optimal.

Any tips for the blue flame boss, keep getting slapped by the exploding dudes.

just a case of grinding a bit and levelling Ophelia ?

7 minutes ago, sid said:

Any tips for the blue flame boss, keep getting slapped by the exploding dudes.

just a case of grinding a bit and levelling Ophelia ?

Are you soloing it with Ophelia? If so, take in a guard from outside the cave using the Guide ability. One of the guards has a heal ability as well as an attack the boss is weak to.

Even with other party members, I'd just ignore the dark wisps and focus on the boss dealing attacks he's weak to (light?) and keep everyone's health above 200hp as that's the wisps attack damage. :)

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Janski said:

It's probably the weakest part of the game to be honest. There doesn't appear to be any kind of overarching plot and nothing to tie the 8 individual stories together. 

I actually find it quite refreshing to focus on the separate character stories as opposed to the typical JRPG "save the world from generic threat" stuff but some chapters/characters are more interesting than others.

Spoiler

I watched the Plus game extra dungeon video on Youtube.

There is a losely tied overarching plot that ties everyone in

37 minutes ago, probotector said:

Reveal hidden contents

I watched the Plus game extra dungeon video on Youtube.

There is a losely tied overarching plot that ties everyone in

Ooh, sounds juicy. I'm 30hrs in and have only done one chapter 2 mission so far. I love exploring the map and there's  loads of cities and quests to find.

Loving the combat too, I've leveled up loads by getting lucky and fighting Caits. Primrose has a skill that can give random buffs in a fight, some of which are to get 5x JP or EXP at the end of a fight!

It’s not always a buff. If you’re daring to use it in a boss fight, it’s best to do so at the start. Lowering the defences of your entire party is not the most productive use of SP...

8 minutes ago, Mogster said:

One of the enemy weaknesses in this looks like a green flame, but I can't figure out what it is. None of my abilities seem to match it. :unsure:

It's wind damage. 

Spoiler

Tressa

has it as one of their skills.

• Upvote 1

On 15/07/2018 at 11:15, VN1X said:
On 15/07/2018 at 07:35, Rikku said:

Can anyone confirm the extent of the olde language in the full game?  Is H'aanit the worst of the bunch?

I don't recall it being as thick in the original demo when playing Primrose, if the other 6 characters are on Primrose level then I could perhaps live with it. :)

LETTEN US BEGINNEN!

But yeah you UK folk are an odd bunch. Zero issues with the game's regional dialect myself. I think it was the same when The VVitch came out; loads of people disliking it because the characters spoke they way they did, you know people from 17th century New England would sound? THAT SURE IS WEIRD! 

I'm not too sure I understand what's odd about asking if the one thing I disliked about the demo was rampant throughout the entire game, or restricted (as I had hoped). 

Thanks to @Mogster and @Mitchell for the confirmation I needed.  I picked it up and really pleased that I did. 

I just finished recruiting everyone today, done a bunch of chapter 1 side quest stuff, and unlocked all the shrines that I wanted.  I got really, really lucky with some early Cait skills so my main party is of a good level and I'm just about to hit Therions chapter 2 main quest.

My pary at the moment is made up of Therion who is a 31 Thief / Hunter, Olberic who is a 31 Warrior / Merchant, Ophilia who is a 29 Cleric / Dancer (which I feel a bit guilty about, I'm on this holy pilgrimage and dancing on the side?) and finally Cyrus who is a 30 Scholar / Apothecary.  I'm sure there are far better combinations once support skills have been learned.  (Can you only equip support skills from the secondary job you have equipped, or is it a case of once you have learned it, you can equip it regardless of job?) The battle system feels really familiar due to putting hundreds of hours in to Bravely Default and Bravely Second, although I can't help but feel spoiled from Bravely Second where grinding was made much easier by the automation options.

The music is just gorgeous, and I think the game has a lot of charm about it.  I'm really pleased that my judgey second demo impressions were all wrong and you never know, H'aanit has time yet to win me over.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, JPickford said:

Yeah maybe it's not as annoying if you aren't British but the Olde English in the demo was unbearable.  Painful.  

It’s not that bad and only one character.  What’s worse is the voice actor not knowing how to pronounce Crivens.