rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
gospvg

Octopath Traveler - Square Enix's Octoposse

I’ve pre-ordered this to download it before release, because I’m away from home and the WiFi is shit. The only other games I’ve pre-ordered digitally were Destiny and No Man’s Sky, so some might say I haven’t had the best of luck in this arena.

Embargo lifts at 2pm. I got my copy yesterday but have had no chance as yet to play due to football and work commitments.

Really excited to get stuck into it though - loved the demo and all of the 'negative' early impressions so far haven't bothered me in the slightest as the lack of an overarching story/Big Bad isn't a dealbreaker for me at all. 

Mine arrived today. Got football tonight and a work summer do tomorrow afternoon but hope to get stuck in some time in between.

6 hours ago, Fallows said:

You keep banging on about this one. I really must get around to starting (and finishing) it.

It's not perfect don't get me wrong, voice acting is hit and miss but overall I absolutely loved it. Battle system is amazing.

Read a few reviews now, a couple of the lowest scoring ones and a couple of the higher scoring ones. I’m pretty darn sure I’m going to love this.

Only bad review I've seen is the Kotaku guy who hated Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Sounds good to me!

Still playing XC2 mind, so I'll wait until someone falls off the Octopath hype train and lists it in trading.

Only started the Demo this morning to see if it was something I enjoy and — overly slow cutscenes aside — it is. I think I’ll be picking it up this weekend. 

i shall be picking up my cheap Smyths copy today :)

I think my party of four will be the Scholar, the Merchant, the Thief and the Dancer. What's everyones preferred party of 4 ?

On 11/07/2018 at 16:27, Flub said:

White text black background. As lazy as it gets

My Switch’s home screen is insulted by this slight against it but I remain hopeful that ResetERA won’t allow this serious violation of the rules to go unchecked or unpatched.

• Upvote 1

Put a couple of hours in this morning and I’m having a wonderful time playing it. There’s just something about this game that makes me feel all warm inside :)

Started as Therion, the thief. I want to be able to get all the purple chests along the way. His steal SP is insane when boosted and the next unlockable skill means I can share his SP with another character. Think I'll pick up the Apothecary, Scholar and Merchant for my first party of 4.

I’ve started out as Alfyn because (1) my dog’s name is Alfie and (2) I’m used to playing the role of healer in team based shooters so feel at home here.

This is only £39.99 in GAME on the high st. That has made me seriously tempted 

• Upvote 4

I'm up for a meaty JRPG but can't decide if I want this or Xenoblade Chronicles 2. 

I'm on the fence on if I'll pick this up on my way home or not.

Having put hours into the demo I'm into the aesthetics, and the mechanics – whilst obviously limited to start with – look promising for when you have a full party with a mish-mash of Job abilities. The point of contention, for me, is the writing.

The localisation itself seems of a good quality but everything that comes out of a character's mouth is so... perfunctory. It's all one-note tropes spewing exposition in the clumsiest way possible. Charitably you could chalk this up as part of the 'throwback' appeal of Octopath, but who looks back fondly on '90s JRPG scripts?

On a somewhat similar note, it's also really disappointing that the various characters don't appear to interact in any way. I can understand why they wouldn't want to make the outcomes of story events too dependant on party composition, but from what I can tell the only acknowledgment you get between characters is the totally generic greeting when you first discover a new traveller. Even a couple of lines of bespoke dialogue for those meetings, and perhaps a few mid-battle exchanges when a party member get a crit or something, would go a long way to adding some much needed humanity to the cast.

• Upvote 1

A few tips:

Don't forget to unlock new abilities every now and again. It only prompts you the first time.

Once you've got a new chapter, head back into their town and there will be new side quests. These can be quite cryptic and some wont be possible until you have different characters for new path actions.

just a heads up as not sure if it's been mentioned before, but I just encountered an enemy called "Cait" the first time it ran away, second time I managed to fight and kill it along with the other mobs, went from level 13 to 16 in one sitting as it granted me 1000 experience points and the joys of an extra 100 as the enemies were on "Break" when they died, so well worth keeping an eye out and trying to fight those :)

@Ferine I'm the same. What you just discussed is half of what make these games, for me. They are the only time I care about writing and story, and put narrative first ahead of game play mechanics.